Career Questions tagged Author

Emma B.’s Avatar
Emma B. Feb 20

What should I research on journalisim?

I want to know what type of books I should look for. I'm in 4th grade and doing a career project. And the career I am focused on is a Journalist. I don't know what to research and I need some ideas or suggestions for types of books I should get/ read. Make it appropriate for a 10 year old....

#reporting #journalist #books #reading #writing #author #journalism #english

Lyzzie G.’s Avatar
Lyzzie G. Jun 30

What are affordable ways I can become proficient in online self-marketing?

I have a website, but because of my lack of technological know-how, it’s pretty lame. I’m looking for a way to get myself known in the creative writing community. #writing #technology #marketing #self-promotion...

#author

Lyzzie G.’s Avatar
Lyzzie G. Jun 30

What are the ways to make good money as a creative writer?

I am going to have an M.F.A. in Creative Writing, and ideally would like to use that degree to get paid to write fiction. #creative-writing #writing...

#author

Christian S.’s Avatar
Christian S. Apr 16

Debate vs AP Literature and Composition

In my school instead of a Language Arts Class, you can take Debate. Would it be better to be on Debate and the Debate team, or should I stick with a hard class like APLAC? I also have the option of taking college English or Business Communications. What's the option for college applications?...

#any #schedule #higher-education #author #writing #english #military #educator #ap #student #school #high-school #debate #air-force #teacher #college #writer #acting #classes

paola M.’s Avatar
paola M. Apr 17

What are some steps in becoming a successful writer? What should I major in?

I would like to be a writer some day and I would like to know how to get my writing out there, how to be noticed. I will be going to college next year in the fall and I was thinking or majoring in English literature. Would that be a good major? #writing #college #author #college-major #books...

#literarture #english

Paola M.’s Avatar
Paola M. Apr 16

What is the best way to become a writer?

I love to read and write and I wouldn't mind working in a field that involves that such as publishing and editing. But I would like to write my own books or be a writer in a some type of magazine. What would be the best way to get my writing noticed and successful? I would like to major in...

#books #columnist #writing #author #literature #english

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 08

Creative Equipment

What is the best tech for writers? I've been told that you need special programs to help fact-check, plaigarize-check, etc. Is this true? And if so, does this tech really help? #writing #creative-writing #author #writer...

#tech

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 05

Self Publish or Pitch?

I've heard it both ways: pitch your book. Self-publish. Which is better to do first? Publishers have declared they like unknowns, while others want authors with a following already? Which path is more lucrative and advisable for a young author just starting out? #write #writer #youngauthor...

#author #writing #selfpublish #teenauthor #publishing

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 05

What is YA?

I am a teenager who enjoys writing, but I often find myself frustrated by the books on the YA shelf as the majority of them seem to be only romance or a romance with thinly veiled fantasy/dystopian elements thrown on top of it. I enjoy writing whatever I want, but I'm wondering if my historical...

#teenauthor #youngadult #writer #write #writing #author #ya

Crystal E.’s Avatar
Crystal E. Nov 27, 2018

What would be the best college classes to take to become a writer/editor?

I am a Freshman in High School who has always had a passion for writing. I have taken to writing stories online as posting them on sites such as FanFiction.Net and Quotev.Com. Does anyone have any suggestions or even just advice. #writing #college #author...

#writer

Margaret Ann B.’s Avatar
Margaret Ann B. Aug 15, 2018

What are some good publications to submit your writing to?

I am very interested in writing, mostly involving fiction. Would you have any recommendations for a publication that I could send my work too to get started? Thank you! #career...

#author

Destiny W.’s Avatar
Destiny W. Aug 14, 2018

What’s the best way to improve on your writing skills ex. Essay

I normally don’t struggle to write, because once I have and idea it all goes fine. I just have trouble coming up with new and exciting things to write about when it comes to personal essays, college essays etc. if you know of any good way to improve my writing as far as vocabulary or formatting...

#general #creative-writing #author #writing #journalism

Hannah N.’s Avatar
Hannah N. Aug 12, 2018
Gabriel S.’s Avatar
Gabriel S. May 28, 2018

Do you have any advice for a student who wants to be a novelist?

I will be attending NYU this fall and majoring in English and I hope to be a novelist in the future. #english #writing #novelist #fiction #writer...

#author

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Jul 23, 2018

How Do I Sell Books in More Than One Genre?

As a young writer, I'm told all the time that I have to stick to one genre and one genre only. The problem is I like all genres and have written in all genres and formats. I write whatever I want, but I'm told that no one will publish me unless I allow myself to get stuck into a niche/specialty...

#writing #author #publishing #literature

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Jul 23, 2018

How Do I Break Into the Screenwriting Industry?

How do I get into writing for film? Is it easier than writing literature or is it harder? I don't want to be famous, just write things. Which is an easier field to get into or what is the significant difference that could affect my choice about which writing industry to go into? #writing #film...

#author #literature #writer

Sara L.’s Avatar
Sara L. May 24, 2018

How can I get myself on track with writing and publishing a book?

I've always wanted to be a published author. I've been writing since I was little, and now I need to get serious. How do I get organized? I don't even know where to begin. I'm beginning my final year of undergrad and have plans to go to graduate school. #college #student #author...

#writing #studentwriter #gettingpublished #college-student

Lane J.’s Avatar
Lane J. Jan 10, 2018

What is a year in the life of an author like?

I really want to know what progress is like as an author in the real world, and if there is any struggles or problems, and what it's like to pick certain genres (or not). I'd also like to know when are the most enjoyable/satisfying times of an author's career. #author #writing #progress...

#writing-and-editing #publishing #writer

Christina S.’s Avatar
Christina S. Mar 06, 2018

What are the benefits of being self published versus going with a publisher?

#publications #self-publishing #publisher #publishing #author I've been working on a novel for a long time, and it's currently in the stages of editing. I feel like I bit of an advantage on other authors by being a high school senior when I'm published, since I know I need all the help I can...

Kelsey E.’s Avatar
Kelsey E. Jan 22, 2018

How can you make a living off of being a writer? How do you become an established writer?

I've loved writing since the second grade and it has always been my dream goal to be a writer. However, since I know writing is not an easy career path to go down, I tend to lose inspiration for writing. I have other options in my mind, but if I want to stick with writing, I feel I need to know...

#write #writing #author #screenwriting

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#books #writers #editor #creative-writing #writing #writing-and-editing #editing #author #novels #writer #publishing

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#proposal-writing #creative-writing #writing #biomedical-engineering #author #copy-editing #science-fiction #english #technical-writing #publishing #grant-writing #creative-non-fiction #editor #career-choice #news-writing #dual-career #writing-and-editing #career-decisions #screenwriting #genetics #multiple-interests #fiction #biomedical-science #communications #fiction-writing #career-path #double-major

Livvy W.’s Avatar
Livvy W. Jan 16, 2018

What is one of the best ways to combat writers' block?

I want to be an author, but I often find it hard to continue when I'm stuck in a certain part of my story, so I'm wondering what techniques other authors have for combating this issue. #writing, #creative-writing, #creative-arts, #author,...

#writersblock

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018

How to become a published author

Aside from self-publishing, what is the best ways to get recognized by well known publishing houses and in turn be published by them? #author #publishing #writing...

#help

Morissa J.’s Avatar
Morissa J. Jan 14, 2018

What can I do with an English degree?

I don't really want to be a teacher, per se. I love writing and would like to be an author, but how else could I use this degree? #english #author #teachers...

#english-degree

W. C. Y.’s Avatar
W. C. Y. Mar 24, 2017

Is there any suggestions if I hope to become a writer?

What can I do to improve my writing skill? I understand that I would need to read and write more but is there any other methods which would help me to become a better writer? #writer #writing #author #english #english-literature #books #personal-development...

#career-details

Christi  W.’s Avatar
Christi W. May 15, 2017

What kind of permits would I have to get to own my own bookstore?

I have a great interest with books and I want to either own my own bookstore or become an author. #author #bookkeeping #bookstoreowner...

#career-details