Career Questions tagged Editor

Sumaiya A.’s Avatar
Sumaiya A. Jan 27 82 views
Ray K.’s Avatar
Ray K. Oct 14, 2019 109 views

Editors and publishers- what was your major?

I've heard that English is too broad and journalism is dying. Are these true? What did you major in to become an editor or publisher? I intend to major in psychology, but I am looking to dual major or minor in some kind of English. Can I still get a career as a publisher or editor if I just...

#publisher #college-major #major #editor #english

Nasir L.’s Avatar
Nasir L. Dec 12, 2018 178 views
Nasir L.’s Avatar
Nasir L. Dec 12, 2018 147 views
Nasir L.’s Avatar
Nasir L. Dec 12, 2018 131 views
Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018 284 views

How can I know if becoming an editor is right for me?

As a kid, I always wanted to become an author. Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in editing at a publishing company. When friends have given me their writing to look over, I enjoy cleaning up the grammar as well as improving the flow and phrasing. However, since this has been my dream for...

#writing #publishing #career #editor #english

Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018 185 views

What steps should I take to become an editor?

Eventually I want to edit books for a living. Right now I'm a senior in high school. I plan on majoring in English once in college. Where do I go from there? #editor #writing #english...

#literature

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 324 views

What are some worthwhile minors to pair with communications?

I would like to go into editing, and I am interested in something technical as a minor, potentially applied math or computer sciences. However, I simply have no idea as to whether either will be useful in my field of choice. #minors #communications #publishing #career #editor...

#editing

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 201 views

Which universities do major publishing houses recruit from?

Alternately, in what states/regions (besides New York) do publishing houses have a strong presence? In exploring my college options, I either want to set myself up to be at the 'right school' or in a prime location to seek employment as an editor. #publishing #college #recruitment #recruit...

#editing #editor

Madison M.’s Avatar
Madison M. Jan 16, 2018 246 views

Best Way to Become an Editor?

I want to be a novel editor, but my family thinks it's too wild of a career goal and I'll be a "starving artist" simply because I want an English degree. With a major in English and a minor in creative writing, is that a good choice to help me land a job in a publishing company? And does it...

#writing-and-editing #editor #editing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018 393 views

Can you be both a copy editor and a content editor?

Rather than being one or the other, I'm wondering if you can be both. I'm aware that each type of editor has a different skill set; however, I love the idea of doing both types of editing and I wouldn't want to limit myself to one type. Plus, wouldn't the flexibility of being able to do either...

#book #novel #editing #writing #novels #copy-editor #editor #content-editor #content-editing #copy-editing #books #writing-and-editing #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 356 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#editing #writing #novels #editor #writers #author #creative-writing #books #writer #writing-and-editing #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 366 views

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

#interns #editing #writing #novels #editor #novel-writing #copy-editing #books #creative-writing #publishing-company #writing-and-editing #publishing #internships #internship

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 410 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#career-choice #technical-writing #fiction-writing #career-path #screenwriting #genetics #grant-writing #creative-non-fiction #double-major #author #writing-and-editing #fiction #science-fiction #news-writing #writing #dual-career #biomedical-science #editor #career-decisions #english #communications #biomedical-engineering #proposal-writing #copy-editing #creative-writing #publishing #multiple-interests

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018 222 views

What is the best route to becoming an editor for a publishing house?

What classes should I take in college? Where should I apply? How do I apply and is there a healthy demand for editorial jobs? #editor #jobs #publishing #careers...

#english

Ashley H.’s Avatar
Ashley H. Dec 08, 2017 343 views

How does one become a book editor?

I love to read, and I have always thought it would be interesting to be a book editor. What sort of background would one need to become one? How does one become an editor for things like scientific journals? Thank you! #editor #college...

#books

Elizabeth P.’s Avatar
Elizabeth P. Sep 01, 2017 290 views

How much does a editor make?

I was just wondering how much a editor makes a year? #thank you #editor...

#editing

Madison B.’s Avatar
Madison B. Sep 01, 2017 573 views

What does being a book editor entail?

I know I want to be incorporated in the book industry. First I thought about being a writer but now I've moved towards editing. Being able to help the books that move so many people and change peoples lives, come to fruition would be amazing. I would want to focus on fiction novels. What I...

#books #career-opportunity-and-preparation #editor

Deanna R.’s Avatar
Deanna R. May 18, 2016 451 views

What business advice do you have for a student pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing?

I am a writer with little talent for business. The publishing industry is a tough one to find entry into and I'm open to advice. #writing #author #editor #creative-writing #agent...

#published

Zachary R.’s Avatar
Zachary R. May 13, 2016 817 views

What classes should I take to become a writer?

I am a high school senior and I have always been fascinated with writing and how books are so compelling. It is my dream to do what other writers have done and entertain readers with worlds that I create. #college #college-major #journalism #writer...

#editor

Ursula G.’s Avatar
Ursula G. Apr 07, 2017 476 views

How to find summer jobs?

I want to be an Editor and I wanted to get a job as a trainee or second assistant during the summer so I could gain more experience and get to know more people in the industry. But I can't seem to find any job ads in this area. Would it be appropriate to call/e-mail some Post-production houses...

#post-production #video-editing #motion-pictures #summer-jobs #editor

Kayla J.’s Avatar
Kayla J. Aug 16, 2016 1588 views

Would it be better for me to major in Journalism or Mass Communications?

I am asking this question because ever since I was a little girl I always wanted to be a magazine editor; however, lately i have been thinking about pursuing a career in broadcast journalism. Also many people who do end up majoring in Journalism have difficulties finding a job, so would...

#journalism #editing #journalist #magazine #reporter #editor

Samantha K.’s Avatar
Samantha K. May 22, 2016 631 views

I have lots of questions about a career in editing

Throughout my high school career, I've worked as editor of our school's annual literary arts magazine, and I absolutely love it, and it has influenced my desire to pursue editing as a career. I'm looking into editing more broadly in a book editing sense, or in a magazine sense, but I would only...

#journalism #editing #editor #english

Sadie J.’s Avatar
Sadie J. May 20, 2016 431 views

What is the best major to have to become an editor at a well known publishing company?

This would be helpful in deciding what to major in. #editor...

#publishing-company

Sadie J.’s Avatar
Sadie J. May 20, 2016 489 views

What are the best steps to take in becoming an editor?

I want to find a job in editing teen books, so I'd like some advice. #editor #publishing...

#company

Kara G.’s Avatar
Kara G. May 13, 2016 421 views

What is a description of the lifestyle and typical workday for an editor at a publishing company?

I want to be an editor, and would love to learn about what it is like to work as an editor for a publishing company. I am aware that many of the major publishing companies are located in New York City, so I am interested in learning more about life as an editor in New York! #english #editing...

#editor #english-grammar #lifestyle #story-editing #publishing #text-editing

Kara G.’s Avatar
Kara G. May 13, 2016 810 views

What steps does it take to become an editor at a publishing company?

One day I want to work as an editor for a publishing company. I have done some research about participating in summer internships during college, but reflections on personal experience are what I'm looking for. I would like to know the details of becoming an editor for a publishing company,...

#editing #publishing #editor #english-grammar #english

naresh M.’s Avatar
naresh M. May 05, 2016 469 views

i want become a editor