Career Questions tagged Publishing

Ray K.’s Avatar
Ray K. Oct 10, 2020 105 views

Should I self publish my book even though I want to be an editor/publisher?

I started writing (and may illustrate) a children's picture book in my spare time. I spoke to a few different professors at my college about it and they all recommended I self publish it for a few reasons: it's faster, I get more control over what the end result looks like, and I would be...

#selfpublish #childrensbooks #books #editing #publishing #writing

Abby F.’s Avatar
Abby F. Sep 17, 2020 149 views

Are there any writing tips for young authors?

I’m currently writing a book, and am looking toward publishing in the future. Is there anything I can do to make sure my writing it at it’s best? #writing #authors...

#publishing

Jade S.’s Avatar
Jade S. Jul 31, 2020 153 views

What skills are the most desirable in a book editor?

I'm about to be a senior in college. I love college, and I try my hardest in classes, job, and extracurricular activities to develop as a person. I hope that the things I am learning help with being a book editor. What qualities do think are vital to being a good book editor? #july20...

#creative-writing #book-editing #publishing #book-editor #writing

Kimmy K.’s Avatar
Kimmy K. May 16, 2020 139 views

I want to create an educational coloring book. What are the steps to publishing a book?

I'm a young professional and have an opportunity to work with nursing educators to create and publish an educational coloring book. I'm debating between collaborating with an established organization OR doing it independently and selling it on my own. With the help of the organization, I'd...

#publisher #coloring-book #california #trademark #books #llc #copyright #publishing #publish

Lyzzie G.’s Avatar
Lyzzie G. Apr 22, 2020 206 views

Are employers hiring right now?

I am graduating soon and I want to know how likely it is that I will find a job post-grad. I’m looking for a career in publishing, specifically as an editor for fiction books in the young adult genres. #career #editing #writing #publishing...

#ya

Ray K.’s Avatar
Ray K. Feb 09, 2020 245 views

What personality traits make successful editors and publishers?

I'm a brutally honest person. A lot of people don't like that but I have a feeling it will come in handy in a career in editing or publishing. #editing...

#publishing

Ray K.’s Avatar
Ray K. Feb 09, 2020 185 views

How much do editors and publishers have to travel?

And do you ever get to work from home? #editing...

#publishing

Ray K.’s Avatar
Ray K. Jan 03, 2020 252 views
Genaro G.’s Avatar
Genaro G. Sep 08, 2019 319 views

What are the steps I would need to take to be directed in the right path to becoming a singer and writer?

I am a very eagar learner who for the most part is very independent in the work I do. I have studied music and grown around it all my life. It is a passion and dream for me to create and sing music for the world. #music #music-industry #musician #singer Another passion I have is for writing, I...

#publishing #writing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Aug 26, 2019 316 views

Can I succeed in business? How can I pick a career that properly suits my interests?

Hello, I'm currently a second-year college student, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my future. I'm currently majoring in English, but I've been debating whether to add business as a second major due to my interest in what I perceive as business-related fields. The only...

#career-advice #work-experience #career #job #major #student #job-experience #help #career-help #student-advice #business #business-major #college-major #career-counseling #english-degree #advice #business-field #work #career-planning #english-major #career-coach #business-degree #education #choosing-a-major #publishing #english #career-path

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Aug 26, 2019 288 views

Can an English major work in business-related jobs?

As my question says, I'm wondering how successful an English major would be at working in business-related jobs. For example, I'm really interested in the publishing industry. Can you find success working in the publishing industry with only an English degree, or would you recommend...

#career-advice #work-experience #career #job #major #student #job-experience #help #career-help #student-advice #business #business-major #college-major #career-counseling #english-degree #advice #business-field #work #career-planning #english-major #business-degree #education #choosing-a-major #publishing #english #career-path

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 05, 2019 202 views

Self Publish or Pitch?

I've heard it both ways: pitch your book. Self-publish. Which is better to do first? Publishers have declared they like unknowns, while others want authors with a following already? Which path is more lucrative and advisable for a young author just starting out? #write #writer #youngauthor...

#selfpublish #author #teenauthor #publishing #writing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 14, 2019 414 views
Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018 375 views

How can I know if becoming an editor is right for me?

As a kid, I always wanted to become an author. Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in editing at a publishing company. When friends have given me their writing to look over, I enjoy cleaning up the grammar as well as improving the flow and phrasing. However, since this has been my dream for...

#editor #career #publishing #english #writing

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 477 views

What are some worthwhile minors to pair with communications?

I would like to go into editing, and I am interested in something technical as a minor, potentially applied math or computer sciences. However, I simply have no idea as to whether either will be useful in my field of choice. #minors #communications #publishing #career #editor...

#editing

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 280 views

Which universities do major publishing houses recruit from?

Alternately, in what states/regions (besides New York) do publishing houses have a strong presence? In exploring my college options, I either want to set myself up to be at the 'right school' or in a prime location to seek employment as an editor. #publishing #college #recruitment #recruit...

#editor #editing

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Jul 23, 2018 315 views

How Do I Sell Books in More Than One Genre?

As a young writer, I'm told all the time that I have to stick to one genre and one genre only. The problem is I like all genres and have written in all genres and formats. I write whatever I want, but I'm told that no one will publish me unless I allow myself to get stuck into a niche/specialty...

#writing #publishing #author #literature

Lane J.’s Avatar
Lane J. Jan 10, 2018 316 views

What is a year in the life of an author like?

I really want to know what progress is like as an author in the real world, and if there is any struggles or problems, and what it's like to pick certain genres (or not). I'd also like to know when are the most enjoyable/satisfying times of an author's career. #author #writing #progress...

#writer #publishing #writing-and-editing

Christina S.’s Avatar
Christina S. Mar 06, 2018 324 views

What are the benefits of being self published versus going with a publisher?

#publications #self-publishing #publisher #publishing #author I've been working on a novel for a long time, and it's currently in the stages of editing. I feel like I bit of an advantage on other authors by being a high school senior when I'm published, since I know I need all the help I can...

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018 806 views

Can you be both a copy editor and a content editor?

Rather than being one or the other, I'm wondering if you can be both. I'm aware that each type of editor has a different skill set; however, I love the idea of doing both types of editing and I wouldn't want to limit myself to one type. Plus, wouldn't the flexibility of being able to do either...

#editor #copy-editor #books #novel #copy-editing #book #content-editor #content-editing #writing-and-editing #editing #publishing #novels #writing

Empris D.’s Avatar
Empris D. Jan 24, 2018 305 views

How do I, a young writer, pitch my book to publishers?

I am a writer and I would like to pitch my book of poetry to publishers. Which publishers are most open to publishing new, young writers? #creative-writing #poetry...

#publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 474 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#editor #author #books #writers #creative-writing #writer #writing-and-editing #editing #publishing #novels #writing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 472 views

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

#interns #editor #books #internship #novel-writing #creative-writing #copy-editing #internships #writing-and-editing #publishing-company #publishing #novels #editing #writing

Jasmine B.’s Avatar
Jasmine B. Jan 19, 2018 295 views

How do I get into publishing?

I'm aware that it requires some level of internships but I'm not aware of the amount. Where should I intern? When? How do I acquire an internship? #publishing #interships #english #magazines...

#books

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 505 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#technical-writing #multiple-interests #communications #grant-writing #proposal-writing #creative-writing #copy-editing #fiction-writing #biomedical-engineering #genetics #dual-career #career-decisions #writing #editor #screenwriting #author #biomedical-science #double-major #fiction #news-writing #science-fiction #career-choice #writing-and-editing #publishing #english #career-path #creative-non-fiction

Jade S.’s Avatar
Jade S. Jan 17, 2018 278 views

Best Extracurriculars for a Book Editor?

Now that I'm looking at internships, I want to be an attractive candidate for publishing companies. I've just started working as an editor for one of my college's newspapers. My other extracurricular is very inactive now, so what clubs should I approach? Book clubs, maybe? #college #english...

#publishing

Livvy W.’s Avatar
Livvy W. Jan 16, 2018 357 views

What tips do you have for finding a publishing agent?

Publishing is one of the most important aspects of being an author, and it can be very hard to get your foot in the door. What tips are there for doing so? #writing #creative-writing #creative-arts #creative #publishing...

#publishing-company

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018 313 views

How to become a published author

Aside from self-publishing, what is the best ways to get recognized by well known publishing houses and in turn be published by them? #author #publishing #writing...

#help

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018 290 views

What is the best route to becoming an editor for a publishing house?

What classes should I take in college? Where should I apply? How do I apply and is there a healthy demand for editorial jobs? #editor #jobs #publishing #careers...

#english