Career Questions tagged Women In Stem

Ana R.’s Avatar
Ana R. Mar 26, 2018 175 views

How could my salary, as an aspiring physician who is female and part of an under represented minority group, be affected in my future?

I have learned that in 2017 only about 34% of physicians were female. In addition to being female I am also a part of a minority group. I would like to know how these factors may play a role in determining my salary in my future career even though these facts have nothing to do with how I could...

#women #minority #physician #healthcare #medicine #female #hospital-and-healthcare #women-in-stem

Katrina P.’s Avatar
Katrina P. May 09 99 views

What is the best major for someone interested in becoming an electrical engineer?

What is the best major for someone interested in becoming an electrical engineer? And are there different kinds of focuses an electrical engineer may have? What kinds of electrical engineers are there? #engineering #electrical-engineering #women-in-stem #major-choices...

#stem

Katrina P.’s Avatar
Katrina P. May 09 96 views

Are there different kinds of focuses an electrical engineer may have?

Are there different kinds of focuses an electrical engineer may have? In other words, what kinds of electrical engineers are there? What are the differences in terms of what they do? #engineering #electrical-engineering #women-in-stem...

#stem

Augusta I.’s Avatar
Augusta I. May 09 121 views
Aleksandra B.’s Avatar
Aleksandra B. May 04 100 views

What are STEM-related activities I can do outside of college classes that help me become a successful medical school applicant?

I will be attending Northeastern University next year, and I would particularly love to get advice or suggestions for opportunities that are located in the Boston area. I plan to co-op during my undergrad, but are there other important things I can accomplish as a premed student? #stem...

#science #medicine #college #physician #boston #northeastern #healthcare #medical #premed #doctor #women-in-stem

Aleksandra B.’s Avatar
Aleksandra B. May 04 87 views

What is something you wish you knew before you entered the medical field?

I am planning to be premed in college next year, and I don't know any medical professionals closely. I would appreciate any input on what surprised you about medicine, and what one should be prepared for. Thank you! #stem #women-in-stem #medicine #med #doctor #surgeon #premed #nurse #pa #ot #pt...

#emt #do #aprn #lpn #healthcare #rn

Clio C.’s Avatar
Clio C. May 04 127 views

Did you ever feel like you had to prove your worth and capabilities in STEM to your peers and/or colleagues? How did you go about doing so?

As a STEM student (civil engineering major), I am constantly reminded about how important it is to stand out from my peers, whether in grades, extracurricular activities/leadership, internships, etc. I feel like going into a STEM education, I've only began realizing how competitive STEM fields...

#career #stem-career #stem #college #women-in-stem

Aleksandra B.’s Avatar
Aleksandra B. May 04 73 views

Does majoring in science increase your chances of getting into medical school later on?

I'll be majoring in Biochemistry as a freshman at Northeastern University next year. I truly love the sciences, and I want to know how to become a better candidate for med school. #stem #women-in-stem #medicine #biochemistry #biochem #medical #doctor #healthcare #medical-school...

#science

Abigail S.’s Avatar
Abigail S. Mar 06 83 views

What are the pros and cons of a double major?

I have several interests in fields of STEM as well as liberal arts, and I would appreciate advice on whether a double major is a reasonable way to fulfill both those aspirations. #liberal-arts...

#women-in-stem

Rosa W.’s Avatar
Rosa W. Aug 31, 2018 188 views

Would a degree from an engineering school or a duel diploma with a liberal arts school and an engineering school give an engineering student a more well-rounded education?

As a student with many interests, spaning from stem to art-history, it is hard to tell what kind of institution will be best suited for me. Would you suggest a program that is soley at an engineering school, or would a duel degree with an engineering school and a liberal arts college be better...

#steam #stem #women-in-stem

Ahlyia L.’s Avatar
Ahlyia L. Aug 27, 2018 212 views

What are the challenges I may face pursuing a career in science, and how can I stand out among the rest?

For my first two years in high school I have been studying biotechnology and I have been working diligently in preparing myself for college and the workforce. Though I have not decided on an exact career, I am deeply considering one within forensics, pharmaceuticals, or in the space exploration...

#forensics #astrophysics #future #pharmaceuticals #biotechnology #career #women-in-stem #student #technology #science #steam #space-exploration #high-school #workforce #medicine #stem #planetary-science #nasa

Chloe R.’s Avatar
Chloe R. Apr 17, 2018 251 views

Is the gender imbalance in stem related majors a problem or is it decreasing now a days?

I plan on majoring in a stem field and want to be prepared for what my classes will look like. #stem...

#women-in-stem

Tareem M.’s Avatar
Tareem M. Apr 02, 2018 285 views

How do I achieve success in a career in science while being a woman of minority?

I am a high school senior and a Muslim, Indian woman. I want to pave a way for myself to achieve my goals and experience my dreams. How can I take advantage of who I am, a woman of a minority, and still earn a degree in STEM? #science #minority #women-in-stem #empowering-women...

#career-paths

Yingyi Z.’s Avatar
Yingyi Z. Apr 01, 2018 277 views

What are some possible job position with CS degree?

Hello, I am going to CS major. I wonder what are some job positions with a CS degree. What is annual salary for those jobs? Is it easy to find those job? How should I apply for a job? Does the company I worked for matter? What are some great quality of a company I should look for?...

#software-engineering #computer-science #women-in-tech #programmer #women-in-stem

Yingyi Z.’s Avatar
Yingyi Z. Apr 01, 2018 295 views

How to become a data scientist?

Hello, I am going to a liberal art college in a fringe town next school year. The school does not have a data science major but I am highly interested in data science. (I will be going to double majors in Computer science and Statistics.) What are some steps should I do to become a data...

#college-advice #technology #computer-science #datascience #stemcareers #women-in-stem

Gillian C.’s Avatar
Gillian C. Mar 28, 2018 283 views

What does a computer engineer do?

What does a computer engineer do? What are the career options for a computer engineer? What does a day in the life of a computer engineer entail? #engineering #women-in-tech #women-in-stem #computer-engineering #stem #girls-in-stem #girls-who-code #computer-software #computer-hardware...

#computer-programming #computer-science

Molly A.’s Avatar
Molly A. Mar 27, 2018 298 views

How can a women thrive in a male dominated field?

I am going into engineering. I understand that my college classes and workplace will be dominated by men. I would like to know how I can assert myself and no be intimidated. #engineering...

#women-in-stem

Sydney R.’s Avatar
Sydney R. Mar 20, 2018 205 views

Do women in the predominantly male Engineering field face challenges of being heard and/or taken seriously in the professional workplace?

I am a female engineering student and I often find myself being isolated in the classroom setting by the overwhelming majority of male students. I feel as if some of my ideas and contributions are not heard or simply looked over due to being female in a "male oriented" career. I am curious to...

#swe #women-in-stem

Madeleine W.’s Avatar
Madeleine W. Mar 18, 2018 228 views

What is the gender gap like in upper level sciences, first hand?

I am a female, high school senior considering a career path in upper level mathematics, academia and research. I am very concerned with underrepresentation of women and I would like to know of any first hand experiences. Researching online I find a lot of statistics, but I would like more. Has...

#stemcareers #women-in-stem #academia #science #computer-science-phd #mathematics #research #graduate-school #phdbound #science-phd #stem #professor #phd

Annette V.’s Avatar
Annette V. Mar 15, 2018 337 views

What can I do as a high school student to encourage more girls to pursue STEM fields in the future?

I am currently a senior in high school and I am interested in studying STEM in college. I realize that women in the STEM field are far and few between, so what can I do as an individual to help more girls explore STEM fields in school? #women-in-stem #math #science #engineering...

#technology

Sophia W.’s Avatar
Sophia W. Mar 15, 2018 264 views

What coding language was the most difficult to learn and why?

Currently, I am enrolled in AP Computer Science and we only learn about java. I am looking to major in the computer science field and am very curious about the hundreds of different coding languages that are out there. #technology #computer-science...

#women-in-stem

Lily H.’s Avatar
Lily H. Jan 25, 2018 247 views

Is it possible to learn scientific terms in another language while studying science in English?

I am already bilingual (speak English and Spanish), but my Spanish-speaking abilities still lie a lot more on the informal/conversational side rather than formal/technical. I know that just knowing another language will benefit me no matter what, but I feel that it won't help me as much in my...

#study #science #studying #foreign-languages #studying-tips #language #stem #women-in-stem

Terri F.’s Avatar
Terri F. Jan 23, 2018 173 views

What is the hardest part about being an African-Ameican woman and becoming a mathematician?

I am asking this because I know it is very hard for an African-American woman to major in mathematics and work in this field. In addition, I am curious about how these mathematicians overcome the obstacles that they face....

#women-in-stem

Ashley B.’s Avatar
Ashley B. Jan 21, 2018 235 views

What is it like being a woman in STEM?

I’m considering going into a STEM career & majoring in STEM in college but I’ve heard it’s hard being a woman and finding a career in it because of the male dominant community. #women-in-stem #stem-education...

Lily H.’s Avatar
Lily H. Jan 20, 2018 270 views

Where are the best places for conducting scientific research?

I hope to enter the field (likely along the lines of genetic or cellular/molecular biology research) after college; however, I know that tons of others are hoping to do the same. I have also heard that scientific research is being less and less funded in the United States. With that reality...

#women-in-science #cell-biology #life-sciences #science #genetics #molecular-biology #research #biology #stem #women-in-stem