What can I actually do with my degree?

2

I plan on majoring in linguistics and whenever I tell someone that I always get "what kind of jobs are there for a linguist?" Honestly, I don't know. So what CAN I do with my degree? What kind of jobs are suited to my studies?
#linguist #linguistics #what-kind-of-jobs-can-i-expect.

2

Marina’s Answer

0
Well, 'linguist' is a very wide definition of what job you can actually be doing. Aside from writing, teaching and translating/interpreting, there are jobs that are kind of in between linguistics and another discipline, like therapy, forensics, computational linguistics. For the latter, in the industry they usually want you to develop various language systems (conversational agents, voice assistants, search, to name a few), which requires solid math, statistics and programming skills. It is an exciting field which is not going to disappear in the coming decades at least, so if working with language inspires you, you might wanna consider exactly which aspect you like about it and then decide on the specialization.
0