Career Questions tagged Research

Research is a skill acquired by increasing knowledge of a particular topic. Popular careers include research scientist, historian, and sociologist. For more information, please read below.

Kayse M.’s Avatar
Kayse M. 15 hours ago 10 views
Ellie L.’s Avatar
Ellie L. Apr 21 75 views

Careers in biology other than being a physician?

Hi! I'm a junior in high school and I'm extremely passionate about biology and science in general. I've done a few research projects in various medical labs and think that health and medicine is a field I would like to pursue, but the idea of being a surgeon or physician of any kind does not...

#biology #research #medschool #doctor

Michala G.’s Avatar
Michala G. Apr 17 46 views

How can I make myself more interesting to health are orgs?

I would like to become a medical examiner, post secondary education, and in order to get there I want to get some research internships and volunteer opportunities. How can I make myself look more interesting to research orgs and other orgs i can work on? #pre-med #research #health...

#healthcare

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26 153 views

Is it okay to cold email professors who I'd like to do graduate research with?

It's time to think about applying for graduate school! I want to email some professors to learn more about their research group and fields of study. Is that acceptable or might it count against me in the application process? #phd #graduate-school #research #grad-school #applications #physics...

#academia #optics #laser-physics #particle-physics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26 98 views

Which universities have great physics graduate programs?

I'm looking to get my PhD in physics, optical engineering, particle physics, or a related field. Since it's the end of my 3rd year as an undergraduate, it's time for me to start thinking about applications! #phd #physics #grad-school #optics #optical-engineering #particle-physics...

#research

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 12 123 views

What does a technical interview entail?

I've made it past the first round of interviews for a research lab I'm interested in, and the next step is for a PI to reach out to schedule a technical interview. I have no idea what a technical interview is, or how to prepare! I'm a physics student and would be working in acoustics or...

#technical-interview #data-science #acoustics #signal-processing #physics #research-lab #internship #interviews #applications #research #interviewing

Taryn H.’s Avatar
Taryn H. Mar 04 79 views

Why do you need a Master's degree to be a Librarian?

In my research, I saw you need to have a Master’s degree to a Librarian but I don’t know. I also read you don't need one to be a School librarian yet to have at least the requirement of state teaching and it makes me very confused. #librarian...

#research

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Feb 23 94 views

Should I pursue a senior project that exposes me to a new area of physics or one that is more in line with what I believe I'll want to do as a career?

Currently, I don't have a clear idea as to what I want to do after graduation. I'll definitely apply to PhD programs, but I don't know what field I want to specialize in. Right now I'm most interested in optics, laser physics, and math. For my senior project, I'm tasked with choosing a...

#senior-project #microelectronic-engineering #engineering #undergrad #math #capstone #phd #undergraduate #research-advisor #college #physics #research #last-physics #optics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Feb 23 107 views

I have an offer that expires before I get a final decision from other summer programs. What are my options and what should I do?

Good news: I've received an offer for a physics REU at the University of Arkansas! Bad news: I need to respond by Feb 26th, even though final decisions from other REUs, national labs, and NASA come in early March. What are my options? I've already asked if my application review could be...

#laser-physics #reu #engineering #physics #nasa #national-labs #internships #applications #research #optics #decisions

Anthony S.’s Avatar
Anthony S. Jan 15 161 views

Getting into Biotech without Biotech related degree

I am a Psychology major graduating in Spring of 2022 and heavily considering getting my MBA after graduation. I discovered recently that I would like to work in business for a medical research/ biotech company in hopes of starting my own one day. But I am not sure if getting in this industry is...

#medicine #career #nanotechnology #molecular-biology #biotech #mba #career-choice #medical #medical-research #college #research #masters #business

Kamara N.’s Avatar
Kamara N. Jan 14 172 views

To study civil engineering or to study marketing

I can handle any, but I have to decide now and I'm not sure which course I should study....

#research

Alan S.’s Avatar
Alan S. Jan 04 102 views

Does publishing research on healthcare systems and reforms to the American healthcare system look good for potential pre-med students?

I am a sophomore in high school, but I will be writing a research article on the economics of the American healthcare system and I would also provide some reforms we could make. This piece will likely be published on Google Scholar and other political/STEM research journals. I want to major in...

#science #research #pre-med

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Dec 01, 2020 275 views

What are some other career options for physics majors besides high school physics teacher?

I'm planning to take more lab courses involving optics, lasers, and coding simulations, but I learned that I definitely don't want to pursue a career in software. I love doing research and am applying to summer internships at national labs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated! #careers...

#coding #physicist #engineering #jobs #physics #aerospace #research #optics

KAIA W.’s Avatar
KAIA W. Nov 20, 2020 107 views
CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 16, 2020 154 views

Were you able to get job experience or do research in your field while in college? How can I find those opportunities?

Office Hours #2: SDSU College Student Panel This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related to a specific topic. In this case, the topic was college life. If...

#college #research #undergraduate #job-experience

Catarina L.’s Avatar
Catarina L. Nov 18, 2020 165 views

Pharmacist looking for career options in Nutrition

I did a masters in Pharmaceutical Sciences but always had particular interest in Nutrition research. I enrolled in my degree thinking it would make it possible for me to work in Nutrition, but most of the jobs available are only in community pharmacy. Is there any course or degree that I can do...

#science #pharmacist #nutrition #research

brianna E.’s Avatar
brianna E. Nov 05, 2020 169 views

how many years would it take to become a RN nurse?

I did my research on how to become a nurse but theres different ways to become one and I'm trying to take the fastest, easier route. #classes #research...

#nurse

Kassandra G.’s Avatar
Kassandra G. Oct 10, 2020 129 views

Can I major in Architecture and minor in Environmental Science? Do they relate to each other?

I like to study history and i like to learn about nature and ways that it has evolved. #research...

#college-minor

Fiepre C.’s Avatar
Fiepre C. Oct 08, 2020 155 views

What can I do to research and travel?

I’m leaning towards going into the STEM field and researching DNA. Maybe even research with psychology, nothing is concrete right now but I’m really interested in researching. But I also want to travel around the world while researching so my question is how can incorporate the two? I...

#researcher #psychology #science #research #travel

İrem K.’s Avatar
İrem K. Aug 18, 2020 117 views

How can I find an online research or internship program?

I am looking for online research or internship programs for high school students. But it is very hard to find when you are under 18. Any suggestions? #summer-internship #internships...

#research

Idalla H.’s Avatar
Idalla H. Aug 17, 2020 123 views

What care should one chose in today’s society

I’ve done a lot of research on careers and honestly can’t find a single one. I’m fast, reliable, and dependable work and have worked a lot in the past few years but I need something better and bigger #research...

#student

Olivia C.’s Avatar
Olivia C. Jul 30, 2020 126 views

Is it possible to study specific disorders/syndromes in Neuroscience during undergrad years?

I'm really interested in majoring in Neuroscience and have heard about interesting syndromes and disorders like Savant Syndrome. I would love to be able to study this and I'd like to know if I have a chance to do that during my undergrad years. #july20 #neuroscience #college #research #study...

#undergrad

Kurt E.’s Avatar
Kurt E. Jul 29, 2020 146 views

How to incorporate undergraduate research into college life?

I’m a rising senior researching ways to get involved around campus. One thing that I notice is that it is frequent for undergrads to assist in research with their professors, or to conduct their own. I was wondering how do students manage to balance their academic and social life while doing...

#researcher #undergraduate #college #july20 #research

Aleksandra B.’s Avatar
Aleksandra B. Jul 29, 2020 165 views

How did you know you wanted to pursue a chem/bio PhD?

Currently, I just finished my first year at Northeastern as a Biochemistry major. I have some experience as a research assistant and would like to volunteer in a lab next semester. I am premed, but there is still some time to think about grad school. I am very interested in research as well,...

#chem #chemistry #biology #phd #gradschool #july20 #research #bio

Emily S.’s Avatar
Emily S. Jul 26, 2020 141 views

How do I get involved in bioastronautics?

I am a rising senior and I have always been interested in space. I was wondering how does one enter the field of bioastronautics? What kind of degree should I be getting? #space #astronomy #college #scientist #bioastronautics #research...

#july20