Career Questions tagged Phd

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Sep 16 37 views

Is it possible to complete a psychology PhD under a faculty member in a different department?

I'm looking into psychology graduate programs, particularly looking for researchers who study sexuality/relationships. People in this area vary in their actual department - for example, some are in sociology, communications, medicine, social work, etc. which vary pretty drastically from psych...

#communications #social-work #psychiatry #applications #research #phd #psychology #medicine #grad-school #sociology #graduate-school #college #admissions

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Aug 15 59 views

How to handle having depression in a research career?

I'm looking to become a psychology researcher. I understand that research careers can be fairly stressful. However, I've also suffered from depression for a decade and expect I will still be dealing with it when I attain my career. How can I go about handling my illness while also successfully...

#highered #clinical-psychology #passion #research #psychiatry #stress #phd #psychology #science #mental-illness #depression #brain-sciences #mental-health

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Jul 29 71 views

How to introduce yourself to a professor you want to study under in *grad school*?

I will be applying to Psychology Ph.D. programs this fall, and I was wondering how best to introduce myself to PIs I want to work with. For example: - What should I include in an email? - What should I say about myself? What should I say about them? - What questions do I need to ask them?...

#research #interview #phd #psychology #grad-school #graduate #graduate-school #college #application #doctorate

Martino F.’s Avatar
Martino F. Mar 01 80 views

I would like to make a PhD in Computer Science about Robotics or Computational Photography.

Hi, My name is Martino, I have a master degree in Computer Science and I would like to do a PhD in Computational Photography or in Robotics. I don't know how to choose, could you give me some advice? I started to search for a PhD programme but I am not sure where to look, do you have any good...

#computer-science #machine-learning #phd #computational-photography #robotics #science

sabrina V.’s Avatar
sabrina V. Aug 31, 2018 172 views

Is earning a PhD worth the time?

Besides the eventual money payoff, it the investment in all that time and work for school for all those years worth it? #phd #medicine #education #graduate-school...

#college-bound

Taya A.’s Avatar
Taya A. Aug 28, 2018 164 views

Is it worth putting all the time and money into going to medical school?

I am debating either becoming a medical doctor or a PA. I want the pay and title of a doctor. However, I also am not sure I want to spend all the time and money for the education of becoming one. #doctor #doctorate-degree #phd #student-loans #medicine...

#doctors

Oleksandra K.’s Avatar
Oleksandra K. May 09, 2018 250 views

Which countries have opportunities for a very cheap or even free master's or p.h.d?

I'd like to get a masters and a P.h.d. degree in linguistics or asian languages, but can't afford American college fees. Where else can I get these degrees for very cheap or even free? #europe #eastern-europe #asian #asia-pacific #masters #graduate-school #financial-aid #finance #grad-school...

#international #phd

Alex R.’s Avatar
Alex R. May 29, 2018 283 views

What can you do with a Ph.D in physics?

I have always wanted to get a Ph.d. in physics. I planned to do electrical engineering or computer science and then get a Ph.d. in physics. My main issue is that I am not sure what being a physicist entails, aside from academia. I would like to know what someone with a Ph.d. in physics could...

#science-phd #doctorate-degree #phd #doctorate #physics #science

Margot R.’s Avatar
Margot R. May 30, 2018 218 views

What are some things to do to prepare for applying to JD/PHD programs?

-What research experience/internships would be helpful? -How important is networking when applying to graduate programs? #education #law #graduate-school #college #applications #phd #jd...

#doctorate

Dimetrius P.’s Avatar
Dimetrius P. Jul 11, 2018 193 views

Should I go straight through to my PhD?

Should I get my masters and work while getting my PhD, or should I go straight through and get my PhD, interning along the way? Which way gets me more experience, and which would insure that I will have a job? #social-work #phd #internship #masters #phd...

#msw

Rebecca A.’s Avatar
Rebecca A. Jun 21, 2018 358 views

What career options are there for economics majors?

I am studying economics at Brown; I really like how economic thinking can solve problems, but I am not a huge fan of math (I do not plan to take any beyond statistics and Calc II which are required). I am very interested in public policy, but more from an applied microeconomics view (rather...

#research #phd #policy #economics #government #career #professor

Vanessa W.’s Avatar
Vanessa W. May 26, 2018 201 views
Hailey T.’s Avatar
Hailey T. May 24, 2018 212 views
Daniella K.’s Avatar
Daniella K. Jan 16, 2018 258 views

How important is going to graduate school?

Many successful people seem to have made it in life outside of the school and degree system. Is the investment in time and money with it? #graduate-school #phd...

#higher-education

Abigail C.’s Avatar
Abigail C. Apr 08, 2018 279 views

Is it worth earning higher than a bachelor's when pursuing a career in environmental engineering?

I plan to get a bachelor's degree in environmental engineering for sure, but would it be worth the time, money($40K/yr at the school I am looking at), and effort to work towards a master's or PhD? #engineering #environmental-engineering #money #debt #degrees #bachelors-degree #bachelorsdegree...

#masters-degree #environmental #career-planning #career-plan #phd #environmental-science #mastersdegree #career-path #career-paths #environment

Madeleine W.’s Avatar
Madeleine W. Mar 18, 2018 238 views

What is the gender gap like in upper level sciences, first hand?

I am a female, high school senior considering a career path in upper level mathematics, academia and research. I am very concerned with underrepresentation of women and I would like to know of any first hand experiences. Researching online I find a lot of statistics, but I would like more. Has...

#science-phd #women-in-stem #mathematics #research #academia #phd #stemcareers #stem #science #graduate-school #computer-science-phd #professor #phdbound

Kira Q.’s Avatar
Kira Q. Jan 19, 2018 232 views

Would a double major followed by a PhD be too much?

I don't want to spend the rest of my life in school, but I do want to teach at the college level. I'm debating between getting my PhD in history or English/writing. Would it be too much of a hassle to double major and then decide? #double-major #phd #history #writing...

#creative-writing

Amberlynn H.’s Avatar
Amberlynn H. Jan 16, 2018 295 views

On average, how expensive is pursuing a PhD?

I am really interested in pursuing higher education and excited for the possibility of completing such a high level of study. My concern is that it most likely will not be an affordable course of action; which might barre me from pursuing education at that level. Is there any way to make that...

#higher-education #college #phd #affordability

Ashley H.’s Avatar
Ashley H. Dec 17, 2017 511 views

Is pursuing a master's degree or higher worth it?

I currently pursuing my Bachelor's degree in environmental sciences, and I originally was going to pursue a master's and a Ph.D. after its completion. However, in speaking to advisors, classmates and a couple of individuals in related fields, I have become hesitant about my original plan. With...

#masters-degree #higher-education #graduate-school #phd #environmental-science

Huy D.’s Avatar
Huy D. May 20, 2016 390 views

When I am studying, and if I receive and internship, Is there any possible chances of pay? What specific skills should I keep in mind for my future career in nursing?

I am a sophomore, and I am truly dedicated to the idea of one day becoming a nurse, Doctor, or any kind of health professional. I want to be able to earn these chosen careers because my goal, dream is to be able to live a life of helping people. I want to ensure a safe and healthy world. My...

#masters-degree #physician #phd #pre-med #surgeon #associates-degree #nursing #doctor

Rachel B.’s Avatar
Rachel B. May 26, 2016 399 views

Is studying biology or biomedcial engeneering as an undergraduate beter if I want to attend medical school after college?

I am visiting colleges this summer and trying to determine my course of study in college. I currently want to be either a Orthopedic Surgeon, Cardiologist, or Neurologist. #professor #pre-med #phd #medicine #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care #neuroscience #orthopedics...

#cardiology