Career questions tagged data-science

User Avatar
undefined's avatar
CareerVillage Office Hours487 views

How to become a data scientist??

Share your journey & guide aspiring data scientist on their path. Note: Given the growing interest in the data science field, we're inviting our experienced professionals to share their knowledge.

answer icon5 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Naman452 views

What is best way to become data scientist I want to become data scientist and by searching 50 hours on internet i have found a way to get admission in iit madras by one qualifier exam which doesn't require jee so should I prepare for jee or for this qualifier exam ?

I am too much confused pls help me

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Rittika367 views

I have completed MA in English in 2021. Then i started a course for data science in 2022. I was into sports so there has been a huge year gap. Now should i join any job for money or should I complete projects for excel and sql to showcase them? I am 27 years old now and that course has still not completed.

I need a good future as there is no one to support me. I am an orphan and i dont plan to have any future company.

answer icon7 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Arvaiya279 views

what characteristics do you need for Data Science?

How do you have to act when being a Data Scientist? Do you have to be really good at math? Do you need to be a person who does not get distracted easily?

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Arvaiya149 views

Dislikes about Data Science?

What do you dislike about Data Science? Is there a task that annoys you, or you just don't like doing?

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Arvaiya145 views

favorite part about Data Science?

What is your most favorite part about Data Science? Is there any fun task you favor?

answer icon2 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Arvaiya158 views

what education do you need to be a Data scientist?

What specific classes do you need to take in order to be a Data Scientist? What part of math do you need to study for Data Science?

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Arvaiya128 views

can Data Science be overwhelming?

If it is overwhelming can you tell me why it is? What is the most overwhelming task in this career or you have done?

answer icon1 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Arvaiya230 views

What do you mainly do in Data Science?

What do you work on that keeps you busy throughout the day?

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Grace288 views

How to get into an REU as a first year college student?

I'm looking to get into a summer REU for bioinformatics or data analytics and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to get into one of these programs as a first year student?

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Aun1180 views

Should I focus on Embedded Systems or Data science/analytics?

I'm studying computer engineering in my 2nd year, and in the summer I'll be applying for a co-op. I've done my research and it appears that embedded systems has a steeper learning curve and barrier to entry than let's say data analytics. Both are not easy, but getting an internship as a data analyst looks more approachable. Both are also interesting to me, although embedded looks more hands on and engaging. Thoughts?

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Anna381 views

How can I learn computer science, data science, machine learning, etc.?

Any recommendations for free programs I can apply to? How can get an entry-level CS job to improve my skills? What companies are likely to accept high school interns?

answer icon9 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Akela303 views

Becoming an Instructional Designer and Working Remotely - Seeking Guidance and Remote Opportunities?

Hi everyone! I am an aspiring instructional designer with a passion for remote work. I hold two master's degrees, one in Distance Education & E-Learning and another in Instructional Technology. Despite my educational background, I am currently facing challenges while applying for jobs on LinkedIn. I would truly appreciate any guidance on how to achieve my goal of becoming an instructional designer and finding remote opportunities.

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Alice323 views

What types of languages should i know for data science?

I know python and some R but is java important to learn too

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Chelsea249 views

What is the best way to decide what career path/major will be best for you?

I have classes, resources, and experiences that would be very helpful for both nursing and data science, yet I am torn between the two. I would love to have a career in data science, yet I can't help but worry about the job security in that field. I have more experience in the areas of computer science and programming, yet I also have a lot of resources that would help me get a stable career in nursing.. Help?

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Brent265 views

How do I break into a new industry?

I've been working for 20 years since I graduated from college -- 17 years at a nonprofit research institute and then the last 3 years at a large U.S. bank. My focus has been on identifying, selling/pitching, evaluating and experimenting with innovative ideas in a brought range of areas -- new research approaches, novel data science (eg, AI/ML) use cases, ways to use emerging tech to make core lines of business faster/cheaper/better, and new products & services. I left both of the last organizations when my leadership changed and there was no longer an interest in investing in more exploratory innovation (horizon 2 or 3). I see lots of companies that are investing in this type of innovation, but not many in the industries in which I have experience. How can I get the attention of recruiters and higher managers and convince them that my skillset is very transferable?

answer icon5 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Hailey365 views

What is a day in the life of a data scientist like?

I am interested in data science but I am curious to know what a day in the life is like from a professional. I am a junior in college for computer science

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Blessing367 views

What is the likelihood that a career in Data Science will still be relevant in the next 15years?

I am a graduate student studying Business Intelligence and Cybersecurity. I recently developed an interest in Data Science. What steps do I need to take to become a successful data scientist, what is a typical day in the life of a data scientist and lastly is there a likelihood that a career in Data Science will still be relevant in the next 15years? #spring23

answer icon7 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Zion490 views

What is the tech industry like? What technical / soft skills are needed in the field? How can I prepare myself in such a oversaturated field??

I'm an sophomore majoring in computer science and data science. I basic knowledge in python, java, web development, sql, and swift.

answer icon15 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Shameka1208 views

How to connect computer science with data science?

I'm studying computer science as my major, but I have been interested in data science and data analytics. I was wondering what career paths or integrations I can do with programming and other skills related to computer science.

answer icon8 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Youssef165 views

Which option is promising for a tech and nature enthusiast?

I am passionate about the integration of technology into conservation biology. Which option is better? Double Major in Ecology and Conservation Biology and Data Science Major in Ecology and Conservation Biology + Minor in Data Science/GIS

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
mia248 views

How do you be a data analyst ?

Is there collaboration as a team? What do you analyze in your career? Is there any other requirements to enter this career, example: certification or degrees?

answer icon4 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Sarah423 views

Is a Data Science BSc worth it?

I've gotten into a Data Science Bachelors program at the University of Bristol, and I was wondering if it is enough if I want to get into data science or machine learning roles in the future. Would I be disadvantaged as compared to stats/maths or computer science grads.

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Neela279 views

What is the difference between baseline computer science and data science/analytics?

Can a business degree include data science? Also does it still count as a STEM field?

answer icon3 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Genevieve379 views

What minor would be a good choice for someone who wanted to use data science to study retail data/trends?

Marketing, sales, general business?

answer icon9 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Genevieve311 views

How would data science be used in accounting?

Would it analyze ways to boost revenue and control expenses?

answer icon7 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Genevieve236 views

How would data science be used in retail?

Would they analyze sales?

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Qinglin522 views

What aspects do data science job interviews typically cover?

I am graduating by the end of this year and have started building my resume and preparing for job interviews. I wonder if there is a "leet code" equivalence in the ds field that I should be working on? What types of questions do a data science job interview typically includes? Thank you in advance for your answer :D

answer icon5 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Genevieve1704 views

Best major to pair with data science?

I would like to either double-major or pair a minor with a degree in data science. What degree would be the best option: math, applied statistics, accounting, finance, marketing? Other suggestions are welcome!

answer icon9 answers
Active
location icon
undefined's avatar
Genevieve437 views

Data Science/Scientist Questions

I recently learned about the field of Data Science. I'm seriously considering a career in Data Science because it combines my interests in math, computer science, research, and writing. I'm really interested in learning more about it as a career. My questions are: 1.) What do data scientists do? 2.) According to an article I found on Indeed, some things that data scientists may do include "working in social media companies and using the user data to understand habits and suggest content that the users will enjoy. They may also work in politics and make predictions about the election results. " What else may they work on besides this? I like the idea of studying retail data, or data on where college graduates relocate to. 3.) Does it involve a lot of math, or is it mostly computer-based? 4.) What are the pros and cons of this career? 5.) Is it in demand? When I was researching data science on LinkedIn, I found a disheartening number of posts by laid-off data scientists. 6.)How much education to you need to become a data scientist? 7.) Are data scientist jobs mostly in person or remote. If they're in person, where are they mostly located (e.g. East/West Coast, big cities, specific cities, etc.) 8.) Is it a popular career choice? Is it a popular career choice among women? 9.) What classes/self-study courses should I take to see if I would enjoy being a data scientist? 10.) Can you get an MBA with a focus in data science? If you can think of anything else that would be useful for me to know, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!! :)

answer icon6 answers
Active
location icon