28
Updated 629 views Translate

What kind of internships should I seek out as a Business-Economics Major?

Hello, I am currently a business-economics major at the University of California-Los Angeles, and I am looking for internships for the upcoming summer. Also looking to minor in accounting. As of now, I'm a bit unsure of what internships I should be looking for as I want to get internships that would hopefully do with my major in the future. However, I'm lost as to what careers or internships are related to my major. If anyone could give some recommendations I would appreciate that extremely.

Thank you comment icon Hey Kim, I would say your study is very flexible. So I think it's very normal that you feel lost, not sure whether will you feel like you have many choices but doubted that whether your major can be accepted? To be honest, the knowledge of economics can be applied in almost every business function (except some very specific one - e.g. R&D). Therefore, I think you need to be honest to yourself in this case, what kind of role or industry will actually excites you? And don't put too much stress to yourself, bear in mind that the purpose of internship is to experience the role, company culture, etc. If you have a company in mind, just go for it. All the best to you, Kimberly! Dennis Ang
Thank you comment icon First step would be to explore resources available through the University (career development and placement office). They would help you with the resume, mock up interviews, create more connections with companies. Second, it is helpful to start as soon as possible. Also, do not restrict yourself to only your major, as you might miss on other opportunities in business. Explore co-ops and interviews via Linked In and direct companies web sites. Start looking as early as September prior to summer you plan on internship. As for paid or non-paid internships, this should not be a main concern, as you want to gain experience and new connections as well as build your resume. Ioulia Miasnikova, MBA

28

4

I majored in econ as well, but I work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms. It has been a great way to use both my econ background and my accounting background. I've stayed with the same firm for my entire career and to this day, I still use the things I learned in Econ. So my recommendation would be for you to get with one of the Big accounting firms and make sure they know that you bring an econ skillset as well as an accounting background. That will differentiate you.
4
2

Samantha’s Answer

Hi Kimberly,

Some of the other answers here suggest looking for internship opportunities at the Big 4 accounting firms and I definitely agree. If you’re even remotely interested in accounting, there’s lots of different groups you can try in tax, audit, and consulting. Additionally, if you decide accounting isn’t your primary interest and that you’d prefer another kind of business or economics related role, there are also plenty of very interesting groups at the Big 4 (particularly in consulting) where no accounting work is required. Some of these other consulting groups include Management Consulting, Technology Consulting, Forensic Consulting, and Deals Consulting. All of these groups could be a good fit for someone with a business or economics background. Another great thing about interning at one of these large Big 4 firms is that it’s often possible to transfer groups if you decide after your internship that you’d rather be in a different group instead. Even as a full time employee, people switch groups all the time, and it’s much easier to try different things without re-recruiting for new full time roles in the market. Starting your career at a Big 4 firm will also provide you with lots of great mentors and support while you figure out your future career plans. Best of luck!

Samantha recommends the following next steps:

Search for Big 4 accounting firm internships
2
1

Cariad’s Answer

Hi Kimberly,
PwC has an interesting free program that can support you as you figure out your next steps.

I think these two ressource might specifically resonate with you:
Career Readiness curriculum- can help understand who you are, focus on where you want to go, and rethink how you approach the career search process
Mentoring program- where you can sign up for a small pod of collegiate peers and PwC professionals focused on building community and supporting you along your career journey.

Check out the website and see if any of it interests you:
https://accessyourpotential.pwc.com

Cariad recommends the following next steps:

Check out the website and see if any of it interests you: https://accessyourpotential.pwc.com
1
1

Eleanor’s Answer

Here's an internship opportunity with Verizon for Finance Operations! It's just been posted:

https://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/7506831-finance-operations-summer-2022-internship?hl=577854

You can also check out what Verizon offers for college students here:

https://www.verizon.com/about/careers/college-students
1
0

Parshva’s Answer

Hi Kimberly. It's great that you're thinking of internships and professional experiences as they are really valuable in the long term. Being a Business-Economics major, you have a plethora of options in front of you, given the broad nature of the majors. You can be looking at banking, consulting, marketing, supply chain and the list goes on. Internships are meant to give you experiences in different fields so you can decide if you want to work in that area long term. First thing I would do is make a list of all your areas of interest, and prioritize the top 3. Following this, I would look at the available opportunities since they vary depending on your year (freshman, sophomore etc.), and focus on applying to those positions.
Another thing I would suggest is to talk to professionals working in your areas of interests to understand the nature of work more clearly and also develop relationships.
The real question is not what opportunities are available, rather what areas are you interested in within the business realm. Hope this helps!
0
0

Rebecca’s Answer

Hi Kimberly, I am glad to hear that you are interested to do internship. Having major in Business and Economics, you have a wide variety of choices of your internship.
Below are a few suggestions :
- Accounting Firms
- Banks
- Financial Institutions, e.g. Funds, Broker Dealers, Private Equities, etc.
- Consultancy
They may put intern recruitment on their career website from time to time. On the other hand, if you have any corporate that you are interested, you can also reach out to them proactively to look for intern opportunities.
Internship is an very good opportunities for you to understand how the real work life and acquire working experience. You can also establish network with people in the industry. If you perform well in the company, they may offer you permanent working opportunity upon your graduation.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
0
0

Chip’s Answer

I was an economics major in college and ultimately went to graduate school to study accounting and finance. The great thing about an economics major is it gives you a very broad base of skills that many employers are looking for. Internships are a great way to get into a company that you interested in and ultimately lead to a full time job at that Company. However, they are also a great way for you to try something and see if you like it. For example, you might be interested in analyzing and sorting data and curious about what a career in data analysis would look like. You could look for an internship at a Big 4 accounting firm in their data analytics teams and use that as an opportunity to learn about the firm and learn what it is like to work in that field. If you enjoy it - great you may have found your calling! If not, that is great too - you may like the firm but want to work in a different area. The experience will be valuable in finding your next role and it will help you focus on other things you could do with an economics major.
0
0

Aastha’s Answer

Hey! I saw your question about finding internships in business and had a few suggestions from my own experience. I first found out what I wanted to intern in by using LinkedIn Learning or free externship courses in business online. This helped me if anything find out what I didn’t like and narrowed it down.

Next I would say reaching out to alumni from your school at firms to ask about their day to day and see if you like it, and apply from there.

0
0

Christian’s Answer

This is a great question to be asking oneself, especially so earlier in college as you start to build a plan into the direction you want to take after graduating. Business can cover a wide array of job opportunities and I would say you're not entirely enclosed to your major when pursuing other job opportunities that may be more technical as well.

To begin I would say think about certain industries that excite you or make you deeply curious about how they work and what they do. This could be areas like consumer goods, or manufacturing, or aviation, and you could look into specific companies within the industry through their websites and or through networking/reaching out to employees. Once you have defined some industries you can start to look at functions within those companies that do work you find again most interesting. Whether it is more marketing related, business operations, strategy, finance, HR, or sales there are many components to a company's makeup.

Beyond this method of following your interest, I would also recommend taking into consideration what you believe your future plans are or how you would want your lifestyle to be. If you enjoy freedom and want to have a good balance of time spent doing other things, some more hour intensive jobs may not be the best fit such as banking. If you want to learn a lot and can't decide on a specific field, there are other jobs where you can get more exposure to a wide array of industries like consulting. If you love technology and products then more technical jobs could require degrees in computer science, but if you follow a minor in computer science it could give you the skills to follow such jobs such as product management.

Take into account what are the things you want out of your career, how much you enjoy the subject, and what you want your lifestyle to be like. It can be a lot to decide on, and don't over stress too much about making the correct decision, you will always be able to adapt and follow new directions. The most important thing is just be willing to try new things, take risks, and learn from every experience.
0
0

Hi Kimberly,
First of all congratulations on getting to this stage of your education. I was in a similar place as you when I was in college. I was a Finance undergrad but really enjoyed the accounting side of my education and using Excel. This may not be a great answer, but I'd say that the exact field that you go into doesn't really matter. I definitely would encourage you to find an industry that you have some interest in what they do. For example, my internship experience was at Comedy Central/MTV Networks where I did Accounting work (journal entries, budget reconciliations, etc). I currently work for a Consumer Products company in their Sales Strategy department and previously worked in Finance. To summarize, I think the key is to find something that you'd be engaged in, and seek something interesting and what you can see/feel/touch. Too often people in Finance/Accounting go to work crunching numbers all day and get burned out from staring at a screen and not being able to see your impact of the important work you're doing.

Hope this helps

-Mike
0
0

Dusty’s Answer

Hi Kimberly.

Congrats on your achievements getting this far! I know the decision on what to do for your career can be a daunting one. I totally appreciate and agree with all of the advice previously given, but I'd go one step further and say to try something that is not necessarily at the top of your list of preferences. If it is at the top of the list, you know enough it to believe you want to do it. Try number 3 on your list for example. You might be pleasantly surprised by something that is a little different. Just a thought, but in the end, the decision has to be what is most comfortable for you. You want to enjoy the work you do, so start with that. Best of luck!!!
0
0

Justin’s Answer

I would approach accounting firms for your internship in order to get some experience in the field. Accounting in the classroom and in the real world can be quite different. With that experience you set your path accordingly to gain your next internship in the economics field (a research firm for example). Hopefully the two experiences will help prepare you for you first full time job.
0
0

Sanjana’s Answer

As a Business Economics major, you have quite a few options for fields to seek an internship in. Whether its roles in finance such as wealth management, trading, treasury, or investment banking, they would be fair options to consider. You can also go for more consulting or strategy kinds of roles. Your major(s) is very versatile which can give you a lot of different options for internship roles.
0
0

Andrew’s Answer

Internships can be very rewarding. It is important to talk to many people and add to your network in order to find internships. Talk to friends and relatives, neighbor. They will often know of someone who you can talk to about internship opportunities. Experience in a financial services company, bank or other business which has a finance or accounting department would give you a broad perspective of how a business operates.
0
0

Matthew’s Answer

Kimberly - Congrats on your successes so far. Economics and Accounting seem like a great major. Internships are a great way to figure out what you like and dislike. I've majored in Business with a concentration in Finance, and have done variety of business internships.
Below are a few categories I've seen
- Accounting (e.g., big 4, boutiques, tax)
- Finance (banks, financial institutions, financial consulting)
- Economic policy
- Marketing
- Supply chain
- Operations
- HR
I've seen Interns come from variety of backgrounds and majors, and truthfully the world is their oyster.

The most important thing I learned was to make connections at each internship, learn as much as I could (be proactive) and leverage each of my experiences and lessons learned into my next internship/role.
0
0

Shruti’s Answer

Hi!

There are many options of internships that you can do as a business and econ major. You can do banking at many different banks which can include things like investment banking and sales and trading. You can also look into marketing, management, supply chain, business analytics, finance, business improvement, and so many other roles. My best advice is that you should apply to everything that relates even a little bit because you will get to learn more about what you are interested in.
0
0

Chris’s Answer

An internship in data insights and data analytics relates to an economics degree since data analytics is not just about pulling data, it's also about interpreting data and providing actionable recommendations on that data. At SAP, we have internships for Data Analyst, click the link for internships at SAP: https://jobs.sap.com/search/?q=internship&optionsFacetsDD_country=US&startrow=25
0
0

Marini’s Answer

Hello Kimberly. There are many career opportunities in business-economics. Some positions include Financial Planner, Financial Analyst, Portfolio Manager, Sales and Trade Analyst, Corporate Financial Analyst, and Investment Analyst.

I would advise that you schedule an appointment with your academic adviser to find internship opportunities. They are a great resource to start with as companies usually reach out to various colleges to find interns. You can perform job searches using the various position titles and adding internship. You can also ask people who work in your desired area if they're aware of any internship opportunities.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
0
0

Sylvia’s Answer

Hi Kimberly, there are abundant internship choices under business/finance, so I think it's more important for you to understand what field interests you the most so then you could do some research on the future career path. You could probably ask yourself which class you were feeling excited to attend, which class you had good performance because that may be your talent, etc. After finding out a few, you need to do some thorough research of what the career is like. It's good to attend the job events held by different companies and you could seek advice from alumni or school advisor. Listen to different opinion is always helpful.
0
0

M’s Answer

Hi Kimberly! I was also a business major! I would suggest that you apply to any internships related to business, don't limit yourself to just economics. Getting the experience on your resume is pretty important when it comes to finding a job. Also, don't be afraid to branch out and reach out to people on LinkedIn, networking is everything. I hope this helped and good luck!
0
0

Abdul Nasir’s Answer

Under business - economics options are enumerable internships with stock companies or actual dealers in the stock market is commendable, different corporations and companies do accept individuals as interns this puts you through the day to day activities of a firm for experience business-wise government agencies too. Having a relative who is active and operates a legal business could teach you a lot too in line with business acuity and standard practices.
0
0

Ariane’s Answer

Hi Kimberly,

One option for an internship for economics is transfer pricing. A "transfer price" is the price at which related parties transact with each other, such as during the trade of supplies or labor between departments." (Investopedia). Public accounting firms hire transfer pricing employees but many companies also have their own in-house transfer pricing. Good luck!
0
0

Deanna’s Answer

Hello Kimberly - It might be a good first step to think about what opportunities you may want to pursue with your career. With an idea that your degree can provide opportunities in business, consulting, finance, and investments - you might want to consider which of these interests you the most. Your professors and advisors might have connections with surrounding companies that might have provided internships. If not, you can reach our to organizations with some key areas of interest. Internships offer a great way for you to see the type of roles and work in the different areas your major can take you. You can try out a consulting firm, a finance internship in a company, or a financial analyst (just to name a few) and see what aspects you like in each one. Many companies start looking for interns in the beginning of the year to ensure they have people locked in for Spring, so starting soon is always a good idea.
0
0

Tommy’s Answer

An economics degree with a minor in accounting is a great general business degree and can serve as the foundation for many different business careers. You could look for an internship in any financial services company, the accounting or treasury department of any company or even accounting or consulting firms. With this foundation, think about what industries interest you as there will be plenty of suitable opportunities.
0
0

Angelique’s Answer

You should ask for guidance from the career office, alumni in that field who are mentoring students, and participate in career fairs. Some of the recommended internships would be with accounting, banking and other financial firms. There are also other types of industries and businesses that may have a financial or accounting department that you may also be interested in. Consult with your career office, alumni and also do your own research to identify those other options if you are looking to use your skill sets to work in non-traditional industries.
0