If you could redo college, what would you do differently?

167
167

Marina’s Answer

11
Mireia,

Personally, I would be more focused, waste less time and get more sleep. Sometimes in college you become overwhelmed with new found freedom and experiences, that it's easy for your studies to become less of a priority. It's good to be mindful of that and keep a schedule of the work you need to accomplish and stick to it.
Thank you so much for your advice! Mireia R.
You're welcome. Best of luck! Marina Cubias-Castro
STUDY ABROAD!!! Kristen (Field) Manfield
11

Edmond’s Answer

10

Two things: (1) I would have tried to convince one of my professors to be my mentor; (2) team up with other students for study and homework. It's OK to study on your own but find one or two other students who are better than you are in a given subject and do some of the harder homework together. In that setting where we explain the topic verbally, the brain functions much better.

10

5
Well, honestly, I would have enjoyed life more. You have your whole life ahead of you to be saddled with adult responsibilities. I would have gone out more, explored new and different things, and taken the time to be a kid. I was a nerdy, goody two-shoes who never got in trouble. While I do NOT advocate doing anything illegal that will potentially jeopardize your entire future life and career, it is important to learn how to socialize and relax. In fact, socializing is actually a required skill for successful networking and career-advancement. Everything in moderation!

Kim
Thank you so much for your insight! Mireia R.
I couldn't agree more with you Kim. College is the time to not only discover yourself , but make everlasting memories. You have put across the answer beautifully. Kudos. Priyanka Agrawal
Though i agree with your answer, sometimes i feel like i should have utilised it a bit for efficiently. I've spent like 80% of the time making memories and 20% to actually study. Looking back, I feel that i could've probably pushed the needle a little towards studies as well. Not that I'm not happy with where i am but just a thought. Surendra Kanala
5

Kaelynn E.’s Answer

4
My biggest regret from college is not looking into a study abroad program. Projects, homework, taking classes, all of that will continue throughout your career, but traveling is something that will continually give you new perspectives. When you get out into the "real world" you will find your time is much more limited (if you thought that was even possible), so try to make the most of your entire college experience in the most rewarding ways possible.
4

Matthew’s Answer

2
I would have built a broader network. Nowhere else do you have such easy access to people with such different backgrounds, interests and aspirations. One thing I have learned after college is that you have no idea how a relationship or interaction in the past will generate an opportunity in the future. Your life experiences will be more meaningful if you are open to expanding your network and the journey will be infinitely more exciting.
2

JENNA’s Answer

2
I would have focused harder on my language classes, I would have studied abroad during the semester, and I would have been more involved- I wish I had participated in more events, organizations or volunteer activities. I really value the friendships I created in college- I would have worked harder to cultivate more of them.
Thank you for your insight! Mireia R.
2

Amanda’s Answer

2

I would have taken part in more activities and used all the services that were offered. I was too focused on just the work. I think I missed out on a lot.

Thank you for sharing! Mireia R.
2

Eugene’s Answer

2

As you progress through your career, we tend to focus on getting jobs done and working to achieve stretch goals. Time to dedicate to Learning becomes harder, so firstly, I would appreciate the time at college.

Secondly, sometimes we are too hard on ourselves on trying to achieve a grade. You only have a certain amount of energy, so be clear on your outcomes ie. Grade can be necessary vs I'm just here to build a skill.

Thirdly, I would not focus on studying something to get the big $$$. This doesnt mean to ignore it but don't forget to feed the soul and explore different subjects. Experiment don't be afraid to fail.

Colleague is great to develop your thinking and build relationships. It takes practice. I wish I had better habits. Read more, write more papers without trying to make it perfect. Journalling is another great too to create clarity of thought. These give you great foundations to build upon and then you spend most of your energy growing, instead of trying to catch up :)

Eugene recommends the following next steps:

• journalling
2

Christina’s Answer

2

I would have gotten more involved in the school itself- student government, clubs, etc. This would have given me a more well -rounded experience and an opportunity to meet different people. I went to school with a lot of my friends and we had a great time, but meeting other people would have given me an opportunity to get different perspectives. In addition, I would also have connected with more of my professors to gain some professional mentorship. #liveandlearn

2

Lauren’s Answer

1
What a good question! I loved my experience but I think I would have made an effort to study abroad. I love to travel now, but I think the experience of living somewhere totally different for a while would have been incredibly valuable. I also would have studied a language more seriously (I took one semester of Spanish).
1

Nagendra’s Answer

1
Good Question. Life doesn't give an opportunity to role the time back .

If at all i get an offer to do it , i want to do it from High school level. Since that one particular subject mark pulled me down in getting admission to the college of my wish.

1

Tracey’s Answer

0
Ask for more exposure to the career I'm considering. eg. Coffee chat with someone in that profession ( in person or virtually) ; A day in the life of internships etc.) Studying in said career path to realize later that it's not a good fit is disheartening. Ask more, don't be shy to get out there.
0

Owen’s Answer

0
I would suggest you not to rush to do your work. The important thing is not finish the homework or project as soon as possible, but to think carefully about how the system behind the question works. When you do that, you will not only know the answer to the question, but also gain much more beside this specific question.
0

Jaclyn’s Answer

0

I would have gone abroad or travelled further from school to broaden my perspective

0

Abhishek’s Answer

0
College is the best time to invest your time into subject or courses as after the college is over the time window will reduce for self.
My suggestion, focus on 2-3 subject which you are interested in, like excel on them.
During the interview drive as being a fresher the more deeper and out of the box answer a candidate provide they have more chances of hiring.
0

Paul’s Answer

0
I would have studied abroad. This would have pushed me more out of my comfort zone and allowed me to travel. I also would have done speech and debate.
0

0
I would have gone in with less intention of "what I wanted to be when I grew up". I would have spent more time and energy learning about what I'm good at and what I enjoy doing and figured out how to make a career out of that. I also would have networked more.
0

sridhar’s Answer

0

I would have spend more time in learning history and literature, Students who understand the history and historic mistakes can only take this socitey forward by avoiding the mistakes from the past.

0

Tobias’s Answer

0
I was active in cross country and track, worked 10 - 20 hours per week, studied full-time, and still tried to find time to be social while I was in college. That pretty much consumed all of my time. The one thing I'd do differently is to build better relationships with my professors and try to learn more from them outside the context of the textbook.

As I've grown in my career, mentorship has played such a big role in growing quickly and the relationships I've built have been more valuable than the technical things I've solved. I would try to start building those relationships sooner, as each professor, co-worker, friend, or stranger is going to have something unique that you can learn from them and that you can teach them.
0

Gabriel’s Answer

0
I know this is an older question but in briefly scanning the answers (which are very helpful) I didn't find a scenario that matched my own life.

What would I have done differently? I would not have dropped out/stopped attending/taken a "semester off". I didn't necessarily lack a support system, but I was always kind of independent and my parents kind of let me do my own thing. After three semesters I realized I didn't know what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It wasn't until many years later that a former high school teacher told me (and take this with a grain of salt, but it meant the world to me) "You rarely go to college to learn a skill or trade - you go to college to learn how to learn."

No matter what...unless there is some really dire circumstance...don't stop. Don't quit. Those letters after your name mean a ton. Do finals and 8:00 AM classes make life a pain? Yup. Suck it up and do the four years. You made it through high school...you can do the same in college. Don't start something you aren't able to finish. (And there's nothing worse than paying on student loans for a degree you never got.) I know...after high school four years seems like a prison sentence - but the rest of your life will be grateful you sucked it up and got it done. Working a full time job and taking one class at a time (took me about six years) just to get a BBA...had I just sought out help from the mentors I had...my life would likely be different. I can not stress enough how important it is to just get that degree. I come from a long line of "English majors" who did nothing remotely-close to their field of study. That's okay...but their degrees allowed them to get jobs in fields and find their passions. And let's be honest - the days of coming right out of college and working for one company until you retire are long gone.

And if any of you are either a fan of or major in the theatre arts...may I recommend "If I Could've Been" from Working.
0

Jane’s Answer

0
I would talk to my professors more. I'm introverted, but I realize now that professors enjoy talking to their students one on one. Those discussions can lead to many opportunities. You might be asked to help them with a volunteer project, the relationship could result into a mentor relationship, or you could simply gain a better understanding of your course work. But you never know unless you try. So, if you are an introvert like me, don't let that stop you. Step up and talk to your professors outside of class. You'll be glad you did.
0

Illya’s Answer

0
I think I would have used my free time better like getting more involved in a club I was interested in, really participating at networking events, tried to hang out with more people and worked on getting A's in those easy classes.
0

Donniese’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia R.,
If I could redo college the #1 thing I would do is finish my degree program. I let outside people and forces get in the way of my goal and lost track of my initial focus - getting my degree. That currently is my one regret.
Other than that - staying on one path. I knew what I wanted to do when I started and what career choice I wanted to pursue after college but once I got entangled in the University life I ended up switching my major 3 times (which also hindered me finishing my degree plan).
Get the basics out of the way before making an informed decision on what degree plan you want to follow.
0

Anubhav’s Answer

0
One of the things I would have definitely done is pursued the Entrepreneurship Certification over Management minor as the courses and learning experience would have been a whole lot better. In addition, I would have definitely interned at two different companies that getting different experiences at different companies expose you to different industries and cities (potentially).
0

Kaitlyn’s Answer

0

I would think twice about taking out large student loans. I chose a school I wanted to go to and I lived on campus. Had I been a commuter or even chose a school with lower costs, I would have saved some serious money and wouldn't be paying the student loan debt I am paying now (it costs more than my mortgage).

In addition- I would have waited to obtain my Master's Degree. I got it right after getting my Bachelor's. If I had waited until I was employed, my employer would have paid my tuition (instead of me now paying back a loan for the degree).

Last thing I would have done differently: I should have taken networking more seriously as a college student. I don't have many contacts from college I could go to for advice or for various opportunities. I wish I would have spent more time building my professional network.

Kaitlyn recommends the following next steps:

• Research schools that offer your desired academic program and compare their costs.
  • Determine if the cost of the school you want to go to is worth it based on the average salary you will make upon graduation
0

Patricia’s Answer

0

Such a FUN question. Ohboy if I could redo college. College is suppose to be a time to meet new friends and have fun. There are sororities to think about, new friends to meet, parties; extra curricular activities - you are able to choose everything and there is a great deal of responsibility and time management. Unfortunately I started later in life and changing career paths. I enrolled in the BSN-RN program and what a program that is. It takes all of your time (and sleep). I didn't have much time for football, tailgating parties and the like due to it was such a rigorous program and consumes all of your free time. I attended college during the summer months too while in the program (year round) and only saw my friends at Christmas. But I wouldn't change anything at this point. I have my BSN-RN degree and that is the door to all possibilities in this life. So sacrificing football games and sororities for my degree is a good thing. Thank you for such a wonderful question and enjoy your education. Choose wisely and don't allow anything to take you from the path of the 'good life'. Surviving college takes a lot of hard work but once you have your degree no one can take it away from you. Cool huh!

0

Paul’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

I'm personally in college right now but if I could redo my college experience - I would focus more on my academics. I feel as though I didn't as much academic success as I had done in high school so definitely could work on that with a fresh start. I would also reach out more to the people living next door or who I sit next to in class cause honestly I feel as though everybody in college is on the same ship - but just going to different destinations. We still all go through the same waves and motions so why not make some conversations while we're at it. Great and interesting question!

Sincerely,

Paul
0

Naveed’s Answer

0

I really enjoyed my time at college, studied science subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics). I would study IT more, spend more time in understanding how the internet works. I would do some certifications on my own apart from just going to college for a degree. College degree helps but certifications get you the job. This is what my experience is. Learn a skill like photography early in my life, and keep developing it through out my life.

Naveed recommends the following next steps:

• Join a university
  • Find work in your education field
  • Keep doing certifications
0

Gloria’s Answer

0
I would go to a college closer to home and take my first two years in state. Schools are all the same around the basics in many ways. It also would have given more exposure to what I might want to do for a living.
0

Daniel’s Answer

0

Take a few hours at a local community college and intern at a local company or organization that you find interesting and are planning to study in college.  Apply to a few in-state schools  to transfer to after a year of community college.  You can get a few hours of college credit, intern on the side and save a little money for college at the same time.

0

Angel’s Answer

0
The next generation will be filled with entrepreneurs. I wish I would have learn things like business management, finance or economics. These fields make the world go round and could be used to prepare yourself for the real world.
0

Ally’s Answer

0
I would've looked for a study abroad program and spent more time getting to know other students outside my circle. I think that networking to meet new people connects you with people that aren't like you, which gives you a broader view of the world. I think that college is for learning life skills as much as what's in the classroom, so I think taking the time to enjoy the "college life" is very important, and I think I could've dove deeper into that.
0

Michele’s Answer

0

What a great question ... I would definitively invest more time networking, giving back to the community and focusing on self development. There are so many opportunities, you now have time to explore, travel, meet new people and make a difference; take advantage of the time you have and help others. If i could go back i would definitively join the peace corps and travel the world before jumping into corporate America!

0

TV’s Answer

0

Dear Mireia,

I graduated from college almost 8 years back and the memories that I made are still fresh in mind. I had a fabulous time in college which involved lots of challenges like stressful nights before exam, worrying about results etc. However, I had a great group of friends, who were my support system during those tough times. Eventually everything fell into place but in hindsight I feel I could have worked harder and earned better grades. But that certainly cannot take away the great time I had there.

So, if I could redo college, I would work harder, learn more and make many many more memories!

TV recommends the following next steps:

• Maintain a schedule
  • Don't forget to have some fun
0

Kiran’s Answer

0
I still remember , I spent more time with very closed group and more on academics even though I was good at sports.

If I were to redo the college, I will do below..

1. Connect with more people to learn different things from them.
2. I would have joined more sports related activities.
3. Don't plan on anything specific skill(technology) instead learn some broader skills.

0

Ari’s Answer

0
I would try not to be so stubborn about things and really listen to the advice that people gave me so that I didnt put myself in situations that I didn't want to be in. It is one thing to do something you will regret but it is a whole other ballgame when you say things that you will regret saying. Truth is actions might speak louder than words but words hurt more because once you say something you can't take it back.
0

Dennis’s Answer

0
Just strive even harder to be the Best and the results will show!!
0

Debjeet’s Answer

0
I would list out what I would like to do differently,if I had to redo college:
1. Be more social and keep networking
2.Learn a lot more on my areas of interest
3.Take part in more student club activities.
4.Keep my lethargy aside and do something productive.
0

Dan’s Answer

0
In my experience and the friends, family and coworkers around me choosing a major early can be problematic.
I started as an English Major and would change that major three times before I graduated. In the end had I not declared until Junior year I would have saved myself thousands of dollars and a year of time.
Take classes that interest you and look for real life experience like internships to make sure you are moving yourself into a strong future and painting yourself into a corner.

Dan recommends the following next steps:

• Intern and or work at entry level jobs in your field so you can discover if you even like the job you are looking for.
  • Save money and go to a state college, in the thousands of resumes I have looked at the graduation date was more important then than the school.
  • Wait until Junior year to declare your major.
0

0
I wish I had more BALANCE! College is a time to learn and gain knowledge on education towards your potential job and career. It is also a time to learn about life and a time to build relationships and enjoy your time by making the most of it. Not all learning comes from books. Studying hard is still my main suggestion, but get involved with clubs, sorority/fraternity, sports and other activities. This gives your certain perspectives and understanding that will shape you. You will also learn valuable life lessons that no book can ever teach. The best decision I ever made was to meet with my adviser regularly. Many college students don't know what they want in a career yet in college. I got a list of internships and picked the most interesting one....30 years later, I am still with the same company!
0

0
If I were to Redo College what would I change? Great question first! I feel that I would change my way of looking at college. Before I was there to play Baseball. I tried hard and graduated, however; I feel that at times I only saw college to further my Baseball career. At times I should have taken it more seriously and should have chosen a major that I feel would have been more suited as to what my current profession is. In addition I should have maybe been a bit more serious when it came to choosing a college to attend. I chose the first place that I was accepted to and then ended up transferring. As for the college that I transferred to I loved it; however, it might not have been the college that I would have chosen if I did not like the first college that I went to. I hope that this help!
0

Jeff’s Answer

0
I would recommend being more involved in non-academic opportunities on campus. While getting your basics out of the way take time to join, clubs and extra curricular activities. These less-stress opportunities to meet new people and experience new things can really help you discover what you are passionate about and you may end up following a different path that originally planned. One thing I wouldn't change and would recommend is to get some basic programming/ coding skills for any profession.
0

Jerome’s Answer

0

Great question!! I would have taken greater advantage of being around very smart people who have devoted their life to teaching others. Most profs I encountered really enjoyed getting to share their experiences and insight beyond the textbooks and tests which are really beneficial in really seeing if these fields of study have potential as career paths. Additionally, their contacts in various fields of study and industry can prove very valuable for your post-studies path. In short, take advantage of office hours and build those relationships!

0

Norma’s Answer

0
Hi. I think I would do several things differently.
1. Focus - apply myself more
2. work less hours - working full time plus overtime and going to school full time prevented me from sleeping enough and studying
3. live on campus - I attended what is known as a "commuter school" (live close enough not to live on campus that you can drive yourself - i lived 30 minutes or so away)
4. get more involved - i was a member of student government, but didn't always volunteer as I was interested but not motivated to participate

When planning your future, think about some of these things before you make a decision as to where you will go. :-)
0

Lisa’s Answer

0

What a tough question!  Sometimes we have an idea of what we'd like to study, but not a definitive idea of how that would translate into a career.  If I could go back, I would make a list of my interests and strengths, and compare those with available career opportunities to ensure my courses and major are going to result in job placement after college.  I ended up in a career that I love, but I have friends and colleagues whose selected their major without thinking about the number of available jobs in that field and have settled for jobs that are outside of their field of study.  Good luck!

0

Trevor’s Answer

0
I would actually take the time to enjoy the experience more! School is about more than just classes and studying. You'll never have a chance to build lifetime friendships like you can in college so take advantage of that.
0

Darrell’s Answer

0
I would do everything different. I would first make sure I truly understood the opportunity the was in front of me. I would build as many positive relationships as possible for great networking after school. I would focus more on my learning and understanding of my major. But above all not let it stress me out as much and enjoy every moment.
0

Ryan’s Answer

0
I would definitely try and do an internship to try and get an idea of what work I would enjoy. Often you are told what you should do, or think you have ideas what specific jobs would be like. When you get the chance to work in a field, it will really open your eyes. Also, balance your passions and what you think you'd be able to turn into a job that will support you. It's great to study something you really enjoy, but if no one will hire you after school, you could be in trouble. Also, just chasing a job or career for money isn't necessarily the answer either.
0

Doug’s Answer

0

If I were to redo college, I would have went sooner. I didn't start college until I was almost 40. It's been a great experience even at a bit of an older age but I wish I had started sooner and had a bigger head start.

0

Niraj’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

I would have chosen the pilot career since the cockpit, controls, airplanes, airbus fascinate me. Even though I am quite happy with whatever I am doing currently (server virtualization engineer), I am an aviation enthusiast as a side interest. There is no harm in doing any side activities or hobbies, we all have it.

Sincerely,
Niraj
0

Ari’s Answer

0
If I could redo the first half of my college career (I am finishing my third year currently) I would say that I needed to find different friends to hang out with so that I did not always feel like I was in a toxic environment. I also probably would have found different roommates to live with because it is hard to live with two people in a small space. Along with that I might have decided to drop a class at the first sign of struggle because of the way that a professor taught without a textbook which is not the way that I learn best.
0

Sergio’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

If I can do college all over again I would do a combination of what I already did and a couple of other new things. In college I focused on being able to balance having great grades and being as involved as possible. In that aspect what I would do differently is instead of being so involved in Greek Life I would also have been more involved in academic/professional clubs and become an executive board member of those clubs. By doing so, I would've gotten more exposure to like minded individuals and other professionals. I would also have also done more consistent research in what majors are in high demand and really analyze if I can see myself working in that industry.

0

Megan’s Answer

0
If I could re-do my college experience, I would take more time to explore various areas of study. I went into College with course credit from high school courses; therefore, I did not have many core courses to continue taking and was not able to pay for "extra" classes while taking my time choosing a major. I selected a very specific area of study, which did not leave me with many job options post graduation. Due to this, I went back to school to gain my Masters.

Don't hesitate to research/ grab a mentor/ take a few electives, etc. before you focus in on one area of study. This decision impacts the rest of your life. :)
0

Denise’s Answer

0

Shadow.  Sometimes your perception of a career and reality of the career differ.  Better to know that before investing years of college to find out it is what you want to do.  Ask about other career opportunities within the organization which may align with your interests/strengths.  Don't be fixated on having to know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life.  Explore several different options.     

0

Steven Chang-Hsun’s Answer

0

If I could redo college, I would explore more interests and opportunities outside my major. Seek more opportunities to study or work abroad. Pick up a new language and try to master it.

Steven Chang-Hsun recommends the following next steps:

• discuss with friends, family and even strangers to hear various of answers
  • prioritize your goals and list the resources you may have during college or in the near future
  • start to do it now. slow but steady.
0

Anuja’s Answer

0

Hello,

I have would have done a lot of independent projects that cover the subjects from my majors. Also, I would have joined a club and taken part in lots of club activity.

0

Jillian’s Answer

0
I would have done more within the college community and be more active in all of the programs that my school offered. I would have also taken advantage of travel and going abroad.
0

0

If i could redo college, will try to understand what companies are looking to recruit from my college and learn more about them. This will help in aligning my choice of the company based on my career goals. Look to connect with the Alumni of the college.

0

Cynthia’s Answer

0

Great question. I would first take a test of interest and interview people in the fields. Then research the future of that field.

0

Heena’s Answer

0

I would have opted for Graduation in Mathematics, instead of electrical. It took a bit longer for me to understand this fact.

0

Jeremy’s Answer

0

This is a very good question! My university experience was heavily focused on academic performance and volunteerism. I was very "future focused" and tried to do everything I could in the moment to prepare myself for life after graduating. Looking back, I definitely could've taken my foot off the pedal and pursued personal goals - for example, I always wanted to learn music and there were clubs on campus that taught music.

I think everyone has something they wish they could change, and it's useful to take these learnings forward after college to continue to improve as an individual.

0

Zach’s Answer

0
I would have gotten my degree in Information Systems and would have taken more courses in high school and over summer at the local community college. The great thing is colleges now offer so many options for degrees that give you an endless list of options when it comes to choosing your career.
0

Alex’s Answer

0
I think I would take advantage of all that a college has to offer. I was so focused on my studies that I missed out on numerous extra-curricular activities. Obviously you need to be focused but setting aside some time for other interests will be beneficial in the end.
0

Sandi’s Answer

0
I would do a few things differently, but most importantly:
1. Study a subject that provides me a hard skill and do supplemental read for the soft skills!
2. Read more books on how to apply the skills I learned in class.
3. Develop organizational habits that will help substantially as I begin my career.

* I wish someone had told me #1!
0

Abbey’s Answer

0
If I could do something different in college, I would better balance my time between school work and social experiences. There is pressure to perform well in classes, to get internships, scholarships, and job opportunities, but this does not mean you need to maintain a 4.0 GPA. Of course, prioritize your schoolwork but also carve out time to enjoy hobbies and meet new people. Additionally, I wish I had gotten more involved in campus clubs and activities. Universities offer endless opportunities to get involved, so take time to join a club or team. This is a great way to expand your network and again, make memories. Overall, branch out in college, try new activities, and find a healthy balance between school and fun.
0

Douglas’s Answer

0
Focus on a broader major that is a good fit for my passion and personality.
0

Douglas’s Answer

0
0

Gaurav’s Answer

0
Very interesting question. I would do the following.
1) More outgoing ( Talk with more folks)
2) Focus on couple of things for career planning and gain some certification
3) Learn lots of presentation skills
4) Think about higher study or plan about what I am going to do after college finish
0

Jim’s Answer

0

Great question! I would take more time to form relationships with others going into a similar field/career. I found that most people formed their core groups of friends early and just continued to spend time with those core people. Though I met others in classes, I didn't build or foster those relationships with those going into my field which would have been helpful when first entering the workforce.

0

Tamecheo’s Answer

0
If I could redo college, I would do the following differently. With that said, my path was my path because it made me the person I am today. Choose your path wisely.
1. I would have taken advantage of my career advisor's office hours during my freshman year to ensure I was on the exact path regarding my major once I selected it as I started "Undecided".
2. I would have researched majors, salaries, and did some job-shadowing to ensure I was on the path which would make me happy and earn a decent starting salary. I did not understand the important of this until I was older as once you’re an adult you will constantly do this. If you get it right in the beginning, you are ahead of the game.
3. I would have studied to retain the information rather than memorize to obtain optimal grades. Looking back, graduating with honors does not have as much meaning as being able to recall what I learned during my 3.5 years of college until graduation.
4. I would have participated in more extracurricular activities as my focus then was work-study, part-time job, study groups, and my boyfriend. Looking back, I missed a lot of my college life experiences. (Moderation in everything is ideal)
5. I would have taken Spanish more aggressively rather than just one summer school course. I would have immersed myself in the language to become bi-lingual.
6. I would have done an internship, but I don't recall even knowing about internships then. Internships allow you to get your foot in the door for a job and even possibly a career after earning your degree. Employers want experienced candidates, not just those with a degree.
7. Listen to those older than you that are doing well for themselves. Be humble to take the advice they are giving as they know what they are talking about because they have been there done that. Learn from their mistakes and do not repeat them. Trust me, you will be them one day speaking to the youth as it's a never-ending cycle.
0

Jordan J’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia, if I could redo college over again, I would definitely be less focused on the timeline of it all. My problem being a first year college student was being too over focused on how long this entire process will take until I finally graduate. The more you think about that, the more it worries you and you begin to lose focus on the present. Long story short, I saw the long process ahead of me and dropped out thinking I was never gonna get there. However, I did eventually go back and graduating at 23 years old. Not too bad, but I definitely lost time. So two things I would advise, don't lose yourself in the time frame because those four years really did fly by and also get a job to build that resume once you graduate; any job looks good, especially compared to someone with no experience.
0

Zhu’s Answer

0
My understanding is, you are trying to find some useful advice for your college life right?

In my opinion, no matter what I answer to this question, It always is a supplement for my achievement based on my experience. It's for myself, not others. Thus is not instructive to others. Everyone has his/her own aspiration, you may find the right way to spend your time only based on your own. What do you want to be? Usually, we know what is the right thing to do, but we just cannot control ourselves, we know we should read more books, we should focus on knowledge, we should study harder, don't waste time. But the entertainment is more attractive, those electronic games, those movies and TV series, and we are easily persuaded by ourselves that I can master my life, spend some time to relax will not have any bad impact.

So don't ask others, just ask yourself. what do you want to be? what do you want to get in that period? everyone has a different answer, but the answer is for himself and will help him to know, what he should do.
0

Jill’s Answer

0
I would have taken a working internship in the field I was studying. It's very important to get that experience on your resume once you graduate to get the job you want in the field you want. It's a very competitive world, so anything you can do to make yourself stand out from all the other college graduates is important. Working in your field of study will also help you realize if that's the job you really want when you get out of school. Also, get involved! I think employers today look for the total package: education, experience, and volunteerism. Good luck!
0

Tiffany’s Answer

0
I would have tried to live on campus longer! I moved off campus early to save money but in the end, the costs were pretty similar being on and off campus. Being off campus also made it harder to connect with people, join activities, and get to my job. If your situation allows, being on campus would be more engaging/fun!
0

Samuel’s Answer

0

I would become involved in the entrepreneurial community as early as possible and start a business sooner. I didn't get involved in the entrepreneurial community till my senior project, and it was literally life changing in many ways. There's a reason universities are the breeding ground for so many startups - having access to some of the world's best equipment, technology, software, and last but not least, minds, is such a massive opportunity, that if someone is focused and uses the available resources and support, they can truly change their life.

Samuel recommends the following next steps:

• Join your entrepreneurial community.
  • Start a business
0

Manu’s Answer

0
I will try to develop my inter personal skills/communication/collaborative skills.

Try to invest time in some sports/yoga/dance.
0

Nathan’s Answer

0
There are a few things I would consider closely when you're in college. It's a big task but it's also a huge piece of your life so have some fun but keep your priorities in line. You're there for an education and that should always remain at the top of the priority list but fun and relationships should be a close second. Relationships should be established with professors as they are the ones at the end of your time there that will likely be writing your recommendation letters. I also changed my major after two years from a biology/chemistry degree to marketing which was a big change and made the last two years stressful in order to graduate in 4 years. I wish I would have taken the time to really assess what I wanted to do and spoke to my adviser more frequently to make sure I was on the right path. Because of that change I didn't have the time to build close relationships with my new professors in the business department and I lost touch with the professors in the science department due to being so busy. So here are a few things I would change.

1. Get involved in your own education, don't prioritize fun over projects and departmental involvement
2. Intentionally develop relationships that will last with your professors, advisers and mentors
3. Use electives to help guide your education path, don't take the easy classes to just get by. An elective course may open your eyes to a whole new field of interest that could change your path
0

Sheila’s Answer

0

Hello Mireia:

This is a great question; thank you. If I could go back in time and redo college I'd do the following:

1) Scholarship Opportunities: Take advantage of all the current scholarship opportunities. There are so many scholarship opportunities out there until most students miss out probably due to their lack of knowledge on where to go for them by not doing their research in advance.

2) Work Part-time: I worked a full-time job while I was in college including during the summer. If I could redo I would have worked part-time and got more involved with on-campus activities and organizations. But, I was thankful for the company's tuition reimbursement program because this helped out financially.

3) Seek a Mentor: Although I was a very diligent student I wish I had seek out a mentor while in college.

I wish you much success on your journey. Best of luck to you!

~ Sheila

0

Kendrall’s Answer

0
There isn't much I would change about my college experience except for one thing - I would focus more on getting tangible professional experience. I majored in what I wanted to, and I'm happy with my decision. I created amazing relationships with people I still know and trust today. I did my best to balance fun and work, and I'm happy with the experiences made. The one area I didn't get what I should have was with internships, apprenticeships, etc. Granted - I was a college football player, and we were basically forbidden from having 'real' jobs when I played. That said, if I'd known then, what I know now, I certainly would have used that time to get more experience under my belt.

When you graduate, you'll be asked questions like, "What's your experience with ........" or "Have you ever.........". If you take the time to get some of those experiences (in your field of interest) before you graduate, you'll be much more competitive.
0

0

Great question.

I worked full time while attending school. I would highly recommend, concentrating your time and efforts into your classes, studies, and school activities. Get more involved in on campus groups and only work part time if needed.

Best of luck to you.

David recommends the following next steps:

• Apply for scholarships early and often. Many scholarships have few applicants.
0

Claire’s Answer

0
Not underestimate my abilities as a freshman and try out for as many organizations as I can! Start early!
0

Lindsey’s Answer

0
I would have immersed myself more in the college experience. Depending on the university you attend, there are usually an abundance of opportunities to get involved, get leadership experience, and meet new people! This is one of the only times you will be able to take advantage of these opportunities for free :)
0

Jennifer’s Answer

0

If I could redo college, I would worry less and take more chances. You have the rest of your life to play it safe, college is the time to take chances and see what happens. I tried to be too responsible and serious in college and didn't enjoy that care-free time as much as I should have. I am not advocating not studying, but I guess the old adage, "work hard, play hard!"

0

Maria’s Answer

0
I would have stayed a semester longer after discovering something I was passionate about, so I can explore it more before heading to the workforce. Also, I would have taken more advantage of extracurriculars!
0

Christina’s Answer

0
I would ask one of my professor to be my mentor and focus more on building relationships with people as well as focus more on my studies. With the freedom you have in university, there are so many things you can do and explore what you like. As you enter into the workforce, you have less time for yourself, to travel, to meet people, to build relationships and to explore what you are passionate about.

Christina recommends the following next steps:

• Build relationships
  • Find a mentor
0

Emilio’s Answer

0
Hi there!!

College was a great experience for me, but I wish I took more online classes at community colleges. This would have saved me money and allowed me to focus more on my upper division classes.
0

Cookie’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

Personally, I would have taken a little more time to find something that I was passionate about and that I LOVED doing!
0

Jordan’s Answer

0
There is one thing I would truly do differently. I would have take more advantage of the professional and business associations on campus. I may have joined some, but I didn't always participate. Participate would have been key to building relationship in the professional world after college

Jordan recommends the following next steps:

• Join a professional/business association.
  • Become a active member.
  • Become part of the board.
0

Jarebb’s Answer

0
We all know that if the opportunity to turn back the clock, you will need to prioritize and cherish what matter most.

1. Grades - Do what interest you in college. the subject matter as this will give you extra energy to complete it.
2. Time - better allocate and spend time that matters.
3. To say Yes/No - We are not super human, it is better to say yes and commit to the end to complete the journey in college.
0

REED’s Answer

0
As a full-time student, I didn't dedicate much time to working other than some part time jobs and as a result, I wasn't able to make a dent in my student loans until I started my career with Verizon.

If I had a re-do, I would've began working for a company that has a really good tuition reimbursement program. A lot of big companies have tuition reimbursement as a built in benefit of working for them (like Verizon).

This may have been a bit more difficult managing work/school but in the long run I would've paid much much less for my school out-of-pocket.
0

JOSEPH’s Answer

0

I went to college part time and did not live on campus or in a dorm. If you have the opportunity to live in campus do it. I am pleased with what I learned at college, but feel I really missed out on the full college experience of living in a dorm and forming those bonds and friendships with classmates

0

Matt’s Answer

0
I pursued a rather generic and broad major in Business Economics - while it gave me a rather large spectrum of opportunities, one thing I've seen farther removed from college is that refining a focus on say data analysis or coding would not only serve to provide you more real-world skills in your first position, but also keep the broad spectrum of opportunities available to you. Every business places a priority on being able to track their successes, so being able to compile and analyze the data behind that story will keep you in demand across lots of industries.
0

Donna’s Answer

0
Get involved. Whether it is in campus life or in the community. Volunteer. Start networking earlier and looking for a mentor. I spent my college years taking 21-25 credits per semester and needing to pass with all A's. I should have taken a bit more time for a social life and maybe an A- or B. I would have been happier for it.
0

Denise’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia! That is definitely a good question. Looking back, I definitely should have stressed less about school and the future - despite how cliche that sounds. I was active in organizations and clubs my freshman and sophmore year but was not as much in my last two years and that was when I felt the most empty. So I would suggest instead of joining many orgs, just narrow it down to one or two that you enjoy (and does not have to be related to your major) and focus on making an impact there! Make friends and welcome in the underclassmen when the time comes. School and career paths will fall into place eventually. Everyone else also does not know exactly what they want. So just enjoy your time there before you move onto your next phase in life! Best of luck!
0

Mikayla’s Answer

0

Hi Mireia,

There are quite a few things I would do differently if I could go back in time to when I was in college. The biggest thing, though, is I wish I had taken advantage of study abroad opportunities. I was so focused on getting out of college quickly and working while doing so, that I didn't really consider studying abroad. It's such a great opportunity though, and I would advise any current college students to consider it.

0

Megan’s Answer

0
I would have made more of an effort to save money throughout college. If you have any opportunities to obtain scholarships, live at home or get a job or internship during school will offset a lot of loans that will be a burden once you graduate.

Also, try to get your internships early and often. It is a great way to have money throughout college while also building a great resume that will set you up for success once you graduate.
0

0
Hey Mireia, that's a great question.

If I were to go back to college, I would probably stress less about finding the perfect major/ career early on. I would also make sure I had a better balance between my studies, social life, and get involved in student groups & clubs.

You have your entire adult & professional life ahead of you to figure things out. Too many young students feel pressured to figure out their long term career when they start college. Your career is more of a process than anything, and you might find something that interests you later in your career. Every role you have is going to be a learning experience.

I started school studying to be a Civil Engineer, then switched to Marketing, and now am working in the technology field.

Additionally, college is a place that you have so many opportunities to make lifelong friends and make connections. Taking part in social & academic clubs will also help you make connections to help you find a job after college.
0

Mark’s Answer

0
My biggest regret is not building out a larger and stronger network of the students that I went to school with. In fact, there are very few people that I went to college with that I remain in contact with today and that is a big miss on my part. I even recall professors stating how important this would be (especially during the MBA program that I completed) and while it seemed like great advice I did not do a good enough job. To be clear, it was not for any other reason then I felt that I as there to earn a degree and learn as much as possible, and from there, I became so engrossed in my professional career that I lost track of my "network". I know I can try to regain those relationships through various alumni groups but I highly encourage all of you to take the time to build very meaningful, mutually beneficial relationships as you expand your network and circle of influence. From there, stay in touch!
0

Dara’s Answer

0

When I was in college, my first two years I stayed in my own bubble a lot and wouldn’t go out and explore the city with friends or go to campus events. If I could do it differently, I would try to get more involved and get out there earlier than I did.

0

REED’s Answer

0
As a full-time student, I wasn't able to dedicate much time to working other than some part time jobs I had throughout my studies in order to have medical insurance, etc. As a result, I wasn't able to make a dent in my student loans until I started my career with Verizon.

0

Lisa’s Answer

0
1. Have an accountability buddy. Transitioning from high school to college can be tough when skipping a class is now an option (really, it shouldn't be because you fall behind quickly).

2. Use your school resources! Placement tests, checking in with career counselors to ensure you're staying on track. Think about your major, and what type of real life job/career you will be able to find after you earn your degree.

3. Prioritize studying over balancing study with work. Most of us need to balance working while going to school, but the coursework should come first. I'd try to find a job where I could study at work if possible.
0

Karin’s Answer

0
This is a bit of a tough question. One thing is maybe a bit more willing to try classes that pushed me. I am a bit stubborn about learning sometimes, I want it to be a subject that really excites me and I'm passionate about. In college I took classes that I thought were most interesting, but didn't always help me in my career. I would look outside my comfort zone a bit more than I did.
0

Alex’s Answer

0
If I was to redo college I would do a lot differently and a lot the same. The biggest things that I would focus on would be embracing everything I can handle. COllege is a time for all new experiences where you can really learn who you are. You want to experience as much as possible and meet as many people as possible. This will open you up to the world of possibilities.
0

Victor’s Answer

0
Network more and Join organizations related to my major. Give back to my community.
0

Wesley’s Answer

0
I would take time early in my college career to explore more career opportunities to determine what would be the best fit. Many times what you end up doing for a career doesn't always align with your area of study. I would of also spent some more time finding ways to travel during down times.
0

Angus’s Answer

0

Hi

Speaking for myself and some of my colleagues ... we have a few suggestions:

Think about a "study break" - take a break from the "academic" pressures - doing stuff for college (coursework, deadlines, exams results etc) - but getting out into the real world (travel, work experience, whatever) gives a different perspective which will help, when you come back, have a different, broader perspective - makes you realise why you are studying / why it matters - so helps you work hards with a better level of focus (clearer end-goals)

Consider international student exchange ... that is a GREAT way of being exposed to other cultures / countries / career opportunities etc ...

<span style="color: black;">I would have worked for a year first before going to university in order to discover what my passions were. Instead, I started a course I thought I would like but hated, essentially wasting the year. I then had to work for three years before going back in order to save money for the extortionate re-entry fees! So be careful with your initial choices. </span>

Think about the skills you need in the industries you may go and work in and think about the "softer" skills you may need that they are not teaching you in the classroom. e.g. I did a business degree, and no one taught be presentation or negotiation skills - which are every-day requirements in the "real world" - think what the equivalent is for your degree / work environment ...

Consider "mixed" topic degrees / double degree ... e.g. a colleague did Communications, but would have preferred to have done Communications AND Business combined to make it a more "real-life" useable degree (easier to change industries etc) . My daughter does Psychology AND Spanish - so gives her that extra edge for where she could work in the future

0

Alicia’s Answer

0
If I could redo college, I would get involved with clubs and organizations that interested me sooner. When I first got to college, I made friends with the people in my dorm, but didn't get involved on campus until the end of my sophomore year. I met some of my best friends in clubs that interested me like Habitat for Humanity and Beta Alpha Psi, and these people had a lot more in common with me than people that were assigned to the same dorm as me. College is a time to get outside your comfort zone and meet new people that will be a part of your network for the rest of your life, so definitely jump at the opportunity to try new things and meet new people.
0

Sovita’s Answer

0
I really enjoyed my college experience. However if I had redo, I would definitely connect more with my professors. I majored in Accounting and most of my professors were professionals in the field. They can be great mentors and career coach. Moreover they can be help network with potential employers. I would also use my college career resource to full extent. They can help out with resumes and your interview skills as well. Hope this helps!
0

kalyan’s Answer

0
I would have give more focused on some important subjects such as Data structures and Big Data .

And of-cousre could have played some outdoor games rather then playing PC games :D
0

Marco’s Answer

0
Hi Mireia,

I hope you are well! I would look for a way to learn about entrepreneurship, about business. I am an Engineer in Cybernetics and Computer Systems, I loved the university, I was a student who really struggled to learn the technical, but if I feel that I lacked to expand my knowledge on the above topics, I have learned throughout the years based on experience, courses, diplomas, books, certifications, etc.

I hope the advice is helpful and I wish you the best of success.

Cordially,

Marco
0

Sanjai’s Answer

0
A mixture of comments provided already. Be focused on your studies but at the same time make the most of the opportunities open to you. Try something new, make new friends, experience stuff
0

Alyssa’s Answer

0
1)Taken a gap year (or two) to work and take a break from school before figuring out what I really wanted to do or taken general education classes at a community college while working to put off the decision about what to major in. It's a lot of pressure / expectation to decide right out of high school what you want to do with your life! The people I met in college who waited just a little more time and spent that time exploring jobs and volunteer opportunities seemed to have more focus on what they were studying because they'd had more time to figure out what they were really interested in.

2) Been less hard on myself. I had a lot of notions of perfection, and it's just not a possible or healthy standard to hold yourself to. Unless you're continuing onto graduate school, the grades you get really don't matter. Doing your best is important, but pushing yourself to your limits just to get an A is truly not worth it.

Alyssa recommends the following next steps:

• Explore your options
0

Robert’s Answer

0

Mireia - If I could redo one thing during my college experience it would have to be that I should have listened to one of my professor's. I was finishing junior college and had to decide where I should transfer to continue my studies and he had suggested a college and I decided to attend another one instead. It was a disaster. If you are lucky enough to have that one professor who believes in you and wants the best for you, listen to them!

Think of them as your mentor, an extension of your family as they have been a large part of your life and they may see you pursuing a career track you had not envisioned, pursuing an additional educational degree, etc.. Think about what they are saying and/or encouraging you to do and perhaps take their advice.

0

Jenna’s Answer

0

I would get more involved in the college life. Take advantage of the all the programs offered. Enjoy socializing and networking. I would probably live in campus the first couple of years.

0

Alex’s Answer

0
0

Emily K.’s Answer

0
I would've researched what fields would be relevant in the future (next 5-10 years) and understand where I can start to hone my skills. I opted for a major that was generally focused, but often times, I talk to people who graduated with a major and haven't done anything with it.
0

Ruben’s Answer

0
Hello Mireia,

To be honest, I would not change a thing. I had the time of my life. I was able to meet lots of new people. I was active with many clubs and organizations. Travelled throughout the US attending conferences and meeting more people. I also worked as an intern for Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) for six months and received school credit. I also played intramural sports on campus. This social aspect of college was possible due to great time management. Time management was key in having time to do all the things I wanted to do and still do good in school. I surrounded myself with good people and always took care of business/school work. I guess one thing I would like to have done would be study abroad in Italy or Spain. Other than that, I would do everything exactly the same all over again. Great times, great memories, and great friends...
0

Virat’s Answer

0
When you redo anything, I believe you have to overcome the mistakes that you think you have made earlier.
I have tried to maintain the balance between the studies, hobbies & the fun one could have in college so have no regrets for that.

In general the intent for this question would have been what are the general regrets that people do have after passing out from the college or the learning they would like to pass on from their experience - I would say have a good time with your college mates as life is going to be tougher ahead in professional world & at the same time don't loose focus on the studies as well. A good practical understanding of the subjects is better than the theoretical knowledge.
0

Justin’s Answer

0
If I could do college differently, I would have joined organizations related to my major in my first year rather than waiting until the middle of my college career. Joining organizations early on gives you a better understanding of the profession you plan on pursuing and it allows you to network with other professionals and ask about their personal experiences. Best of luck on your college endeavours!
0

Tova’s Answer

0

I would have relied less on my classmates for help and worked more on learning how to work through coding issues on my own (I'm a software developer). When I struggled with a homework assignment or got an error I didn't know how to handle, my first reaction was to call a friend, rather than spending some time working through the issue. When I entered the workforce, I then had to unlearn this habit and learn how to do my own research and ask well-thought-out questions, rather than instinctively going straight to team members when I was stuck.

0

Deborah’s Answer

0
I would have picked a very specific major instead of a generalized major. For example, I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. I should have chosen specifically marketing or management.
0

Sheila M.’s Answer

0
Listened to my professors more, stayed in contact with more of my college friends, associates, attended more on campus events, and maybe had more fun.
0

Ganesh’s Answer

0
Honestly, I would love to explore more in learning new technologies, study on how technology can be utilized in solving our day-to-day problems.
Another point is to work closely with teachers in building the content for upcoming students.
0

joelle’s Answer

0

What a great question! I would major in something that I was passionate about and less about what I thought my parents would want me to major in. Get straight A's, take a year off, then decide what I really wanted to do as a career. I really let other people sway my decisions on what I really wanted to do.

0

Kevin’s Answer

0
I would definitely start my job search earlier, I was lucky enough to find an internship on my Junior spring semester. I just happen to pass by an info session and wanted to know what it was all about so I checked it out and that led me to get an internship. Since I am in college, I would totally find a job that suits my personality instead of jumping from job to job. If you really like a job that does not pay well, it is okay to stay in that job because you are only going to be temporarily in that position. You would rather be temporarily happy than temporarily miserable.
0

Glen’s Answer

0
I would study more, to get into a different course, I work in IT but would like to work in Psychology
0