Career Questions tagged Physics

Lillian H.’s Avatar
Lillian H. Lillian H. Jul 14 104 views

Are there any college majors that combine physics and neuroscience?

Physics and neuroscience are my main passions that I want to study more in college, but I am really tied between them, so does anyone know any majors that combine them? I thought about biomedical or electrical engineering, but I am open to more recommendations! #physics #college #engineering...

#science #college-major

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Jun 03 146 views

What is a good background to have as a Systems Engineer?

I came across a job description for a Systems Engineer, and it seems like something I might be interested in. I have a lot of on-the-job experience with project management and communication, and I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree in physics next year. Is this an appropriate background...

#project-management #physics #engineering #undergraduate #undergrad #systems-engineer

Natalie B.’s Avatar
Natalie B. Natalie B. Jun 01 94 views

What should I know about studying physics?

I love learning, math, and science. I am more interested in physics or astrophysics than I am in biological sciences. Is a physics major or degree worth it? What should I do in high school to prepare for studying physics? What are some extracurriculars that can get me involved in the subject?...

#majors #math #high-school #maths #college #astrophysics #physics #astronomy #college-majors

Divya G.’s Avatar
Divya G. Divya G. Apr 20 106 views

Which A-levels should I choose for medicine?

My GCSEs are almost done with and I have to choose my A-levels soon. I've already decided on taking biology and chemistry for my first two options, and maybe psychology as a third option because I think it's related to medicine and can help me. My fourth option is giving me quite a bit of a...

#gcses #alevels #surgeon #science #medicine #undergraduate #history #premed #physics #english

Anthony M.’s Avatar
Anthony M. Anthony M. Mar 31 149 views

Preparing for Physics graduate school

I'm a third year undergraduate in a physics program getting my bachelor's degree. I'm primarily interested in graduate school, and I was wondering if there was any advice regarding how to prepare for applying? #physics #school...

#grad-school

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Mar 26 216 views

Is it okay to cold email professors who I'd like to do graduate research with?

It's time to think about applying for graduate school! I want to email some professors to learn more about their research group and fields of study. Is that acceptable or might it count against me in the application process? #phd #graduate-school #research #grad-school #applications #physics...

#academia #particle-physics #laser-physics #optics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Mar 26 161 views

Which universities have great physics graduate programs?

I'm looking to get my PhD in physics, optical engineering, particle physics, or a related field. Since it's the end of my 3rd year as an undergraduate, it's time for me to start thinking about applications! #phd #physics #grad-school #optics #optical-engineering #particle-physics...

#research

Tyler R.’s Avatar
Tyler R. Tyler R. Mar 12 129 views

I'm in a research oriented major (physics) and am having trouble deciding on going to grad school or beginning the hunt for work. What are some things I can do to help make a decision?

I'm a physics major and I haven't had any co-op opportunities yet, but I'm interested in what careers I should be looking for, or if I should be dedicated to grad school. Any help is much appreciated! #physics...

#grad-school

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Mar 12 219 views

What does a technical interview entail?

I've made it past the first round of interviews for a research lab I'm interested in, and the next step is for a PI to reach out to schedule a technical interview. I have no idea what a technical interview is, or how to prepare! I'm a physics student and would be working in acoustics or...

#technical-interview #research-lab #acoustics #internship #interviews #applications #data-science #research #interviewing #signal-processing #physics

Connor M.’s Avatar
Connor M. Connor M. Feb 26 208 views

What are some different careers or majors that I could pursue in Physics or engineering?

I really liked my physics class in high-school, and I am interested in engineering as well, but I am not sure how to move forward in that field. Any suggestions? #physics #engineering #majors #career...

#college-major

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Feb 23 120 views

Should I pursue a senior project that exposes me to a new area of physics or one that is more in line with what I believe I'll want to do as a career?

Currently, I don't have a clear idea as to what I want to do after graduation. I'll definitely apply to PhD programs, but I don't know what field I want to specialize in. Right now I'm most interested in optics, laser physics, and math. For my senior project, I'm tasked with choosing a...

#engineering #capstone #senior-project #phd #undergraduate #undergrad #research #optics #last-physics #college #microelectronic-engineering #research-advisor #physics #math

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Feb 23 138 views

I have an offer that expires before I get a final decision from other summer programs. What are my options and what should I do?

Good news: I've received an offer for a physics REU at the University of Arkansas! Bad news: I need to respond by Feb 26th, even though final decisions from other REUs, national labs, and NASA come in early March. What are my options? I've already asked if my application review could be...

#reu #engineering #applications #physics #internships #research #optics #decisions #national-labs #nasa #laser-physics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Dec 15, 2020 364 views

Is an MBA more useful than a PhD if I want to keep my options open?

I'm a 3rd year physics major at RIT and still have no idea what I want to do for a living once I graduate. I've heard that our MBA program is great, and I've been enjoying business-related work in my current job. Though I'm not sure what physics and business could combine to make me uniquely...

#stem #mba #physics-major #phd #science #business #college #physics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Dec 01, 2020 393 views

What are some other career options for physics majors besides high school physics teacher?

I'm planning to take more lab courses involving optics, lasers, and coding simulations, but I learned that I definitely don't want to pursue a career in software. I love doing research and am applying to summer internships at national labs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated! #careers...

#engineering #physicist #jobs #aerospace #research #optics #coding #physics

Alex Butler’s Avatar
Alex B. Alex B. Nov 19, 2020 244 views

How do you begin the graduate school search as a physics major?

I am a current junior in college planning to graduate next year, and am looking for advice on how to begin the search for schools. #career-path #physics #graduateschool #gradschool #application #school #college #astronomy...

#junior

Owen T.’s Avatar
Owen T. Owen T. Nov 18, 2020 184 views

Should I take up astronomy

I have been thinking about joining the STEM community through Astronomy and Physics as a future career. From what I have heard It is a very competitive and difficult career to get. Being a scientist has been a recurring passion. It wasn't until a few days ago I have actually considered...

#career #career-counseling #college #stem #physics #astronomy

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Nov 10, 2020 225 views

How can I find jobs that will fund a graduate education?

Is this something I ask at a job interview? Is there a database for places that do? #job-search #physics #grad-school #graduate-education #benefits...

#engineering

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Abby L. Nov 10, 2020 171 views

How easy is it to transfer skills from a physics BS to a job in industry?

I feel like a lot of recruiters will ask about engineering project experience or software expertise, and so far my classes have been math/theory focused. I'm comfortable with Python and have taken a few labs, but I feel like I don't have the experience a lot of employers expect. What sort of...

#career #undergraduate #givingiscaring #industry #physics #job-experience #physics-major

Joselyn S.’s Avatar
Joselyn S. Joselyn S. Nov 02, 2020 338 views

What major would i choose if i wanted to become a nurse midwife?

Although it's probably still early, i am a sophomore i am high school, i've been invited into a program that is basically setting me up in the top universities/colleges and i've been doing research. I'm still a bit confused on majors and stuff like that but just know the basics will help a lot!...

#nursing #university #double-major #science #entrepreneurship #college #midwife #physics

Evelynn E.’s Avatar
Evelynn E. Evelynn E. Oct 16, 2020 188 views

How do I get a job in forensics?

I'm a physics major with a minor in math and Spanish, and I don't know where to go, where to look, or how to get a job in forensics. I have been looking online a lot, but so far I have only found jobs for chemistry and psychology majors. Thank you #jobs #math #career #forensics #jobinforensics...

#spanish #firstjob #physics #forensicscience

Evelynn E.’s Avatar
Evelynn E. Evelynn E. Oct 15, 2020 221 views

Jobs in forensics

I'm a physics major with a minor in math and spanish. I'm trying to look for a job that is related to forensics, but so far the ones that I have found are for biology, chemistry, and psychology majors. Thank you #forensics #forensicscience #job #physics #math #spanish #...

#first-job

Dilara S.’s Avatar
Dilara S. Dilara S. Jul 30, 2020 311 views

What's a career field that incorporates physics and computer science?

I'm a rising senior in high school and I am interested in physics, calculus, and computer science. I don't know what I want to do in college but I do want to double major. What are some careers that incorporate this? Is it a good idea to double major in physics and computer science? Or is there...

#college #majors #career-counseling #july20 #career-choice #career #careers #computerscience #major #career-plan #physics #math #july #choosing-a-major

A R.’s Avatar
A R. A R. Jul 19, 2020 288 views
Lillian H.’s Avatar
Lillian H. Lillian H. Jul 17, 2020 196 views

Who should I intern under as a future Physics/Acoustic Engineering major?

I am thinking about pursuing internships to gain some experience in the STEM fields. Does anyone know any people who I can intern with during the summers? #internships #stem #engineering #physics...

#july20

Aaron S.’s Avatar
Aaron S. Aaron S. Feb 01, 2020 204 views

What kind of projects do physics majors work on?

Do you work in R&D or just research? How do you work with scientists of other fields? #research #science...

#physics

Aaron S.’s Avatar
Aaron S. Aaron S. Feb 01, 2020 177 views

What is a day in the life of a physicist like?

I want to become a physicist working in research and development, what would life be like? What are the hours? What is the work environment like? #science...

#physics

Aaron S.’s Avatar
Aaron S. Aaron S. Feb 01, 2020 183 views

For physics majors, how does government research projects compare to those of private companies?

I am a senior in high school, one of my teachers had told me that government research and private research were different, primarily focusing on grant focused payment vs direct. What are other differences? #physics #research...

#government

Aaron S.’s Avatar
Aaron S. Aaron S. Feb 01, 2020 371 views

What is a good minor to pair with a physics degree?

I am a senior in high school who wants to work in physics on a variety of projects. I'm thinking about having a engineering minor, but what opportunities could I get from other minors? #physics #college-major #college-minor...

#science