Career Questions tagged Genetics

Monica G.’s Avatar
Monica G. Sep 27, 2018 188 views

What degree is more helpful between biochemistry, molecular biology, or microbiology?

I am a currently biochemistry student and I am very indecisive in my career path. I want to ultimately research and help in the process of creating medicines and treatments to disorders, but I also want to study genetics and cancer stem research. So, I have decided to either undertake a minor...

#science #microbiology #genetics #biochemistry #molecular-biology #diseases #medical #biology

Monica G.’s Avatar
Monica G. Sep 27, 2018 151 views

Would it be more beneficial to obtain a minor or double major?

#minor #biology #college-major #science #genetics #double-major #college #major #molecular

Isobel F.’s Avatar
Isobel F. Mar 20, 2018 169 views

What is the hardest part of being a Genetics Counselor?

I've been doing some research into the career of a Genetics Counselor, and I've become quite interested in what the job has to offer. However, in an ordinary day, with any amount of patients, I can't imagine what obstacles may come up. With all that goes on in a day, what is the hardest part of...

#genetics #chemistry #career #psychology

Phoebe S.’s Avatar
Phoebe S. Mar 24, 2018 226 views

Will genetic modifications be considered ethical when I graduate?

I hope to be a human medical geneticist, and help treat or prevent genetic disorders, but many people view it unethical....

#genetics

Isobel F.’s Avatar
Isobel F. Mar 20, 2018 140 views

What does a day in the life of a Genetics Counselor generally look like?

Over the years, I've found that I have a knack and a keen interest in Biology, or more specifically, genetics. Recently I've been looking into the career of a Genetics Counselor, and even though I've done some research, what I've found doesn't really tell me a lot about what a Genetics...

#genetics

Laura M.’s Avatar
Laura M. Mar 16, 2018 212 views

Will the field of genetics be detrimental to my personal beliefs?

I am planning to pursue a #stem degree in either #genetics or #molecular-biology, but I am afraid that my field will be filled with people who are actively trying to cure #autism which is not something that can be cured, but is just a different mind type with a wide range of symptoms and...

#research #johns-hopkins-university

Lily H.’s Avatar
Lily H. Jan 20, 2018 269 views

Where are the best places for conducting scientific research?

I hope to enter the field (likely along the lines of genetic or cellular/molecular biology research) after college; however, I know that tons of others are hoping to do the same. I have also heard that scientific research is being less and less funded in the United States. With that reality...

#women-in-science #cell-biology #life-sciences #science #genetics #molecular-biology #research #biology #stem #women-in-stem

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 371 views

Is there a profession out there that's an equal balance between creative writing/publishing and biomedical science?

I am torn between majoring in English and Biomedical Science/Engineering. I love to write stories and strive to become an editor for a publishing company/fiction author or screenwriter, but I also love genetics and would love to be a genetic engineer and researcher (see the details from my...

#creative-writing #technical-writing #news-writing #science-fiction #grant-writing #fiction-writing #career-choice #dual-career #double-major #author #proposal-writing #editor #communications #biomedical-engineering #publishing #multiple-interests #fiction #creative-non-fiction #career-path #screenwriting #career-decisions #writing-and-editing #english #genetics #writing #biomedical-science #copy-editing

Laith B.’s Avatar
Laith B. Jan 17, 2018 232 views

Does Bioinformatics cover more computer science than genetics.

I have a passion for both computer programming and genetics and I am not sure if I should major in one or the other. Does Bioinformatics concentrate more on Computer programming than on genetics? #bioinformatics #computer-science #genetics...

#major

Jada H.’s Avatar
Jada H. Jan 17, 2018 244 views

Are there any outlets for socialization or working with people in the fields of genetics/biomedical science?

I'm in love with biomedical engineering and genetics/genomics, but I also tend to be a social butterfly. I'm concerned that the constant lab work and studies will keep me from interacting with people and forming stable workplace relationships. My parents have suggested the profession of genetic...

#social #college-major #career-path #genetic-counseling #genetics #career-paths #people #molecular-biology #biomedical #relationships #biomedical-engineering #biology #psychology

Samara K.’s Avatar
Samara K. Jan 16, 2018 249 views

What careers are there involving genetics?

I am a high school senior wanting to pursue a career in biology, involving genetics, but I don't have a good idea to what careers are out there. Are there any good career opportunities out there for someone who is interested in genetics? #medicine #genetics #career-advice...

#biology

Alexis H.’s Avatar
Alexis H. Jan 15, 2018 176 views

What innovations can be done in genetic testing that will potentially further cancer research or a cure to cancer?

Over the past two years I've learned that it is possible to manipulate the microbiome of a child as well as its genetic traits. Throughout my research no one has raised the question of if it is possible to remove a cancerous gene or monitor it once it could possibly be discovered through...

#genetictesting #science #protectourfuture #genetics #infants #molecular-biology

Lauren H.’s Avatar
Lauren H. May 19, 2016 420 views
Denisia P.’s Avatar
Denisia P. May 11, 2016 362 views
Alexis M.’s Avatar
Alexis M. Oct 24, 2016 465 views

I have worked with horses for 10 years now and I really want to pursue a career involving horses. What would be the best job (best salary, best job outlook, etc) in the horse field?

Like I said, I have been working with horse for about ten years now. I have always taken a special interest in all animals, but horses hold a special place in my heart. I am in high school currently and I am looking at my future career options. I want to do the best of the best jobs with...

#veterinary #nutrition #career-details #genetics #horses #equine #financial-planning

Caroline M.’s Avatar
Caroline M. Feb 03, 2017 466 views

When deciding upon the Genetic Counselor career were you more interested in the research and application of knowledge or the counseling aspect?

I am a high school senior who has researched Genetic Counseling as a potential career interest. One question that seems to never be answered is if the Genetic Counselor's were more intrigued with the research aspect of the job or with dealing with the patients. This is important for me because...

#research #science #genetic-counseling #counseling #genetics #pyschology #biology

Rosa P.’s Avatar
Rosa P. Jan 30, 2017 416 views

What is an alternate way to become a geneticist, other than by earning a Genetics degree?

I'm afraid that I won't be accepted into the school of my choice, which is one of the only two or three schools in my area that offer a Genetics program. If I'm not accepted, I wondered if there was any possible other way to become a Geneticist? Thanks! #college #science #biology #majors...

#genetics

Rosa P.’s Avatar
Rosa P. Jan 30, 2017 496 views

How does one become a Research Scientist?

My actual plan is to make it through the Biology program at Case (Western Reserve University) and then be accepted into their Genetics Graduate program. Just in case that doesn't work, my back-up plan is a research Scientist in Biology. Problem is, I'm not sure how to become one! I'd...

#research #college #college-student #genetics #students #biology #graduate

Christina J.’s Avatar
Christina J. Jan 11, 2017 498 views

What career possibilities are there if I study genetics, software engineering or accounting in post-secondary?

I enjoy biology but I don't want to be a doctor or anything, so I'm just wondering what other opportunities are out there. If there aren't any careers in biology I'm interested in I would probably switch to software engineering or accounting. What are your thoughts? And are there any university...

#genetics #biology #software-engineering #accounting

Linh L.’s Avatar
Linh L. Oct 29, 2016 606 views

what is the most inspired course you have taken?

As a high school student, you suppose to take many classes as you want. But there are some courses that will be your favorite and determine your career path. So I want to ask many students about their stories, which we can share many variety information and come up with a better answer for...

#science #mathematics #genetics #computer-software #foreign-languages #marketing #healthcare #biology

Mia B.’s Avatar
Mia B. Oct 27, 2016 346 views

Would a degree in biomedical engineering help me if I want to go into genetics?

I know biomedical engineering has more to do with stem cell research, but initially the two seem to have a lot in common via working with substances of people rather than the person themselves. #engineering #biomedical-engineering...

#genetics

Mia B.’s Avatar
Mia B. Oct 27, 2016 409 views

Is there a downside to getting a specific undergraduate degree?

I want to go into genetics, and instead of getting a biology or chemistry degree, I'm looking at a genetics degree. If I find out that genetics isn't what I want to go into, what will I have to fall back on? #undergraduate...

#genetics

Savannah S.’s Avatar
Savannah S. Oct 23, 2016 394 views

Are genetics an important study for STEM jobs?

Just wanting to get in the field. #science...

#genetics

Kristina M.’s Avatar
Kristina M. Oct 23, 2016 439 views

Is there a field of study or a career path for combining my love of horses (equine science) and biomedical science without becoming a vet?

I am trying to find a career path that will integrate my two passions: equestrian and biotechnology. I love hands on science lab work and would like to do something with horses. Perhaps involve genetics, IVF, gestation, etc with horses. #medical #veterinary #biotechnology #genetics...

#veterinary-technician #equine

Katherine C.’s Avatar
Katherine C. Oct 20, 2016 353 views
Nell H.’s Avatar
Nell H. Oct 19, 2016 430 views

What is the most difficult task a genetic counselor has to do?

I want to know the challenges about genetic counseling. #clinical-psychology...

#genetics

Gabriella A.’s Avatar
Gabriella A. May 20, 2016 488 views

What is the most useful thing to minor in during college for a person considering becoming a genetic counselor?

The job out look for genetic counselors has little growth and I would like to know what give me an edge to stand out. #counselor #scientist #doctorate-degree...

#genetics

Cleone M.’s Avatar
Cleone M. Apr 12, 2016 1378 views

How can I increase my chances on getting into a Genetic Counselor training program in college?

I'm High School Junior student from Rhode Island. My life career is to become a genetic counselor. I know that getting into a Genetic Counselor training program is pretty competitive, but I want information on how can I increase my chances. It would be exceptional if I can find free pre-college...

#counseling #genetic-counseling #genetics #medicine #biology #career

Samantha G.’s Avatar
Samantha G. Dec 08, 2015 958 views

Could someone have a career in a science field that is under the government, and what careers might these be?

I am a senior in high school, and I am interested in both a science related career as well as a government career. I am interested in both local and federal government, so a career under either would be fine. I am also interested in water resources, genetics, marine biology, and environmental...

#federal-government #environmental #marine-biology #genetics #local-government

Brooke B.’s Avatar
Brooke B. Dec 15, 2014 709 views

Is the majority of your time, as a geneticist, spent interacting with patients or doing laboratory work?

I have taken a semester long genetics course in high school and I found it very intriguing. I was curious if being a genetics counselor involved mostly talking to patients about their genes and what risks they carry or if it involves laboratory work. #doctor #science #biology #technology...

#genetics #diseases