How is the experience as an obgyn doctor

5

I'm planning to take up obgyn as my pg specialty this year.. I am confused between obgyn and dermatology. I wish to know how hard is the life of an obgyn.. Whether all the stress and hardworking is rewarding or disappointing #medicine #doctor #healthcare #medical

5

Estelle’s Answer

0
You are very wise to consider quality of life when choosing a specialty. I have been practicing gynecology for about 30 years, and I find the field very fulfilling and fun. I truly enjoy performing surgery. The field is stressful but interesting always challenging. I enjoy dividing my time between the office practice and hospital, so I'm always busy. My sister is a dermatologist, and her lifestyle is less stressful. I'm sure you will find your match!
0

Estelle’s Answer

0
0

Fiona’s Answer

0
Hi Minu,
I don't have experience in this field, but you can gain some insight (from humorous first experiences ) in the book "This is Going to Hurt" by Adam Kay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Going_to_Hurt

He details his experience through the NHS in the UK from a junior doctor right up to specialisation and why he chose ObGyn.
0

0
I work closely with many OB Gyn's and most of them are extremely satisfied with their job. They have a long road of training (4 years college +4 years med school + 4 years OB Gyn residency), but they make a huge difference in their patients' lives. They operate and see patients in clinic, and many have significant control over their hours.
0

0
The OB/gyn residency is definitely stressful with long hours and practically no control over your schedule.

However, in practice an OB/gyn can limit their hours and types of patients. They can even stop delivering babies and concentrate on gynecology. This significantly decreases the amount of night call.
0