Career Questions tagged Software Development

Anina H.’s Avatar
Anina H. Aug 02

I spent most of my software engineering internship not programming. Will that hurt me in interviews for full-time roles?

I'm a CS major in college and I am about to finish up an internship in backend software engineering at a division of a very large tech company. Most of my time was spent reading code, reading documentation, learning to use internal tools, writing configs, writing test cases, minor bug fixes,...

#backend-development #software-development #python #web-development #programming #software-engineering

Anina H.’s Avatar
Anina H. Aug 02

What types of software engineering roles will allow me to spend the most time actually writing code?

Hi everyone. I'm a CS major in college, about to become a senior, and will be looking for a full-time role soon. I feel like I'm on track, and am considering what type of software engineering role I'd like to pursue. One thing that I've learned from my summer internship is how much of software...

Anina H.’s Avatar
Anina H. Aug 02

How much of the time is a backend software engineer actually writing code?

I'm a CS major in college and I am about to finish up a 12-week internship in backend software engineering at a division of a very large tech company. I'm a little surprised at what % of my internship was actually spent writing code: just about 3 of the 12 weeks. The other 9 weeks were mostly...

Zacariah W.’s Avatar
Zacariah W. May 01
Zacariah W.’s Avatar
Zacariah W. May 01
Joshua N.’s Avatar
Joshua N. Apr 08

What does a day in the life of a software developer look like?

I'm really interested in becoming a software developer. What do they do on a day-to-day basis? #software #technology #software-development #software-engineer...

#software-engineering

Anina H.’s Avatar
Anina H. Feb 20

Which software team should I pick for my summer internship?

I've been using CareerVillage ever since high school to get help, and I feel like I'm finally close to the finish line.. I'm a junior in college majoring in Computer Science at a well-known school. I accepted a backend software engineering internship for this summer, and I was recently sent a...

#software-development #software #technology #software-engineer

Kathy M.’s Avatar
Kathy M. Dec 12, 2018

I'm considering web development, database administration, and software development/programming. How can I tell which area would be right for me?

#software-development #computer-software #programming #technology I have a bachelor's degree unrelated to CS. I'm looking at either a boot camp, an AAS degree or maybe another bachelor's in CS. My kids are almost out of high school so I'm looking for a big change and something I can really...

Cassia T.’s Avatar
Cassia T. Aug 16, 2018

What steps do I need to take to get an international internship?

I am a junior Computer Engineering major. I am currently learning German as a second language and one of my goals is to have a software development internship in Germany. I have been applying for internships and looking for international ones, but I would like to hear if there are any specific...

#german #software-development #internships #computer-engineering #second-language

Cassia T.’s Avatar
Cassia T. Aug 16, 2018

What should I do to get an internship during winter break?

I am a rising junior majoring in Computer Engineering. I would like to use my winter break effectively by getting an relevant internship to occupy that time. I've heard that's it's incredibly difficult to do so, though. I've been googling "software development winter break internships" and...

#software-development #technology #internship #internships #computer-engineering #career #career-development

Caleb B.’s Avatar
Caleb B. Feb 23, 2017

I have two jobs and I don't know witch one to pick

Hi i'm Caleb and my dad has a job that I wont to do but I also wont to develop soft ware how can I pick witch one #software-development #jobs #career-counseling...

#career-development

Thomas G.’s Avatar
Thomas G. Apr 04, 2018

What are the best coding languages to learn?

I am looking to be a CS major in college, and I am wondering what languages would be worth learning for optimal success. #coding #software-development #computer-science...

#technology

Caleb B.’s Avatar
Caleb B. Feb 23, 2017

When I make software and people get angry how should I deal with that?

Hi I'm am Caleb and people get mad at me and I try and calm them down but it doesn't work how can I manage this? #software-development...

#people-management

zainab H.’s Avatar
zainab H. Sep 26, 2017

Can anyone working in the computer science field provide info about their life as a computer scientist and the schooling you went through to graduate?

i have an assignment that requires me to find a person working in the computer science field . I have to know details about the day in the life of a computer scientist, and also know what schooling you went through to become a computer scientist. I need someone who works in ontario, and someone...

#web-design #technology #software-engineering #programming #computer-science #computer-software #computer-engineering #computer #software #computer-programming #tech #computer-engineer #software-development #engineer #college #engineering

Thompson B.’s Avatar
Thompson B. Feb 24, 2017

Is proficiency in Java enough to get you placed in good company?

I'm a graduate student(MS Computer Science) and I'm gonna be graduating in a year and a half and I wanted to know if there is any skill that I must have besides Java. I would like to know what are the other programming languages/skills that any employer can expect from a potential employee with...

#java #job-application #personal-development #android #software #software-development #development #career-details #career #computer-software

Gloria S.’s Avatar
Gloria S. Oct 09, 2016

Any set of skills that someone should have when pursuing software development?

I was just hoping for someone to answer with a set of skills that someone should already have and then what they will be gaining when pursuing software development. I happen to think software development is interesting, so I was just wondering some stuff about it. #software-engineering...

#software-design #skills #personal-development #software-development #software-documentation #career-details

Eric B.’s Avatar
Eric B. Jan 24, 2017

What are good ways for a recent graduate to make up for lack of experience when trying to get their first job in computer programming?

I will be graduating soon, and due to personal circumstances and the local economy, I've been unable to get an internship. I worry that this will prevent me from getting a good job when I graduate. How can I make up for this lack of experience on my resume? #computer-software #software...

#job-application #personal-development #software-engineering #information-technology #hiring #software-development #career-details #programming

Thomas G.’s Avatar
Thomas G. May 25, 2017
Thomas G.’s Avatar
Thomas G. Jun 01, 2017

Why would it be a good idea to become a video game designer?

I want to know a few good reasons that would support the career choice of becoming a video game designer. #computer-software #computer #software #video-games #software-development #computer-games #video-production...

#career-details

Precious E.’s Avatar
Precious E. Jul 10, 2017

What does the job of a computer systems analyst entail?

I would like to get a more detailed description of what it means to be a systems analyst. Is it feasible to work as a freelance contractor? What industries/Offices can you work in? What are examples of the systems to be analyzed? Does it require/involve proficient knowledge of programming...

#information-technology #business-analysis #software-development #career-details

Tushar G.’s Avatar
Tushar G. Jun 25, 2017

Which college is preferred for an undergraduate student for computer science courses ?

Respected @lionel Silberman @ollie Jones and @matt Manuel sir , I am a student from India I am sure that after my high school I will be studying in any country other than india so I was a bit confused about which country and which college would be best for me as I am a 85-95 % scorer and...

#software-development #game-development #engineering #computer-software #software-engineering

Sam P.’s Avatar
Sam P. May 03, 2016

How do I become a software engineer?

I'm doing my 10th and what do i after that #computer-software #software #software-engineering...

#software-development

vamshi P.’s Avatar
vamshi P. May 18, 2016

who is the father of the computer?

preethi M.’s Avatar
preethi M. Mar 20, 2017