Career Questions tagged Linguistics

maddie’s Avatar
maddie Nov 21, 2022 182 views

Which major is better for the study of Asian Languages???

Hello, I am currently thinking about what I am going to be majoring in. I would like to be able to learn Asian languages (Japanese, Korean, etc.). I have done some research and I see there are so many options to choose from. I could major in Korean, Japanese, Asian Studies, or Linguistics. I am...

Corina’s Avatar
Corina May 27, 2021 293 views

What non-research careers do you recommend for linguistics majors?

I'm currently studying English and Linguistics and hear a lot about the research aspect of linguistics studies. I am curious how to apply linguistics to careers that involve working with people. #teaching #linguistics #people

Cecelia’s Avatar
Cecelia Jul 17, 2020 398 views

What does a career in linguistics look like?

#linguistics #July20 #language #career

Tania’s Avatar
Tania Mar 31, 2019 1324 views

What careers can a degree in linguistics get you?

#linguistics #language

Josseline’s Avatar
Josseline Aug 27, 2018 680 views

What are some hardships a FBI linguist/Foreign language expert experiences and has to overcome?

I am curious to know about their job, financial and language learning hardships.
#language #fbi #linguist #linguistics #language #law-enforcement #police #foreign-language #foreign-languages #criminal-justice

Sarina’s Avatar
Sarina Aug 10, 2018 585 views

Linguistic majors with bachelor's degrees, what struggles did you face once you tried to enter the workforce?

I'm considering pursuing a Linguistics major for my BA. I've read that it's quite hard to get a job unless you also have Computer Science minor/double major paired with Linguistics, which isn't quite my plan, though I'm considering pairing Linguistics with CS if it becomes clear that pursuing...

Sarina’s Avatar
Sarina Aug 07, 2018 643 views

What's a good major to pursue if you have an AA degree in Health Sciences General Studies and you enjoy subjects involving English/Writing?

By 18, if I work hard enough, I should have an AA degree in Health Sciences General Studies, though now I'm wondering if I still want to pursue a career focused entirely on health. I've always struggled with math, which as I've found is quite involved in this field, making me reconsider my...

Lia’s Avatar
Lia May 23, 2018 554 views

What kind of jobs would people with a doctorate in linguistics get?

#college #english #linguistics

Lia’s Avatar
Lia May 23, 2018 458 views

What kind of jobs would fit a double major in linguistics and business?

#majors #college-major #college-majors #double-major #major #linguistics #business

Abbey’s Avatar
Abbey May 18, 2018 1411 views

Ways to combine music and linguistics/foreign language?

I love piano; I also love languages, both learning to speak them and also learning about the more analytical/scientific aspect (i.e. linguistics). I wanted to know if there were any jobs that could combine the two? Entrepreneurship perhaps?
#music #linguistics #foreign-language #entrepreneurship

Oleksandra’s Avatar
Oleksandra May 09, 2018 669 views

What kind of jobs can linguistics/Asian languages majors have in government?

I'm interested in Asian languages and linguistics. In U.S., Asian, Russian, and/or Ukrainian governments, what kind of jobs can I expect? Are diplomacy or translation the only options? #asian #asian-languages #asia-pacific #asianstudies #russia #russian #Ukraine #government #japanese #chinese...

Connor’s Avatar
Connor Apr 29, 2018 519 views

I'm planning on studying Linguistics, and would love to learn new languages while I do so. Is there any language certifications I can get at a State level to put on my CV without having to take a class?

I'd like to learn languages without having to take a class because I can work at my own pace and study what I want in a language at any point in time. However, I feel that having a certification or award would look better on a resume than just self reporting. If you could give me ideas about...

Lexi’s Avatar
Lexi Apr 27, 2018 442 views

Are there jobs available for Linguistics majors?

I've been passionate about language for the majority of my life, and I've finally settled on my major. Linguistics with an emphasis in English is my passion, but I assume the jobs are limited since I hadn't heard of this degree before applying to college. Any #linguistics fanatics care to...

Ty'Bria’s Avatar
Ty'Bria Apr 24, 2018 633 views

What are some jobs that involve linguistics and journalism?

Well for one right now I am only a sophomore in high school and I'm kinda looking into colleges where I can study these topics. I just don't know if there is a lot that offers that in the work force #journalism #linguistics .

Léane’s Avatar
Léane Apr 10, 2018 482 views

Humanities part time job

Starting September, I'm going to be an #international student in the US, so I'm gonna be studying with a F1 visa and this visa only allows me to work outside of campus in my study field, I'm probably going to major in #humanities (my preferred subjects are #linguistics and #film), what part...

Kilbert’s Avatar
Kilbert Apr 04, 2018 575 views

How many opportunities are there for a linguistic major in Massachusetts, specifically Boston.

#linguistics #language #boston #Massachusetts

Léane’s Avatar
Léane Apr 03, 2018 579 views

Study linguistics, then what?

I'm really interested in #linguistics, mostly the history of speech and languages, how words became to mean certain things etc. What career options will I have after I graduate in this field? Research? #career

Hannah’s Avatar
Hannah Mar 26, 2018 695 views

Which careers should I look into?

My interests include linguistics, english, writing, editing, and psychology. Additionally, I really enjoy learning new things and researching. I also enjoy explaining things to others and tutoring. Are there any careers out there that might suit these interests? #linguistics #english...

Léane’s Avatar
Léane Mar 19, 2018 578 views

Jobs with a humanities degree

I'm considering majoring in #Humanities, but I don't think I'd be a good human resources, I'm not really sure what I'd like to do, but I'm interested in #linguistics, and maybe #anthropology , are these part of humanity? What courses are part of Humanities ?

Jessica’s Avatar
Jessica Jan 21, 2018 552 views

What is the best way to deal with people misunderstanding your field?

I'm studying Linguistics, and I've seen many businesses post openings for a "linguist" when what they actually want is a translator. Since people often misunderstand the relevance of the work that linguists do, what is a good way to counteract that and find jobs relevant to what I'm actually...

Kyle’s Avatar
Kyle Sep 28, 2017 723 views

What opportunities are there available for those interested in linguistics?

I'm interested in language and literature. What sorts of work could I get involved in?

#english-literature #linguistics #language #literature #career-counseling

Savannah’s Avatar
Savannah Sep 01, 2017 544 views

What can I actually do with my degree?

I plan on majoring in linguistics and whenever I tell someone that I always get "what kind of jobs are there for a linguist?" Honestly, I don't know. So what CAN I do with my degree? What kind of jobs are suited to my studies?
#linguist #linguistics #what-kind-of-jobs-can-i-expect.

Karla’s Avatar
Karla Aug 31, 2017 472 views

How can I get aid to go to college in South Korea?

I am really wanting to go & study at Yonsei University in South Korea. #forensic-anthropologist #linguistics #yonseiuniversity #southkorea #study-abroad #financial-aid

Connor’s Avatar
Connor May 30, 2017 677 views

What are some careers should I research?

My plan right now is go to a junior college for two years, get an AA, then either go to a local (CA) university or state school and take part in an exchange program to France, or directly sign up for university in France. The reason why I am focused on France, is because I really love the...

Sarah’s Avatar
Sarah Apr 10, 2017 1531 views

How can I get na internship at Google, Apple, or Amazon?

I am interested in learning languages and could take a coding class if necessary. I want to know if the above companies can use someone who is interested in languages and if they have internship opportunities. I can speak Turkish and am working on learning sign language. #computer-science...

Kelly’s Avatar
Kelly Mar 25, 2017 1951 views

Should my resume be bilingual or monolingual?

I am applying for internships in linguistics, translation and languages-related fields. I live in Montreal, which is a very bilingual city. I am wondering if it is perceived as too much to send my cv in double in order to send it in both French and English. If I should send a single version,...

Kelly’s Avatar
Kelly Mar 25, 2017 938 views

How does a professional in an office job deal with anxiety attacks or major depressive days?

I am a university student dealing with a General Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. I have had to take a reduced course load this semester in order to take care of my mental health. I am worried about oversleeping or having panic attacks at work once I graduate and start an entry-level job....

Kimberly’s Avatar
Kimberly Dec 22, 2016 732 views

I am a student of linguistics in a Bachelor of Arts program. What jobs can will I qualify for after graduation?

I would like to pursue a career in technology. #programming #information-technology #linguistics

Terrance’s Avatar
Terrance Aug 27, 2016 1385 views

Just how helpful is a second language really?

Everyone knows about being a translator but this is overrated,plain and old news. What kind of interesting and worth while things are there.

#business #art #fashion #photography #entertainment #linguistics #martial-arts #landscape-architecture

Manon’s Avatar
Manon May 23, 2016 872 views

Is the knowledge of foreign languages beneficial in obtaining a higher-paying job, most especially in accounting, and which languages would be most beneficial to know?

I am currently a rising high school senior, and I am still trying to review the best options of study for a successful career. I believe that I may want to study to be an accountant, but I also love foreign languages and working with those people with different cultural and language...