Career Questions tagged Writing And Editing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 14, 2019 530 views

Which is better: continuing to work a job you've grown to dislike because it is advantageous for you career-wise, or finding a new job that you genuinely enjoy?

I've always believed that if you pursue a career you love, then you'll never work a day in your life, so I've followed my dreams and have always planned to pursue my passion, even if it might not result in the most high-paying job. This passion is writing. However, throughout the years, I've...

career-advice student-advice advice career-path creative-writing career-choice publishing career career-counseling following-your-passions college job work editing career-help career-planning writing journalism work-life-balance help writing-and-editing technical-writing student

Noah R.’s Avatar
Noah R. Jan 17, 2018 367 views

How can I become a sports writer or sports commentator?

Because I know alot about NFL PAC12 and I really enjoy learning about it and reading about it espn .sports sports-writing writing...

writing-and-editing

Madison M.’s Avatar
Madison M. Jan 16, 2018 409 views

Best Way to Become an Editor?

I want to be a novel editor, but my family thinks it's too wild of a career goal and I'll be a "starving artist" simply because I want an English degree. With a major in English and a minor in creative writing, is that a good choice to help me land a job in a publishing company? And does it...

editor editing writing-and-editing

Nicole M.’s Avatar
Nicole M. Jan 16, 2018 461 views

How can I begin building a writing portfolio for future jobs and internships I would like to apply to?

I am currently a Writing and Journalism major and am unsure as to how to begin building a portfolio for the future. I would like to know how I would begin a process like this and if there's a way I can show my own legitimate writing to professionals when I am still a student. writing...

portfolio writing-and-editing professional-writing journalism

Neateshia W.’s Avatar
Neateshia W. Jan 16, 2018 404 views

I am not good at writing papers at all. What are some recommendations for me to be more successful and reasearching and constructing a good essay paper?

I am going back to school after 12 Years. English and writing have never been my strong areas. I want to do more than just pass this class, but also reasearch and construct successful work. If there is any tips, pointers, or advice that can be given. Please, I am all ears. english essay...

writing-and-editing writing

Allison S.’s Avatar
Allison S. Jan 15, 2018 386 views

Is a career in journalism rewarding?

I am a high school junior and I am still trying to decide on a career choice. I have been researching 📓 ism but I have to say the pay is not very encouraging. One source has beginning salary at $30,000. journalism writing...

writing-and-editing

Talina H.’s Avatar
Talina H. Jan 13, 2018 316 views

Since I want to become a journalist and I’m already writing stories to contribute to my schools newspaper/website what other classes should I take to help me become a successful journalist?

I want to become an excellent journalist in the future and I want to know what kind of classes I should take that would help me in collage and In the far future. journalism writing...

writing-and-editing

Quin F.’s Avatar
Quin F. Jan 10, 2018 321 views

What are some good online journals for up-and-coming journalists?

I'm a freshman in high school and I'm very passionate about a career in writing. I write a lot of poetry but have been dabbling for creative non-fiction and have 4 more years to figure out my exact style. journalism online-journalism writing...

writing-and-editing

Lane J.’s Avatar
Lane J. Jan 10, 2018 390 views

What is a year in the life of an author like?

I really want to know what progress is like as an author in the real world, and if there is any struggles or problems, and what it's like to pick certain genres (or not). I'd also like to know when are the most enjoyable/satisfying times of an author's career. author writing progress...

writer writing-and-editing publishing

W. C. Y.’s Avatar
W. C. Y. Mar 24, 2017 787 views

Question on deciding my career path

For me, I have been thinking of being a writer/ jobs related to media, is it better for me to work on the field that are related to these fields? Or will it be a better choice for me to try out different industries like business before graduating from university? undecided writing...

college writing-and-editing business media career-counseling

Bryce S.’s Avatar
Bryce S. Mar 24, 2018 608 views

For college application essays, is content or structure and formatting more important?

Many applications give you options on essays. Some choices seem ideal with my writing style that I could write them with good formatting, but other topics I feel as if the content I put into it would help me stand out, but may not be quite as structured. #essays writing writing-and-editing...

university-applications college-applications

Margaret S.’s Avatar
Margaret S. Mar 27, 2018 476 views

How can I make myself stand out through writing?

I am going into journalism and I want to stand out against my mostly male peers. writing journalism...

writing-and-editing

Hannah S.’s Avatar
Hannah S. Mar 26, 2018 521 views

Which careers should I look into?

My interests include linguistics, english, writing, editing, and psychology. Additionally, I really enjoy learning new things and researching. I also enjoy explaining things to others and tutoring. Are there any careers out there that might suit these interests? linguistics english...

teaching writing-and-editing research

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018 1259 views

Can you be both a copy editor and a content editor?

Rather than being one or the other, I'm wondering if you can be both. I'm aware that each type of editor has a different skill set; however, I love the idea of doing both types of editing and I wouldn't want to limit myself to one type. Plus, wouldn't the flexibility of being able to do either...

copy-editing novel copy-editor editing content-editing content-editor writing-and-editing writing books book publishing editor novels

Mary R.’s Avatar
Mary R. Jan 22, 2018 436 views

What is involved in becoming a freelance editor?

I love writing, and I enjoy helping others make their writing better as well, so when I heard a talk on freelance editing, I thought "This sounds like something I could do!" However, although I feel confident that I could do the actual editing part, I don't know much about how I would get...

writing-and-editing writing editing freelance

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 616 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

writer editing author writing-and-editing writing books creative-writing writers publishing editor novels

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 586 views

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

copy-editing editing internships interns writing-and-editing writing books creative-writing internship publishing novel-writing editor publishing-company novels

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 606 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

genetics career-decisions career-path creative-writing career-choice publishing biomedical-engineering science-fiction english proposal-writing fiction-writing biomedical-science copy-editing author writing-and-editing writing double-major news-writing communications creative-non-fiction grant-writing multiple-interests technical-writing fiction editor dual-career screenwriting

Cassandra P.’s Avatar
Cassandra P. Jan 10, 2018 618 views

What kind of techniques do you use in your writing while editing?

I have a hard time editing my work and I really want to get over a barrier I put up myself. I know when a part of my story needs help but I can't put my self to change it. I find it heartbreaking. How do you get over that, if you have that problem and how do you organize your thoughts while...

creative-writing writing-and-editing writing

Elizabeth P.’s Avatar
Elizabeth P. Aug 30, 2017 508 views

What can you tell me about a writing career?

Is there anything you can tell me on the subject of having a writing career? If there's any advise you can give me to become a fiction writer. Any advise would be helpful Thank you very much journalism online-journalism writing...

writing-and-editing

Elizabeth P.’s Avatar
Elizabeth P. Aug 31, 2017 551 views

What should I do finally get this this finished?

I want to be a writer, but I can never seem to finish the story I want to make. Mainly because I keep restarting, get stuck on a part, or something else. listening to any advise. writing creative-writing storytelling writing-and-editing writer...

thank-you

Claire N.’s Avatar
Claire N. Oct 07, 2017 659 views

What is the best way to get into the publishing industry?

I would love to eventually be an editor, but I don't know how to get my foot in the door! editing writing-and-editing...

publishing

Astrud B.’s Avatar
Astrud B. Sep 01, 2017 1156 views

Is it better to get good grades or to make connections?

Hi, there! I'm curious as to how to succeed in school, and I'd love to know what my priorities should be. A lot of people have told me that connections are the best resource we get from college, and that it's what most helps with our aspirations. I'm hoping to become a photojournalist,...

online-media writer online-journalism journalism writing-and-editing broadcast-television networking broadcast-media photojournalism

Elizabeth P.’s Avatar
Elizabeth P. Aug 30, 2017 748 views

How should I improve my writing?

What can I do to improve my writing. And also come up some interesting ideas for story? journalism Thank-you writing...

writing-and-editing

Elizabeth P.’s Avatar
Elizabeth P. Aug 30, 2017 617 views

What may help with getting an internship in publishing or editing?

I'm going to college for a English degree and I want to get an internship at the end of my two years. The internship, I would like it to deal with publishing and editing. Yep publishing...

writing-and-editing