Skip to main content
1 answer
2
Updated 66 views

What makes a personal statement stand out in a master’s application?

I’m currently researching universities because I’m planning to apply for a master’s, and I’ve reached the point where I need to start working on my personal statement. I’ve read quite a few examples online, but I’m still not completely sure what admissions teams are actually looking for.

One thing I’m struggling with is how much of my personal background to include. I obviously want to explain why I’m interested in the subject and why I’ve chosen the particular program, but I don’t want the statement to simply repeat everything that is already on my CV.

I’m also unsure about how much I should customise the statement for each university. Some advice says to make every application highly specific, while other examples seem fairly general and focus more on academic interests, experience, future goals, and what the applicant hopes to gain from the degree.

So far, I’ve been drafting everything in Google Docs and using Grammarly occasionally to catch wording and grammar issues. I’ve also been reading university application guides and looking at different resources for admission essay support. While researching, I came across a few platform that offer admission essay writing and related support. I’m not looking to simply have someone write my application for me, but I was wondering whether getting professional feedback on structure and presentation is actually worthwhile.

For people who have already applied for a master’s, what did you focus on when writing your personal statement? Did you write completely different statements for each university, or adapt one main draft? And was there anything you initially thought was important to include but later realised wasn’t?


2

1 answer


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Hiram’s Answer

Hi Elias, for Masters application, your CV should work together with your PS. The first shows what you did while the second provides details about why you did those things. This means your PS shouldn't be a repeat of of your CV material in the sense of specific details / descriptions, but it should focus on your motivations, growth, and understanding from your accomplishments and experiences. This means that picking 2–3 important moments instead of including every detail in your CV line would create the most impact. If you had a experience as a lab assistant, your PS could focus on one specific finding, failure, or question that reshaped how you think about the field you're aiming for a career in. Focus on answering "so what" instead of just re-stating facts the reader already has read in your CV.
If your personal background explains motivation or specific qualities the program would value, then you can include it in your CV. Remember that a Master's PS is seen as a professional-trajectory document focused on intellectual/professional development and insights, not personal backstory.
The general structure for an effective PS for any program generally follows: who you are --> the development of your experience --> why this field --> the connection to a particular school/program.
Hope this helps!
0