If you could redo college, what would you do differently?

121
121

Edmond’s Answer

8

Two things: (1) I would have tried to convince one of my professors to be my mentor; (2) team up with other students for study and homework. It's OK to study on your own but find one or two other students who are better than you are in a given subject and do some of the harder homework together. In that setting where we explain the topic verbally, the brain functions much better.

8

Marina’s Answer

8
Mireia,

Personally, I would be more focused, waste less time and get more sleep. Sometimes in college you become overwhelmed with new found freedom and experiences, that it's easy for your studies to become less of a priority. It's good to be mindful of that and keep a schedule of the work you need to accomplish and stick to it.
Thank you so much for your advice! Mireia R.
You're welcome. Best of luck! Marina Cubias-Castro
STUDY ABROAD!!! Kristen (Field) Manfield
8

4
Well, honestly, I would have enjoyed life more. You have your whole life ahead of you to be saddled with adult responsibilities. I would have gone out more, explored new and different things, and taken the time to be a kid. I was a nerdy, goody two-shoes who never got in trouble. While I do NOT advocate doing anything illegal that will potentially jeopardize your entire future life and career, it is important to learn how to socialize and relax. In fact, socializing is actually a required skill for successful networking and career-advancement. Everything in moderation!

Kim
Thank you so much for your insight! Mireia R.
I couldn't agree more with you Kim. College is the time to not only discover yourself , but make everlasting memories. You have put across the answer beautifully. Kudos. Priyanka Agrawal
Though i agree with your answer, sometimes i feel like i should have utilised it a bit for efficiently. I've spent like 80% of the time making memories and 20% to actually study. Looking back, I feel that i could've probably pushed the needle a little towards studies as well. Not that I'm not happy with where i am but just a thought. Surendra Kanala
4

Kaelynn E.’s Answer

3
My biggest regret from college is not looking into a study abroad program. Projects, homework, taking classes, all of that will continue throughout your career, but traveling is something that will continually give you new perspectives. When you get out into the "real world" you will find your time is much more limited (if you thought that was even possible), so try to make the most of your entire college experience in the most rewarding ways possible.
3

JENNA’s Answer

2
I would have focused harder on my language classes, I would have studied abroad during the semester, and I would have been more involved- I wish I had participated in more events, organizations or volunteer activities. I really value the friendships I created in college- I would have worked harder to cultivate more of them.
Thank you for your insight! Mireia R.
2

Eugene’s Answer

2

As you progress through your career, we tend to focus on getting jobs done and working to achieve stretch goals. Time to dedicate to Learning becomes harder, so firstly, I would appreciate the time at college.

Secondly, sometimes we are too hard on ourselves on trying to achieve a grade. You only have a certain amount of energy, so be clear on your outcomes ie. Grade can be necessary vs I'm just here to build a skill.

Thirdly, I would not focus on studying something to get the big $$$. This doesnt mean to ignore it but don't forget to feed the soul and explore different subjects. Experiment don't be afraid to fail.

Colleague is great to develop your thinking and build relationships. It takes practice. I wish I had better habits. Read more, write more papers without trying to make it perfect. Journalling is another great too to create clarity of thought. These give you great foundations to build upon and then you spend most of your energy growing, instead of trying to catch up :)

Eugene recommends the following next steps:

• journalling
2

Amanda’s Answer

2

I would have taken part in more activities and used all the services that were offered. I was too focused on just the work. I think I missed out on a lot.

Thank you for sharing! Mireia R.
2

Christina’s Answer

2

I would have gotten more involved in the school itself- student government, clubs, etc. This would have given me a more well -rounded experience and an opportunity to meet different people. I went to school with a lot of my friends and we had a great time, but meeting other people would have given me an opportunity to get different perspectives. In addition, I would also have connected with more of my professors to gain some professional mentorship. #liveandlearn

2

Matthew’s Answer

2
I would have built a broader network. Nowhere else do you have such easy access to people with such different backgrounds, interests and aspirations. One thing I have learned after college is that you have no idea how a relationship or interaction in the past will generate an opportunity in the future. Your life experiences will be more meaningful if you are open to expanding your network and the journey will be infinitely more exciting.
2

Lauren’s Answer

1
What a good question! I loved my experience but I think I would have made an effort to study abroad. I love to travel now, but I think the experience of living somewhere totally different for a while would have been incredibly valuable. I also would have studied a language more seriously (I took one semester of Spanish).
1

Karin’s Answer

0
This is a bit of a tough question. One thing is maybe a bit more willing to try classes that pushed me. I am a bit stubborn about learning sometimes, I want it to be a subject that really excites me and I'm passionate about. In college I took classes that I thought were most interesting, but didn't always help me in my career. I would look outside my comfort zone a bit more than I did.
0

Justin’s Answer

0
If I could do college differently, I would have joined organizations related to my major in my first year rather than waiting until the middle of my college career. Joining organizations early on gives you a better understanding of the profession you plan on pursuing and it allows you to network with other professionals and ask about their personal experiences. Best of luck on your college endeavours!
0

Sergio’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

If I can do college all over again I would do a combination of what I already did and a couple of other new things. In college I focused on being able to balance having great grades and being as involved as possible. In that aspect what I would do differently is instead of being so involved in Greek Life I would also have been more involved in academic/professional clubs and become an executive board member of those clubs. By doing so, I would've gotten more exposure to like minded individuals and other professionals. I would also have also done more consistent research in what majors are in high demand and really analyze if I can see myself working in that industry.

0

Sheila’s Answer

0

Hello Mireia:

This is a great question; thank you. If I could go back in time and redo college I'd do the following:

1) Scholarship Opportunities: Take advantage of all the current scholarship opportunities. There are so many scholarship opportunities out there until most students miss out probably due to their lack of knowledge on where to go for them by not doing their research in advance.

2) Work Part-time: I worked a full-time job while I was in college including during the summer. If I could redo I would have worked part-time and got more involved with on-campus activities and organizations. But, I was thankful for the company's tuition reimbursement program because this helped out financially.

3) Seek a Mentor: Although I was a very diligent student I wish I had seek out a mentor while in college.

I wish you much success on your journey. Best of luck to you!

~ Sheila

0

Emilio’s Answer

0
Hi there!!

College was a great experience for me, but I wish I took more online classes at community colleges. This would have saved me money and allowed me to focus more on my upper division classes.
0

Anuja’s Answer

0

Hello,

I have would have done a lot of independent projects that cover the subjects from my majors. Also, I would have joined a club and taken part in lots of club activity.

0

Ruben’s Answer

0
Hello Mireia,

To be honest, I would not change a thing. I had the time of my life. I was able to meet lots of new people. I was active with many clubs and organizations. Travelled throughout the US attending conferences and meeting more people. I also worked as an intern for Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) for six months and received school credit. I also played intramural sports on campus. This social aspect of college was possible due to great time management. Time management was key in having time to do all the things I wanted to do and still do good in school. I surrounded myself with good people and always took care of business/school work. I guess one thing I would like to have done would be study abroad in Italy or Spain. Other than that, I would do everything exactly the same all over again. Great times, great memories, and great friends...
0

Alnaya’s Answer

0
Personally, I would've a slightly larger school with more majors and minors. The university I attended was good! However, I wish to have more options. Plus, the availability for classes were not that great. Pick your school wisely. In regards to social life, BE YOURSELF! I strongly believe it is essential to remain true to yourself and not change who you are.
0

0

If i could redo college, will try to understand what companies are looking to recruit from my college and learn more about them. This will help in aligning my choice of the company based on my career goals. Look to connect with the Alumni of the college.

0

Paul’s Answer

0
I would have studied abroad. This would have pushed me more out of my comfort zone and allowed me to travel. I also would have done speech and debate.
0

Christina’s Answer

0
I would ask one of my professor to be my mentor and focus more on building relationships with people as well as focus more on my studies. With the freedom you have in university, there are so many things you can do and explore what you like. As you enter into the workforce, you have less time for yourself, to travel, to meet people, to build relationships and to explore what you are passionate about.

Christina recommends the following next steps:

• Build relationships
  • Find a mentor
0

Donna’s Answer

0
Get involved. Whether it is in campus life or in the community. Volunteer. Start networking earlier and looking for a mentor. I spent my college years taking 21-25 credits per semester and needing to pass with all A's. I should have taken a bit more time for a social life and maybe an A- or B. I would have been happier for it.
0

Owen’s Answer

0
I would suggest you not to rush to do your work. The important thing is not finish the homework or project as soon as possible, but to think carefully about how the system behind the question works. When you do that, you will not only know the answer to the question, but also gain much more beside this specific question.
0

Kendrall’s Answer

0
There isn't much I would change about my college experience except for one thing - I would focus more on getting tangible professional experience. I majored in what I wanted to, and I'm happy with my decision. I created amazing relationships with people I still know and trust today. I did my best to balance fun and work, and I'm happy with the experiences made. The one area I didn't get what I should have was with internships, apprenticeships, etc. Granted - I was a college football player, and we were basically forbidden from having 'real' jobs when I played. That said, if I'd known then, what I know now, I certainly would have used that time to get more experience under my belt.

When you graduate, you'll be asked questions like, "What's your experience with ........" or "Have you ever.........". If you take the time to get some of those experiences (in your field of interest) before you graduate, you'll be much more competitive.
0

Rick’s Answer

0
I would really try to think about the type of things that excite me and I love to do. Than, find a career focus that would allow me to use what I love. I think it is important to do what you like and if you can make money doing it that is really good. Good luck in your future.
0

Alex’s Answer

0
I think I would take advantage of all that a college has to offer. I was so focused on my studies that I missed out on numerous extra-curricular activities. Obviously you need to be focused but setting aside some time for other interests will be beneficial in the end.
0

Jillian’s Answer

0
I would have done more within the college community and be more active in all of the programs that my school offered. I would have also taken advantage of travel and going abroad.
0

Victor’s Answer

0
Network more and Join organizations related to my major. Give back to my community.
0

TV’s Answer

0

Dear Mireia,

I graduated from college almost 8 years back and the memories that I made are still fresh in mind. I had a fabulous time in college which involved lots of challenges like stressful nights before exam, worrying about results etc. However, I had a great group of friends, who were my support system during those tough times. Eventually everything fell into place but in hindsight I feel I could have worked harder and earned better grades. But that certainly cannot take away the great time I had there.

So, if I could redo college, I would work harder, learn more and make many many more memories!

TV recommends the following next steps:

• Maintain a schedule
  • Don't forget to have some fun
0

Glen’s Answer

0
I would study more, to get into a different course, I work in IT but would like to work in Psychology
0

Cookie’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

Personally, I would have taken a little more time to find something that I was passionate about and that I LOVED doing!
0

Nishanth’s Answer

0
I'd use the time to explore myself a lot more. I was too scared to fail and so never tried enough things. With all that time in the world, I wish I learnt to sing / play an instrument / learn a new language. But again, I had a lot of fun too! And those days continue to be one of my best memories. So, yeah, as usual keep that balance!
0

Denise’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia! That is definitely a good question. Looking back, I definitely should have stressed less about school and the future - despite how cliche that sounds. I was active in organizations and clubs my freshman and sophmore year but was not as much in my last two years and that was when I felt the most empty. So I would suggest instead of joining many orgs, just narrow it down to one or two that you enjoy (and does not have to be related to your major) and focus on making an impact there! Make friends and welcome in the underclassmen when the time comes. School and career paths will fall into place eventually. Everyone else also does not know exactly what they want. So just enjoy your time there before you move onto your next phase in life! Best of luck!
0

Gaurav’s Answer

0
Very interesting question. I would do the following.
1) More outgoing ( Talk with more folks)
2) Focus on couple of things for career planning and gain some certification
3) Learn lots of presentation skills
4) Think about higher study or plan about what I am going to do after college finish
0

joelle’s Answer

0

What a great question! I would major in something that I was passionate about and less about what I thought my parents would want me to major in. Get straight A's, take a year off, then decide what I really wanted to do as a career. I really let other people sway my decisions on what I really wanted to do.

0

Donniese’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia R.,
If I could redo college the #1 thing I would do is finish my degree program. I let outside people and forces get in the way of my goal and lost track of my initial focus - getting my degree. That currently is my one regret.
Other than that - staying on one path. I knew what I wanted to do when I started and what career choice I wanted to pursue after college but once I got entangled in the University life I ended up switching my major 3 times (which also hindered me finishing my degree plan).
Get the basics out of the way before making an informed decision on what degree plan you want to follow.
0

Zach’s Answer

0
I would have gotten my degree in Information Systems and would have taken more courses in high school and over summer at the local community college. The great thing is colleges now offer so many options for degrees that give you an endless list of options when it comes to choosing your career.
0

Lindsey’s Answer

0
I would have immersed myself more in the college experience. Depending on the university you attend, there are usually an abundance of opportunities to get involved, get leadership experience, and meet new people! This is one of the only times you will be able to take advantage of these opportunities for free :)
0

Maria’s Answer

0
I would have stayed a semester longer after discovering something I was passionate about, so I can explore it more before heading to the workforce. Also, I would have taken more advantage of extracurriculars!
0

Jennifer’s Answer

0

I would have waited a year to declare a major (my first major was elementary education). In the first year I would have taken classes from different areas of interest to determine what I was naturally good at, and what things I enjoyed learning about. No matter what major you work towards, in today's working world, it's important to at least have some high level business courses that would help in any industry. I did work full time as I went through college, and I wouldn't change that. I found a company to work for that paid for my education (however it had to be a business curriculum - so I changed majors after two years to Communications). I think gaining work experience as I was also completing my degree was priceless, as I was able to enter the job market easier due to having work experience on my resume.

0

Sheila M.’s Answer

0
Listened to my professors more, stayed in contact with more of my college friends, associates, attended more on campus events, and maybe had more fun.
0

Tobias’s Answer

0
I was active in cross country and track, worked 10 - 20 hours per week, studied full-time, and still tried to find time to be social while I was in college. That pretty much consumed all of my time. The one thing I'd do differently is to build better relationships with my professors and try to learn more from them outside the context of the textbook.

As I've grown in my career, mentorship has played such a big role in growing quickly and the relationships I've built have been more valuable than the technical things I've solved. I would try to start building those relationships sooner, as each professor, co-worker, friend, or stranger is going to have something unique that you can learn from them and that you can teach them.
0

Jordan J’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia, if I could redo college over again, I would definitely be less focused on the timeline of it all. My problem being a first year college student was being too over focused on how long this entire process will take until I finally graduate. The more you think about that, the more it worries you and you begin to lose focus on the present. Long story short, I saw the long process ahead of me and dropped out thinking I was never gonna get there. However, I did eventually go back and graduating at 23 years old. Not too bad, but I definitely lost time. So two things I would advise, don't lose yourself in the time frame because those four years really did fly by and also get a job to build that resume once you graduate; any job looks good, especially compared to someone with no experience.
0

Daniel’s Answer

0

Take a few hours at a local community college and intern at a local company or organization that you find interesting and are planning to study in college.  Apply to a few in-state schools  to transfer to after a year of community college.  You can get a few hours of college credit, intern on the side and save a little money for college at the same time.

0

0
Hey Mireia, that's a great question.

If I were to go back to college, I would probably stress less about finding the perfect major/ career early on. I would also make sure I had a better balance between my studies, social life, and get involved in student groups & clubs.

You have your entire adult & professional life ahead of you to figure things out. Too many young students feel pressured to figure out their long term career when they start college. Your career is more of a process than anything, and you might find something that interests you later in your career. Every role you have is going to be a learning experience.

I started school studying to be a Civil Engineer, then switched to Marketing, and now am working in the technology field.

Additionally, college is a place that you have so many opportunities to make lifelong friends and make connections. Taking part in social & academic clubs will also help you make connections to help you find a job after college.
0

Lisa’s Answer

0
1. Have an accountability buddy. Transitioning from high school to college can be tough when skipping a class is now an option (really, it shouldn't be because you fall behind quickly).

2. Use your school resources! Placement tests, checking in with career counselors to ensure you're staying on track. Think about your major, and what type of real life job/career you will be able to find after you earn your degree.

3. Prioritize studying over balancing study with work. Most of us need to balance working while going to school, but the coursework should come first. I'd try to find a job where I could study at work if possible.
0

Michele’s Answer

0

What a great question ... I would definitively invest more time networking, giving back to the community and focusing on self development. There are so many opportunities, you now have time to explore, travel, meet new people and make a difference; take advantage of the time you have and help others. If i could go back i would definitively join the peace corps and travel the world before jumping into corporate America!

0

Alex’s Answer

0
If I was to redo college I would do a lot differently and a lot the same. The biggest things that I would focus on would be embracing everything I can handle. COllege is a time for all new experiences where you can really learn who you are. You want to experience as much as possible and meet as many people as possible. This will open you up to the world of possibilities.
0

Stanley’s Answer

0

This is a great question and one that I get enjoy answering. I worked multiple jobs and started a small family business while in school and got a degree in a field I am not utilizing. With that, enjoy your time in college. Find a mentor in the field that you think you want to be in and ask for their advice and insight in that field. And most importantly socialize and network. It’s not always what you know but who you know and that is with every career. I hope this helps and good luck!

0

Danielle’s Answer

0
This is a great question! So many students do not stop to think about the ramifications of the degree they are pursuing or even the college they are attending. I think it is important to think about the big picture when making these decisions. What does the job market look like? What types of jobs will be available to me? I would recommend shadowing someone in the field you're interested in pursuing. Understanding what the day to day responsibilities of a job can be really enlightening and help you to understand what you;re getting into.

Best wishes!
0

Illya’s Answer

0
I think I would have used my free time better like getting more involved in a club I was interested in, really participating at networking events, tried to hang out with more people and worked on getting A's in those easy classes.
0

Alex’s Answer

0
0

Trevor’s Answer

0
I would actually take the time to enjoy the experience more! School is about more than just classes and studying. You'll never have a chance to build lifetime friendships like you can in college so take advantage of that.
0

Jeff’s Answer

0
I would recommend being more involved in non-academic opportunities on campus. While getting your basics out of the way take time to join, clubs and extra curricular activities. These less-stress opportunities to meet new people and experience new things can really help you discover what you are passionate about and you may end up following a different path that originally planned. One thing I wouldn't change and would recommend is to get some basic programming/ coding skills for any profession.
0

Jeremy’s Answer

0

This is a very good question! My university experience was heavily focused on academic performance and volunteerism. I was very "future focused" and tried to do everything I could in the moment to prepare myself for life after graduating. Looking back, I definitely could've taken my foot off the pedal and pursued personal goals - for example, I always wanted to learn music and there were clubs on campus that taught music.

I think everyone has something they wish they could change, and it's useful to take these learnings forward after college to continue to improve as an individual.

0

Jerome’s Answer

0

Great question!! I would have taken greater advantage of being around very smart people who have devoted their life to teaching others. Most profs I encountered really enjoyed getting to share their experiences and insight beyond the textbooks and tests which are really beneficial in really seeing if these fields of study have potential as career paths. Additionally, their contacts in various fields of study and industry can prove very valuable for your post-studies path. In short, take advantage of office hours and build those relationships!

0

Cynthia’s Answer

0

Great question. I would first take a test of interest and interview people in the fields. Then research the future of that field.

0

Kevin’s Answer

0
I would definitely start my job search earlier, I was lucky enough to find an internship on my Junior spring semester. I just happen to pass by an info session and wanted to know what it was all about so I checked it out and that led me to get an internship. Since I am in college, I would totally find a job that suits my personality instead of jumping from job to job. If you really like a job that does not pay well, it is okay to stay in that job because you are only going to be temporarily in that position. You would rather be temporarily happy than temporarily miserable.
0

Jane’s Answer

0
I would talk to my professors more. I'm introverted, but I realize now that professors enjoy talking to their students one on one. Those discussions can lead to many opportunities. You might be asked to help them with a volunteer project, the relationship could result into a mentor relationship, or you could simply gain a better understanding of your course work. But you never know unless you try. So, if you are an introvert like me, don't let that stop you. Step up and talk to your professors outside of class. You'll be glad you did.
0

Jill’s Answer

0
I would have taken a working internship in the field I was studying. It's very important to get that experience on your resume once you graduate to get the job you want in the field you want. It's a very competitive world, so anything you can do to make yourself stand out from all the other college graduates is important. Working in your field of study will also help you realize if that's the job you really want when you get out of school. Also, get involved! I think employers today look for the total package: education, experience, and volunteerism. Good luck!
0

0
I would definitely be more focused. How do you get more focused? You get volunteer or paid work experience in the job fields that you think you are interested. You do a lot of reading about those fields. And you try to interview people that are working in those fields to ask them about the job. Most people like talking about what they do. Academics can be an ivory tower so it's good to get real word experience. That will also help you with job interviews. If you currently have a job even if it's working in a fast food restaurant learn everything you can about managing people and learning the business. You have to start somewhere.

David recommends the following next steps:

• Read about the fields you are interested in
  • Interview people about the field you are interested in
  • You can learn new things on any job even it is not your ultimate destination - like construction, fast food, service industry jobs. Learn as much as you can from every part-time job that you have - especially people skills.
0

david_skrivanek@glic.comDavid’s Answer

0

I would be more thoughtful about the type of school that best suited my goals as well as my personality. I choose a large state school that was full of distractions and learned that a smaller school might have been better for me.

0

Nakia’s Answer

0
I would follow my heart and minor in something very different, but something that I have a passion for in case I find myself unsatisfied in my career down the line. It's not a bad idea to be practical in your choice of education, but you must also love what you are studying so that you can have a fulfilling career. Money isn't everything!
0

Kiran’s Answer

0
I still remember , I spent more time with very closed group and more on academics even though I was good at sports.

If I were to redo the college, I will do below..

1. Connect with more people to learn different things from them.
2. I would have joined more sports related activities.
3. Don't plan on anything specific skill(technology) instead learn some broader skills.

0

Alyssa’s Answer

0
1)Taken a gap year (or two) to work and take a break from school before figuring out what I really wanted to do or taken general education classes at a community college while working to put off the decision about what to major in. It's a lot of pressure / expectation to decide right out of high school what you want to do with your life! The people I met in college who waited just a little more time and spent that time exploring jobs and volunteer opportunities seemed to have more focus on what they were studying because they'd had more time to figure out what they were really interested in.

2) Been less hard on myself. I had a lot of notions of perfection, and it's just not a possible or healthy standard to hold yourself to. Unless you're continuing onto graduate school, the grades you get really don't matter. Doing your best is important, but pushing yourself to your limits just to get an A is truly not worth it.

Alyssa recommends the following next steps:

• Explore your options
0

Ed’s Answer

0
+1 to Edmond's answer - I'd have explored more the students and teachers to get more out of my studies. I'd also have tried to keep in touch with them as this is a strong networking opportunity.
0

Jaclyn’s Answer

0

I would have gone abroad or travelled further from school to broaden my perspective

0

Emily K.’s Answer

0
I would've researched what fields would be relevant in the future (next 5-10 years) and understand where I can start to hone my skills. I opted for a major that was generally focused, but often times, I talk to people who graduated with a major and haven't done anything with it.
0

Jenna’s Answer

0

I would get more involved in the college life. Take advantage of the all the programs offered. Enjoy socializing and networking. I would probably live in campus the first couple of years.

0

Denise’s Answer

0

Shadow.  Sometimes your perception of a career and reality of the career differ.  Better to know that before investing years of college to find out it is what you want to do.  Ask about other career opportunities within the organization which may align with your interests/strengths.  Don't be fixated on having to know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life.  Explore several different options.     

0

Zach’s Answer

0
This question is fun, and if I could see into the future, I would have gone back in time and taken the Information Systems degree my college offered. It would have prevented me from taking my masters in more of a direct IT field. The beautiful part is now there are so many degrees offered from all types of colleges now compared to when I was going completing my undergraduate degree from 2001-2005.
0

Aman’s Answer

0
I would have just focused on a couple of subjects like Data Structures, Algorithms, JAVA and AI. I studied 48 subjects to get good marks and that was too much. After I finished college and started working I realized that only a few subjects matters. I could have focused on those and could have been perfected my skill sets in those areas.

Another thing is that I would do differently is that I would have paid more attention to my projects and build some really cool stuff. Back in the college, I did projects just to ger the credits and pass. Also this time I will learn mostly from online resources. Back in 2012 when I finished college I didn't know about Udacity/Coursera/Udemy/etc. and I am ashamed of that.
0

Zhu’s Answer

0
My understanding is, you are trying to find some useful advice for your college life right?

In my opinion, no matter what I answer to this question, It always is a supplement for my achievement based on my experience. It's for myself, not others. Thus is not instructive to others. Everyone has his/her own aspiration, you may find the right way to spend your time only based on your own. What do you want to be? Usually, we know what is the right thing to do, but we just cannot control ourselves, we know we should read more books, we should focus on knowledge, we should study harder, don't waste time. But the entertainment is more attractive, those electronic games, those movies and TV series, and we are easily persuaded by ourselves that I can master my life, spend some time to relax will not have any bad impact.

So don't ask others, just ask yourself. what do you want to be? what do you want to get in that period? everyone has a different answer, but the answer is for himself and will help him to know, what he should do.
0

Sovita’s Answer

0
I really enjoyed my college experience. However if I had redo, I would definitely connect more with my professors. I majored in Accounting and most of my professors were professionals in the field. They can be great mentors and career coach. Moreover they can be help network with potential employers. I would also use my college career resource to full extent. They can help out with resumes and your interview skills as well. Hope this helps!
0

Sandi’s Answer

0
I would do a few things differently, but most importantly:
1. Study a subject that provides me a hard skill and do supplemental read for the soft skills!
2. Read more books on how to apply the skills I learned in class.
3. Develop organizational habits that will help substantially as I begin my career.

* I wish someone had told me #1!
0

Kelley’s Answer

0

I would have done a few things differently...I would have studied abroad, I would have asked my top professors to be career mentors, II would have interned during the summers to get a better feel for what I wanted to do when I graduated.  A business degree is so broad; there were many career options to consider.

0

Heena’s Answer

0

I would have opted for Graduation in Mathematics, instead of electrical. It took a bit longer for me to understand this fact.

0

Shannon’s Answer

0
Hi! Although I had to work full time while in school I wish I had more time to focus on studying. However I wouldn’t want to go back and do it over!
0

Robert’s Answer

0

Mireia - If I could redo one thing during my college experience it would have to be that I should have listened to one of my professor's. I was finishing junior college and had to decide where I should transfer to continue my studies and he had suggested a college and I decided to attend another one instead. It was a disaster. If you are lucky enough to have that one professor who believes in you and wants the best for you, listen to them!

Think of them as your mentor, an extension of your family as they have been a large part of your life and they may see you pursuing a career track you had not envisioned, pursuing an additional educational degree, etc.. Think about what they are saying and/or encouraging you to do and perhaps take their advice.

0

Donny’s Answer

0

Better time management, and utilise Google, online (free) classes and external publications more.

Don't forget to enjoy college life too :)

0

Ryan’s Answer

0

Hi Mireia, I would definitely be a lot more mindful about organizing my time. You are in charge of how you want your life to be. Be mindful of creating a solid work/life balance. I always find that having a planner was very helpful. I feel that writing everything down makes your goals more tangible.

0

Tova’s Answer

0

I would have relied less on my classmates for help and worked more on learning how to work through coding issues on my own (I'm a software developer). When I struggled with a homework assignment or got an error I didn't know how to handle, my first reaction was to call a friend, rather than spending some time working through the issue. When I entered the workforce, I then had to unlearn this habit and learn how to do my own research and ask well-thought-out questions, rather than instinctively going straight to team members when I was stuck.

0

Sanjai’s Answer

0
A mixture of comments provided already. Be focused on your studies but at the same time make the most of the opportunities open to you. Try something new, make new friends, experience stuff
0

James’s Answer

0
Mireia, There are 2 main things I'd do different

1. Pick a school interest that you love, something that excites you and you enjoy learning about.
2. Be open to online school, especially for the first year or two. This gives you a more flexible schedule starting out, and could adapt to your learning style better.
0

0
I would have gone in with less intention of "what I wanted to be when I grew up". I would have spent more time and energy learning about what I'm good at and what I enjoy doing and figured out how to make a career out of that. I also would have networked more.
0

Paul’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

I'm personally in college right now but if I could redo my college experience - I would focus more on my academics. I feel as though I didn't as much academic success as I had done in high school so definitely could work on that with a fresh start. I would also reach out more to the people living next door or who I sit next to in class cause honestly I feel as though everybody in college is on the same ship - but just going to different destinations. We still all go through the same waves and motions so why not make some conversations while we're at it. Great and interesting question!

Sincerely,

Paul
0

Jayne’s Answer

0

Maintain a better balance between studies and extracurricular activities.  

0

Tracey’s Answer

0
Ask for more exposure to the career I'm considering. eg. Coffee chat with someone in that profession ( in person or virtually) ; A day in the life of internships etc.) Studying in said career path to realize later that it's not a good fit is disheartening. Ask more, don't be shy to get out there.
0

Naveed’s Answer

0

I really enjoyed my time at college, studied science subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics). I would study IT more, spend more time in understanding how the internet works. I would do some certifications on my own apart from just going to college for a degree. College degree helps but certifications get you the job. This is what my experience is. Learn a skill like photography early in my life, and keep developing it through out my life.

Naveed recommends the following next steps:

• Join a university
  • Find work in your education field
  • Keep doing certifications
0

Robert’s Answer

0

If given the opportunity to redo college I would be more open and expand the circles of people I engaged and surrounded myself with. College is the most free and widest expanse of opportunity most people will have in their lives. The more diverse experiences you have and broad/varied groups of people you surround yourself with will provide you a greater foundation from which to both tackle the challenges the world will throw your way and the pathways and opportunities to success will be less limited.

0

JOSEPH’s Answer

0

I went to college part time and did not live on campus or in a dorm. If you have the opportunity to live in campus do it. I am pleased with what I learned at college, but feel I really missed out on the full college experience of living in a dorm and forming those bonds and friendships with classmates

0

0

Great question.

I worked full time while attending school. I would highly recommend, concentrating your time and efforts into your classes, studies, and school activities. Get more involved in on campus groups and only work part time if needed.

Best of luck to you.

• Apply for scholarships early and often. Many scholarships have few applicants.
0

Norma’s Answer

0
Hi. I think I would do several things differently.
1. Focus - apply myself more
2. work less hours - working full time plus overtime and going to school full time prevented me from sleeping enough and studying
3. live on campus - I attended what is known as a "commuter school" (live close enough not to live on campus that you can drive yourself - i lived 30 minutes or so away)
4. get more involved - i was a member of student government, but didn't always volunteer as I was interested but not motivated to participate

When planning your future, think about some of these things before you make a decision as to where you will go. :-)
0

Ron’s Answer

0

I would have done more research on the long term viability of my career choice. In addition, if necessary, how easy is it to transition from your career choice to other similar careers.  I

0

Kaitlyn’s Answer

0

I would think twice about taking out large student loans. I chose a school I wanted to go to and I lived on campus. Had I been a commuter or even chose a school with lower costs, I would have saved some serious money and wouldn't be paying the student loan debt I am paying now (it costs more than my mortgage).

In addition- I would have waited to obtain my Master's Degree. I got it right after getting my Bachelor's. If I had waited until I was employed, my employer would have paid my tuition (instead of me now paying back a loan for the degree).

Last thing I would have done differently: I should have taken networking more seriously as a college student. I don't have many contacts from college I could go to for advice or for various opportunities. I wish I would have spent more time building my professional network.

Kaitlyn recommends the following next steps:

• Research schools that offer your desired academic program and compare their costs.
  • Determine if the cost of the school you want to go to is worth it based on the average salary you will make upon graduation
0

Dana’s Answer

0
Great Question! I would have tried to focus more on what I am passionate about vs what my parents wanted me to major in. When I was in a class I really enjoyed I also did better academically. In additional I would have enjoyed more time building relationships and friendships. Sometimes because I was in a smaller collage campus I would go to class and leave. Sometimes I wonder if I missed that part of the collage experience. If I could do that part over again, I would have studied abroad and also stayed on campus.
0

Lexi’s Answer

0
I would have not strived for a 4.0 GPA. I was able to attain it for the last 3.5 years and I still have had an ample social life, but it has been a lot of unnecessary pressure and stress on myself. Having a perfect GPA is not necessary for college, career, or life. I would still want to strive for a near perfect GPA and do as well as I possibly could, but focusing so much on not getting a single A- was not beneficial to my physical or emotional health.
0

Jennifer’s Answer

0

If I could redo college, I would worry less and take more chances. You have the rest of your life to play it safe, college is the time to take chances and see what happens. I tried to be too responsible and serious in college and didn't enjoy that care-free time as much as I should have. I am not advocating not studying, but I guess the old adage, "work hard, play hard!"

0

Laura’s Answer

0
If I had to do it over again I would have attended a Community College and received my AA degree then gone on to a 4 year university to complete my degree. I would also recommend doing an internship as soon and as many as possible. This will give you an opportunity to experience first hand if what you are getting a degree in is in fact what you want to do.
0

Samuel’s Answer

0

I would become involved in the entrepreneurial community as early as possible and start a business sooner. I didn't get involved in the entrepreneurial community till my senior project, and it was literally life changing in many ways. There's a reason universities are the breeding ground for so many startups - having access to some of the world's best equipment, technology, software, and last but not least, minds, is such a massive opportunity, that if someone is focused and uses the available resources and support, they can truly change their life.

Samuel recommends the following next steps:

• Join your entrepreneurial community.
  • Start a business
0

Steven Chang-Hsun’s Answer

0

If I could redo college, I would explore more interests and opportunities outside my major. Seek more opportunities to study or work abroad. Pick up a new language and try to master it.

Steven Chang-Hsun recommends the following next steps:

• discuss with friends, family and even strangers to hear various of answers
  • prioritize your goals and list the resources you may have during college or in the near future
  • start to do it now. slow but steady.
0

Jim’s Answer

0

Great question! I would take more time to form relationships with others going into a similar field/career. I found that most people formed their core groups of friends early and just continued to spend time with those core people. Though I met others in classes, I didn't build or foster those relationships with those going into my field which would have been helpful when first entering the workforce.

0

Lisa’s Answer

0

What a tough question!  Sometimes we have an idea of what we'd like to study, but not a definitive idea of how that would translate into a career.  If I could go back, I would make a list of my interests and strengths, and compare those with available career opportunities to ensure my courses and major are going to result in job placement after college.  I ended up in a career that I love, but I have friends and colleagues whose selected their major without thinking about the number of available jobs in that field and have settled for jobs that are outside of their field of study.  Good luck!

0

Megan’s Answer

0
If I could re-do my college experience, I would take more time to explore various areas of study. I went into College with course credit from high school courses; therefore, I did not have many core courses to continue taking and was not able to pay for "extra" classes while taking my time choosing a major. I selected a very specific area of study, which did not leave me with many job options post graduation. Due to this, I went back to school to gain my Masters.

Don't hesitate to research/ grab a mentor/ take a few electives, etc. before you focus in on one area of study. This decision impacts the rest of your life. :)
0

Angus’s Answer

0

Hi

Speaking for myself and some of my colleagues ... we have a few suggestions:

Think about a "study break" - take a break from the "academic" pressures - doing stuff for college (coursework, deadlines, exams results etc) - but getting out into the real world (travel, work experience, whatever) gives a different perspective which will help, when you come back, have a different, broader perspective - makes you realise why you are studying / why it matters - so helps you work hards with a better level of focus (clearer end-goals)

Consider international student exchange ... that is a GREAT way of being exposed to other cultures / countries / career opportunities etc ...

<span style="color: black;">I would have worked for a year first before going to university in order to discover what my passions were. Instead, I started a course I thought I would like but hated, essentially wasting the year. I then had to work for three years before going back in order to save money for the extortionate re-entry fees! So be careful with your initial choices. </span>

Think about the skills you need in the industries you may go and work in and think about the "softer" skills you may need that they are not teaching you in the classroom. e.g. I did a business degree, and no one taught be presentation or negotiation skills - which are every-day requirements in the "real world" - think what the equivalent is for your degree / work environment ...

Consider "mixed" topic degrees / double degree ... e.g. a colleague did Communications, but would have preferred to have done Communications AND Business combined to make it a more "real-life" useable degree (easier to change industries etc) . My daughter does Psychology AND Spanish - so gives her that extra edge for where she could work in the future

0

Patricia’s Answer

0

Such a FUN question. Ohboy if I could redo college. College is suppose to be a time to meet new friends and have fun. There are sororities to think about, new friends to meet, parties; extra curricular activities - you are able to choose everything and there is a great deal of responsibility and time management. Unfortunately I started later in life and changing career paths. I enrolled in the BSN-RN program and what a program that is. It takes all of your time (and sleep). I didn't have much time for football, tailgating parties and the like due to it was such a rigorous program and consumes all of your free time. I attended college during the summer months too while in the program (year round) and only saw my friends at Christmas. But I wouldn't change anything at this point. I have my BSN-RN degree and that is the door to all possibilities in this life. So sacrificing football games and sororities for my degree is a good thing. Thank you for such a wonderful question and enjoy your education. Choose wisely and don't allow anything to take you from the path of the 'good life'. Surviving college takes a lot of hard work but once you have your degree no one can take it away from you. Cool huh!

0

Mikayla’s Answer

0

Hi Mireia,

There are quite a few things I would do differently if I could go back in time to when I was in college. The biggest thing, though, is I wish I had taken advantage of study abroad opportunities. I was so focused on getting out of college quickly and working while doing so, that I didn't really consider studying abroad. It's such a great opportunity though, and I would advise any current college students to consider it.

0

Rick’s Answer

0
0

Jarebb’s Answer

0
We all know that if the opportunity to turn back the clock, you will need to prioritize and cherish what matter most.

1. Grades - Do what interest you in college. the subject matter as this will give you extra energy to complete it.
2. Time - better allocate and spend time that matters.
3. To say Yes/No - We are not super human, it is better to say yes and commit to the end to complete the journey in college.
0

Monisha’s Answer

0

I would probably have focused on enjoying my time rather than striving for grades. Its the best time to find where my passion lies and pursue them.

0

Rajesh’s Answer

0
A lot of answers to this question are on the mark! If I have to do college all over again, I'll focus more on studies, better network with those seniors to me, learn about personal finance, and "sharpen the saw" as Stephen Covey says, which means maintain your health (both mind and body) by sleeping, exercise, meditation, etc.
0

Margie’s Answer

0
I would start off at a two year college and get all my basics out of the way. Smaller classes and more one on one with instructors. Especially the math courses where one might need a little more assistance. But make sure to check what courses will transfer over to a four year college for your Bachelors.
0

Sindhuja’s Answer

0

I would go through the career prospectus of each subject and try to related to my interests. It is also important to understand how is the career marketplace of that subject that you want to work on and depending on your focus during the time of you college, you should be able to decide the path you want to take.

0

Doug’s Answer

0

If I were to redo college, I would have went sooner. I didn't start college until I was almost 40. It's been a great experience even at a bit of an older age but I wish I had started sooner and had a bigger head start.

0

sridhar’s Answer

0

I would have spend more time in learning history and literature, Students who understand the history and historic mistakes can only take this socitey forward by avoiding the mistakes from the past.

0

Dara’s Answer

0

When I was in college, my first two years I stayed in my own bubble a lot and wouldn’t go out and explore the city with friends or go to campus events. If I could do it differently, I would try to get more involved and get out there earlier than I did.

0

Jordan’s Answer

0
There is one thing I would truly do differently. I would have take more advantage of the professional and business associations on campus. I may have joined some, but I didn't always participate. Participate would have been key to building relationship in the professional world after college

Jordan recommends the following next steps:

• Join a professional/business association.
  • Become a active member.
  • Become part of the board.
0

Tamecheo’s Answer

0
If I could redo college, I would do the following differently. With that said, my path was my path because it made me the person I am today. Choose your path wisely.
1. I would have taken advantage of my career advisor's office hours during my freshman year to ensure I was on the exact path regarding my major once I selected it as I started "Undecided".
2. I would have researched majors, salaries, and did some job-shadowing to ensure I was on the path which would make me happy and earn a decent starting salary. I did not understand the important of this until I was older as once you’re an adult you will constantly do this. If you get it right in the beginning, you are ahead of the game.
3. I would have studied to retain the information rather than memorize to obtain optimal grades. Looking back, graduating with honors does not have as much meaning as being able to recall what I learned during my 3.5 years of college until graduation.
4. I would have participated in more extracurricular activities as my focus then was work-study, part-time job, study groups, and my boyfriend. Looking back, I missed a lot of my college life experiences. (Moderation in everything is ideal)
5. I would have taken Spanish more aggressively rather than just one summer school course. I would have immersed myself in the language to become bi-lingual.
6. I would have done an internship, but I don't recall even knowing about internships then. Internships allow you to get your foot in the door for a job and even possibly a career after earning your degree. Employers want experienced candidates, not just those with a degree.
7. Listen to those older than you that are doing well for themselves. Be humble to take the advice they are giving as they know what they are talking about because they have been there done that. Learn from their mistakes and do not repeat them. Trust me, you will be them one day speaking to the youth as it's a never-ending cycle.
0

Ryan’s Answer

0
I would definitely try and do an internship to try and get an idea of what work I would enjoy. Often you are told what you should do, or think you have ideas what specific jobs would be like. When you get the chance to work in a field, it will really open your eyes. Also, balance your passions and what you think you'd be able to turn into a job that will support you. It's great to study something you really enjoy, but if no one will hire you after school, you could be in trouble. Also, just chasing a job or career for money isn't necessarily the answer either.
0

Matt’s Answer

0
I pursued a rather generic and broad major in Business Economics - while it gave me a rather large spectrum of opportunities, one thing I've seen farther removed from college is that refining a focus on say data analysis or coding would not only serve to provide you more real-world skills in your first position, but also keep the broad spectrum of opportunities available to you. Every business places a priority on being able to track their successes, so being able to compile and analyze the data behind that story will keep you in demand across lots of industries.
0

Claire’s Answer

0
Not underestimate my abilities as a freshman and try out for as many organizations as I can! Start early!
0

Anubhav’s Answer

0
One of the things I would have definitely done is pursued the Entrepreneurship Certification over Management minor as the courses and learning experience would have been a whole lot better. In addition, I would have definitely interned at two different companies that getting different experiences at different companies expose you to different industries and cities (potentially).
0