Career Questions tagged Gap Year

Jeanne’s Avatar
Jeanne Oct 02 211 views

When is the best time to start school, I took a gap year since pandemic and I haven't started yet. I have zero idea what to do.

I am a STEM graduate and I took a gap year since 2021. I want to go to an art school but there is no one nearby. I have no job and I want to further my learning but I am stuck.

Danielle’s Avatar
Danielle Apr 08 167 views

Should I do a CS bootcamp during my freshman year of college or take a gap year after high school to do it?

I tend to be comfortable handling heavy work loads but at the same time I don't want to get too stressed out. But I have gotten advice from someone that works in IT that did a bootcamp while in college, they've encouraged me to do the same and that there's no need to take a gap year for it. I...

Riley’s Avatar
Riley Mar 17, 2021 336 views

What do you make in a year?

i am still in highschool #career-choice #career-path #gap-year #career-paths #business #career-choice #career-paths #career-path #gap-year #career-choice #business #career-path #career-paths #gap-year

Kurt’s Avatar
Kurt Nov 21, 2020 628 views

How difficult will it be to accumulate hours, without a gap year for PA school?

I am a high school senior planning to be a physician assistant. I have been reading that the majority of PAs take a gap year or two to work enough hours for a competitive to PA school. I have also read that some worked their hours in their four years of undergrad. Initially, I was planning to...

Cindy’s Avatar
Cindy Nov 13, 2020 387 views

What's the best way to network with professionals you don't know?

I am a gap year student, going to college next year #GivingisCaring #student #gap-year #internships

Alex’s Avatar
Alex Aug 22, 2020 494 views

Recommendations for making the most of gap year(s) before grad school?

I plan on obtaining my master's in counseling within the next few years, but I'd like to take a gap between undergrad and grad. What advice do you have for making the most of these gap years? I'd love to use this time to gain relevant experience, but it seems like entry-level positions that are...

Chris’s Avatar
Chris Aug 02, 2020 411 views

Advice/tips for gap year students?

Hey, I'm an incoming freshman electing to take a gap year due to various concerns. Just curious if there's anything people would recommend -- not only prepare for a successful college career but also as a person in the long run. I'm currently interning in the curitorial department at a museum...

Olivia’s Avatar
Olivia Aug 29, 2018 312 views

Are there negative repurcussions for your career if you take a gap year?

Are there any long term negative consequences from delaying college for a year after graduation? #gap-year

Madison’s Avatar
Madison Aug 25, 2018 384 views

What are the benefits of taking a gap year?

#college #gap-year

kadi’s Avatar
kadi Aug 12, 2018 453 views

are you setting yourself back if you take a gap year from college?

#gap-year

Leonila’s Avatar
Leonila Apr 12, 2018 535 views

Can I apply to dental school and hygiene school at the same time?

I have been put on a wait list to dental schools. I am going to reapply again but I am keeping my options open just in case dental school will not accept me again. I am also going to apply at a hygiene school. ( Note I have all the requirements I needed for dental my scores were not that bad....

Rachel’s Avatar
Rachel Mar 16, 2018 504 views

Are gap years ok to take before med school?

My goal is to go to medical school and become a physician. However, I feel that if I have a little more time, I can get more clinical experience and be a more competitive applicant. Are gap years looked down upon by medical schools?
#medicine #gap-year

Cortney’s Avatar
Cortney Jan 16, 2018 522 views

Is it more logical to go to college first or workforce?

#college #workforce #after-graduation #gap-year

Haddy’s Avatar
Haddy Jan 16, 2018 556 views

How do you take a GAP year?

#gap-year #college #graduation #college-prep #life-transitions

Julia’s Avatar
Julia Jan 16, 2018 436 views

If I take a Gap Year before college, is it better to apply & accept to a college but delay my start date?

If I take a Gap Year, I've heard that I can still apply to college and accept but tell them I'm going to delay my start once I'm accepted. Is this the best way to go.

#gap-year #college #college-prep #college-admissions

Julia’s Avatar
Julia Jan 16, 2018 506 views

Is taking a Gap Year a good idea?

I hear pros and cons to taking a Gap Year. I'm not 100% sure on which major I want to take in college and thought it best to give myself time to find out what I like.

#gap-year #college #college-prep #college-major #life-transitions

Tess’s Avatar
Tess Jan 14, 2018 496 views

How do I know if going to college immediately after high school is the right choice for me?

I attend Lexington High School which is very academically stressful and competitive. I was one of the many students that pushed myself throughout my four years there and now it seems as though it is expected of me to continue doing so in college right away but I am afraid of becoming burnt out...

Sarah’s Avatar
Sarah Sep 01, 2017 552 views

How can you know if it's the right decision to take a gap year before college?

I have been considering taking a gap year before I start college, however, at the same time I feel ready to begin college life. I researched and talk to others but didn't really receive any great advice. How can you make this decision? #travel #maturity #hardchoice #college #college-advice...

elissa’s Avatar
elissa Oct 31, 2016 999 views

Gap Years: Are they worth the hype?

The New York Times discussed Malia Obama's contribution to a 'growing and expensive' gap year trend. Is a gap year a good decision for students who want to learn what life has to offer or is it just a waste of time? Taking into account that a student would do some type of volunteering or...

Danica’s Avatar
Danica May 26, 2016 854 views

Post College Plans

In three years I will have a bachelors degree and I am interested in pursuing a Masters at graduate school. Many people are advising me to take a year or more off in between. However, I am worried that if I do so I will not have the drive to go back to school. I would like to see Europe and...

Shelly’s Avatar
Shelly May 19, 2016 1052 views

How does an individual go about taking a gap year before an Ivy League law school?

How does an individual go about taking a gap year before an Ivy League law school? Do you wait until the end of senior year then apply? Or wait until the gap year has finished? #law #law-school #ivy-league #gap-year

Mary’s Avatar
Mary May 15, 2016 1198 views

If I am unsure of which job field I'm going into, how do I know whether I should go to college? Should I take a gap year?

I am very much considering taking a gap year, however some people around me seem to discourage it. I know I do not want to go into college if I go into a field where it is unnecessary, such as filming, which I am considering. Any suggestions? #college #career #career-choice #careers #gap-year...

Taleya ’s Avatar
Taleya May 05, 2016 793 views

If I take a year off of school, How will it effect my chances of getting into a college or university.

Most adults look down on taking "leap years" but I believe that it may be a good idea for some people. #gap-year

Alisha’s Avatar
Alisha May 02, 2016 986 views

How does a GAP year after high school affect my career?

Due to me moving countries, after high school, I was unable to enroll and start at a university. #college #gap-year

Alexis’s Avatar
Alexis Mar 10, 2014 1371 views

What are the advantages of taking a gap-year?

I am intrigued in what people have to say for this because I have thought about taking a year off before I enter college. I am interested in having a career in the medical field, but am also interested in film-making. I was thinking I could either do some volunteer work during this time or...

Joan’s Avatar
Joan Feb 21, 2014 3996 views

Does it affect my job prospects if I take a gap year before college?

I'm wondering whether it would be a bad thing for my career if I took a gap year between high school and college. I'm interested in working in medicine, but I'm not sure if that will be as a doctor or as a researcher. But I'd like to go internationally at some point, and deferring my college...

Laetitia Tiani’s Avatar
Laetitia Tiani Mar 01, 2013 2823 views

Is it better to take a gap year before or after college for an international program?

I am a high school senior interested in international health care. I would love to take a gap year and travel to help in a developing nation. However, I am not sure if such experience is better after gaining more knowledge with my undergrad or now, fresh out of high school. The program is...