Career Questions tagged Creative Writing

Ashley C.’s Avatar
Ashley C. Nov 16 90 views

How do I go about developing a published writing portfolio as a new writer?

If I've never published a book before, what are some good first steps? After all, not all writing now is in books but also short form media, copywriting, articles, etc. I've got a blog I'm updating regularly and I like connecting with my fellow writers. I genuinely both love and hate writing...

#author #writer #writing #florida #creative-writing #journalism #polkcounty

Emily G.’s Avatar
Emily G. Aug 02 52 views

What tips are out there for a new creative writing club?

This upcoming school year, I'll be a senior. I'm trying to build up a creative writing club so I can teach other students and share the same passion. What tips would others like to share of having a good creative writing club? #writing #creative-writing...

#new

Dylan J.’s Avatar
Dylan J. Jul 07 96 views
Lyzzie G.’s Avatar
Lyzzie G. Jun 30 83 views

What are the ways to make good money as a creative writer?

I am going to have an M.F.A. in Creative Writing, and ideally would like to use that degree to get paid to write fiction. #creative-writing #writing...

#author

Emily G.’s Avatar
Emily G. Jun 14 60 views

What should I take most advantage of at my writing summer programs?

I'm going to be taking a Great Books and Creative Writing summer program in a couple of weeks. I've been wondering what are some things that I should absolutely be doing to make sure I take full advantage of these programs? #writing #creative-writing...

#summer

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 08 94 views

Creative Equipment

What is the best tech for writers? I've been told that you need special programs to help fact-check, plaigarize-check, etc. Is this true? And if so, does this tech really help? #writing #creative-writing #author #writer...

#tech

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 14 198 views

Which is better: continuing to work a job you've grown to dislike because it is advantageous for you career-wise, or finding a new job that you genuinely enjoy?

I've always believed that if you pursue a career you love, then you'll never work a day in your life, so I've followed my dreams and have always planned to pursue my passion, even if it might not result in the most high-paying job. This passion is writing. However, throughout the years, I've...

#career #editing #work #career-choice #creative-writing #career-counseling #writing-and-editing #help #student #publishing #writing #career-planning #job #student-advice #career-help #career-path #work-life-balance #following-your-passions #career-advice #college #journalism #advice #technical-writing

Amber K.’s Avatar
Amber K. Aug 29, 2018 164 views

How to write a good personal statement?

Applying for college application is stressful. How to I think of good answers to essay questions? #college...

#creative-writing

Carlos L.’s Avatar
Carlos L. Aug 22, 2018 160 views

I don't know what to write in my college essay

I can't think of anything interesting in my life that'll be beneficial for writing a college essay. #writing...

#creative-writing

Destiny W.’s Avatar
Destiny W. Aug 14, 2018 162 views

What’s the best way to improve on your writing skills ex. Essay

I normally don’t struggle to write, because once I have and idea it all goes fine. I just have trouble coming up with new and exciting things to write about when it comes to personal essays, college essays etc. if you know of any good way to improve my writing as far as vocabulary or formatting...

#author #writing #creative-writing #journalism #general

Hannah N.’s Avatar
Hannah N. Aug 12, 2018 229 views
Cerissa D.’s Avatar
Cerissa D. Aug 10, 2018 174 views

Where do I start looking for jobs when I leave college?

I want to write for Film and TV. #writing #film...

#creative-writing

Jennifer B.’s Avatar
Jennifer B. Jul 12, 2018 248 views

How likely is it that I will want to switch my major?

I'm interested in Early Childhood Education mostly. I'm also interested in Creative Writing and Psychology. #senior #senioritis #nervous #major #double-major #psychology...

#creative-writing

Valerie B.’s Avatar
Valerie B. May 17, 2018 252 views

If I were to pursue a major in creative writing, what kind of job opportunities would that open up?

I'm asking this because I am uncertain of the type of jobs that make a major in creative writing useful. #creative-writing #college-major #college-advice...

#job-search

Valerie B.’s Avatar
Valerie B. May 17, 2018 263 views

Is it really important to study what you want in college or study something that will provide stable financial standings in the long run?

I'm asking this question because I love to write and would adore a major in creative writing however, being a psychologist supplies a solid monetary standing. #psychology #creative-writing #college...

#college-major

Empris D.’s Avatar
Empris D. Jan 24, 2018 213 views

How do I, a young writer, pitch my book to publishers?

I am a writer and I would like to pitch my book of poetry to publishers. Which publishers are most open to publishing new, young writers? #creative-writing #poetry...

#publishing

Arabela R.’s Avatar
Arabela R. Jan 23, 2018 162 views

What advice would you give to someone hoping to enter the creative writing field?

All of my friends refer to me as very creative and I do like to write poems and short stories. Thus, I chose creative writing as a major. I would be fine with any sort of career that involved creating writing. I'm open to any advice at all....

#creative-writing

ajay W.’s Avatar
ajay W. Jan 22, 2018 312 views

i can't decide what career should i go into

I love photography and want to be a photographer when I'm older but I also love writing and consider that. what should I do? #photography #digital-photography #writing...

#creative-writing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 312 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#editing #writing #creative-writing #novels #writing-and-editing #editor #author #writer #books #publishing #writers

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 325 views

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

#editing #internship #writing #publishing-company #creative-writing #writing-and-editing #copy-editing #novels #editor #interns #internships #novel-writing #books #publishing

Kira Q.’s Avatar
Kira Q. Jan 19, 2018 237 views

Would a double major followed by a PhD be too much?

I don't want to spend the rest of my life in school, but I do want to teach at the college level. I'm debating between getting my PhD in history or English/writing. Would it be too much of a hassle to double major and then decide? #double-major #phd #history #writing...

#creative-writing

bianca D.’s Avatar
bianca D. Jan 18, 2018 352 views
Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 385 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#communications #multiple-interests #career-choice #biomedical-science #double-major #career-decisions #english #creative-writing #writing-and-editing #editor #fiction-writing #creative-non-fiction #screenwriting #science-fiction #publishing #genetics #fiction #writing #news-writing #career-path #copy-editing #author #grant-writing #dual-career #proposal-writing #biomedical-engineering #technical-writing

Livvy W.’s Avatar
Livvy W. Jan 16, 2018 255 views

What tips do you have for finding a publishing agent?

Publishing is one of the most important aspects of being an author, and it can be very hard to get your foot in the door. What tips are there for doing so? #writing #creative-writing #creative-arts #creative #publishing...

#publishing-company

Livvy W.’s Avatar
Livvy W. Jan 16, 2018 286 views

What is one of the best ways to combat writers' block?

I want to be an author, but I often find it hard to continue when I'm stuck in a certain part of my story, so I'm wondering what techniques other authors have for combating this issue. #writing, #creative-writing, #creative-arts, #author,...

#writersblock

Cassandra P.’s Avatar
Cassandra P. Jan 10, 2018 339 views

What kind of techniques do you use in your writing while editing?

I have a hard time editing my work and I really want to get over a barrier I put up myself. I know when a part of my story needs help but I can't put my self to change it. I find it heartbreaking. How do you get over that, if you have that problem and how do you organize your thoughts while...

#creative-writing #writing #writing-and-editing

Leah A.’s Avatar
Leah A. Dec 18, 2017 201 views

What good online jobs are there that pay by work hours, not annual contract?

I am now on winter break and want a job but can't drive. I am looking online for jobs that pay according to how much work I do so that I don't have to clock in at certain hours. I am an art student and would prefer to get a leg-in for my future art career but I won't be heartbroken if end up...

#job-search #online #job #online-gaming #creative-writing