Career Questions tagged Data Science

Jessica W.’s Avatar
Jessica W. Oct 07 53 views

What does an average day look like for a data scientist?

Hi! My name is Jessica. I would like to get a sense of the daily routine of a data scientist to see if this is what I want to do in the future. Thank you!...

data-science

Fakaiha Z.’s Avatar
Fakaiha Z. Oct 03 104 views

How should I independently prepare for a future degree and career in computer science while still in high school?

I'm currently a junior in high school, doing IB. Most of my IB subjects are irrelevant to CS (English, French, chemistry, biology, philosophy, psychology) except for math. In math, I am learning algebra, functions, geometry and trigonometry, probability and statistics, and calculus. So aside...

roadmap technology cybersecurity online-resources university-prep math software university data-science high-school computer-science science

Jessica W.’s Avatar
Jessica W. Sep 17 108 views

What are some extracurricular activities if I want to be a data scientist?

I’m a senior and I was wondering what I should be doing or consider doing in high school or outside of school so that it would get me ready for data science. What are some resources that can help?...

data-science

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 12 298 views

What does a technical interview entail?

I've made it past the first round of interviews for a research lab I'm interested in, and the next step is for a PI to reach out to schedule a technical interview. I have no idea what a technical interview is, or how to prepare! I'm a physics student and would be working in acoustics or...

acoustics technical-interview research internship research-lab signal-processing interviewing physics data-science interviews applications

Ethan A.’s Avatar
Ethan A. Mar 25, 2020 484 views

With COVID-19 happening, how can I get a job in the following fields: data, analytics, or business?

I am a college freshman who has experience in all three of these fields through internships, research positions, and other leadership opportunities. I'm wondering how the virus will effect me being able to get a job/internship in the future? covid-19 data-science analytics data-analytics...

business

Joshua K.’s Avatar
Joshua K. Mar 23, 2020 304 views

what are some approaches you can take to find a decent job in the midst of this unprecedented event?

I am currently looking for a data analyst and data scientist internship position for this upcoming summer 2020, possibly in the West LA area. I wanted to know how I can improve my chances of getting an internship/job covid-19 internship data-analysis...

data-science

Aun M.’s Avatar
Aun M. Mar 03, 2020 409 views

What Would a Typical Day of a Machine Learning Engineer Consist of, and How Does it Compare to Other Engineering Fields?

After looking at most of my choices, I believe that my interests lie in software engineering, hardware engineering, mechanical engineering, and machine learning engineer. I've always been told that a role as a machine learning is quite complex, and can often be handled by very few individuals...

engineering data-science technology computer-science career-advice

Aun M.’s Avatar
Aun M. Mar 01, 2020 390 views

How Should I Start Learning about Machine Learning at the Age of 15?

I don't want to be jumping all over the place, but this is just to keep in the side of my mind as I refine my web development skills and learn the general tools that a full-stack engineer utilizes. At 15, how do you recommend I begin to take interest in machine learning? I've always found it...

engineering data-science technology computer computer-science

Guanlong F.’s Avatar
Guanlong F. Apr 01, 2019 357 views

What is the job market for entry-level data scientist right now?

I am looking for a data science job, but it looks like there are less entry level postings than senior level postings. data-science computer-science job-search...

job-market

J F.’s Avatar
J F. Mar 05, 2019 361 views

Is a MS/MCS degree necessary to work in machine learning engineering

I've seen that quite a few machine-learning job listings prefer or require graduate degrees. How important is it to get a graduate degree if I want to work in this field? Also, does the professional Master of Computer Science (MCS) degree give me as much of a competitive advantage as MS in...

computer-science data-science tech

Guanlong F.’s Avatar
Guanlong F. Feb 28, 2019 467 views

How to become a successful Data scientist?

How to become a successful Data scientist? tech data-science...

career

Pratik G.’s Avatar
Pratik G. Feb 27, 2019 392 views

How should I build my Data Science Portfolio to find a job?

I have a Bachelor's Degree in CS, 4 years of work experience and currently pursuing MS, Business Analytics from The University of Texas at Dallas. I want to build a strong portfolio for Data Science Jobs. I am seeking a mentor to help me work on some good projects or provide guidance....

machine-learning job data-analytics data-science

Dagmawit D.’s Avatar
Dagmawit D. Mar 31, 2018 1029 views
Albert P.’s Avatar
Albert P. Mar 26, 2018 672 views

What is the difference between data science and machine learning?

I've been looking into data science careers, and I know that it is closely related with machine learning and big data. I'm confused as to what the difference between data science and machine learning is, and also how big data plays in a part in both fields. What exactly is data science and...

data-analysis data-mining computer-software big-data data-visualization data-science data machine-learning computer-science

Albert P.’s Avatar
Albert P. Mar 26, 2018 786 views

What are the best data science courses/nanodegrees I can take online?

I'm currently a third year computer science major, and I've recently discovered a passion for data science and machine learning. I've been trying to learn more about it, and I've found many online resources (Udacity's data analyst, machine learning nano degrees, Stanford's Intro to Machine...

Albert P.’s Avatar
Albert P. Jan 23, 2018 728 views

How do I get started in the field of data science/big data/machine learning?

I'm a third year computer science major, and I've been trying to learn more about data science/big data/machine learning. There aren't any classes offered at the college that I'm attending that cover these topics, and I'm a little lost as to how I would get started in any of these fields. What...

software-engineering engineering analytics data-analysis computer-software big-data computer-engineering data-science machine-learning

Mihai G.’s Avatar
Mihai G. Feb 25, 2017 1333 views

What are some skills needed to get into Data Science or Statistical Analysis

There is not substantial information out there for free on what it takes to start studying Statistical Analysis. Looking for what books to read that give a thorough understanding of the basics or a outline of the whole process. finance programming data-science data-analysis data-mining...

personal-development

Amit L.’s Avatar
Amit L. Mar 13, 2017 1710 views

Should I double major in CS and Physics or CS and Math

My dream occupation is to work as a Data Scientist. I'm soon going to be completing my first semester as a physics student, as part of an incredibly prestigious physics program. We get to run an experiment at CERN in our third year! Thing is, I'm not really interested in working as a...

software-engineering higher-education college college-major physics data-science mathematics computer-science

Caitlyn V.’s Avatar
Caitlyn V. Oct 31, 2016 587 views

I'm considering a career in biomedical engineering but I have heard a little bit about biomathmatics. Is it possible to integrate biomathmatics into a BME career?

I've always been good at math and science. I participated in Moody's Math Challenge last year and really enjoyed the experience. Math comes easy to me. I enjoy adding science into the equation as well as science fascinates me but I find it more challenging, therefore I want to find a career...

bioengineering mathematics data-science bioinformatics

Anik B.’s Avatar
Anik B. Oct 28, 2016 799 views
Jordan  B.’s Avatar
Jordan B. Oct 20, 2016 505 views

Is it possible for a student to become a doctor or research scientists and not have to participate in surgeries?

I am not confident that I will be mentally prepared for surgery, but I have always desired to become a doctor. I wonder if this is even possible if I I do not favor surgery? doctor...

data-science

Mathew J.’s Avatar
Mathew J. Sep 15, 2016 970 views

How to start preparing towards a career in data science ?

I'm looking forward to starting a career in data science and I'm doing my master's right now. So, any information regarding this will be helpful for me. data-science databases python data-analysis big-data...

hadoop

Shankar I.’s Avatar
Shankar I. May 04, 2016 797 views

If I study pure science in my graduate and under-graduate course, what are my career options?

In India currently research has taken a back seat. I am interested in pure science. I am good in Physics, chemistry and Mathematics. research scientist science-phd life-sciences...

data-science

Samantha D.’s Avatar
Samantha D. Mar 31, 2014 2750 views

If I am interested in biology, living environment, and science research what are some good careers for me?

I am interested in science as well as writing and want to know what careers are good for me. biology research oncology...

data-science

Flora C.’s Avatar
Flora C. Mar 24, 2014 1263 views

What do data scientists do?

What kind of companies do data scientists work for? How can I become one? data-science data-analysis...

big-data