Career Questions tagged Research

Research is a skill acquired by increasing knowledge of a particular topic. Popular careers include research scientist, historian, and sociologist. For more information, please read below.

Emily M.’s Avatar
Emily M. Oct 12 43 views

How do I get started in the Emergency Management field?

I am a current undergraduate at North Dakota State University, living in Hillsboro, OR. I am studying emergency management and biological sciences, and am currently involved with the red cross as a recovery specialist and emergency management government liaison. I am incredibly interested in...

emergencymanagement healthcare disastermanagement research tsunami internship disasterrelief

Eryx L.’s Avatar
Eryx L. Sep 14 56 views

What's there to know about radiology?

I want to become both a radiologist and a 2d animator. I have not done much research into radiology so I would like to know a lot about it. research...

medical

Samyukta S.’s Avatar
Samyukta S. Sep 01 127 views

Is there any career where Genetics and Cancer research morphs into a single job?

I am drawn to genetic studies and also, I find myself really interested in Cancer treatment and research. I want to contribute to the advancements in Cancer research. I wanted to know if there are any courses through which I can become a Cancer researcher. Which course is it? What should I do...

phd cancer medicine lab research biology science

Vish S.’s Avatar
Vish S. Aug 19 109 views

What does it take to become a NASA research scientist?

research science nasa I like to learn new things every day to keep me engaged and save me from boredom. I love the type of work NASA is doing and am interested in researching because I have a perception of getting the opportunity to learn something new often. I also enjoy presenting/writing...

Lynae H.’s Avatar
Lynae H. Aug 04 165 views

College biology student with too many career options

I am entering my junior year of college and do not know how to choose a career. I am a biology major with many interests and career options like optometry, genetic counseling, research, and college professor. I have shadowed an optometrist (a career I have been interested in for a long time)...

science career research genetics biology college optometry medicine doctor

Rob B.’s Avatar
Rob B. Jul 02 126 views

As a student of Politics, I want to pursue a career in helping others. How do I go about getting into the industry?

I'm a student studying Politics and I want to pursue a career where I can help others. Ideally, I would like a role where I research and use the information to influence policy. The only problem is I have no real-world experience. Are there any good ways to get experience? I am looking at...

policy volunteer research government politics

Sheffield D.’s Avatar
Sheffield D. Jun 08 97 views

How can I get involved in environmental science lab work as a high school student?

I'm very interested in environmental science and oceanography but I would like to find a place where I can get more hands on experience out in the field. I would love to assist a scientist with lab data but I don't know how to get involved. environmental-science research...

oceanography

David R.’s Avatar
David R. May 12 138 views

What types of Colleges or Universities offer classes on Environmental science? (Or Environmental science research if possible)

Hey, I'm David. I am 16 years old and am looking for colleges or Universities that focus on research rather than hands on.environment environmental-science ecology environmental-services...

research

Ellie L.’s Avatar
Ellie L. Apr 21 209 views

Careers in biology other than being a physician?

Hi! I'm a junior in high school and I'm extremely passionate about biology and science in general. I've done a few research projects in various medical labs and think that health and medicine is a field I would like to pursue, but the idea of being a surgeon or physician of any kind does not...

research biology medschool doctor

Michala G.’s Avatar
Michala G. Apr 17 124 views

How can I make myself more interesting to health are orgs?

I would like to become a medical examiner, post secondary education, and in order to get there I want to get some research internships and volunteer opportunities. How can I make myself look more interesting to research orgs and other orgs i can work on? pre-med research health...

healthcare

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26 262 views

Is it okay to cold email professors who I'd like to do graduate research with?

It's time to think about applying for graduate school! I want to email some professors to learn more about their research group and fields of study. Is that acceptable or might it count against me in the application process? phd graduate-school research grad-school applications physics...

particle-physics academia optics laser-physics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26 207 views

Which universities have great physics graduate programs?

I'm looking to get my PhD in physics, optical engineering, particle physics, or a related field. Since it's the end of my 3rd year as an undergraduate, it's time for me to start thinking about applications! phd physics grad-school optics optical-engineering particle-physics...

research

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 12 303 views

What does a technical interview entail?

I've made it past the first round of interviews for a research lab I'm interested in, and the next step is for a PI to reach out to schedule a technical interview. I have no idea what a technical interview is, or how to prepare! I'm a physics student and would be working in acoustics or...

acoustics technical-interview research internship research-lab signal-processing interviewing physics data-science interviews applications

Taryn H.’s Avatar
Taryn H. Mar 04 174 views

Why do you need a Master's degree to be a Librarian?

In my research, I saw you need to have a Master’s degree to a Librarian but I don’t know. I also read you don't need one to be a School librarian yet to have at least the requirement of state teaching and it makes me very confused. librarian...

research

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Feb 23 147 views

Should I pursue a senior project that exposes me to a new area of physics or one that is more in line with what I believe I'll want to do as a career?

Currently, I don't have a clear idea as to what I want to do after graduation. I'll definitely apply to PhD programs, but I don't know what field I want to specialize in. Right now I'm most interested in optics, laser physics, and math. For my senior project, I'm tasked with choosing a...

phd undergraduate undergrad engineering microelectronic-engineering capstone research math college physics senior-project research-advisor last-physics optics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Feb 23 167 views

I have an offer that expires before I get a final decision from other summer programs. What are my options and what should I do?

Good news: I've received an offer for a physics REU at the University of Arkansas! Bad news: I need to respond by Feb 26th, even though final decisions from other REUs, national labs, and NASA come in early March. What are my options? I've already asked if my application review could be...

internships engineering decisions national-labs research laser-physics reu physics nasa applications optics

Anthony S.’s Avatar
Anthony S. Jan 15 312 views

Getting into Biotech without Biotech related degree

I am a Psychology major graduating in Spring of 2022 and heavily considering getting my MBA after graduation. I discovered recently that I would like to work in business for a medical research/ biotech company in hopes of starting my own one day. But I am not sure if getting in this industry is...

biotech nanotechnology medical business molecular-biology research career-choice medical-research mba college medicine masters career

Kamara N.’s Avatar
Kamara N. Jan 14 352 views

To study civil engineering or to study marketing

I can handle any, but I have to decide now and I'm not sure which course I should study....

research

Alan S.’s Avatar
Alan S. Jan 04 155 views

Does publishing research on healthcare systems and reforms to the American healthcare system look good for potential pre-med students?

I am a sophomore in high school, but I will be writing a research article on the economics of the American healthcare system and I would also provide some reforms we could make. This piece will likely be published on Google Scholar and other political/STEM research journals. I want to major in...

science research pre-med