Career Questions tagged Phd

Vidhi K.’s Avatar
Vidhi K. Jan 04 58 views

I am confused. Please help

I am planning to work in a company like Illumina, Moderna, Genentech, or something similar. My question is what should I major in. Also how long do I need to study? Do I need to have a Ph.D.? What is the entry-level salary? Major in Bioinformatics Major In computer science and minor in...

#biology #in #phd #bioinformatics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Dec 15, 2020 125 views

Is an MBA more useful than a PhD if I want to keep my options open?

I'm a 3rd year physics major at RIT and still have no idea what I want to do for a living once I graduate. I've heard that our MBA program is great, and I've been enjoying business-related work in my current job. Though I'm not sure what physics and business could combine to make me uniquely...

#science #business #physics #physics-major #mba #stem #college #phd

Svetla P.’s Avatar
Svetla P. Nov 24, 2020 51 views

PhD in Computational Architecture

Hello, I am looking for a PhD program in computational architecture, can anyone recommend any institution? Preferably in US/Canada or Northern Europe or Japan. Many thanks! #phd #architecture #bionics #computation #progressive...

#design

Zachary B.’s Avatar
Zachary B. Nov 05, 2020 42 views

What are the best prerequisites to get get done for paleontology

My dream is to achieve a masters or phd in the field of paleontology #phd...

#dinosaurs

Rylie M.’s Avatar
Rylie M. Nov 03, 2020 73 views

What are the best jobs that deal with babies/fetus in the medicine feild?

I have seen a couple of jobs such as neonatal, OBGYN, or a gynecologists'. I am wondering which is the most time consuming and with it being the most time consuming, does that mean that the pay grade is higher? I want to know this because I really like everything about this line of work and I...

#pediatrician #health #nurse #medicine #doctor #phd

Sarah J.’s Avatar
Sarah J. Oct 29, 2020 117 views

If I get a bachelor's of health science, and choose not to pursue a career in pharmacy, what other options are there?

I want to (or at least I think I want to) go into a program for a PhD in pharmacy to be either a pediatric or hospital pharmacist. I plan to either get my bachelor's of health science first, then apply to a graduate program for pharmacy or go into a 6 yr program while also obtaining my...

#hospital-and-health-care #health #career-paths #career-choice #healthcare #pharmacy #phd

kiley B.’s Avatar
kiley B. Oct 19, 2020 45 views
Samyukta S.’s Avatar
Samyukta S. Oct 05, 2020 82 views

Can a clinical psychologist also be a psychology professor (at the same time)?

#psychology #professors #professor #phd Edit:- I thought it would be useful if I mentioned the country too (in which I would like to practice/teach). I think, most likely, the...

Samyukta S.’s Avatar
Samyukta S. Sep 07, 2020 216 views

Is psychology a good choice of career?

Hey! Let me tell you a bit about myself. I like helping people A LOT. Understanding and empathizing with people are my dominant qualities. I like learning about human behaviour and cognitive functions. When I'm in a group, I can really absorb the feeling of others, I know when someone is...

#psychologist #career-choice #psychology #phd #advice

Jessica H.’s Avatar
Jessica H. Aug 04, 2020 88 views
Aleksandra B.’s Avatar
Aleksandra B. Jul 29, 2020 120 views

How did you know you wanted to pursue a chem/bio PhD?

Currently, I just finished my first year at Northeastern as a Biochemistry major. I have some experience as a research assistant and would like to volunteer in a lab next semester. I am premed, but there is still some time to think about grad school. I am very interested in research as well,...

#gradschool #biology #phd #july20 #chem #bio #chemistry #research

Allison S.’s Avatar
Allison S. Jul 26, 2020 112 views

What are the main differences between a PsyD and a PhD in psychology? What do schools look at in terms of qualifications for acceptance?

I am a senior undergrad student getting ready to graduate with a B.S. in social sciences this December. I am interested in pursuing a higher degree in psychology, but would like to know the main differences between the PsyD and the PhD. I have heard the main differences are that research...

#gradschoolprograms #psyd #phd #doctorate-degree #july

Hannah M.’s Avatar
Hannah M. May 06, 2020 177 views

Is it a good idea to go PhD program from professional master's program?

I am a graduate student in a professional school. I began the program envisioning being a product manager, but I realized that I wanted to be a scholar than working for a business. Do you think it is wise to pivot my career and throw the investment that I made at the professional school and...

#college #graduate-school #academia #phd

Farooq A.’s Avatar
Farooq A. Apr 16, 2020 118 views

How should I know I need to go for PhD ?

I'm graduate student having professional experience of 2 years, I do want to pursue PhD degree. but cant find the motivation....

#phd

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Sep 16, 2019 167 views

Is it possible to complete a psychology PhD under a faculty member in a different department?

I'm looking into psychology graduate programs, particularly looking for researchers who study sexuality/relationships. People in this area vary in their actual department - for example, some are in sociology, communications, medicine, social work, etc. which vary pretty drastically from psych...

#research #sociology #graduate-school #psychiatry #admissions #social-work #psychology #medicine #grad-school #applications #communications #college #phd

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Aug 15, 2019 228 views

How to handle having depression in a research career?

I'm looking to become a psychology researcher. I understand that research careers can be fairly stressful. However, I've also suffered from depression for a decade and expect I will still be dealing with it when I attain my career. How can I go about handling my illness while also successfully...

#research #science #clinical-psychology #psychiatry #psychology #highered #brain-sciences #passion #mental-illness #stress #depression #mental-health #phd

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Jul 29, 2019 942 views

How to introduce yourself to a professor you want to study under in *grad school*?

I will be applying to Psychology Ph.D. programs this fall, and I was wondering how best to introduce myself to PIs I want to work with. For example: - What should I include in an email? - What should I say about myself? What should I say about them? - What questions do I need to ask them?...

#graduate-school #interview #doctorate #phd #psychology #grad-school #graduate #application #college #research

Martino F.’s Avatar
Martino F. Mar 01, 2019 161 views

I would like to make a PhD in Computer Science about Robotics or Computational Photography.

Hi, My name is Martino, I have a master degree in Computer Science and I would like to do a PhD in Computational Photography or in Robotics. I don't know how to choose, could you give me some advice? I started to search for a PhD programme but I am not sure where to look, do you have any good...

#science #robotics #computational-photography #machine-learning #phd #computer-science

sabrina V.’s Avatar
sabrina V. Aug 31, 2018 270 views

Is earning a PhD worth the time?

Besides the eventual money payoff, it the investment in all that time and work for school for all those years worth it? #phd #medicine #education #graduate-school...

#college-bound

Taya A.’s Avatar
Taya A. Aug 28, 2018 301 views

Is it worth putting all the time and money into going to medical school?

I am debating either becoming a medical doctor or a PA. I want the pay and title of a doctor. However, I also am not sure I want to spend all the time and money for the education of becoming one. #doctor #doctorate-degree #phd #student-loans #medicine...

#doctors

Oleksandra K.’s Avatar
Oleksandra K. May 09, 2018 413 views

Which countries have opportunities for a very cheap or even free master's or p.h.d?

I'd like to get a masters and a P.h.d. degree in linguistics or asian languages, but can't afford American college fees. Where else can I get these degrees for very cheap or even free? #europe #eastern-europe #asian #asia-pacific #masters #graduate-school #financial-aid #finance #grad-school...

#phd #international

Alex R.’s Avatar
Alex R. May 29, 2018 483 views

What can you do with a Ph.D in physics?

I have always wanted to get a Ph.d. in physics. I planned to do electrical engineering or computer science and then get a Ph.d. in physics. My main issue is that I am not sure what being a physicist entails, aside from academia. I would like to know what someone with a Ph.d. in physics could...

#science-phd #science #doctorate-degree #physics #phd #doctorate

Margot R.’s Avatar
Margot R. May 30, 2018 324 views

What are some things to do to prepare for applying to JD/PHD programs?

-What research experience/internships would be helpful? -How important is networking when applying to graduate programs? #education #law #graduate-school #college #applications #phd #jd...

#doctorate

Dimetrius P.’s Avatar
Dimetrius P. Jul 11, 2018 339 views

Should I go straight through to my PhD?

Should I get my masters and work while getting my PhD, or should I go straight through and get my PhD, interning along the way? Which way gets me more experience, and which would insure that I will have a job? #social-work #phd #internship #masters #phd...

#msw

Rebecca A.’s Avatar
Rebecca A. Jun 21, 2018 511 views

What career options are there for economics majors?

I am studying economics at Brown; I really like how economic thinking can solve problems, but I am not a huge fan of math (I do not plan to take any beyond statistics and Calc II which are required). I am very interested in public policy, but more from an applied microeconomics view (rather...

#research #career #government #economics #professor #policy #phd