Career Questions tagged Physics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Apr 06 93 views

What's the difference between working in a lab and working in R&D for a company?

I'm graduating with my bachelor's degree in physics this May (yay!), and I learned that I loved working in the lab, performing experiments, doing computational analyses, drawing conclusions, etc. I'd love to work in a lab at some point but there seem to be a lot of entry barriers for physicists...

Jessie C.’s Avatar
Jessie C. Apr 03 113 views

Courses in high school

A lot of colleges recommend that students take all three fundamentals of science (biology, chemistry, physics), however I'm looking into doing AP Biology instead of doing physics since biology is more related to my field of interest. Will that affect anything when I'm applying to college?

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 02 148 views

As a new graduate (bachelor's in physics), can I apply for internships as a way to get my foot in the door?

I'm trying to find research (possibly contracting) positions in physics, laser science, data science, or imaging science. Looking at indeed, the only entry level positions I find are for new PhDs. Could internships be a good route to getting a foot in the door for full time positions?...

Alexander F.’s Avatar
Alexander F. Mar 02 135 views

How do you decide what college to pick?

I want to be a physicist but I don't know what college I should try to get into. Any recommendation? #college-advice #physics

Walker A.’s Avatar
Walker A. Nov 12, 2021 157 views

What are some of the careers in physics?

I am a junior in High School, interested in physics and baseball, and I am looking to start my search for colleges. #physics #college

Jose C.’s Avatar
Jose C. Nov 01, 2021 144 views

What can be some of the best job options after studying physics?

Hello I’m Jose, right now I’m doing an exchange student program so I traveled from Spain to here, America, so I can learn about your culture and to perfect my English as much as I can. One of my dream careers I would love to study as I also love that subject is physics. So my question here is...

siyanda K.’s Avatar
siyanda K. Oct 29, 2021 133 views
Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Oct 25, 2021 236 views

What does an applications engineer do?

I've heard mention of the job title "applications engineer" at an optics conference I attended recently. It seems like they work with customers to develop a product based on the customer's specifications. I'm interested in science communication and hands-on physics / engineering. Is this the...

Gudani M.’s Avatar
Gudani M. Aug 22, 2021 286 views

How can I find a part time job? I'm a student in BSC(physics and Chemistry)

I am a hardworking student who want to be independent in life
#women's must rise #physics #chem #chemistry #STEM #science

Lillian H.’s Avatar
Lillian H. Jul 14, 2021 324 views

Are there any college majors that combine physics and neuroscience?

Physics and neuroscience are my main passions that I want to study more in college, but I am really tied between them, so does anyone know any majors that combine them? I thought about biomedical or electrical engineering, but I am open to more recommendations! #physics #college #engineering...

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Jun 03, 2021 335 views

What is a good background to have as a Systems Engineer?

I came across a job description for a Systems Engineer, and it seems like something I might be interested in. I have a lot of on-the-job experience with project management and communication, and I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree in physics next year. Is this an appropriate background...

Natalie B.’s Avatar
Natalie B. Jun 01, 2021 428 views

What should I know about studying physics?

I love learning, math, and science. I am more interested in physics or astrophysics than I am in biological sciences. Is a physics major or degree worth it? What should I do in high school to prepare for studying physics? What are some extracurriculars that can get me involved in the subject?...

Divya G.’s Avatar
Divya G. Apr 20, 2021 252 views

Which A-levels should I choose for medicine?

My GCSEs are almost done with and I have to choose my A-levels soon. I've already decided on taking biology and chemistry for my first two options, and maybe psychology as a third option because I think it's related to medicine and can help me. My fourth option is giving me quite a bit of a...

Anthony M.’s Avatar
Anthony M. Mar 31, 2021 303 views

Preparing for Physics graduate school

I'm a third year undergraduate in a physics program getting my bachelor's degree. I'm primarily interested in graduate school, and I was wondering if there was any advice regarding how to prepare for applying?

#physics
#school
#grad-school

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26, 2021 387 views

Is it okay to cold email professors who I'd like to do graduate research with?

It's time to think about applying for graduate school! I want to email some professors to learn more about their research group and fields of study. Is that acceptable or might it count against me in the application process? #PhD #graduate-school #research #grad-school #applications #physics...

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26, 2021 371 views

Which universities have great physics graduate programs?

I'm looking to get my PhD in physics, optical engineering, particle physics, or a related field. Since it's the end of my 3rd year as an undergraduate, it's time for me to start thinking about applications!

#PhD #physics #grad-school #optics #optical-engineering #particle-physics #research

Tyler R.’s Avatar
Tyler R. Mar 12, 2021 224 views

I'm in a research oriented major (physics) and am having trouble deciding on going to grad school or beginning the hunt for work. What are some things I can do to help make a decision?

I'm a physics major and I haven't had any co-op opportunities yet, but I'm interested in what careers I should be looking for, or if I should be dedicated to grad school. Any help is much appreciated! #physics #grad-school

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 12, 2021 555 views

What does a technical interview entail?

I've made it past the first round of interviews for a research lab I'm interested in, and the next step is for a PI to reach out to schedule a technical interview. I have no idea what a technical interview is, or how to prepare! I'm a physics student and would be working in acoustics or...

Connor M.’s Avatar
Connor M. Feb 26, 2021 339 views

What are some different careers or majors that I could pursue in Physics or engineering?

I really liked my physics class in high-school, and I am interested in engineering as well, but I am not sure how to move forward in that field. Any suggestions? #physics #engineering #majors #career #college-major

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Feb 23, 2021 230 views

Should I pursue a senior project that exposes me to a new area of physics or one that is more in line with what I believe I'll want to do as a career?

Currently, I don't have a clear idea as to what I want to do after graduation. I'll definitely apply to PhD programs, but I don't know what field I want to specialize in. Right now I'm most interested in optics, laser physics, and math. For my senior project, I'm tasked with choosing a...

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Feb 23, 2021 256 views

I have an offer that expires before I get a final decision from other summer programs. What are my options and what should I do?

Good news: I've received an offer for a physics REU at the University of Arkansas! Bad news: I need to respond by Feb 26th, even though final decisions from other REUs, national labs, and NASA come in early March. What are my options? I've already asked if my application review could be...

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Dec 15, 2020 695 views

Is an MBA more useful than a PhD if I want to keep my options open?

I'm a 3rd year physics major at RIT and still have no idea what I want to do for a living once I graduate. I've heard that our MBA program is great, and I've been enjoying business-related work in my current job. Though I'm not sure what physics and business could combine to make me uniquely...

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Dec 01, 2020 562 views

What are some other career options for physics majors besides high school physics teacher?

I'm planning to take more lab courses involving optics, lasers, and coding simulations, but I learned that I definitely don't want to pursue a career in software. I love doing research and am applying to summer internships at national labs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated! #careers...

Alex Butler’s Avatar
Alex B. Nov 19, 2020 380 views

How do you begin the graduate school search as a physics major?

I am a current junior in college planning to graduate next year, and am looking for advice on how to begin the search for schools. #career-path #physics #graduateschool #gradschool #application #school #college #astronomy #junior

Owen T.’s Avatar
Owen T. Nov 18, 2020 312 views

Should I take up astronomy

I have been thinking about joining the STEM community through Astronomy and Physics as a future career. From what I have heard It is a very competitive and difficult career to get. Being a scientist has been a recurring passion. It wasn't until a few days ago I have actually considered...

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Nov 10, 2020 363 views

How can I find jobs that will fund a graduate education?

Is this something I ask at a job interview? Is there a database for places that do?

#job-search #physics #grad-school #graduate-education #benefits #engineering

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Nov 10, 2020 296 views

How easy is it to transfer skills from a physics BS to a job in industry?

I feel like a lot of recruiters will ask about engineering project experience or software expertise, and so far my classes have been math/theory focused. I'm comfortable with Python and have taken a few labs, but I feel like I don't have the experience a lot of employers expect. What sort of...