Career Questions tagged Phd

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26 104 views

Is it okay to cold email professors who I'd like to do graduate research with?

It's time to think about applying for graduate school! I want to email some professors to learn more about their research group and fields of study. Is that acceptable or might it count against me in the application process? #phd #graduate-school #research #grad-school #applications #physics...

#optics #academia #particle-physics #laser-physics

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26 54 views

Which universities have great physics graduate programs?

I'm looking to get my PhD in physics, optical engineering, particle physics, or a related field. Since it's the end of my 3rd year as an undergraduate, it's time for me to start thinking about applications! #phd #physics #grad-school #optics #optical-engineering #particle-physics...

#research

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Feb 23 74 views

Should I pursue a senior project that exposes me to a new area of physics or one that is more in line with what I believe I'll want to do as a career?

Currently, I don't have a clear idea as to what I want to do after graduation. I'll definitely apply to PhD programs, but I don't know what field I want to specialize in. Right now I'm most interested in optics, laser physics, and math. For my senior project, I'm tasked with choosing a...

#math #undergraduate #engineering #last-physics #undergrad #capstone #phd #college #optics #microelectronic-engineering #physics #research-advisor #senior-project #research

Vidhi K.’s Avatar
Vidhi K. Jan 04 104 views

I am confused. Please help

I am planning to work in a company like Illumina, Moderna, Genentech, or something similar. My question is what should I major in. Also how long do I need to study? Do I need to have a Ph.D.? What is the entry-level salary? Major in Bioinformatics Major In computer science and minor in...

#bioinformatics #biology #in #phd

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Dec 15, 2020 237 views

Is an MBA more useful than a PhD if I want to keep my options open?

I'm a 3rd year physics major at RIT and still have no idea what I want to do for a living once I graduate. I've heard that our MBA program is great, and I've been enjoying business-related work in my current job. Though I'm not sure what physics and business could combine to make me uniquely...

#business #physics-major #mba #phd #physics #science #college #stem

Svetla P.’s Avatar
Svetla P. Nov 24, 2020 73 views

PhD in Computational Architecture

Hello, I am looking for a PhD program in computational architecture, can anyone recommend any institution? Preferably in US/Canada or Northern Europe or Japan. Many thanks! #phd #architecture #bionics #computation #progressive...

#design

Zachary B.’s Avatar
Zachary B. Nov 05, 2020 60 views

What are the best prerequisites to get get done for paleontology

My dream is to achieve a masters or phd in the field of paleontology #phd...

#dinosaurs

Rylie M.’s Avatar
Rylie M. Nov 03, 2020 106 views

What are the best jobs that deal with babies/fetus in the medicine feild?

I have seen a couple of jobs such as neonatal, OBGYN, or a gynecologists'. I am wondering which is the most time consuming and with it being the most time consuming, does that mean that the pay grade is higher? I want to know this because I really like everything about this line of work and I...

#health #doctor #nurse #pediatrician #medicine #phd

Sarah J.’s Avatar
Sarah J. Oct 29, 2020 152 views

If I get a bachelor's of health science, and choose not to pursue a career in pharmacy, what other options are there?

I want to (or at least I think I want to) go into a program for a PhD in pharmacy to be either a pediatric or hospital pharmacist. I plan to either get my bachelor's of health science first, then apply to a graduate program for pharmacy or go into a 6 yr program while also obtaining my...

#career-choice #health #career-paths #pharmacy #hospital-and-health-care #healthcare #phd

kiley B.’s Avatar
kiley B. Oct 19, 2020 57 views
Samyukta S.’s Avatar
Samyukta S. Oct 05, 2020 110 views

Can a clinical psychologist also be a psychology professor (at the same time)?

#psychology #professors #professor #phd Edit:- I thought it would be useful if I mentioned the country too (in which I would like to practice/teach). I think, most likely, the...

Samyukta S.’s Avatar
Samyukta S. Sep 07, 2020 262 views

Is psychology a good choice of career?

Hey! Let me tell you a bit about myself. I like helping people A LOT. Understanding and empathizing with people are my dominant qualities. I like learning about human behaviour and cognitive functions. When I'm in a group, I can really absorb the feeling of others, I know when someone is...

#advice #psychologist #career-choice #psychology #phd

Aleksandra B.’s Avatar
Aleksandra B. Jul 29, 2020 152 views

How did you know you wanted to pursue a chem/bio PhD?

Currently, I just finished my first year at Northeastern as a Biochemistry major. I have some experience as a research assistant and would like to volunteer in a lab next semester. I am premed, but there is still some time to think about grad school. I am very interested in research as well,...

#chem #july20 #biology #gradschool #chemistry #phd #bio #research

Allison S.’s Avatar
Allison S. Jul 26, 2020 137 views

What are the main differences between a PsyD and a PhD in psychology? What do schools look at in terms of qualifications for acceptance?

I am a senior undergrad student getting ready to graduate with a B.S. in social sciences this December. I am interested in pursuing a higher degree in psychology, but would like to know the main differences between the PsyD and the PhD. I have heard the main differences are that research...

#gradschoolprograms #psyd #doctorate-degree #july #phd

Hannah M.’s Avatar
Hannah M. May 06, 2020 205 views

Is it a good idea to go PhD program from professional master's program?

I am a graduate student in a professional school. I began the program envisioning being a product manager, but I realized that I wanted to be a scholar than working for a business. Do you think it is wise to pivot my career and throw the investment that I made at the professional school and...

#college #academia #graduate-school #phd

Farooq A.’s Avatar
Farooq A. Apr 16, 2020 133 views

How should I know I need to go for PhD ?

I'm graduate student having professional experience of 2 years, I do want to pursue PhD degree. but cant find the motivation....

#phd

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Sep 16, 2019 194 views

Is it possible to complete a psychology PhD under a faculty member in a different department?

I'm looking into psychology graduate programs, particularly looking for researchers who study sexuality/relationships. People in this area vary in their actual department - for example, some are in sociology, communications, medicine, social work, etc. which vary pretty drastically from psych...

#psychiatry #communications #sociology #admissions #psychology #applications #grad-school #social-work #graduate-school #phd #college #medicine #research

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Aug 15, 2019 263 views

How to handle having depression in a research career?

I'm looking to become a psychology researcher. I understand that research careers can be fairly stressful. However, I've also suffered from depression for a decade and expect I will still be dealing with it when I attain my career. How can I go about handling my illness while also successfully...

#psychiatry #clinical-psychology #stress #psychology #mental-health #highered #science #phd #brain-sciences #passion #mental-illness #depression #research

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Jul 29, 2019 1261 views

How to introduce yourself to a professor you want to study under in *grad school*?

I will be applying to Psychology Ph.D. programs this fall, and I was wondering how best to introduce myself to PIs I want to work with. For example: - What should I include in an email? - What should I say about myself? What should I say about them? - What questions do I need to ask them?...

#application #graduate #psychology #grad-school #doctorate #graduate-school #phd #interview #college #research

Martino F.’s Avatar
Martino F. Mar 01, 2019 183 views

I would like to make a PhD in Computer Science about Robotics or Computational Photography.

Hi, My name is Martino, I have a master degree in Computer Science and I would like to do a PhD in Computational Photography or in Robotics. I don't know how to choose, could you give me some advice? I started to search for a PhD programme but I am not sure where to look, do you have any good...

#phd #robotics #computational-photography #computer-science #machine-learning #science

sabrina V.’s Avatar
sabrina V. Aug 31, 2018 289 views

Is earning a PhD worth the time?

Besides the eventual money payoff, it the investment in all that time and work for school for all those years worth it? #phd #medicine #education #graduate-school...

#college-bound

Taya A.’s Avatar
Taya A. Aug 28, 2018 322 views

Is it worth putting all the time and money into going to medical school?

I am debating either becoming a medical doctor or a PA. I want the pay and title of a doctor. However, I also am not sure I want to spend all the time and money for the education of becoming one. #doctor #doctorate-degree #phd #student-loans #medicine...

#doctors

Oleksandra K.’s Avatar
Oleksandra K. May 09, 2018 440 views

Which countries have opportunities for a very cheap or even free master's or p.h.d?

I'd like to get a masters and a P.h.d. degree in linguistics or asian languages, but can't afford American college fees. Where else can I get these degrees for very cheap or even free? #europe #eastern-europe #asian #asia-pacific #masters #graduate-school #financial-aid #finance #grad-school...

#international #phd

Alex R.’s Avatar
Alex R. May 29, 2018 513 views

What can you do with a Ph.D in physics?

I have always wanted to get a Ph.d. in physics. I planned to do electrical engineering or computer science and then get a Ph.d. in physics. My main issue is that I am not sure what being a physicist entails, aside from academia. I would like to know what someone with a Ph.d. in physics could...

#science-phd #physics #doctorate-degree #science #doctorate #phd