Career Questions tagged Phd

Jessica H.’s Avatar
Jessica H. Aug 04 34 views
Aleksandra B.’s Avatar
Aleksandra B. Jul 29 39 views

How did you know you wanted to pursue a chem/bio PhD?

Currently, I just finished my first year at Northeastern as a Biochemistry major. I have some experience as a research assistant and would like to volunteer in a lab next semester. I am premed, but there is still some time to think about grad school. I am very interested in research as well,...

#chem #july20 #phd #gradschool #biology #research #chemistry #bio

Allison S.’s Avatar
Allison S. Jul 26 55 views

What are the main differences between a PsyD and a PhD in psychology? What do schools look at in terms of qualifications for acceptance?

I am a senior undergrad student getting ready to graduate with a B.S. in social sciences this December. I am interested in pursuing a higher degree in psychology, but would like to know the main differences between the PsyD and the PhD. I have heard the main differences are that research...

#psyd #doctorate-degree #phd #gradschoolprograms #july

Hannah M.’s Avatar
Hannah M. May 06 108 views

Is it a good idea to go PhD program from professional master's program?

I am a graduate student in a professional school. I began the program envisioning being a product manager, but I realized that I wanted to be a scholar than working for a business. Do you think it is wise to pivot my career and throw the investment that I made at the professional school and...

#graduate-school #college #academia #phd

Farooq A.’s Avatar
Farooq A. Apr 16 76 views

How should I know I need to go for PhD ?

I'm graduate student having professional experience of 2 years, I do want to pursue PhD degree. but cant find the motivation....

#phd

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Sep 16, 2019 129 views

Is it possible to complete a psychology PhD under a faculty member in a different department?

I'm looking into psychology graduate programs, particularly looking for researchers who study sexuality/relationships. People in this area vary in their actual department - for example, some are in sociology, communications, medicine, social work, etc. which vary pretty drastically from psych...

#psychiatry #sociology #phd #social-work #psychology #college #communications #research #medicine #grad-school #applications #graduate-school #admissions

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Aug 15, 2019 163 views

How to handle having depression in a research career?

I'm looking to become a psychology researcher. I understand that research careers can be fairly stressful. However, I've also suffered from depression for a decade and expect I will still be dealing with it when I attain my career. How can I go about handling my illness while also successfully...

#psychiatry #passion #mental-illness #phd #psychology #research #mental-health #depression #highered #clinical-psychology #stress #science #brain-sciences

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Jul 29, 2019 473 views

How to introduce yourself to a professor you want to study under in *grad school*?

I will be applying to Psychology Ph.D. programs this fall, and I was wondering how best to introduce myself to PIs I want to work with. For example: - What should I include in an email? - What should I say about myself? What should I say about them? - What questions do I need to ask them?...

#phd #psychology #doctorate #college #research #grad-school #interview #graduate #graduate-school #application

Martino F.’s Avatar
Martino F. Mar 01, 2019 123 views

I would like to make a PhD in Computer Science about Robotics or Computational Photography.

Hi, My name is Martino, I have a master degree in Computer Science and I would like to do a PhD in Computational Photography or in Robotics. I don't know how to choose, could you give me some advice? I started to search for a PhD programme but I am not sure where to look, do you have any good...

#science #phd #machine-learning #computational-photography #robotics #computer-science

sabrina V.’s Avatar
sabrina V. Aug 31, 2018 234 views

Is earning a PhD worth the time?

Besides the eventual money payoff, it the investment in all that time and work for school for all those years worth it? #phd #medicine #education #graduate-school...

#college-bound

Taya A.’s Avatar
Taya A. Aug 28, 2018 244 views

Is it worth putting all the time and money into going to medical school?

I am debating either becoming a medical doctor or a PA. I want the pay and title of a doctor. However, I also am not sure I want to spend all the time and money for the education of becoming one. #doctor #doctorate-degree #phd #student-loans #medicine...

#doctors

Oleksandra K.’s Avatar
Oleksandra K. May 09, 2018 371 views

Which countries have opportunities for a very cheap or even free master's or p.h.d?

I'd like to get a masters and a P.h.d. degree in linguistics or asian languages, but can't afford American college fees. Where else can I get these degrees for very cheap or even free? #europe #eastern-europe #asian #asia-pacific #masters #graduate-school #financial-aid #finance #grad-school...

#international #phd

Alex R.’s Avatar
Alex R. May 29, 2018 428 views

What can you do with a Ph.D in physics?

I have always wanted to get a Ph.d. in physics. I planned to do electrical engineering or computer science and then get a Ph.d. in physics. My main issue is that I am not sure what being a physicist entails, aside from academia. I would like to know what someone with a Ph.d. in physics could...

#science-phd #science #physics #phd #doctorate #doctorate-degree

Margot R.’s Avatar
Margot R. May 30, 2018 281 views

What are some things to do to prepare for applying to JD/PHD programs?

-What research experience/internships would be helpful? -How important is networking when applying to graduate programs? #education #law #graduate-school #college #applications #phd #jd...

#doctorate

Dimetrius P.’s Avatar
Dimetrius P. Jul 11, 2018 289 views

Should I go straight through to my PhD?

Should I get my masters and work while getting my PhD, or should I go straight through and get my PhD, interning along the way? Which way gets me more experience, and which would insure that I will have a job? #social-work #phd #internship #masters #phd...

#msw

Rebecca A.’s Avatar
Rebecca A. Jun 21, 2018 460 views

What career options are there for economics majors?

I am studying economics at Brown; I really like how economic thinking can solve problems, but I am not a huge fan of math (I do not plan to take any beyond statistics and Calc II which are required). I am very interested in public policy, but more from an applied microeconomics view (rather...

#professor #government #phd #economics #career #policy #research

Vanessa W.’s Avatar
Vanessa W. May 26, 2018 253 views
Hailey T.’s Avatar
Hailey T. May 24, 2018 274 views
Daniella K.’s Avatar
Daniella K. Jan 16, 2018 314 views

How important is going to graduate school?

Many successful people seem to have made it in life outside of the school and degree system. Is the investment in time and money with it? #graduate-school #phd...

#higher-education

Abigail C.’s Avatar
Abigail C. Apr 08, 2018 343 views

Is it worth earning higher than a bachelor's when pursuing a career in environmental engineering?

I plan to get a bachelor's degree in environmental engineering for sure, but would it be worth the time, money($40K/yr at the school I am looking at), and effort to work towards a master's or PhD? #engineering #environmental-engineering #money #debt #degrees #bachelors-degree #bachelorsdegree...

#environmental #phd #career-planning #career-path #masters-degree #career-plan #mastersdegree #environment #environmental-science #career-paths

Madeleine W.’s Avatar
Madeleine W. Mar 18, 2018 322 views

What is the gender gap like in upper level sciences, first hand?

I am a female, high school senior considering a career path in upper level mathematics, academia and research. I am very concerned with underrepresentation of women and I would like to know of any first hand experiences. Researching online I find a lot of statistics, but I would like more. Has...

#women-in-stem #professor #phd #academia #research #phdbound #science-phd #stem #science #stemcareers #computer-science-phd #graduate-school #mathematics

Kira Q.’s Avatar
Kira Q. Jan 19, 2018 297 views

Would a double major followed by a PhD be too much?

I don't want to spend the rest of my life in school, but I do want to teach at the college level. I'm debating between getting my PhD in history or English/writing. Would it be too much of a hassle to double major and then decide? #double-major #phd #history #writing...

#creative-writing

Amberlynn H.’s Avatar
Amberlynn H. Jan 16, 2018 345 views

On average, how expensive is pursuing a PhD?

I am really interested in pursuing higher education and excited for the possibility of completing such a high level of study. My concern is that it most likely will not be an affordable course of action; which might barre me from pursuing education at that level. Is there any way to make that...

#college #higher-education #affordability #phd