What do magazine editors do?

I like popular mechanics and I'd love to work at a magazine someday. Seems like editors get respect and are in the movies all the time as the top of the magazine. But what do they REALLY do? What's a day-in-the-life of a magazine editor like?

Thanks in advance editor publishing magazine

3
Pros
3
0

Alwyn’s Answer

John,

On a low-level a rank and file magazine editor improves the writing of others for grammar, syntax, style and punctuation. At a high-level in a magazine hierarchy a magazine editor would set the tone of the magazine, its stylistic point of view, lead its editorial direction, the stories it covers and manage the overall writing, design and production of a magazine. If I left anything out hopefully others will fill in whatever gaps I missed. I hope this is helpful to you.

This was very helpful thank you! Bekemeh A.
1
Students
1
0

Sharool’s Answer

Magazine features editors oversee the content and quality of magazine publications and ensure that features are topical, interesting and informative. They plan the features section of the magazine, supervise writers and set deadlines.
0

Ace’s Answer

Magazine editors are people who are responsible for the fit and finish of the magazine. They normally check for grammar, spelling, sentence structure, etc. They also check for layout, color, and other elements of the pages (like ads placement).

0