Career Questions tagged Neuroscience

What’s the best major to pursue in order to become a neurosurgeon

I have little guidance from family members due to their lack of knowledge about college, therefore I’d like to have a better idea of what I’m getting into. I’ve narrowed down the choices to cellular and molecular biology and biomedical sciences. Are either of these two good choices or no? If...

#majors #doctor #field #neurosurgeon #medicine #neuroscience #surgery

1

Kevin Pan’s Avatar
Active Nov 14 '18 at 06:31 PM

Posted by Destiny W.’s Avatar Destiny W.
Kevin Pan’s Avatar
Kevin Pan | Software Engineer at Airbnb Hi Destiny!I'm currently a software engineer, but I actually majored in ...

What careers would be available to an individual interested in neuroscience and political science, two inherently different fields?

I am asking this question because throughout my high school career, I have developed an interest in political science through my involvements at school; however, I am also incredibly fascinated by the nervous system and would love to work in such a versatile field. What would a good middle...

#neuroscience #double-major #political-science

1

Emily Smith’s Avatar
Active Jan 30 at 05:04 AM

Posted by Zunarah A.’s Avatar Zunarah A.
Emily Smith’s Avatar
Emily Smith | Government Affairs Professional As a former Political Science major, I encourage you to take ...

Is neuroscience a good major?

Things you can consider for this specific question... Are there many job opportunities in neuroscience? Is there a lot of room for growth in the field of neuroscience? If you majored in neuroscience, are you happy with your choice of major? I'm a CareerVillage staff member and I'm...

#biology #neuro #psychology #cognition #brain #brain-sciences #healthcare #neuroscience #cognitive-science

3

Daniela Silva’s Avatar Kevin Pan’s Avatar Elizabeth Simpson’s Avatar
Active Nov 14 '18 at 06:55 PM

Posted by Alexandra C.’s Avatar Alexandra C.
Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Daniela Silva | Educational Writer- New Heights Educational Group Hi Alexandra!Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary science that works closely with other ...
Bryant Stratton’s Avatar
Bryant Stratton | Converging Incentive, Purpose, and Value A minor is a sub set of tools within a degree. ...

How valuable were internships when seeking careers in Biology/Psychology fields?

I’m interested in neuroscience but not sure to go the Biology or Psychology route. Wondering how internships helped you to decide which direction to go....

#neuroscience

1

Bryant Stratton’s Avatar
Active Feb 05 at 08:05 PM

Posted by Hannah B.’s Avatar Hannah B.
Bryant Stratton’s Avatar
Bryant Stratton | Converging Incentive, Purpose, and Value Experience is king. An internship is an application of tools or ...

What is Space X and what can I do there ?

0

Active Jul 13 '18 at 07:41 PM

Posted by Tory M.’s Avatar Tory M.

Medical Science - Neuroscience, Orthopedics, Hematology and Ophthamology. What should I go for?

I'm personally interested in Medical Science particularly; hematology, opthamology, orthopedics and neuroscience. I've not yet made up my mind on a particular one to go for. How do I know the one to specialise on? #medicine #medical-field #med #neuroscience...

#orthopedics

1

David George’s Avatar
Active Jun 20 '18 at 07:27 PM

Posted by Charisa E.’s Avatar Charisa E.
David George’s Avatar
David George | Psychic Detective at David George Psychic/Medium Charisa, most specialties are not picked until your year of internship ...

Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience vs. Psychology?

What's the difference between majoring in CBNU vs. Psychology? #psychology...

#neuroscience

1

Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Active Jun 12 '18 at 10:45 PM

Posted by Reshyra J.’s Avatar Reshyra J.
Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Daniela Silva | Educational Writer- New Heights Educational Group Hi Reshyra,The essential task of cognitive neuroscience is to understand how ...

What are things you wish you k ew before going into neuroscince/neurology?

Are there steps you wish you would have taken before stepping into the field of neurology, or things you wish someone would have told you beforehand? #advice #startingacareer #priorknowledge #neurology #neuroscience...

#connections

1

Bryant Stratton’s Avatar
Active Feb 05 at 08:17 PM

Posted by Oreoluwa A.’s Avatar Oreoluwa A.
Bryant Stratton’s Avatar
Bryant Stratton | Converging Incentive, Purpose, and Value Ignorance is bliss. Understanding how people operate is a blessing and ...
Tiffany Green, M.A, Ed.S,LAC’s Avatar
Tiffany Green, M.A, Ed.S,LAC | Certified School Counselor Hello, It should take approximately 12 years to become a practicing ...

Will a minor in Neuroscience help if I want to major in Clinical Psychology and work in a hospital setting?

I want to major in Clinical Psychology and work with children in a hospital setting. Many schools that I am looking at offer minors in neuroscience. This field also fascinates me; would getting a minor in neuroscience benefit me? #psychology #neuroscience...

#minor

1

Linda Ann Robinson, Ph.D.’s Avatar
Active May 29 '18 at 06:45 PM

Posted by Hannah S.’s Avatar Hannah S.
Linda Ann Robinson, Ph.D.’s Avatar
Linda Ann Robinson, Ph.D. | Industrial-Organizational Psychology & HR Consulting A minor is always useful, regardless of future plans. You cannot ...

How can I study abroad with a Neuroscience major?

All of my classes are going to be very science based and I'm not sure how I could fit Studying Abroad into my schedule since the country I want to go to does offer very many science courses through my schools program. #study-abroad...

#neuroscience

0

Active May 21 '18 at 07:28 PM

Posted by Emily M.’s Avatar Emily M.

What is something you wish you knew going into a neuroscience or psychology program?

I plan to major in neuroscience, and I want to be as prepared for it as I can be. I have been warned that it is a very challenging major and will require a lot of work. That being said, I want to know if there's anything else I should be aware of going into it. #neuroscience...

#psychology

1

Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Active May 16 '18 at 08:00 PM

Posted by Kathryn T.’s Avatar Kathryn T.
Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Daniela Silva | Educational Writer- New Heights Educational Group Hi, KathrynFiguring out what’s going on in another person’s mind is ...

What is the best/worst part of being a neuroscientist?

I'm planning to major in neuroscience, and I'm curious what people think the best part of being a neuroscientist is. However, I am also curious what people think the worst part is, because nothing is perfect. There are always bits people don't like - for anything, not just neuroscience - and...

#neuroscience

1

Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Active May 17 '18 at 01:48 PM

Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Daniela Silva | Educational Writer- New Heights Educational Group Hi, KathrynAccoding to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics*, University of Washington, ...

Narrowing Down The Areas of Work for a Nueroscientist. What would this be called?

I'm really interested in #neuroscience, and am planning to become a #neuroscientist. I saw somewhere that neuroscientist is a more general term, and that neuroscientists focus on an area, like brain development. I would really just like to make new, breakthrough discoveries about the brain,...

1

Sharlene Flesher, PhD’s Avatar
Active Jan 23 at 06:43 PM

Posted by Ekeko S.’s Avatar Ekeko S.
Sharlene Flesher, PhD’s Avatar
Sharlene Flesher, PhD | Motor systems neuroscientist/engineer in brain-computer interface and sensory ... You're right, neuroscience is as broad as the number of things ...

Should I practice as a Neurologist before I go into Neurobio research?

I've talked to multiple professionals and some say its required and others say if you want to do both always start at research. So I'm confused. Because it would change the type of education I need. #research #neuroscience #science...

#biology

1

Steve Noffsinger’s Avatar
Active Oct 12 '18 at 11:35 AM

Posted by Samantha J.’s Avatar Samantha J.
Steve Noffsinger’s Avatar
Steve Noffsinger | Plant Scientist/Breeder If you want to do both, you need to talk with ...

What type of job would someone with a cognitive science degree do?

I love cognitive science and plan for that to be my major..but struggle with what type of job I would someday like to do. #cognitive-science #clinical-psychology #cognition #cognitive-psychology...

#neuroscience

1

Tejas Antani’s Avatar
Active May 01 '18 at 01:53 AM

Posted by Kaitlyn R.’s Avatar Kaitlyn R.
Tejas Antani’s Avatar
Tejas Antani | Assistant Vice President, Technology & Operations at AT&T Hello fellow cog sci major! I graduated from Berkeley Cog Sci ...

What is an average day in the life of a neurologist and neuroscientist like?

I am really interested in the #brain, and how it functions, but more importantly want to find new discoveries about it. What is a day in the life of his job like,hand is worth all the school years? #neurology #neurologist #neuroscience...

#neuroscientist

1

Lindsey Manning-Djabbari’s Avatar
Active Aug 21 '18 at 11:15 PM

Posted by Ekeko S.’s Avatar Ekeko S.
Lindsey Manning-Djabbari’s Avatar
Lindsey Manning-Djabbari | Entrepreneur & Community Builder Great question Ekeko. I'm sorry it hasn't been answered yet! I ...

How big of a deal is location when it comes to finding a job?

For a current high school student planning to pursue neuroscience in high school, what is the best place in the U.S. to find work after college? Are there any geographic areas in the country that have more need for people in the field? I would especially like to go into research...but we'll see...

#after-college #science #work #research #job #college #neuroscience #stem #job-search

4

Austin L.’s Avatar Michael Bracey’s Avatar Ken Simmons’s Avatar Gwendolyn Quintana’s Avatar
Active Apr 15 '18 at 10:39 PM

Posted by Mikayla C.’s Avatar Mikayla C.
Austin L.’s Avatar
Austin L. | PwC Experienced Associate, Advisory Mikayla, good question. In the United States, as well as most ...

It is worth it to keep music in my life as I pursure college and careers?

All throughout k-12 school, music has been a big part of my life. Playing principal clarinet in numerous all-state events and solo contests throughout my high school career has been a big part of my life. However, I am probably going to pursue science in college, and I am wondering if I should...

#science #double-major #stem #music #neuroscience #clarinet #physics

3

Joseph Canovas’s Avatar Judeanne Armenti’s Avatar Ken Simmons’s Avatar
Active Sep 25 '18 at 11:27 PM

Joseph Canovas’s Avatar
Joseph Canovas | General Manager Anything that makes you happy is worth continuing. If you feel ...

What is the best way to prepare for studying engineering in graduate school?

I am interested in Computational Neuroscience, and hope to study either Biomedical engineering or electrical engineering in college, along with neuroscience. I want to make sure that I am a good candidate for graduate school (in engineering or computational neuroscience), while still adamantly...

#neuroscience #engineering #gradschool

2

Sai Maddali’s Avatar Ken Simmons’s Avatar
Active Apr 15 '18 at 11:08 PM

Posted by Elisabeth T.’s Avatar Elisabeth T.
Sai Maddali’s Avatar
Sai Maddali | Product Management @ Okta Hi Elisabeth! If you are interested in CN I think doing ...

What are some good colleges for future med students in undergraduate study that have good scholarship options?

I want to go to medical school to be a neurologist, and I am searching for undergrad schools that will lead me in that direction that have good scholarships to offer. #doctor #medical #neuroscience #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care...

#neurology

1

Ann Gianoglio Burk, MBA’s Avatar
Active Aug 17 '18 at 12:25 AM

Posted by Sydney S.’s Avatar Sydney S.
Ann Gianoglio Burk, MBA’s Avatar
Ann Gianoglio Burk, MBA | Student/Customer Care Manager | Operations Handywoman | People ... Hi Sydney,College searching can be overwhelming, but I am confident you ...

What job opportunities would be available to me with a declared double major in Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology, and what steps can I take while in college to better my chances at obtaining a job?

As stated in the question, I am double majoring in Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology. I want to study the relation of the brain to cognition and behavior to gain a better understanding of the only partially unlocked human mind and how this understanding can help with mental health and...

#neuroscience #psychology #cognitive-psychology

2

Nicole Coates’s Avatar Amrit Kaur’s Avatar
Active Dec 12 '18 at 10:41 AM

Posted by Azaleah L.’s Avatar Azaleah L.
Nicole Coates’s Avatar
Nicole Coates | UC Davis Alumna seeking opportunities in cognitive neuroscience ... This is wonderful to see someone interested in such a career! ...

What kinds of tools and analyses do computational neuroscientists perform in research?

This is coming from someone who isn't very familiar with technology used in the field and really wants to learn....

#neuroscience

1

Erin Naffziger’s Avatar
Active Apr 08 '18 at 08:54 AM

Posted by Lia F.’s Avatar Lia F.
Erin Naffziger’s Avatar
Erin Naffziger | PhD Candidate in Biopsychology at the University of ... Computational neuroscientists try to model how the brain works and use ...

How do I decide between two very different career paths?

I've always had my mind set on business. My senior year, I ended up taking a psychology class and loved it. I found it fascinating how the brain works and every other aspect of the class. I don't want to make the wrong decision when I have to decide what classes I have to take. #psychology...

#neuroscience #business

3

Ashish Malhotra’s Avatar Christelle Picard’s Avatar Linda Ann Robinson, Ph.D.’s Avatar
Active May 06 '18 at 04:04 AM

Posted by Victoria L.’s Avatar Victoria L.
Ashish Malhotra’s Avatar
Ashish Malhotra | Author Hellos,First thing I want to tell you is when we are ...

What's it really like to be a Neurosurgeon or in Neuroscience in general?

I originally wanted to pursue a career in Astrology or any science. I felt that if I wanted to achieve goals such as doing charity and making the world a better place, I needed a high paying career/job that would be enjoyable and interesting. So, what are the feelings of being a Neurosurgeon;...

#brain-surgeon #success #morals #career #science #neuroscientist #neurosurgery #general-career-questions #money #neuroscience #surgery #research

1

Lindsey Manning-Djabbari’s Avatar
Active Apr 13 '18 at 12:14 AM

Posted by Brooklyn M.’s Avatar Brooklyn M.
Lindsey Manning-Djabbari’s Avatar
Lindsey Manning-Djabbari | Entrepreneur & Community Builder Great question Brooklyn. I'm sorry it hasn't been answered yet! I ...

Which major will benefit me more in pursing a career: psychology or neuroscience?

I was given advice that a #neuroscience major would benefit me more than a #psychology major when persuading a career in #psychiatry and I wanted to know if this was true or...

1

Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Active Jan 25 '18 at 10:47 AM

Posted by Jasmine H.’s Avatar Jasmine H.
Daniela Silva’s Avatar
Daniela Silva | Educational Writer- New Heights Educational Group Hi jasmine! The main difference between psychology and neuroscience is the ...

How do I make sure that the field I want to go into is a good field?

I want to go into neuroscience research. I want to make sure that this is a good field to go into and that it will continue to be one....

#neuroscience

1

Brandy E. Wade’s Avatar
Active Apr 10 '18 at 10:58 PM

Posted by Megan Z.’s Avatar Megan Z.
Brandy E. Wade’s Avatar
Brandy E. Wade | Postdoctoral Fellow The first step is knowing if you are interested in the ...

What is the easiest and most efficient way to pay back student loans?

I want to eventually earn my PhD in neuroscience. While this is a very prestigious goal, it comes with a heavy price tag. Knowing how to get out of student loan debt before I even have it will greatly benefit me. #neuroscience...

#studentloans

3

Charles M Hurd’s Avatar Robert Carthum, PMP’s Avatar Mazen T. Elkurd’s Avatar
Active Feb 21 '18 at 12:29 AM

Posted by Megan Z.’s Avatar Megan Z.
Charles M Hurd’s Avatar
Charles M Hurd | Aspiring adviser to STEM teens. Explains clearly, exhorts ... The way to pay off your debt is to make a ...

How is the field of Neuroscience expected to change in the near future?

I am extremely interested in pursuing a degree in Neuroscience because of how vast the field is and the fact that the field encompasses biology and psychology. I don't really know what to expect from pursuing this field of study, and I was hoping someone could help me see how this field is...

#neuroscience #biology #psychology #college-major

0

Active Jan 16 '18 at 04:22 PM

Posted by Amberlynn H.’s Avatar Amberlynn H.

Over 61,000 students, educators, and professionals are discussing their career paths on CareerVillage.

Join us

icon-country-tagsCurrently showing results for: Global (all countries) (change)