Career questions tagged gap-year

User Avatar
undefined's avatar
Ava335 views

What extracurriculars/community college classes should I take to prepare for 2 different gap years and a Psychology PhD?

Hi there! I am a high school junior starting in August 2024. I intend to take a gap year to experience new cultures/widen my horizons then get my Psychology undergrad, take a gap year to self-reflect and gain research experience, and then return to get my Psychology PhD. The career path I have chosen is a post-secondary Psychology teacher (a psychology professor). What extracurriculars or college classes (community college classes during my next 2 years of high school as well as possibly online during my 1st gap year) would you recommend I participate in? (Some context: I have chosen to do my first gap year in Thailand or Indonesia and my second somewhere in Europe or Asia - the second one is undecided).

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Ava301 views

Would it be weird if I took two gap years?

I have been asking many questions lately about whether I should take my gap year after High School like many people do or after getting my bachelor's before my PhD in Psychology to be a Psychology professor. With all of the different advice I'm getting I have been wondering if I should just do both. Thoughts?

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Ava203 views

Where should I take my gap year?

Hello there! I am a high school junior starting in August 2024 and I intend on taking a gap year while taking some online gen-ed classes but I don't know where to go. Some things to know: - I don't like insects, so just as few as possible but I'm flexible - AC please <3 - I LOVE the ocean, swimming, lakes, waterfalls, swimming. Really any water (: - I grew up in stereotypical California so similar weather conditions would be awesome, just not the desert or Antarctica LOL

answer icon2 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Ava333 views

When should I take my gap year?

Hello there! I am a high school junior in August 2024 and want to take a gap year, but I intend to get a Psychology PhD. So should I take my gap year right out of high school or between my undergrad and PhD program? I just don't want it to be harder to get into a college because I didn't apply out of high school where I have a lot of support versus on my own after a gap year.

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Ava394 views

What high school and community college classes or extracurriculars should I do to prepare for a Psychology PhD and gap year?

Hi there! I am a high school junior starting August 2024 and I intend on getting my Psychology undergrad, taking a gap year to travel, then returning to get my Psychology PhD. The career path I have chosen is a post-secondary Psychology teacher (a psychology professor). What classes or extracurriculars would you recommend in high school to prepare me? I am a little lost on what classes will be helpful in the long run.

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
L262 views

Is a gap year worth the break from college?

Or is it dependent on your field/major

answer icon5 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Jasmine183 views

Is taking a gap year to work a good idea?

I was planning on taking a gap year, but my family is telling me not to. The thing is, I want to work in a Veterinary Clinic to see if I like it. Or should I do my General Ed at least.

answer icon2 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Ashley159 views

Why did you or did you not take a gap year after completing your bachelor's in social work and what was your experience like with the choice you made? #Spring24

For those completing their bachelor's in social work, did you go straight to graduate school or did you take a gap year and why? I know it's a common dilemma but I'm mostly worried about finding a job so I'm thinking of going straight to grad school but I'm also worried about having to take out more loans. #Spring24

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Levi321 views

Should I take a GAP year to save up for college?

I can't decide if I want to take a GAP year or get a job during college

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Diamond1176 views

What's the smartest thing to do during a gap year to help with college in the coming future?

What's the smartest thing to do during a gap year to help with college ?

answer icon12 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Milan542 views

Do you think college is important to go to If so, why?

I am a sophomore in high school and I'm trying to figure out if it would really benefit me to go to college.

answer icon12 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Angela281 views

Is a gap year a good idea even though I already pretty much know what I want to do?

I have a plan that isn't completely thought out yet, but it's still a thought. The plan is to take a gap year to work and make money to get my foot out of the door. Though I am still unsure about it.

answer icon2 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
camila549 views

Gap years?

Why, do people reccomend not taking gap years after high school?

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Drea476 views

Should I take a gap year ?

Should I take a gap year if so why or why not? I will graduate with two years college credit due to dual enrollment and I know that it will be difficult or tiring so by no means would I be behind because I’d be two years ahead

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Anya499 views

What are the benefits of taking a gap year instead of going straight to college?

Because taking a gap year is one of the options for when after students graduate high school, I want to know the benefits of taking one.

answer icon7 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Zoe337 views

How hard is it to get into a college after taking a gap year?

I want to go to a good school but I'm not prepared (mentally or financially) to go this year. I want to go into journalism/communications if that helps :)

answer icon2 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
CareerVillage Office Hours389 views

What are the different ways you could spend a gap year after getting your Bachelor's Degree?

This question is a part of our professionals series

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
raina422 views

Would you suggest taking a gap year?

I've heard people saying that taking a gap year helped them figure out what they wanted to pursue, since they had more time to find more about themselves, but other people said that it just burned them out. Any suggestions?

answer icon5 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Alexis1052 views

What is some advice for someone taking a gap year and then going to school for their master's?

been in college for 5 years and I want to take a break to go into a masters program.

answer icon19 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Jeanne570 views

When is the best time to start school, I took a gap year since pandemic and I haven't started yet. I have zero idea what to do.

I am a STEM graduate and I took a gap year since 2021. I want to go to an art school but there is no one nearby. I have no job and I want to further my learning but I am stuck.

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Danielle599 views

Should I do a CS bootcamp during my freshman year of college or take a gap year after high school to do it?

I tend to be comfortable handling heavy work loads but at the same time I don't want to get too stressed out. But I have gotten advice from someone that works in IT that did a bootcamp while in college, they've encouraged me to do the same and that there's no need to take a gap year for it. I may have plans to travel during my gap year but I think it would be better to take an abroad program.

answer icon5 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Riley638 views

What do you make in a year?

i am still in highschool #career-choice #career-path #gap-year #career-paths #business #career-choice #career-paths #career-path #gap-year #career-choice #business #career-path #career-paths #gap-year

answer icon7 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Kurt1751 views

How difficult will it be to accumulate hours, without a gap year for PA school?

I am a high school senior planning to be a physician assistant. I have been reading that the majority of PAs take a gap year or two to work enough hours for a competitive to PA school. I have also read that some worked their hours in their four years of undergrad. Initially, I was planning to work my hours in undergrad because I just want to go straight to PA school. Now, I am thinking about the quality of my college experience. I want to be able to enjoy my social life, while participating in a handful of extracurriculars (orchestra, cultural clubs, games, etc...), and still maintaining a high GPA for PA school. I am thinking that this might be very difficult and bad for my mental health if I try to add on about 2,000 hours of PCE/HCE hours in four years. However, if it is possible to do all these activities while getting my hours I want to pursue the challenge. Can anyone speak speak on taking a gap year vs. going straight to PA/grad school and what their undergraduate experience was? #gap-year #physicianassistant #pa #worklifebalance #balance #medicine #medical #workingstudy #schooling #timemanagement

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Cindy731 views

What's the best way to network with professionals you don't know?

I am a gap year student, going to college next year #GivingisCaring #student #gap-year #internships

answer icon12 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Alex1136 views

Recommendations for making the most of gap year(s) before grad school?

I plan on obtaining my master's in counseling within the next few years, but I'd like to take a gap between undergrad and grad. What advice do you have for making the most of these gap years? I'd love to use this time to gain relevant experience, but it seems like entry-level positions that are related to counseling and only require a bachelor's degree are hard to come by. Thanks in advance for your input! #graduate-school #counseling #gap-year

answer icon7 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Chris717 views

Advice/tips for gap year students?

Hey, I'm an incoming freshman electing to take a gap year due to various concerns. Just curious if there's anything people would recommend -- not only prepare for a successful college career but also as a person in the long run. I'm currently interning in the curitorial department at a museum (since I'm interested in art history) and may tutor some U.S. History if possible. I'm just worried that I won't be able to write frequently and precisely during my gap year as if I were in an academic setting(English is not my native language, but I went to a U.S. boarding school & college). Thank you so much in advance for your kindness :)) #gap-year #art-history

answer icon5 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Olivia597 views

Are there negative repurcussions for your career if you take a gap year?

Are there any long term negative consequences from delaying college for a year after graduation? #gap-year

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Madison638 views

What are the benefits of taking a gap year?

#college #gap-year

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
kadi757 views

are you setting yourself back if you take a gap year from college?

#gap-year

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Leonila960 views

Can I apply to dental school and hygiene school at the same time?

I have been put on a wait list to dental schools. I am going to reapply again but I am keeping my options open just in case dental school will not accept me again. I am also going to apply at a hygiene school. ( Note I have all the requirements I needed for dental my scores were not that bad. I have numerous hours of dental shadowing and volunteerism and many years experience as a dental assistance. Very competitive entrance. ) I would gladly to hear some inputs. #dental-school #hygiene-school #school-counseling #gap-year #student-counseling

answer icon1 answers
Active
location icon