Career Questions tagged Books

Emma B.’s Avatar
Emma B. Feb 20

What should I research on journalisim?

I want to know what type of books I should look for. I'm in 4th grade and doing a career project. And the career I am focused on is a Journalist. I don't know what to research and I need some ideas or suggestions for types of books I should get/ read. Make it appropriate for a 10 year old....

#reporting #journalism #english #books #journalist #writing #reading #author

paola M.’s Avatar
paola M. Apr 17

What are some steps in becoming a successful writer? What should I major in?

I would like to be a writer some day and I would like to know how to get my writing out there, how to be noticed. I will be going to college next year in the fall and I was thinking or majoring in English literature. Would that be a good major? #writing #college #author #college-major #books...

#literarture #english

Paola M.’s Avatar
Paola M. Apr 16

What is the best way to become a writer?

I love to read and write and I wouldn't mind working in a field that involves that such as publishing and editing. But I would like to write my own books or be a writer in a some type of magazine. What would be the best way to get my writing noticed and successful? I would like to major in...

#columnist #writing #literature #books #english #author

Kathryn T.’s Avatar
Kathryn T. Apr 05, 2018

I'm looking to open a bookshop- how might I go about doing that?

Focus would mainly be on YA/NA books (both fiction and nonfiction). #books #bookshop #small-business...

#entrepreneur

Beverley S.’s Avatar
Beverley S. May 31, 2018

I self published a book. What's next?

I've sold a decent number of copies of my novel, When the Clouds Break, but I don't know how to expand my audience without spending tons of money. Any advice would be appreciated. #books #writing #advertisement...

#publication

Anna D.’s Avatar
Anna D. Mar 27, 2018

How do you get a publisher to look at your book?

I would love to become a published author (think fiction novels), but I do not know what is the right way to get a company to look at my work without hiring an agent. Is the key in your cover letter? If so, how do you write one? Thanks! #writer #books #english-literature...

#writing

Andie S.’s Avatar
Andie S. Mar 28, 2018

What is the best/most affordable way to pay for college text books?

Is it worth the risk to buy a cheaper, but more outdated version of a book or do I take the safe route and spend the extra money for the requested book?...

#books

Elaysha W.’s Avatar
Elaysha W. Mar 15, 2018

What are the best resources for someone interested in book preservation?

I want to work in book preservation and I'm just not sure what resources are available. #books #preservation #conservation #library...

#special-collections

Shalini S.’s Avatar
Shalini S. Jan 24, 2018
Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018

Tips for surviving bad classes and/or horrible teachers?

I'm open to answers from both fellow students and former students for this question! I'm currently taking a literature class, and I absolutely love it, but that's in regards to all the novels on our reading syllabus being outstanding reads and my own innate passion for literature. When it comes...

#surviving-high-school #classes #essays #english #student-advice #book #high-school-classes #novel #writing #essay #advice #reading #academic-english #bad-teachers #student #survival #tips #literature #novels #books #english-literature #class #bad-classes #help

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018

Can you be both a copy editor and a content editor?

Rather than being one or the other, I'm wondering if you can be both. I'm aware that each type of editor has a different skill set; however, I love the idea of doing both types of editing and I wouldn't want to limit myself to one type. Plus, wouldn't the flexibility of being able to do either...

#editor #content-editor #editing #copy-editing #book #novels #books #content-editing #novel #writing #copy-editor #writing-and-editing #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#writers #editor #editing #novels #books #author #creative-writing #writing #writer #writing-and-editing #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

#interns #editor #editing #copy-editing #novels #books #internships #publishing-company #creative-writing #writing #novel-writing #internship #writing-and-editing #publishing

Jasmine B.’s Avatar
Jasmine B. Jan 19, 2018

How do I get into publishing?

I'm aware that it requires some level of internships but I'm not aware of the amount. Where should I intern? When? How do I acquire an internship? #publishing #interships #english #magazines...

#books

Devetra C.’s Avatar
Devetra C. Dec 11, 2017

It there any websites/books that can help me in Economics 2?

I want to get a head start in before I start my next semester. #economics #books #college...

#career

Ashley H.’s Avatar
Ashley H. Dec 08, 2017

How does one become a book editor?

I love to read, and I have always thought it would be interesting to be a book editor. What sort of background would one need to become one? How does one become an editor for things like scientific journals? Thank you! #editor #college...

#books

Maria T.’s Avatar
Maria T. Mar 12, 2017

What is the 1 book you would suggest everyone reads in their lifetime?

I'm making it a personal goal to read for 30 minutes daily again, and am looking for some quality material. Anything related to science, technology, or woman's history are very interesting to me. #college #engineering #science #technology #tech #women-in-tech #reading #women-in-engineering...

#books

Madison B.’s Avatar
Madison B. Sep 01, 2017

What does being a book editor entail?

I know I want to be incorporated in the book industry. First I thought about being a writer but now I've moved towards editing. Being able to help the books that move so many people and change peoples lives, come to fruition would be amazing. I would want to focus on fiction novels. What I...

#career-opportunity-and-preparation #editor #books

W. C. Y.’s Avatar
W. C. Y. Mar 24, 2017

Is there any suggestions if I hope to become a writer?

What can I do to improve my writing skill? I understand that I would need to read and write more but is there any other methods which would help me to become a better writer? #writer #writing #author #english #english-literature #books #personal-development...

#career-details

Brier C.’s Avatar
Brier C. Mar 12, 2017

How does one get their book published?

I want to be a writer, so naturally I want a novel published some day. However, I have no idea how to even start looking into publishing. #writing #books...

#novels

Maria D.’s Avatar
Maria D. Mar 08, 2017

How can I become a writer with out being afraid?

I am currently a sophomore in high school and I wanna publish a manuscript but I am afraid of what will happen Can you guys give me any advice? #writing #author...

#books

Matthew W.’s Avatar
Matthew W. Jul 12, 2016

Action drives us to push our limits and to grow. What are a couple things that I can take action on today to challenge myself and grow?

More of a philosophy question :) There are so many quotes about this concept "action": “Never complain, never explain, just let your actions speak for themselves.” – Benjamin Disraeli “The Superior man is modest in speech but exceeds in his actions.” – Confucius “There are no statues built to...

#personal-development #philosophy #leadership #growth #business #books

Hero D.’s Avatar
Hero D. Jul 04, 2016

Whats the best way to study?

I like studying a lot, Text books, e-books, but I am not always able to get the right position to study. Sometimes through listening to music, but the problem is I don't always remember what I study when I don't remember the music I was listening to. #teaching #teacher #education #music #school...

#library #studying #books #student

Matthew W.’s Avatar
Matthew W. Jun 29, 2016

As an aspiring leader and entrepreneur, what are three books I must read?

I am 19 years old at university. This summer I've immersed myself in a variety of texts ranging from philosophy to leadership advice. I still am, however, looking for that one book to spark a certain inspiration. If you have any book recommendations, I would love to hear it. #entrepreneurship...

#books #philosophy #leadership #recommendation #reading

Megan J.’s Avatar
Megan J. May 24, 2016

What’s the latest and greatest book you’ve read related to mental health, psychology or psychotherapy?

I am always looking for more educational material to read and learn from. These topics in particular are what I am interested in going into as far as careers go. #psychology #career-advice #mental-health #psychotherapy...

#books

Emily K.’s Avatar
Emily K. May 18, 2016

How difficult is it to find a job in publishing that allows you to afford the cost of living in New York?

I have always wanted to be an editor, however my concern now is in being capable of comfortably supporting myself. This newfound concern has led me to question whether my choice path will be realistic enough to pursue. #writing #editing #books #publishing #magazines #new-york...

#newspapers

Divya J.’s Avatar
Divya J. May 03, 2016

i have more ability to teacher its true

because i like my teacher #teach #books...

#ticket-sales