Career Questions tagged Gap Year

Alex S.’s Avatar
Alex S. Aug 22 141 views

Recommendations for making the most of gap year(s) before grad school?

I plan on obtaining my master's in counseling within the next few years, but I'd like to take a gap between undergrad and grad. What advice do you have for making the most of these gap years? I'd love to use this time to gain relevant experience, but it seems like entry-level positions that are...

#counseling #graduate-school #gap-year

Chris Z.’s Avatar
Chris Z. Aug 02 116 views

Advice/tips for gap year students?

Hey, I'm an incoming freshman electing to take a gap year due to various concerns. Just curious if there's anything people would recommend -- not only prepare for a successful college career but also as a person in the long run. I'm currently interning in the curitorial department at a museum...

#gap-year #art-history

Olivia W.’s Avatar
Olivia W. Aug 29, 2018 155 views

Are there negative repurcussions for your career if you take a gap year?

Are there any long term negative consequences from delaying college for a year after graduation?...

#gap-year

Madison S.’s Avatar
Madison S. Aug 25, 2018 187 views
kadi D.’s Avatar
kadi D. Aug 12, 2018 208 views
Rachel J.’s Avatar
Rachel J. Mar 16, 2018 269 views

Are gap years ok to take before med school?

My goal is to go to medical school and become a physician. However, I feel that if I have a little more time, I can get more clinical experience and be a more competitive applicant. Are gap years looked down upon by medical schools? #medicine...

#gap-year

Cortney L.’s Avatar
Cortney L. Jan 16, 2018 276 views
Haddy J.’s Avatar
Haddy J. Jan 16, 2018 291 views
Julia P.’s Avatar
Julia P. Jan 16, 2018 236 views

If I take a Gap Year before college, is it better to apply & accept to a college but delay my start date?

If I take a Gap Year, I've heard that I can still apply to college and accept but tell them I'm going to delay my start once I'm accepted. Is this the best way to go. #gap-year #college #college-prep...

#college-admissions

Julia P.’s Avatar
Julia P. Jan 16, 2018 306 views

Is taking a Gap Year a good idea?

I hear pros and cons to taking a Gap Year. I'm not 100% sure on which major I want to take in college and thought it best to give myself time to find out what I like. #gap-year #college #college-prep #college-major...

#life-transitions

Tess J.’s Avatar
Tess J. Jan 14, 2018 277 views

How do I know if going to college immediately after high school is the right choice for me?

I attend Lexington High School which is very academically stressful and competitive. I was one of the many students that pushed myself throughout my four years there and now it seems as though it is expected of me to continue doing so in college right away but I am afraid of becoming burnt out...

#life-transitions #gap-year #college

Leonila D.’s Avatar
Leonila D. Apr 12, 2018 259 views

Can I apply to dental school and hygiene school at the same time?

I have been put on a wait list to dental schools. I am going to reapply again but I am keeping my options open just in case dental school will not accept me again. I am also going to apply at a hygiene school. ( Note I have all the requirements I needed for dental my scores were not that bad....

#dental-school #student-counseling #school-counseling #hygiene-school #gap-year

Bella D.’s Avatar
Bella D. Jan 20, 2018 326 views

Is it smart to take a gap year to work and apply for better schools next year?

I missed out on a lot of deadlines because I didn't want to go to a prestigious school, but now I'm reconsidering. If I take a gap year, can I apply next fall? How much more difficult will that be? #college...

#gap-year

Sarah M.’s Avatar
Sarah M. Sep 01, 2017 336 views

How can you know if it's the right decision to take a gap year before college?

I have been considering taking a gap year before I start college, however, at the same time I feel ready to begin college life. I researched and talk to others but didn't really receive any great advice. How can you make this decision? #travel #maturity #hardchoice #college #college-advice...

#gap-year

Mary R.’s Avatar
Mary R. May 15, 2016 889 views

If I am unsure of which job field I'm going into, how do I know whether I should go to college? Should I take a gap year?

I am very much considering taking a gap year, however some people around me seem to discourage it. I know I do not want to go into college if I go into a field where it is unnecessary, such as filming, which I am considering. Any suggestions? #college #career #career-choice #careers #gap-year...

#undecided

elissa G.’s Avatar
elissa G. Oct 31, 2016 783 views

Gap Years: Are they worth the hype?

The New York Times discussed Malia Obama's contribution to a 'growing and expensive' gap year trend. Is a gap year a good decision for students who want to learn what life has to offer or is it just a waste of time? Taking into account that a student would do some type of volunteering or...

#volunteering #college-applications #college #work-life-balance #travel #gap-year

Shelly K.’s Avatar
Shelly K. May 19, 2016 794 views

How does an individual go about taking a gap year before an Ivy League law school?

How does an individual go about taking a gap year before an Ivy League law school? Do you wait until the end of senior year then apply? Or wait until the gap year has finished? #law #law-school #ivy-league...

#gap-year

Danica F.’s Avatar
Danica F. May 26, 2016 578 views

Post College Plans

In three years I will have a bachelors degree and I am interested in pursuing a Masters at graduate school. Many people are advising me to take a year or more off in between. However, I am worried that if I do so I will not have the drive to go back to school. I would like to see Europe and...

#masters #travel #graduate-school #gap-year

Taleya  L.’s Avatar
Taleya L. May 05, 2016 552 views

If I take a year off of school, How will it effect my chances of getting into a college or university.

Most adults look down on taking "leap years" but I believe that it may be a good idea for some people....

#gap-year

Alisha S.’s Avatar
Alisha S. May 02, 2016 663 views

How does a GAP year after high school affect my career?

Due to me moving countries, after high school, I was unable to enroll and start at a university. #college...

#gap-year

Alexis F.’s Avatar
Alexis F. Mar 10, 2014 1136 views

What are the advantages of taking a gap-year?

I am intrigued in what people have to say for this because I have thought about taking a year off before I enter college. I am interested in having a career in the medical field, but am also interested in film-making. I was thinking I could either do some volunteer work during this time or...

#film-making #advice #medicine #college #high-school #gap-year

Joan C.’s Avatar
Joan C. Feb 21, 2014 3250 views

Does it affect my job prospects if I take a gap year before college?

I'm wondering whether it would be a bad thing for my career if I took a gap year between high school and college. I'm interested in working in medicine, but I'm not sure if that will be as a doctor or as a researcher. But I'd like to go internationally at some point, and deferring my college...

#healthcare #gap-year #college

Laetitia Tiani V.’s Avatar
Laetitia Tiani V. Mar 01, 2013 2253 views

Is it better to take a gap year before or after college for an international program?

I am a high school senior interested in international health care. I would love to take a gap year and travel to help in a developing nation. However, I am not sure if such experience is better after gaining more knowledge with my undergrad or now, fresh out of high school. The program is...

#college #healthcare #gap-year #international