Career Questions tagged Genetics

Lynae H.’s Avatar
Lynae H. Aug 04 200 views

College biology student with too many career options

I am entering my junior year of college and do not know how to choose a career. I am a biology major with many interests and career options like optometry, genetic counseling, research, and college professor. I have shadowed an optometrist (a career I have been interested in for a long time)...

college medicine genetics science optometry biology research career doctor

ilianny M.’s Avatar
ilianny M. Feb 24 242 views

I want a career with genetic invovled and i need help finding narrowing down the list.

Hi my name is ilianny. i am a junior in high school in lynn Massachusetts. i always wanted to be a geneticist but i dont know what majors i have to take in order to purse that career. i also love forensics. i need help figuring out what colleges are good for this career and what maajors and...

career geneticist bio medicine genetics forensics

Tanish R.’s Avatar
Tanish R. Feb 18 292 views

How does CRISPR work?

I am a tenth grade student interested in learning more about gene expression and modification as well as protein synthesis. genetics CRISPR biology molecular...

Alacia M.’s Avatar
Alacia M. Feb 08 271 views

Genetic Counseling

I'm a high school junior and currently interested in health, more specifically genetics. I've looked at genetic counseling and completing the AP science courses available at my school. What can I do to improve my portfolio and what would my pathway be to become a genetic counselor? school...

medicine genetics careers health

Samyukta S.’s Avatar
Samyukta S. Jul 30, 2020 269 views

What are some careers related to genetics?

I find myself drawn to genetics. In case I want to pursue a career in genetics, what all options lie before me? medicine biology genetics...

career-choice

Monica G.’s Avatar
Monica G. Sep 27, 2018 450 views

What degree is more helpful between biochemistry, molecular biology, or microbiology?

I am a currently biochemistry student and I am very indecisive in my career path. I want to ultimately research and help in the process of creating medicines and treatments to disorders, but I also want to study genetics and cancer stem research. So, I have decided to either undertake a minor...

microbiology biochemistry medicine genetics science biology molecular-biology diseases

Monica G.’s Avatar
Monica G. Sep 27, 2018 403 views

Would it be more beneficial to obtain a minor or double major?

college genetics science double-major biology minor major molecular college-major

Isobel F.’s Avatar
Isobel F. Mar 20, 2018 928 views

What is the hardest part of being a Genetics Counselor?

I've been doing some research into the career of a Genetics Counselor, and I've become quite interested in what the job has to offer. However, in an ordinary day, with any amount of patients, I can't imagine what obstacles may come up. With all that goes on in a day, what is the hardest part of...

psychology genetics chemistry career

Phoebe S.’s Avatar
Phoebe S. Mar 24, 2018 386 views

Will genetic modifications be considered ethical when I graduate?

I hope to be a human medical geneticist, and help treat or prevent genetic disorders, but many people view it unethical....

genetics

Isobel F.’s Avatar
Isobel F. Mar 20, 2018 279 views

What does a day in the life of a Genetics Counselor generally look like?

Over the years, I've found that I have a knack and a keen interest in Biology, or more specifically, genetics. Recently I've been looking into the career of a Genetics Counselor, and even though I've done some research, what I've found doesn't really tell me a lot about what a Genetics...

genetics

Laura M.’s Avatar
Laura M. Mar 16, 2018 464 views

Will the field of genetics be detrimental to my personal beliefs?

I am planning to pursue a STEM degree in either genetics or molecular-biology, but I am afraid that my field will be filled with people who are actively trying to cure autism which is not something that can be cured, but is just a different mind type with a wide range of symptoms and...

research johns-hopkins-university

Lily H.’s Avatar
Lily H. Jan 20, 2018 463 views

Where are the best places for conducting scientific research?

I hope to enter the field (likely along the lines of genetic or cellular/molecular biology research) after college; however, I know that tons of others are hoping to do the same. I have also heard that scientific research is being less and less funded in the United States. With that reality...

stem women-in-science genetics research science biology women-in-stem cell-biology molecular-biology life-sciences

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 606 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

genetics career-decisions career-path creative-writing career-choice publishing biomedical-engineering science-fiction english proposal-writing fiction-writing biomedical-science copy-editing author writing-and-editing writing double-major news-writing communications creative-non-fiction grant-writing multiple-interests technical-writing fiction editor dual-career screenwriting

Laith B.’s Avatar
Laith B. Jan 17, 2018 522 views

Does Bioinformatics cover more computer science than genetics.

I have a passion for both computer programming and genetics and I am not sure if I should major in one or the other. Does Bioinformatics concentrate more on Computer programming than on genetics? bioinformatics computer-science genetics...

major

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 470 views

Are there any outlets for socialization or working with people in the fields of genetics/biomedical science?

I'm in love with biomedical engineering and genetics/genomics, but I also tend to be a social butterfly. I'm concerned that the constant lab work and studies will keep me from interacting with people and forming stable workplace relationships. My parents have suggested the profession of genetic...

career-paths genetics biomedical genetic-counseling biology social career-path psychology relationships molecular-biology college-major biomedical-engineering people

Samara K.’s Avatar
Samara K. Jan 16, 2018 451 views

What careers are there involving genetics?

I am a high school senior wanting to pursue a career in biology, involving genetics, but I don't have a good idea to what careers are out there. Are there any good career opportunities out there for someone who is interested in genetics? medicine genetics career-advice...

biology

Alexis H.’s Avatar
Alexis H. Jan 15, 2018 347 views

What innovations can be done in genetic testing that will potentially further cancer research or a cure to cancer?

Over the past two years I've learned that it is possible to manipulate the microbiome of a child as well as its genetic traits. Throughout my research no one has raised the question of if it is possible to remove a cancerous gene or monitor it once it could possibly be discovered through...

infants molecular-biology genetics science genetictesting protectourfuture

Alexis M.’s Avatar
Alexis M. Oct 24, 2016 647 views

I have worked with horses for 10 years now and I really want to pursue a career involving horses. What would be the best job (best salary, best job outlook, etc) in the horse field?

Like I said, I have been working with horse for about ten years now. I have always taken a special interest in all animals, but horses hold a special place in my heart. I am in high school currently and I am looking at my future career options. I want to do the best of the best jobs with...

nutrition veterinary financial-planning equine horses genetics career-details

Caroline M.’s Avatar
Caroline M. Feb 03, 2017 627 views

When deciding upon the Genetic Counselor career were you more interested in the research and application of knowledge or the counseling aspect?

I am a high school senior who has researched Genetic Counseling as a potential career interest. One question that seems to never be answered is if the Genetic Counselor's were more intrigued with the research aspect of the job or with dealing with the patients. This is important for me because...

pyschology genetics research genetic-counseling biology counseling science

Rosa P.’s Avatar
Rosa P. Jan 30, 2017 557 views

What is an alternate way to become a geneticist, other than by earning a Genetics degree?

I'm afraid that I won't be accepted into the school of my choice, which is one of the only two or three schools in my area that offer a Genetics program. If I'm not accepted, I wondered if there was any possible other way to become a Geneticist? Thanks! college science biology majors...

genetics

Rosa P.’s Avatar
Rosa P. Jan 30, 2017 651 views

How does one become a Research Scientist?

My actual plan is to make it through the Biology program at Case (Western Reserve University) and then be accepted into their Genetics Graduate program. Just in case that doesn't work, my back-up plan is a research Scientist in Biology. Problem is, I'm not sure how to become one! I'd...

students college-student college genetics research biology graduate

Christina J.’s Avatar
Christina J. Jan 11, 2017 623 views

What career possibilities are there if I study genetics, software engineering or accounting in post-secondary?

I enjoy biology but I don't want to be a doctor or anything, so I'm just wondering what other opportunities are out there. If there aren't any careers in biology I'm interested in I would probably switch to software engineering or accounting. What are your thoughts? And are there any university...

biology software-engineering genetics accounting

Linh L.’s Avatar
Linh L. Oct 29, 2016 788 views

what is the most inspired course you have taken?

As a high school student, you suppose to take many classes as you want. But there are some courses that will be your favorite and determine your career path. So I want to ask many students about their stories, which we can share many variety information and come up with a better answer for...

mathematics healthcare marketing genetics science biology foreign-languages computer-software

Mia B.’s Avatar
Mia B. Oct 27, 2016 463 views

Would a degree in biomedical engineering help me if I want to go into genetics?

I know biomedical engineering has more to do with stem cell research, but initially the two seem to have a lot in common via working with substances of people rather than the person themselves. engineering biomedical-engineering...

genetics

Mia B.’s Avatar
Mia B. Oct 27, 2016 537 views

Is there a downside to getting a specific undergraduate degree?

I want to go into genetics, and instead of getting a biology or chemistry degree, I'm looking at a genetics degree. If I find out that genetics isn't what I want to go into, what will I have to fall back on? undergraduate...

genetics