Caleb B.

239

4

How fit do you have to be for a software developer

I am a 6th grader and i'm really good at developing software it's easy to do this so all I need is to and I can but I need to know only because I think I am getting fat and I need to know how fit do you have to be. #software-development

1 comment Click to expand

Your fitness should not be a concerned to do your work in software development. However it can be of concern in terms of maintaining and leading a healthy lifestyle. If you do not take care of your body at the end of the day it will disown you. Eat healthy, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep and you will become a great software developer.

Last updated Feb 21 '17 at 13:27

There isn't a minimum level of fitness required, but you're going to want to spend some time moving your body since being a developer will involve a lot of time in front of the computer, usually sitting or sometimes standing if you have a standing work station. You will want to do some sort of regular physical activity (remember walking counts as exercise too) and do some exercises and stretches that will help keep the muscles in your arms, hands, back, and neck strong and flexible so you won't have so many aches and pains. What will be the most important while you are at work, is just remembering to get up, stretch your arms, and move around periodically.

Last updated Feb 24 '17 at 00:51

Not very. Most developers I worked with were kind of antisocial. They kept to themselves. However the new Agile Development Method that most companies are turning to, requires a team approach, so some developers are finding it difficult to make the change from being isolated and left alone to work, to the one where they sit with five or six others and are constantly having to interact. As far as being physically fit, not much is required. You sit on your butt all day. I only saw two of my coworkers in the gym working out the entire fifteen years I worked at one company. Staying fit was not high on most of their priority lists. Some of them did ride bicycles which is fitting as it is a solitary fitness endeavor.
Last updated Oct 24 '17 at 12:11

Fitness is not of concern in software dev. That said, you're young enough to start a healthy path and avoid bad habits. In the past few years, I've seen a handful of engineers have strokes/heart attacks at work because of their unhealthy lifestyle. If you want to be the best at your job, you must take care of your mind, body, and soul. If you neglect any of the three, you're going to hurt the other two. Good luck!!
Last updated Dec 07 '17 at 13:34

Schools Add a schools