Career Questions tagged Editor

Emmanuel M.’s Avatar
Emmanuel M. Jul 30 117 views

How can a beginner improve their editorial skills?

Would you please tell me who is, if there is such an individual, the world's most renown editor in the world. One that deals with literature, and most preferable blogs and articles in the topics of finance and education. If there's no such thing, would you be kind enough to point me to some...

#july2020 #editor #ceo #worldclass #editorial-writing

Amanda C.’s Avatar
Amanda C. Jul 17 83 views

What professions combine an interest in English and Environmental Studies?

I'm slightly more passionate about English than Environmental Studies because I'm not into STEM-heavy subjects and would prefer to not take STEM classes, so on the ES side I'd prefer something related to Environmental Studies instead of Environmental Science. I enjoy the sustainability part of...

#environmentalstudies #english-grammar #editor #environmentalscience #sustainability #editing #english

Sumaiya A.’s Avatar
Sumaiya A. Jan 27 152 views
Ray K.’s Avatar
Ray K. Oct 14, 2019 165 views

Editors and publishers- what was your major?

I've heard that English is too broad and journalism is dying. Are these true? What did you major in to become an editor or publisher? I intend to major in psychology, but I am looking to dual major or minor in some kind of English. Can I still get a career as a publisher or editor if I just...

#college-major #publisher #editor #major #english

Nasir L.’s Avatar
Nasir L. Dec 12, 2018 192 views
Nasir L.’s Avatar
Nasir L. Dec 12, 2018 229 views
Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018 329 views

How can I know if becoming an editor is right for me?

As a kid, I always wanted to become an author. Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in editing at a publishing company. When friends have given me their writing to look over, I enjoy cleaning up the grammar as well as improving the flow and phrasing. However, since this has been my dream for...

#editor #writing #career #english #publishing

Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018 210 views

What steps should I take to become an editor?

Eventually I want to edit books for a living. Right now I'm a senior in high school. I plan on majoring in English once in college. Where do I go from there? #editor #writing #english...

#literature

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 404 views

What are some worthwhile minors to pair with communications?

I would like to go into editing, and I am interested in something technical as a minor, potentially applied math or computer sciences. However, I simply have no idea as to whether either will be useful in my field of choice. #minors #communications #publishing #career #editor...

#editing

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 248 views

Which universities do major publishing houses recruit from?

Alternately, in what states/regions (besides New York) do publishing houses have a strong presence? In exploring my college options, I either want to set myself up to be at the 'right school' or in a prime location to seek employment as an editor. #publishing #college #recruitment #recruit...

#editing #editor

Madison M.’s Avatar
Madison M. Jan 16, 2018 294 views

Best Way to Become an Editor?

I want to be a novel editor, but my family thinks it's too wild of a career goal and I'll be a "starving artist" simply because I want an English degree. With a major in English and a minor in creative writing, is that a good choice to help me land a job in a publishing company? And does it...

#writing-and-editing #editing #editor

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018 456 views

Can you be both a copy editor and a content editor?

Rather than being one or the other, I'm wondering if you can be both. I'm aware that each type of editor has a different skill set; however, I love the idea of doing both types of editing and I wouldn't want to limit myself to one type. Plus, wouldn't the flexibility of being able to do either...

#writing-and-editing #novels #copy-editing #content-editing #books #content-editor #writing #editing #book #novel #copy-editor #editor #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 432 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#writing-and-editing #novels #books #author #writing #editing #creative-writing #editor #writer #writers #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 435 views

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

#writing-and-editing #novels #publishing-company #copy-editing #novel-writing #books #writing #editing #internships #interns #creative-writing #internship #editor #publishing

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 469 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#biomedical-engineering #double-major #career-path #dual-career #career-decisions #creative-non-fiction #writing #career-choice #news-writing #creative-writing #multiple-interests #fiction-writing #fiction #publishing #writing-and-editing #science-fiction #copy-editing #screenwriting #author #genetics #communications #technical-writing #editor #biomedical-science #proposal-writing #english #grant-writing

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018 271 views

What is the best route to becoming an editor for a publishing house?

What classes should I take in college? Where should I apply? How do I apply and is there a healthy demand for editorial jobs? #editor #jobs #publishing #careers...

#english

Ashley H.’s Avatar
Ashley H. Dec 08, 2017 408 views

How does one become a book editor?

I love to read, and I have always thought it would be interesting to be a book editor. What sort of background would one need to become one? How does one become an editor for things like scientific journals? Thank you! #editor #college...

#books

Elizabeth P.’s Avatar
Elizabeth P. Sep 01, 2017 313 views

How much does a editor make?

I was just wondering how much a editor makes a year? #thank you #editor...

#editing

Madison B.’s Avatar
Madison B. Sep 01, 2017 640 views

What does being a book editor entail?

I know I want to be incorporated in the book industry. First I thought about being a writer but now I've moved towards editing. Being able to help the books that move so many people and change peoples lives, come to fruition would be amazing. I would want to focus on fiction novels. What I...

#career-opportunity-and-preparation #editor #books

Deanna R.’s Avatar
Deanna R. May 18, 2016 486 views

What business advice do you have for a student pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing?

I am a writer with little talent for business. The publishing industry is a tough one to find entry into and I'm open to advice. #writing #author #editor #creative-writing #agent...

#published

Zachary R.’s Avatar
Zachary R. May 13, 2016 949 views

What classes should I take to become a writer?

I am a high school senior and I have always been fascinated with writing and how books are so compelling. It is my dream to do what other writers have done and entertain readers with worlds that I create. #college #college-major #journalism #writer...

#editor

Ursula G.’s Avatar
Ursula G. Apr 07, 2017 510 views

How to find summer jobs?

I want to be an Editor and I wanted to get a job as a trainee or second assistant during the summer so I could gain more experience and get to know more people in the industry. But I can't seem to find any job ads in this area. Would it be appropriate to call/e-mail some Post-production houses...

#video-editing #post-production #editor #summer-jobs #motion-pictures

Kayla J.’s Avatar
Kayla J. Aug 16, 2016 1675 views

Would it be better for me to major in Journalism or Mass Communications?

I am asking this question because ever since I was a little girl I always wanted to be a magazine editor; however, lately i have been thinking about pursuing a career in broadcast journalism. Also many people who do end up majoring in Journalism have difficulties finding a job, so would...

#reporter #journalism #magazine #editor #editing #journalist

Samantha K.’s Avatar
Samantha K. May 22, 2016 673 views

I have lots of questions about a career in editing

Throughout my high school career, I've worked as editor of our school's annual literary arts magazine, and I absolutely love it, and it has influenced my desire to pursue editing as a career. I'm looking into editing more broadly in a book editing sense, or in a magazine sense, but I would only...

#journalism #editing #editor #english

Sadie J.’s Avatar
Sadie J. May 20, 2016 484 views
Sadie J.’s Avatar
Sadie J. May 20, 2016 537 views

What are the best steps to take in becoming an editor?

I want to find a job in editing teen books, so I'd like some advice. #editor #publishing...

#company