Career Questions tagged Bioinformatics

Li’s Avatar
Li Jan 15 102 views

is there a way to try out for biostatistic?

I think I want to be a biostatistician, I wonder if there's online class/ program/ book or anything I could read or try out for a while? background information: I graduated from biomedical science (BS) back in May 2022, my school is just a generic state school ( University of Akron located at...

Li’s Avatar
Li Dec 24, 2022 222 views

fresh graduate, need help to go for next step

I just graduated with my biomedical science degree (BS) ( I was thinking to going for medical school, or PA school, or AA school , or vet med school ). My situation has changed, I want to do WFH jobs. I haven't found much jobs I could do, I been applying for clinical research associate...

Vidhi’s Avatar
Vidhi Jan 04, 2021 378 views

I am confused. Please help

I am planning to work in a company like Illumina, Moderna, Genentech, or something similar. My question is what should I major in. Also how long do I need to study? Do I need to have a Ph.D.? What is the entry-level salary? Major in Bioinformatics Major In computer science and minor in...

Mary’s Avatar
Mary Apr 27, 2020 369 views

Advice for PhD seeking

I am currently a junior undergraduate student at the University of Washington and plan to pursue a PhD in the genomic sciences. I have experience in research, with over a year in three different labs. However, I am worried that my major makes me a less competitive applicant to programs such as...

Tina’s Avatar
Tina Jun 25, 2019 564 views

Biotechnology vs Biomedicine vs Bioinformatics

Hello everyone, i'am a non-traditional student and i'am transferring to a for year with an ultimate goal of applying to Medical school. However, I'am having a difficult time choosing a transfer major, at my home institution I've already completed a large majority of science courses from...

Rafael’s Avatar
Rafael Mar 23, 2019 444 views

I want major in bioinformatics, can you tell me something about this major?

What is the job outlook for bioinformatics professionals in the coming decades?I'm planning on earning a bioinformatics degree during my undergraduate degree, and I was hoping to learn the prospects of the career, itself, should I choose to pursue further education in the field. I was hoping to...

Chelsie’s Avatar
Chelsie Mar 16, 2018 519 views

What job opportunities are available for those pursuing a degree in Bioinformatics?

I am a bioinformatics major, and while I love the field of study, I am still a little uncertain on all the job opportunities available with a Bioinformatics degree. Do the jobs tend to be more computer/programming based, or more lab work? Or is there some of each?
#bioinformatics #job-search

Laith’s Avatar
Laith Jan 17, 2018 751 views

Does Bioinformatics cover more computer science than genetics.

I have a passion for both computer programming and genetics and I am not sure if I should major in one or the other. Does Bioinformatics concentrate more on Computer programming than on genetics?

#bioinformatics #computer-science #genetics #major

Bhavani’s Avatar
Bhavani Jan 17, 2018 1662 views

What is the job outlook for bioinformatics professionals in the coming decades?

I'm planning on earning a bioinformatics degree during my undergraduate degree, and I was hoping to learn the prospects of the career, itself, should I choose to pursue further education in the field. I was hoping to hear about how demand is predicted to rise/fall in the coming decades and...

Leion’s Avatar
Leion Jan 19, 2017 2221 views

why should i study bioinformatics

I am interested in bioinformatics how good is this career? #university #research #japan #bioinformatics

Michela’s Avatar
Michela Nov 14, 2016 871 views

If your a pre-med student Is it better to major in the sciences or a major of your choice?

I am a pre-med student and i would like to know which major in sciences or a major of your choice will benefit you when applying for a career or med school #medicine #biology #pre-med #physical-therapy #biotechnology #biochemistry #molecular-biology #bioinformatics

Caitlyn’s Avatar
Caitlyn Oct 31, 2016 708 views

I'm considering a career in biomedical engineering but I have heard a little bit about biomathmatics. Is it possible to integrate biomathmatics into a BME career?

I've always been good at math and science. I participated in Moody's Math Challenge last year and really enjoyed the experience. Math comes easy to me. I enjoy adding science into the equation as well as science fascinates me but I find it more challenging, therefore I want to find a career...

Nat’s Avatar
Nat Oct 31, 2016 740 views

What has been one of the most difficult problems you have encountered in your career as a biologist and how did you solve it?

I want to know how a biologist tackles a difficult problem in his/her work. #biology #marine-biology #biotechnology #biochemistry #molecular-biology #bioinformatics

Christopher’s Avatar
Christopher Oct 22, 2016 1610 views

What is the typical day in the life of a bioinformatician?

I am heavily interested in the field of bioinformatics. #biology #mathematics #biotechnology #biochemistry #bioinformatics

Anina’s Avatar
Anina Mar 27, 2016 1037 views

How to join biological research?

I'm going to be a college freshman next year, and I was wondering how I could go about joining a research team- particularly in Bioinformatics, my chosen major. Do I need to take certain classes? Can I just go up to a professor doing something awesome and ask them? #college #research...

Anina’s Avatar
Anina Dec 02, 2015 4523 views

What's it like to work in a field that combines biology and computer science? (ie. biotech, medical data analysis)

I'm a high school senior, and I am going to major in computational biology or bioinformatics in college. I want to know what kind of job opportunities there are for someone going into that field, and what those jobs are like. #computer-science #biology #biotechnology #bioinformatics...