Career Questions tagged English

English, like communications, is a staple in every career and school. Someone wanting to pursue a career for English majors can look to technical writing, librarians, lawyers, and a lot...

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Aug 26

Can I succeed in business? How can I pick a career that properly suits my interests?

Hello, I'm currently a second-year college student, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my future. I'm currently majoring in English, but I've been debating whether to add business as a second major due to my interest in what I perceive as business-related fields. The only...

#choosing-a-major #job-experience #student-advice #major #career-advice #english #business-field #business-degree #student #job #college-major #business #career #publishing #work-experience #help #career-help #english-degree #advice #business-major #career-coach #education #english-major #career-counseling #career-planning #work #career-path

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Aug 26

Can an English major work in business-related jobs?

As my question says, I'm wondering how successful an English major would be at working in business-related jobs. For example, I'm really interested in the publishing industry. Can you find success working in the publishing industry with only an English degree, or would you recommend...

#choosing-a-major #job-experience #student-advice #major #career-advice #english #business-field #business-degree #student #job #college-major #business #career #publishing #work-experience #help #career-help #english-degree #advice #business-major #education #english-major #career-counseling #career-planning #work #career-path

Emma B.’s Avatar
Emma B. Feb 20

What should I research on journalisim?

I want to know what type of books I should look for. I'm in 4th grade and doing a career project. And the career I am focused on is a Journalist. I don't know what to research and I need some ideas or suggestions for types of books I should get/ read. Make it appropriate for a 10 year old....

#reporting #journalist #books #reading #writing #author #journalism #english

Stephanie R.’s Avatar
Stephanie R. May 10

What’s the best career option for me?

I’m going to get a degree in English. I’ve had a passion for writing for as long as I can remember. Ideally, I’d like to find a nice writing job that’d be perfect for a very shy, quiet introvert like myself—in other words, a writing job with minimal interaction with others. I understand if this...

#english

Christian S.’s Avatar
Christian S. Apr 16

Debate vs AP Literature and Composition

In my school instead of a Language Arts Class, you can take Debate. Would it be better to be on Debate and the Debate team, or should I stick with a hard class like APLAC? I also have the option of taking college English or Business Communications. What's the option for college applications?...

#any #schedule #higher-education #author #writing #english #military #educator #ap #student #school #high-school #debate #air-force #teacher #college #writer #acting #classes

paola M.’s Avatar
paola M. Apr 17

What are some steps in becoming a successful writer? What should I major in?

I would like to be a writer some day and I would like to know how to get my writing out there, how to be noticed. I will be going to college next year in the fall and I was thinking or majoring in English literature. Would that be a good major? #writing #college #author #college-major #books...

#literarture #english

Paola M.’s Avatar
Paola M. Apr 16

What is the best way to become a writer?

I love to read and write and I wouldn't mind working in a field that involves that such as publishing and editing. But I would like to write my own books or be a writer in a some type of magazine. What would be the best way to get my writing noticed and successful? I would like to major in...

#books #columnist #writing #author #literature #english

Christian S.’s Avatar
Christian S. Apr 16

Are ACT Prep Classes really that helpful?

I need an ACT score of at least 30 to get into a military academy. From my PSAT score, I'll probably get a 28. Will an ACT Prep class actually raise my score by two points or more? Thanks! #college #military #military #act #art #physics #air-force #navy #marines #theater #act #career #test...

#reading #writing #math #english #ap #education #language #academy #high-school

Rahul S.’s Avatar
Rahul S. Oct 04, 2018

What is the career option for English Literature Students

Hello UGC NET Exam is the best career option for those want to make career in lectureship and Research program. If you have completed masters in the Commerce, Arts or Humanities subject you can prepare for the UGC NET Exam. There are more than 80 subjects in the UGC NET Exam. The UGC NET Exam...

#career #english

Devon W.’s Avatar
Devon W. Oct 03, 2018
Sara W.’s Avatar
Sara W. Aug 30, 2018

What are good majors to pair with English Literature for a double major?

I'm really wanting to go into English Literature during college, but I think perhaps it would be wise to get a double major, for practicality and broader scope of career, but I'm not sure which major would be best to go into to supplement/compliment my Literature degree. #english #double-major...

#college-major #majors

Sara W.’s Avatar
Sara W. Aug 30, 2018

Where could one intern who is an English major?

I've been considering applying for several schools that would require internships for me to complete my degree, and I would like to take as much advantage of this opportunity as possible. I'm primarily interested in a career involving the literary arts. Are there any particular types of places...

#double-major #literature #internships #english

Hallie M.’s Avatar
Hallie M. Aug 29, 2018

Is it hard to get accepted into the TEFL program?

I want to teach in Asia, is it hard to receive your TEFL certificate? #tefl...

#english

Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018

How can I know if becoming an editor is right for me?

As a kid, I always wanted to become an author. Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in editing at a publishing company. When friends have given me their writing to look over, I enjoy cleaning up the grammar as well as improving the flow and phrasing. However, since this has been my dream for...

#editor #publishing #writing #career #english

Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018

What steps should I take to become an editor?

Eventually I want to edit books for a living. Right now I'm a senior in high school. I plan on majoring in English once in college. Where do I go from there? #editor #writing #english...

#literature

Jonathan M.’s Avatar
Jonathan M. Apr 26, 2018

What is the best kind of poetry to read if I want to major in English?

I've spent time in AP English Literature and Composition, but I wanted to explore the poetry out there, but I'm not quite sure where to start. #aplit #english #poetry...

#writing

Cody M.’s Avatar
Cody M. Jan 24, 2018

How competitive is the job market as an English teacher in Japan?

It has always been my dream to move to Japan and as I am going to college my plan is to live there as an English teacher. #japanese #teaching #english #teacher...

#education

Sarina W.’s Avatar
Sarina W. Aug 07, 2018

What's a good major to pursue if you have an AA degree in Health Sciences General Studies and you enjoy subjects involving English/Writing?

By 18, if I work hard enough, I should have an AA degree in Health Sciences General Studies, though now I'm wondering if I still want to pursue a career focused entirely on health. I've always struggled with math, which as I've found is quite involved in this field, making me reconsider my...

#opentoideas #general #professionals #debating #writing #professors #journalism #english #linguistics #healthcareer #communications #health #liberalarts #career #creativewriting

Madaline M.’s Avatar
Madaline M. Aug 05, 2018