What universities are suggested for psychiatrists?
Hello, this is Lana once again speaking for her friend pearla this time! I struggle with my mental health, when I actually concentrate consistently I tend to do alright! but in certain circumstances I feel out of control and lay back on work. I don't know where to start or where to continue, any recommendations for colleges? how the experience was? and advice in general for a girl going into senior year?! I plan to study psychology and im also unsure whether I should complete my path here in the UAE or in the US.
3 answers
Justin’s Answer
As for the UAE vs. the US, I’d start with **where you ultimately want to live and work**, especially with psychology where licensing and degree requirements can vary by country. Don’t assume a degree will automatically transfer or qualify you to practice somewhere else—research how each country recognizes the degree before choosing.
A lot of these questions don’t have one right answer. Figure out where you want to end up, then work backward from there.
Chinyere Okafor
Chinyere’s Answer
If Pearla's goal is to become a psychiatrist, I wouldn't focus too much on finding a university that is specifically "the best for psychiatry" at the undergraduate level. Psychiatry is a medical specialty, so the bigger decision is choosing a good undergraduate program that will prepare her for medical school.
She can major in Psychology if that's what she enjoys. A psychology major is perfectly acceptable for medical school. The important thing is to complete the science courses required by the medical schools she plans to apply to. Medical schools don't generally require students to major in biology or another science.
If she's deciding between studying in the UAE and the U.S., I would compare the full pathway rather than choosing based only on the university's name. If she studies in the U.S., the usual route is undergraduate study, medical school, and then a four-year psychiatry residency.
The UAE has its own medical education pathways, including undergraduate-entry medical programs. For example, UAE University requires a one-year internship after medical graduation for registration as a medical practitioner.
I'd suggest looking at the cost, admission requirements, support available to international students, where she ultimately wants to practice medicine, and how easy it will be to move from her chosen medical school into the licensing and residency system she wants.
And about what you said regarding your mental health, please be kind to yourself. You don't need to have everything figured out before senior year. If you notice that stress or low mood is making it difficult to keep up with school, talking to a trusted adult, school counselor, or mental health professional could help.
For now, focus on finding a university where you can do well academically, get involved in psychology or health-related activities, and build a strong foundation for medical school. You have time to figure out the rest.
Best wishes!