What is the best way to obtain volunteer experience?

4

I am a freshman at Cal Poly Pomona majoring in Computer Information Systems. I would like to develop my technical skills but I am not quite sure where to start. Any advice would be helpful, thank you. #volunteer #internship

4

Crystal’s Answer

1
Your search should begin with your schools career placement office as well as your student union organizations. Many company's for profit and non -profit look for college resources to assist with their technology needs. Another option for Volunteer experience can be sought through reaching out or searching local non-profit or political campaigns and organizations.
1

Brandon’s Answer

1
One way to get experience is to join clubs or non-profits and help out with their technical needs like maintaining and developing their web sites or maintaining their back office data. Asking professors for any opportunity to help out in any projects is another avenue.
1

SM’s Answer

0
Looking for intern position or volunteering opportunities is actually quite similar to searching for jobs. To increase your likelihood of getting chosen, I would recommend you start with a research into prospective employers in your interested subject areas and laying out a narrative about why both you and the prospective companies or firms can benefit from the corresponding intern or volunteering opportunities.

The purpose of building such a narrative is to help you focus the search and help the hiring company or firm understand and support your goal. A hiring company or firm is unlikely to offer their positions if a candidate does not know what he or she wants to do or can add value to this engagement. Companies or firms offering intern or volunteering opportunities in general would have open mind for candidates without specific experiences, but certainly would prefer to hire those that are proactive and know what they want to do. The process of constructing such a narrative should help you crystallize the your goals and value propositions.
Thank you very much. This answer has given me a lot to consider and reflect upon in my search for opportunity. Michael T.
0

Rebecca’s Answer

0
Join Rose Float!
0