Career Questions tagged Publishing

Genaro G.’s Avatar
Genaro G. Sep 08 33 views

What are the steps I would need to take to be directed in the right path to becoming a singer and writer?

I am a very eagar learner who for the most part is very independent in the work I do. I have studied music and grown around it all my life. It is a passion and dream for me to create and sing music for the world. #music #music-industry #musician #singer Another passion I have is for writing, I...

#publishing #writing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Aug 26 91 views

Can I succeed in business? How can I pick a career that properly suits my interests?

Hello, I'm currently a second-year college student, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my future. I'm currently majoring in English, but I've been debating whether to add business as a second major due to my interest in what I perceive as business-related fields. The only...

#job #business-degree #business-field #college-major #career #career-coach #work #major #publishing #business #english-degree #work-experience #english-major #student #career-counseling #career-path #business-major #english #career-planning #education #student-advice #help #career-help #choosing-a-major #advice #career-advice #job-experience

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Aug 26 67 views

Can an English major work in business-related jobs?

As my question says, I'm wondering how successful an English major would be at working in business-related jobs. For example, I'm really interested in the publishing industry. Can you find success working in the publishing industry with only an English degree, or would you recommend...

#job #business-degree #business-field #college-major #career #work #major #publishing #business #english-degree #work-experience #english-major #student #career-counseling #career-path #business-major #english #career-planning #education #student-advice #help #career-help #choosing-a-major #advice #career-advice #job-experience

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Mar 05 97 views

Self Publish or Pitch?

I've heard it both ways: pitch your book. Self-publish. Which is better to do first? Publishers have declared they like unknowns, while others want authors with a following already? Which path is more lucrative and advisable for a young author just starting out? #write #writer #youngauthor...

#selfpublish #writing #author #teenauthor #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 14 183 views

Which is better: continuing to work a job you've grown to dislike because it is advantageous for you career-wise, or finding a new job that you genuinely enjoy?

I've always believed that if you pursue a career you love, then you'll never work a day in your life, so I've followed my dreams and have always planned to pursue my passion, even if it might not result in the most high-paying job. This passion is writing. However, throughout the years, I've...

#job #creative-writing #technical-writing #career-choice #journalism #career #work #editing #publishing #student #career-counseling #career-path #work-life-balance #writing-and-editing #career-planning #writing #college #following-your-passions #student-advice #help #career-help #advice #career-advice

Emmalee B.’s Avatar
Emmalee B. Aug 28, 2018 211 views

How can I know if becoming an editor is right for me?

As a kid, I always wanted to become an author. Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in editing at a publishing company. When friends have given me their writing to look over, I enjoy cleaning up the grammar as well as improving the flow and phrasing. However, since this has been my dream for...

#editor #publishing #english #writing #career

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 234 views

What are some worthwhile minors to pair with communications?

I would like to go into editing, and I am interested in something technical as a minor, potentially applied math or computer sciences. However, I simply have no idea as to whether either will be useful in my field of choice. #minors #communications #publishing #career #editor...

#editing

Faith E.’s Avatar
Faith E. Aug 03, 2018 160 views

Which universities do major publishing houses recruit from?

Alternately, in what states/regions (besides New York) do publishing houses have a strong presence? In exploring my college options, I either want to set myself up to be at the 'right school' or in a prime location to seek employment as an editor. #publishing #college #recruitment #recruit...

#editor #editing

Trinity G.’s Avatar
Trinity G. Jul 23, 2018 209 views

How Do I Sell Books in More Than One Genre?

As a young writer, I'm told all the time that I have to stick to one genre and one genre only. The problem is I like all genres and have written in all genres and formats. I write whatever I want, but I'm told that no one will publish me unless I allow myself to get stuck into a niche/specialty...

#author #publishing #literature #writing

Lane J.’s Avatar
Lane J. Jan 10, 2018 214 views

What is a year in the life of an author like?

I really want to know what progress is like as an author in the real world, and if there is any struggles or problems, and what it's like to pick certain genres (or not). I'd also like to know when are the most enjoyable/satisfying times of an author's career. #author #writing #progress...

#writer #writing-and-editing #publishing

Christina S.’s Avatar
Christina S. Mar 06, 2018 207 views

What are the benefits of being self published versus going with a publisher?

#publications #self-publishing #publisher #publishing #author I've been working on a novel for a long time, and it's currently in the stages of editing. I feel like I bit of an advantage on other authors by being a high school senior when I'm published, since I know I need all the help I can...

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018 334 views

Can you be both a copy editor and a content editor?

Rather than being one or the other, I'm wondering if you can be both. I'm aware that each type of editor has a different skill set; however, I love the idea of doing both types of editing and I wouldn't want to limit myself to one type. Plus, wouldn't the flexibility of being able to do either...

#books #content-editing #book #writing-and-editing #content-editor #novel #writing #copy-editor #editor #copy-editing #editing #novels #publishing

Empris D.’s Avatar
Empris D. Jan 24, 2018 203 views

How do I, a young writer, pitch my book to publishers?

I am a writer and I would like to pitch my book of poetry to publishers. Which publishers are most open to publishing new, young writers? #creative-writing #poetry...

#publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 295 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

#books #creative-writing #writing-and-editing #writers #writing #author #writer #editor #editing #novels #publishing

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 307 views

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

#books #creative-writing #internship #writing-and-editing #internships #writing #editor #copy-editing #editing #novel-writing #interns #novels #publishing-company #publishing

Jasmine B.’s Avatar
Jasmine B. Jan 19, 2018 175 views

How do I get into publishing?

I'm aware that it requires some level of internships but I'm not aware of the amount. Where should I intern? When? How do I acquire an internship? #publishing #interships #english #magazines...

#books

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 371 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#creative-writing #technical-writing #news-writing #science-fiction #grant-writing #fiction-writing #career-choice #dual-career #double-major #author #proposal-writing #editor #communications #biomedical-engineering #publishing #multiple-interests #fiction #creative-non-fiction #career-path #screenwriting #career-decisions #writing-and-editing #english #genetics #writing #biomedical-science #copy-editing

Jade S.’s Avatar
Jade S. Jan 17, 2018 189 views

Best Extracurriculars for a Book Editor?

Now that I'm looking at internships, I want to be an attractive candidate for publishing companies. I've just started working as an editor for one of my college's newspapers. My other extracurricular is very inactive now, so what clubs should I approach? Book clubs, maybe? #college #english...

#publishing

Livvy W.’s Avatar
Livvy W. Jan 16, 2018 242 views

What tips do you have for finding a publishing agent?

Publishing is one of the most important aspects of being an author, and it can be very hard to get your foot in the door. What tips are there for doing so? #writing #creative-writing #creative-arts #creative #publishing...

#publishing-company

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018 211 views

How to become a published author

Aside from self-publishing, what is the best ways to get recognized by well known publishing houses and in turn be published by them? #author #publishing #writing...

#help

Julia C.’s Avatar
Julia C. Jan 16, 2018 186 views

What is the best route to becoming an editor for a publishing house?

What classes should I take in college? Where should I apply? How do I apply and is there a healthy demand for editorial jobs? #editor #jobs #publishing #careers...

#english

Claire N.’s Avatar
Claire N. Oct 07, 2017 393 views

What is the best way to get into the publishing industry?

I would love to eventually be an editor, but I don't know how to get my foot in the door! #editing #writing-and-editing...

#publishing

Elizabeth P.’s Avatar
Elizabeth P. Aug 30, 2017 390 views

What may help with getting an internship in publishing or editing?

I'm going to college for a English degree and I want to get an internship at the end of my two years. The internship, I would like it to deal with publishing and editing. #yep #publishing...

#writing-and-editing

Bianca S.’s Avatar
Bianca S. Apr 13, 2017 601 views

What book genres are the most popular right now?

One of my ultimate goals is to write my own novel and have it published. Of course, I want my book to sell, so picking the right genre is important depending on what people tend to buy. What genres are typically easier to make sales off of? #author #publishing #novels #genre #write...

#novelist

Bianca S.’s Avatar
Bianca S. Apr 13, 2017 688 views

How to get your book published

One ultimate goal of mine is to write a novel and have it published. I know this is a very challenging and long process. What is the best way to get your own book published. Should I self-publish or go through a company? #writing #author #publishing #publish #book...

#novel

Vera L.’s Avatar
Vera L. Oct 21, 2016 635 views

How can I publish a book?

I have written a novel and need some help figuring out how to publish it. #writing #author #literature #publishing...

#online-publishing

Oliver E.’s Avatar
Oliver E. Jul 08, 2016 535 views

How do I transition from Academia into Science and Information (Technical writer/Science writer/Entrepreneurial editor)?

I am a postdoc fellow in life sciences. I have been in a lab doing bench work for years and this is not as much fun and exciting as it used to be. Now, I am looking at my options, trying to figure out what my next move should be; but I know that the academic world is no longer an option....

#technical-writing #life-sciences #science #writing #editorial-writing #editing #publishing #academic-advising

Sadie J.’s Avatar
Sadie J. May 20, 2016 457 views

What are the best steps to take in becoming an editor?

I want to find a job in editing teen books, so I'd like some advice. #editor #publishing...

#company

Emily K.’s Avatar
Emily K. May 18, 2016 532 views

How difficult is it to find a job in publishing that allows you to afford the cost of living in New York?

I have always wanted to be an editor, however my concern now is in being capable of comfortably supporting myself. This newfound concern has led me to question whether my choice path will be realistic enough to pursue. #writing #editing #books #publishing #magazines #new-york...

#newspapers