Career Questions tagged Author

Ashley C.’s Avatar
Ashley C. Nov 16 52 views

How do I go about developing a published writing portfolio as a new writer?

If I've never published a book before, what are some good first steps? After all, not all writing now is in books but also short form media, copywriting, articles, etc. I've got a blog I'm updating regularly and I like connecting with my fellow writers. I genuinely both love and hate writing...

#journalism #creative-writing #author #writer #polkcounty #writing #florida

alexis C.’s Avatar
alexis C. Nov 14 23 views

what classes should i take in high school to help me become a lawyer

i like arguing, money, and i play volleyball and soccer. i take two ap classes ap government and english i’m also good at math. i don’t do well in science but i’m really good at art and drawing. #college #art #writing #dance...

#author

Ray K.’s Avatar
Ray K. Oct 13 38 views

How can I become a journalist/author/writer for psychology research?

I am a high school senior with a passion for psychology and a knack for writing. I am looking to major in psychology. Should I minor or dual major in English, or another field? What else do I need to pursue in order to accomplish this? #psychology #college-major #english #research-psychology...

#writing #journalism #author

Emma B.’s Avatar
Emma B. Feb 20 89 views

What should I research on journalisim?

I want to know what type of books I should look for. I'm in 4th grade and doing a career project. And the career I am focused on is a Journalist. I don't know what to research and I need some ideas or suggestions for types of books I should get/ read. Make it appropriate for a 10 year old....

#english #author #reading #writing #reporting #journalism #journalist #books

Lyzzie G.’s Avatar
Lyzzie G. Jun 30 253 views

What are affordable ways I can become proficient in online self-marketing?

I have a website, but because of my lack of technological know-how, it’s pretty lame. I’m looking for a way to get myself known in the creative writing community. #writing #technology #marketing #self-promotion...

#author

Lyzzie G.’s Avatar
Lyzzie G. Jun 30 77 views

What are the ways to make good money as a creative writer?

I am going to have an M.F.A. in Creative Writing, and ideally would like to use that degree to get paid to write fiction. #creative-writing #writing...

#author

Christian S.’s Avatar
Christian S. Apr 16 144 views

Debate vs AP Literature and Composition

In my school instead of a Language Arts Class, you can take Debate. Would it be better to be on Debate and the Debate team, or should I stick with a hard class like APLAC? I also have the option of taking college English or Business Communications. What's the option for college applications?...

#english #high-school #debate #writing #teacher #writer #college #student #educator #school #military #author #any #classes #schedule #higher-education #acting #air-force #ap

paola M.’s Avatar
paola M. Apr 17 100 views

What are some steps in becoming a successful writer? What should I major in?

I would like to be a writer some day and I would like to know how to get my writing out there, how to be noticed. I will be going to college next year in the fall and I was thinking or majoring in English literature. Would that be a good major? #writing #college #author #college-major #books...

#english #literarture

Paola M.’s Avatar
Paola M. Apr 16 109 views

What is the best way to become a writer?

I love to read and write and I wouldn't mind working in a field that involves that such as publishing and editing. But I would like to write my own books or be a writer in a some type of magazine. What would be the best way to get my writing noticed and successful? I would like to major in...

#english #author #literature #writing #books #columnist

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 08 89 views

Creative Equipment

What is the best tech for writers? I've been told that you need special programs to help fact-check, plaigarize-check, etc. Is this true? And if so, does this tech really help? #writing #creative-writing #author #writer...

#tech

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 05 102 views

Self Publish or Pitch?

I've heard it both ways: pitch your book. Self-publish. Which is better to do first? Publishers have declared they like unknowns, while others want authors with a following already? Which path is more lucrative and advisable for a young author just starting out? #write #writer #youngauthor...

#author #writing #selfpublish #publishing #teenauthor

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 05 77 views

What is YA?

I am a teenager who enjoys writing, but I often find myself frustrated by the books on the YA shelf as the majority of them seem to be only romance or a romance with thinly veiled fantasy/dystopian elements thrown on top of it. I enjoy writing whatever I want, but I'm wondering if my historical...

#ya #writer #author #youngadult #write #writing #teenauthor

Crystal E.’s Avatar
Crystal E. Nov 27, 2018 210 views

What would be the best college classes to take to become a writer/editor?

I am a Freshman in High School who has always had a passion for writing. I have taken to writing stories online as posting them on sites such as FanFiction.Net and Quotev.Com. Does anyone have any suggestions or even just advice. #writing #college #author...

#writer

Margaret Ann B.’s Avatar
Margaret Ann B. Aug 15, 2018 182 views

What are some good publications to submit your writing to?

I am very interested in writing, mostly involving fiction. Would you have any recommendations for a publication that I could send my work too to get started? Thank you! #career...

#author

Destiny W.’s Avatar
Destiny W. Aug 14, 2018 157 views

What’s the best way to improve on your writing skills ex. Essay

I normally don’t struggle to write, because once I have and idea it all goes fine. I just have trouble coming up with new and exciting things to write about when it comes to personal essays, college essays etc. if you know of any good way to improve my writing as far as vocabulary or formatting...

#general #journalism #creative-writing #author #writing

Hannah N.’s Avatar
Hannah N. Aug 12, 2018 219 views
Gabriel S.’s Avatar
Gabriel S. May 28, 2018 206 views

Do you have any advice for a student who wants to be a novelist?

I will be attending NYU this fall and majoring in English and I hope to be a novelist in the future. #english #writing #novelist #fiction #writer...

#author

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Jul 23, 2018 215 views

How Do I Sell Books in More Than One Genre?

As a young writer, I'm told all the time that I have to stick to one genre and one genre only. The problem is I like all genres and have written in all genres and formats. I write whatever I want, but I'm told that no one will publish me unless I allow myself to get stuck into a niche/specialty...

#writing #publishing #author #literature

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Jul 23, 2018 184 views

How Do I Break Into the Screenwriting Industry?

How do I get into writing for film? Is it easier than writing literature or is it harder? I don't want to be famous, just write things. Which is an easier field to get into or what is the significant difference that could affect my choice about which writing industry to go into? #writing #film...

#writer #author #literature

Emily A.’s Avatar
Emily A. Jun 27, 2018 187 views
Sara L.’s Avatar
Sara L. May 24, 2018 296 views

How can I get myself on track with writing and publishing a book?

I've always wanted to be a published author. I've been writing since I was little, and now I need to get serious. How do I get organized? I don't even know where to begin. I'm beginning my final year of undergrad and have plans to go to graduate school. #college #student #author...

#writing #gettingpublished #college-student #studentwriter

Lane J.’s Avatar
Lane J. Jan 10, 2018 218 views

What is a year in the life of an author like?

I really want to know what progress is like as an author in the real world, and if there is any struggles or problems, and what it's like to pick certain genres (or not). I'd also like to know when are the most enjoyable/satisfying times of an author's career. #author #writing #progress...

#publishing #writer #writing-and-editing

Christina S.’s Avatar
Christina S. Mar 06, 2018 213 views

What are the benefits of being self published versus going with a publisher?

#publications #self-publishing #publisher #publishing #author I've been working on a novel for a long time, and it's currently in the stages of editing. I feel like I bit of an advantage on other authors by being a high school senior when I'm published, since I know I need all the help I can...

Kelsey E.’s Avatar
Kelsey E. Jan 22, 2018 281 views

How can you make a living off of being a writer? How do you become an established writer?

I've loved writing since the second grade and it has always been my dream goal to be a writer. However, since I know writing is not an easy career path to go down, I tend to lose inspiration for writing. I have other options in my mind, but if I want to stick with writing, I feel I need to know...

#writing #screenwriting #author #write

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 309 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#creative-writing #editing #writing-and-editing #author #writers #writing #novels #writer #editor #publishing #books

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 381 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#communications #english #screenwriting #creative-non-fiction #writing-and-editing #fiction-writing #writing #career-decisions #news-writing #grant-writing #copy-editing #biomedical-science #career-path #dual-career #publishing #editor #technical-writing #science-fiction #biomedical-engineering #author #creative-writing #genetics #proposal-writing #career-choice #fiction #multiple-interests #double-major

Livvy W.’s Avatar
Livvy W. Jan 16, 2018 278 views

What is one of the best ways to combat writers' block?

I want to be an author, but I often find it hard to continue when I'm stuck in a certain part of my story, so I'm wondering what techniques other authors have for combating this issue. #writing, #creative-writing, #creative-arts, #author,...

#writersblock

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018 218 views

How to become a published author

Aside from self-publishing, what is the best ways to get recognized by well known publishing houses and in turn be published by them? #author #publishing #writing...

#help