If you could redo college, what would you do differently?

I would have made more effort to create a stronger personal relationship with my professors. I should have pushed myself outside my comfort zone to approach them after class and ask more questions to really benefit from the knowledge they have. Katie Petruzziello

233

Edmond’s Answer

Two things: (1) I would have tried to convince one of my professors to be my mentor; (2) team up with other students for study and homework. It's OK to study on your own but find one or two other students who are better than you are in a given subject and do some of the harder homework together. In that setting where we explain the topic verbally, the brain functions much better.

I agree with the study group comment! I did this only in the very last year of my university career and it made the struggles of nursing school much easier to bear and enhanced my academic record as well. Katherine Deutsch

19

Marina’s Answer

Mireia,

Personally, I would be more focused, waste less time and get more sleep. Sometimes in college you become overwhelmed with new found freedom and experiences, that it's easy for your studies to become less of a priority. It's good to be mindful of that and keep a schedule of the work you need to accomplish and stick to it.

Thank you so much for your advice! Mireia R.

You're welcome. Best of luck! Marina Cubias-Castro

STUDY ABROAD!!! Kristen (Field) Manfield

16

Well, honestly, I would have enjoyed life more. You have your whole life ahead of you to be saddled with adult responsibilities. I would have gone out more, explored new and different things, and taken the time to be a kid. I was a nerdy, goody two-shoes who never got in trouble. While I do NOT advocate doing anything illegal that will potentially jeopardize your entire future life and career, it is important to learn how to socialize and relax. In fact, socializing is actually a required skill for successful networking and career-advancement. Everything in moderation!

Kim

Thank you so much for your insight! Mireia R.

I couldn't agree more with you Kim. College is the time to not only discover yourself , but make everlasting memories. You have put across the answer beautifully. Kudos. Priyanka Agrawal

Though i agree with your answer, sometimes i feel like i should have utilised it a bit for efficiently. I've spent like 80% of the time making memories and 20% to actually study. Looking back, I feel that i could've probably pushed the needle a little towards studies as well. Not that I'm not happy with where i am but just a thought. Surendra Kanala

Agree!! Take it seriously and get the work done, but this is a time in life where you aren't saddled with too much real life, so enjoy it --- wisely!! Tony Frank

7

Kaelynn E.’s Answer

My biggest regret from college is not looking into a study abroad program. Projects, homework, taking classes, all of that will continue throughout your career, but traveling is something that will continually give you new perspectives. When you get out into the "real world" you will find your time is much more limited (if you thought that was even possible), so try to make the most of your entire college experience in the most rewarding ways possible.

6

Matthew’s Answer

I would have built a broader network. Nowhere else do you have such easy access to people with such different backgrounds, interests and aspirations. One thing I have learned after college is that you have no idea how a relationship or interaction in the past will generate an opportunity in the future. Your life experiences will be more meaningful if you are open to expanding your network and the journey will be infinitely more exciting.

5

Christina’s Answer

I would have gotten more involved in the school itself- student government, clubs, etc. This would have given me a more well -rounded experience and an opportunity to meet different people. I went to school with a lot of my friends and we had a great time, but meeting other people would have given me an opportunity to get different perspectives. In addition, I would also have connected with more of my professors to gain some professional mentorship. #liveandlearn

4

Amanda’s Answer

I would have taken part in more activities and used all the services that were offered. I was too focused on just the work. I think I missed out on a lot.

Thank you for sharing! Mireia R.

4

Eugene’s Answer

As you progress through your career, we tend to focus on getting jobs done and working to achieve stretch goals. Time to dedicate to Learning becomes harder, so firstly, I would appreciate the time at college.

Secondly, sometimes we are too hard on ourselves on trying to achieve a grade. You only have a certain amount of energy, so be clear on your outcomes ie. Grade can be necessary vs I'm just here to build a skill.

Thirdly, I would not focus on studying something to get the big $$$. This doesnt mean to ignore it but don't forget to feed the soul and explore different subjects. Experiment don't be afraid to fail.

Colleague is great to develop your thinking and build relationships. It takes practice. I wish I had better habits. Read more, write more papers without trying to make it perfect. Journalling is another great too to create clarity of thought. These give you great foundations to build upon and then you spend most of your energy growing, instead of trying to catch up :)

Eugene recommends the following next steps:

journalling

2

Jenna’s Answer

I would have focused harder on my language classes, I would have studied abroad during the semester, and I would have been more involved- I wish I had participated in more events, organizations or volunteer activities. I really value the friendships I created in college- I would have worked harder to cultivate more of them.

Thank you for your insight! Mireia R.

2

Lisa’s Answer

1. Have an accountability buddy. Transitioning from high school to college can be tough when skipping a class is now an option (really, it shouldn't be because you fall behind quickly).

2. Use your school resources! Placement tests, checking in with career counselors to ensure you're staying on track. Think about your major, and what type of real life job/career you will be able to find after you earn your degree.

3. Prioritize studying over balancing study with work. Most of us need to balance working while going to school, but the coursework should come first. I'd try to find a job where I could study at work if possible.

1

Lauren’s Answer

What a good question! I loved my experience but I think I would have made an effort to study abroad. I love to travel now, but I think the experience of living somewhere totally different for a while would have been incredibly valuable. I also would have studied a language more seriously (I took one semester of Spanish).

1

Nagendra’s Answer

Good Question. Life doesn't give an opportunity to role the time back .

If at all i get an offer to do it , i want to do it from High school level. Since that one particular subject mark pulled me down in getting admission to the college of my wish.

1

Jasanpreet Kaur’s Answer

Two things:

1. Completion of SHRM and SAP HR certification. This was told to us while we were in the final year but at that time the relevance of these certification was not known to me.
2. Now after having 5+ years I feel like I must have written some papers to publish with the help of professor. I am certain, that would have been a great learning and add on value.

1

Sandi’s Answer

I would do a few things differently, but most importantly:
1. Study a subject that provides me a hard skill and do supplemental read for the soft skills!
2. Read more books on how to apply the skills I learned in class.
3. Develop organizational habits that will help substantially as I begin my career.

* I wish someone had told me #1!

1

Manu’s Answer

I will try to develop my inter personal skills/communication/collaborative skills.

Try to invest time in some sports/yoga/dance.

1

Gerardo’s Answer

If I could a go back before I enrolled in school, I would've ensure I had all the information needed before applying for loans with the Federal government. We as a family had a low-income background, and just moved to the states from El Salvador when I was 14. Not knowing much about the system/language and the opportunities, I would have taking a better approach with my school-counsel resources at the time. Being a foreigner in this country, its really a good thing. However, I have to say I would not change much. Playing sports was a great way for me to adapt to the process and believe in the path of opportunity. I received a 90% all paid scholarship to play soccer competitively in Arkansas and that helped me ramp up in school quickly. I do also believe finding state resources at the time to help me pay for that partial 10% would have been great, but also, finding other programs to play at a different level in sports nationwide would have been a better approach. Nevertheless, biggest component in my motto is never give up, keep trying, and have perseverance. I work with Verizon and I am proud of the company I work for.

Gc.

0

Vishesh’s Answer

This is a great question. I don't think I could have found a better question to answer as my first one. College has been one of the best periods of my life. I experienced my share of highs and lows. To this day I don't think any other experience taught me more in life than college did.

However with every thing that you do in life you always have a feeling that there are some things you could have done better or differently. I am no different to this feeling. I would like to answer by talking about two different phases of my life when I went to college.

1. The first one and most fun is 4 years of my bachelor life in Pune, India. I enrolled myself for bachelor's in computer engineering. One thing I never did during those 4 years is take up a job and earn money. My family supported me throughout those 4 years. Looking back at that I thing I realize I should have done any sort of job. It would have taught me the value of money early in life and how difficult it is to earn. I am more than grateful for my family for supporting me financially however I would highly recommend to get an experience of doing a job in college. It can be any type job.

2. My second phase of college is when I first came to United States to pursue my Masters. During this phase I feel I should have connected and networked more with people in my industry. This was the time where I was trying to get a job in software engineering. However looking back I realize I did not network enough to spread myself out in the world. You are your own publicist.

So here are my two cents. One for each phase of my life :)

0

Tamecheo’s Answer

If I could redo college, I would do the following differently. With that said, my path was my path because it made me the person I am today. Choose your path wisely.
1. I would have taken advantage of my career advisor's office hours during my freshman year to ensure I was on the exact path regarding my major once I selected it as I started "Undecided".
2. I would have researched majors, salaries, and did some job-shadowing to ensure I was on the path which would make me happy and earn a decent starting salary. I did not understand the important of this until I was older as once you’re an adult you will constantly do this. If you get it right in the beginning, you are ahead of the game.
3. I would have studied to retain the information rather than memorize to obtain optimal grades. Looking back, graduating with honors does not have as much meaning as being able to recall what I learned during my 3.5 years of college until graduation.
4. I would have participated in more extracurricular activities as my focus then was work-study, part-time job, study groups, and my boyfriend. Looking back, I missed a lot of my college life experiences. (Moderation in everything is ideal)
5. I would have taken Spanish more aggressively rather than just one summer school course. I would have immersed myself in the language to become bi-lingual.
6. I would have done an internship, but I don't recall even knowing about internships then. Internships allow you to get your foot in the door for a job and even possibly a career after earning your degree. Employers want experienced candidates, not just those with a degree.
7. Listen to those older than you that are doing well for themselves. Be humble to take the advice they are giving as they know what they are talking about because they have been there done that. Learn from their mistakes and do not repeat them. Trust me, you will be them one day speaking to the youth as it's a never-ending cycle.

0

Debjeet’s Answer

I would list out what I would like to do differently,if I had to redo college:
1. Be more social and keep networking
2.Learn a lot more on my areas of interest
3.Take part in more student club activities.
4.Keep my lethargy aside and do something productive.

0

Illya’s Answer

I think I would have used my free time better like getting more involved in a club I was interested in, really participating at networking events, tried to hang out with more people and worked on getting A's in those easy classes.

0

Loyd’s Answer

I was an engineering major but also a passionate musician. I am still both. I struggle with this one all the time. Engineering (and leadership) is something I am good at and it has provided me with a comfortable life style and allowed me many opportunities. But I also wonder what life would have been life if I followed my true passion. I also wonder today if most people really need college and if they should consider the trades more often. I don't have a specific answer but more some questions I ask myself that I hope you will consider. Where do YOU find true happiness. Money is an outcome but does what you do make you happy? Or another way to look at it is, are you happy doing what you are doing?

0

Tobias’s Answer

I was active in cross country and track, worked 10 - 20 hours per week, studied full-time, and still tried to find time to be social while I was in college. That pretty much consumed all of my time. The one thing I'd do differently is to build better relationships with my professors and try to learn more from them outside the context of the textbook.

As I've grown in my career, mentorship has played such a big role in growing quickly and the relationships I've built have been more valuable than the technical things I've solved. I would try to start building those relationships sooner, as each professor, co-worker, friend, or stranger is going to have something unique that you can learn from them and that you can teach them.

0

Katherine’s Answer

I would have gotten more sleep, and at the risk of sounding too stereotypical here, I will just say it: I would have drank far less alcohol. I did not prioritize my health at college and paid for it later. It was only in my last year that I took full advantage of all of the wonderful health and wellness services my university provided and it saved me from being far worse off than I would have been. My roommate dragged me to the fitness center several times a week, I took advantage of free on-campus counselling, and I visited the student clinic as often as I needed to, instead of ignoring things. If you take good care of your health, I think that most of the other things people are recommending will fall into place, e.g. prioritizing your financial health, taking advantage of language classes, studying abroad, expanding your professional network, regularly meeting with a mentor or professor, and taking classes that aren't related to your major. You are already on your way to success and living a balanced university life by asking this question in the first place! The best of luck to you.

Katherine recommends the following next steps:

Do one small thing a day that is good for your physical health. Start with a 5 minute walk or 5 minutes of aerobics if you don't have a safe place to walk.
Do one small thing a day that is good for your mental health. For example, journaling, meditating (even just for 30 seconds!), youtube yoga, or my favorite, deep breathing!
Keep doing these things when you get to where you're going next.

0

Patricia’s Answer

I love this question so much and I hope others find their way to it and review the different answers.

For myself I was the first person in my family to go to college so everything was new and I did not understand all of the opportunities before me.

Three main regrets are:

- Study Abroad. I could have spent a semester in London! I was a Theatre Major (at the time) and in love with Shakespeare. I could have gone to the Globe Theatre and seen his works. I had family in London that would have been there in case I needed anything.

I was so enthralled with the idea but never mentioned it or discussed it with family or school counselors. I saw the price tag and knew my family could not afford it. I just assumed students on Financial Aid would not qualify. There were opportunities for financial assistance that I never explored and I know my family would have done everything they could to help me do it.

Don't let (what you perceive to be) your circumstances keep you from going for something you want. Always try and if you cannot get it, learn from the experience and be better prepared to go for what you want even harder the next time.

-Summer Internship with the CIA in Washington DC. I have no idea if I would have gotten it but I never even applied. I was working two part time jobs, going to school fulltime and I talked myself out of even trying for it. But I really wanted to try for it. I let my doubt in myself keep me from trying.

If you see an internship that appeals to you, apply for it. Don't limit yourself and assume you won't make it. Trying different things in college (and not succeeding) does not create a mark on your permanent record. College is the time to explore and find what works for you.

- Speak up in class! If I didn't understand something in a class in both high school and college I would just keep quiet and tell myself I would figure it out later. I did not want to advertise if I was falling behind and assumed everyone else in class understood the subject matter and I was the problem.

Working in the industry I do, we deal with emerging technologies constantly and if I did not interrupt a meeting every once in a while to say "wait what? who understood what that means?" I would not be able to do my job. Funnily enough 99% of the time someone else feels the same way and was just waiting for someone else to speak up.

So speak up if you don't understand something in class and if you don't want to do it in class go to the instructor and/or find a study group to have a support system.

If I could go back to math and science classes with that attitude I would have gotten so much more out of those classes.

0

Hey Mireia, that's a great question.

If I were to go back to college, I would probably stress less about finding the perfect major/ career early on. I would also make sure I had a better balance between my studies, social life, and get involved in student groups & clubs.

You have your entire adult & professional life ahead of you to figure things out. Too many young students feel pressured to figure out their long term career when they start college. Your career is more of a process than anything, and you might find something that interests you later in your career. Every role you have is going to be a learning experience.

I started school studying to be a Civil Engineer, then switched to Marketing, and now am working in the technology field.

Additionally, college is a place that you have so many opportunities to make lifelong friends and make connections. Taking part in social & academic clubs will also help you make connections to help you find a job after college.

0

jacqueline’s Answer

If I could redo college I would choose a major that I was passionate about- not what's trending at the time. Knowing what I know now I could have easily achieved better grades too, all I had to do was apply myself a tad bit more. I had the opportunity to go away to college, but I chose to stay local. I can now see where going away to school can be beneficial to your overall growth. I wasn't very active in school activities and organizations. I would definitely do that differently, many of the relationships you build in school will become a permanent part of your life. You will always have that special connection. Overall I had a pretty good college experience doing it the way I did, however those are some of the things I would do differently. Good Luck to you and I know you will make all the right choices for you!

0

Erik’s Answer

Going away to college was the first time I had been away from my parents. With the extra freedom, I got into some bad habits. Sleeping late, mismanaging my time and taking shortcuts. Even though undergrad is 4 years, it goes by very quickly. I would ask yourself this, would what I am doing right now in college now have a major impact for my future success? If you honestly answer that, I think you would steer yourself away from a lot of negativity and bad practices. Although I am expressive and outgoing now, I considered myself an introvert in college. I wasn't open to venturing out and meeting new people. Network is the key to success! I wish I had done more of that! You will learn that in the working world, meeting new people and letting yourself be known will take you to heights that you can't imagine. Doing the same in college works the same way. You don't know what opportunities it can open. Good luck to you all and keep in touch.

0

Erich’s Answer

Great Question: When starting off in college, pick a useful and well rounded major which may be applied to almost any career; such as Business Administration! Don't choose a specialized or random major unless you have a very specific career your are set on. I personally majored in Recreation Administration because I had no idea at the time what I wanted to do with my life and it seemed like a somewhat interesting and easy degree. It has been embarrassing for me over the years to have that listed on my resume instead of Business Administration. There are a lot of unknowns and uncertainties about the future when in college and many careers end up heading in a direction completely different than where originally planned.

0

Tameka’s Answer

Get more involved. I would've gotten more involved with different academic clubs, student government and sports. I believe this help with building bridges with different professions and helps with building a stronger professional portfolio. Get involved and don't be afraid to learn something new

0

Jamie’s Answer

I would've gone to a cheaper community college for the first two years and then transferred to finish my program. I also would not have worried about hurrying through and just getting done. I'd have taken my time and made sure what I was going to school for was really what I wanted to spend my life doing. I also would've looked and applied for a lot more scholarships. There are tons out there, even within local communities and 12 $1000 scholarships is better than trying for the harder $10k ones.

0

Jennifer’s Answer

If I could redo college, I would worry less and take more chances. You have the rest of your life to play it safe, college is the time to take chances and see what happens. I tried to be too responsible and serious in college and didn't enjoy that care-free time as much as I should have. I am not advocating not studying, but I guess the old adage, "work hard, play hard!"

0

Tova’s Answer

I would have relied less on my classmates for help and worked more on learning how to work through coding issues on my own (I'm a software developer). When I struggled with a homework assignment or got an error I didn't know how to handle, my first reaction was to call a friend, rather than spending some time working through the issue. When I entered the workforce, I then had to unlearn this habit and learn how to do my own research and ask well-thought-out questions, rather than instinctively going straight to team members when I was stuck.

0

david_skrivanek@glic.comDavid’s Answer

I would be more thoughtful about the type of school that best suited my goals as well as my personality. I choose a large state school that was full of distractions and learned that a smaller school might have been better for me.

0

denny’s Answer

If i could time travel back in time i would really dive into what type of classes im signing up for before hand to see if i would like that certain class or if im able to choose another instead.

0

Stanley’s Answer

This is a great question and one that I get enjoy answering. I worked multiple jobs and started a small family business while in school and got a degree in a field I am not utilizing. With that, enjoy your time in college. Find a mentor in the field that you think you want to be in and ask for their advice and insight in that field. And most importantly socialize and network. It’s not always what you know but who you know and that is with every career. I hope this helps and good luck!

0

Darrell’s Answer

I would do everything different. I would first make sure I truly understood the opportunity the was in front of me. I would build as many positive relationships as possible for great networking after school. I would focus more on my learning and understanding of my major. But above all not let it stress me out as much and enjoy every moment.

0

Jeremy’s Answer

This is a very good question! My university experience was heavily focused on academic performance and volunteerism. I was very "future focused" and tried to do everything I could in the moment to prepare myself for life after graduating. Looking back, I definitely could've taken my foot off the pedal and pursued personal goals - for example, I always wanted to learn music and there were clubs on campus that taught music.

I think everyone has something they wish they could change, and it's useful to take these learnings forward after college to continue to improve as an individual.

0

Jamie’s Answer

If I had to redo college, I would spend more time networking with fellow classmates and teachers. This network could help you find your future career or build a future business. These are lifelong relationships.

0

Cynthia’s Answer

Great question. I would first take a test of interest and interview people in the fields. Then research the future of that field.

0

Jeffrey’s Answer

Be more focus, and organize my time more wisely. I would of also studied abroad.

0

Mikayla’s Answer

Hi Mireia,

There are quite a few things I would do differently if I could go back in time to when I was in college. The biggest thing, though, is I wish I had taken advantage of study abroad opportunities. I was so focused on getting out of college quickly and working while doing so, that I didn't really consider studying abroad. It's such a great opportunity though, and I would advise any current college students to consider it.

0

Ari’s Answer

I would try not to be so stubborn about things and really listen to the advice that people gave me so that I didnt put myself in situations that I didn't want to be in. It is one thing to do something you will regret but it is a whole other ballgame when you say things that you will regret saying. Truth is actions might speak louder than words but words hurt more because once you say something you can't take it back.

0

Christina’s Answer

I would have taken less psychology classes and more engineering classes.

0

Dara’s Answer

When I was in college, my first two years I stayed in my own bubble a lot and wouldn’t go out and explore the city with friends or go to campus events. If I could do it differently, I would try to get more involved and get out there earlier than I did.

0

Wesley’s Answer

I would take time early in my college career to explore more career opportunities to determine what would be the best fit. Many times what you end up doing for a career doesn't always align with your area of study. I would of also spent some more time finding ways to travel during down times.

0

Lane’s Answer

I really would have benefited from doing more, better career research, both before and during college. I wasted money, time, and energy going down unproductive college major rabbit holes and not feeling like I had a purpose.

I accepted having a surface-level understanding of careers that sounded interesting rather than diving into the details of what the day-to-day job would look like and how it specifically aligned with my interests and skills.

If I was doing it over again, I would have sought opportunities to engage with people doing the actual jobs I was considering. People are very willing to talk about themselves if you just ask. I also should have utilized the career counseling services offered by the university earlier and more often to help steer me.

Fortunately for me, I found a great stepping stone as a military officer that started me on the career track I'm very satisfied with today!

0

Douglas’s Answer

Focus on a broader major that is a good fit for my passion and personality.

0

Rick’s Answer

I would really try to think about the type of things that excite me and I love to do. Than, find a career focus that would allow me to use what I love. I think it is important to do what you like and if you can make money doing it that is really good. Good luck in your future.

0

Aneree’s Answer

If I had the opportunity to redo college, I would have taken advantage of the vast resources offered by my university. In specific, being more active in organizations within my perspective field. This allows you to connect with students in your major and create a better learning environment for yourself.

0

Himanshu’s Answer

1. Been more social. There were so many clubs and activities that I never participated in because hey, I could just be on IM...talking to people from high school. Being more social helps in networking with people which helps in long run.

2. Talk to academic advisers monthly from the beginning and spend more time getting to know my academic interests than trying to get my rocks off and party.

3. Get myself in a solid sleep pattern early on, and not totally destroy it every break.

4. Attend more classes, and not rely as much on lecture videos or textbooks when possible. As much as I did well, several of those B+'s and A-'s could have easily been As had I put forth that extra effort.

5. Pursue more friendships, network with like-minded people, separate myself earlier from deadbeat friends (since that was the end result anyway without my doing).

6. Pursue more internships and other professional experiences earlier to build up a better resume before the end of college.

0

Robert’s Answer

If given the opportunity to redo college I would be more open and expand the circles of people I engaged and surrounded myself with. College is the most free and widest expanse of opportunity most people will have in their lives. The more diverse experiences you have and broad/varied groups of people you surround yourself with will provide you a greater foundation from which to both tackle the challenges the world will throw your way and the pathways and opportunities to success will be less limited.

0

Pooja’s Answer

College is the time to discover yourself as well as your future career path. I would have focused less on stressing about completing all my assignments according to my professors requirements and focus more on using these assignments as a learning experience and going beyond the classroom to indulge into topics that may interest me. Definitely would go back and take better care of my health - college surely affected that.

After college, you'll be working an 8-5 job everyday so don't forget to have fun and make the most out of it!

0

Ally’s Answer

I would've looked for a study abroad program and spent more time getting to know other students outside my circle. I think that networking to meet new people connects you with people that aren't like you, which gives you a broader view of the world. I think that college is for learning life skills as much as what's in the classroom, so I think taking the time to enjoy the "college life" is very important, and I think I could've dove deeper into that.

0

GABRIEL’s Answer

Hi. I would spend much more time enjoying the experience and worrying much less on what I would become. I have had a very successful career in a profession I did not pursue while in college. I would have also spent more time living on campus and engaging in school clubs, etc. Enjoy the ride- it goes fast!

0

Jonathan’s Answer

I would attend a community college first and then transfer to a 4-year school. You save money in the long run and can still obtain a degree. Also you should choose a career in which you are passionate about, not what is the best career at that time.

0

REED’s Answer

As a full-time student, I wasn't able to dedicate much time to working other than some part time jobs I had throughout my studies in order to have medical insurance, etc. As a result, I wasn't able to make a dent in my student loans until I started my career with Verizon.

If I had a re-do, I would've began working for a company that has a really good tuition reimbursement program. A lot of big companies have tuition reimbursement as a built in benefit of working for them (like Verizon).

This may have been a bit more difficult managing work/school but in the long run I would've paid much much less for my school out-of-pocket.

0

Jarebb’s Answer

We all know that if the opportunity to turn back the clock, you will need to prioritize and cherish what matter most.

1. Grades - Do what interest you in college. the subject matter as this will give you extra energy to complete it.
2. Time - better allocate and spend time that matters.
3. To say Yes/No - We are not super human, it is better to say yes and commit to the end to complete the journey in college.

0

Darrell’s Answer

0

Steven Chang-Hsun’s Answer

If I could redo college, I would explore more interests and opportunities outside my major. Seek more opportunities to study or work abroad. Pick up a new language and try to master it.

Steven Chang-Hsun recommends the following next steps:

discuss with friends, family and even strangers to hear various of answers
prioritize your goals and list the resources you may have during college or in the near future
start to do it now. slow but steady.

0

REED’s Answer

As a full-time student, I didn't dedicate much time to working other than some part time jobs and as a result, I wasn't able to make a dent in my student loans until I started my career with Verizon.

0

Kelley’s Answer

I would have done a few things differently...I would have studied abroad, I would have asked my top professors to be career mentors, II would have interned during the summers to get a better feel for what I wanted to do when I graduated.  A business degree is so broad; there were many career options to consider.

0

Capria’s Answer

I would do two things differently. First I would live on campus so I could be more involved with activities that would go on outside of school hours. The second is I would look for a semester or year long study abroad as it was one of the most significant learning experiences that I have ever had.

Capria recommends the following next steps:

Be more involved: join a club or start a club
Study Abroad: Don't worry about the costs, the experience is more than worth it!

0

Jayne’s Answer

Maintain a better balance between studies and extracurricular activities.  

0

Ganesh’s Answer

Honestly, I would love to explore more in learning new technologies, study on how technology can be utilized in solving our day-to-day problems.
Another point is to work closely with teachers in building the content for upcoming students.

0

Trevor’s Answer

I would actually take the time to enjoy the experience more! School is about more than just classes and studying. You'll never have a chance to build lifetime friendships like you can in college so take advantage of that.

0

Emilio’s Answer

Hi there!!

College was a great experience for me, but I wish I took more online classes at community colleges. This would have saved me money and allowed me to focus more on my upper division classes.

0

If I could redo college, I would have spent more time studying abroad and become fluent in a foreign language.

0

Claire’s Answer

Not underestimate my abilities as a freshman and try out for as many organizations as I can! Start early!

0

The biggest thing that I recommend EVERY college student should do? TAKE YOUR GEN-EDS AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE. You will save a ridiculous amount of money that will help you in the long run. Example, I'm currently working on my second Master's Degree which is highly specialized. The program allows you to take two pre-requisite courses at a community college and the remainder must be taken at a four year institution. My bill for eight credits at the community college was $689. My bill at the four year university for 10 credits is $3,384. Moral of the story? Save yourself some money at the beginning and 25 year old you will thank you in the long run.

0

Denise’s Answer

Hi Mireia! That is definitely a good question. Looking back, I definitely should have stressed less about school and the future - despite how cliche that sounds. I was active in organizations and clubs my freshman and sophmore year but was not as much in my last two years and that was when I felt the most empty. So I would suggest instead of joining many orgs, just narrow it down to one or two that you enjoy (and does not have to be related to your major) and focus on making an impact there! Make friends and welcome in the underclassmen when the time comes. School and career paths will fall into place eventually. Everyone else also does not know exactly what they want. So just enjoy your time there before you move onto your next phase in life! Best of luck!

0

Ron’s Answer

I would have done more research on the long term viability of my career choice. In addition, if necessary, how easy is it to transition from your career choice to other similar careers.  I

0

kalyan’s Answer

I would have give more focused on some important subjects such as Data structures and Big Data .

And of-cousre could have played some outdoor games rather then playing PC games :D

0

Avi’s Answer

I would have focused my efforts on getting international exposure in addition to my business studies. In the business world, what matters is not just what you know, but also how to put what you have learned into practice.

Different cultures have different ways of practicing business principles. Getting an internship internally or studying a course abroad would have allowed me to gain a higher appreciation of business practices across cultures.

0

Jaclyn’s Answer

I would have gone abroad or travelled further from school to broaden my perspective

0

Ashley’s Answer

I went to a college that had 5+ more colleges in the same area. I would have looked to reach beyond just my peers at my college, but network with others that had the same major as me.

0

Douglas’s Answer

0

Tiffany’s Answer

I would have tried to live on campus longer! I moved off campus early to save money but in the end, the costs were pretty similar being on and off campus. Being off campus also made it harder to connect with people, join activities, and get to my job. If your situation allows, being on campus would be more engaging/fun!

0

Donna’s Answer

Get involved. Whether it is in campus life or in the community. Volunteer. Start networking earlier and looking for a mentor. I spent my college years taking 21-25 credits per semester and needing to pass with all A's. I should have taken a bit more time for a social life and maybe an A- or B. I would have been happier for it.

0

Rey’s Answer

I would pay more attention for international internship opportunities!

0

Zach’s Answer

I would have gotten my degree in Information Systems and would have taken more courses in high school and over summer at the local community college. The great thing is colleges now offer so many options for degrees that give you an endless list of options when it comes to choosing your career.

0

Lindsey’s Answer

I would have immersed myself more in the college experience. Depending on the university you attend, there are usually an abundance of opportunities to get involved, get leadership experience, and meet new people! This is one of the only times you will be able to take advantage of these opportunities for free :)

0

Jane’s Answer

I would talk to my professors more. I'm introverted, but I realize now that professors enjoy talking to their students one on one. Those discussions can lead to many opportunities. You might be asked to help them with a volunteer project, the relationship could result into a mentor relationship, or you could simply gain a better understanding of your course work. But you never know unless you try. So, if you are an introvert like me, don't let that stop you. Step up and talk to your professors outside of class. You'll be glad you did.

0

Ryan’s Answer

Hi Mireia, I would definitely be a lot more mindful about organizing my time. You are in charge of how you want your life to be. Be mindful of creating a solid work/life balance. I always find that having a planner was very helpful. I feel that writing everything down makes your goals more tangible.

0

Margie’s Answer

I would start off at a two year college and get all my basics out of the way. Smaller classes and more one on one with instructors. Especially the math courses where one might need a little more assistance. But make sure to check what courses will transfer over to a four year college for your Bachelors.

0

Maria’s Answer

I would have stayed a semester longer after discovering something I was passionate about, so I can explore it more before heading to the workforce. Also, I would have taken more advantage of extracurriculars!

0

Wenmiao’s Answer

Personally, I would definitely spend more time on traveling and know more new people ! When I was in college , I was always busy with tons of assignments every day, so sad :( ;also I lived at the same city when I was in middle school, high school and college. So I always wanted to travel more cities and know more cultures. It's such a special experience when you go to a city that you know nothing about, you can take time to learn its history and culture. People living there may have a total different daily life from those in your hometown. How amazing it is! Although sometimes it's difficult to keep the balance with studying and entertainment, it's always worthy spending time on traveling and knowing new people:)

0

Deborah’s Answer

I would have picked a very specific major instead of a generalized major. For example, I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. I should have chosen specifically marketing or management.

0

Zhu’s Answer

My understanding is, you are trying to find some useful advice for your college life right?

In my opinion, no matter what I answer to this question, It always is a supplement for my achievement based on my experience. It's for myself, not others. Thus is not instructive to others. Everyone has his/her own aspiration, you may find the right way to spend your time only based on your own. What do you want to be? Usually, we know what is the right thing to do, but we just cannot control ourselves, we know we should read more books, we should focus on knowledge, we should study harder, don't waste time. But the entertainment is more attractive, those electronic games, those movies and TV series, and we are easily persuaded by ourselves that I can master my life, spend some time to relax will not have any bad impact.

So don't ask others, just ask yourself. what do you want to be? what do you want to get in that period? everyone has a different answer, but the answer is for himself and will help him to know, what he should do.

0

Priscilla’s Answer

Hey Mireia,

Great question! I think the three biggest takeaways I had from college were:

1) Study Abroad (if you can)! I know it can be expensive and challenging to coordinate your schedule around an international trip, as well as missing a semester at your actual college, however, my greatest memories were from studying abroad. And, there's not another time in your life where you could really live in another country(ies) while gaining an education.

2) Say Yes to doing everything. My parents gave me this piece of advice when they dropped me off at college, and I said yes to new friends, new adventures, and new opportunities instead of staying in or constantly studying (although, this is important!) and it really made my transition into college seamless.

3) Get a Part-Time Job. This enabled me to build my resume, gain work experience, and create a network prior to stepping into adulthood. This also set me apart during recruitment. I actually had several part-time jobs throughout college and my favorite was working for professors in various departments at my university. The connections I made with them and the work experience I gained still remains with me today in my job at PwC.

0