What type of relationships should I create in college?

Asked Houston, Texas

What relationships should we focus on the most, should we focus on prioritizing relationships with our friends or should we focus on maintaining a strong relationship with our proffesor. #relationships #college

Hi Daniel,

Cassandra's advice is great.  The only thing I would add is that you should consider focusing on the quality of the relationship, more than just who the relationship is with.  The most valuable personal/professional relationships I've formed in my life have a solid foundation of trust.  When individuals have deep trust with each other, a more honest relationship forms.  With honesty, things like feedback and personal/professional guidance can be shared knowing it's coming with good intentions and an understanding of who you are, what goals you have, etc.   I hope that helps!

Nick’s Answer

The types of relationships you should focus on college are ones that are there to support you. In this time, you will be stretched emotionally, spiritually, and academically. You will need people around you to help you through it. You should have people you can go to you trust and will guide you. That can be a professor, student, family member, alumni or classmate. Really think about the person and how you help each other.

Cassandra’s Answer

Updated Jacksonville, North Carolina

Hi Daniel,

I think that is a great question, as relationships are important in our growth in life. I would say to focus on a balance. College can be stressful and you will want to have personal relationships with friends to be able to unwind and have stress-free conversations. Professional relationships will also be very beneficial as you continue to network and seek out new opportunities. Having people in your corner that are professional and personal can also help you when you are needing references for job applications.