Biotechnology vs Biomedicine vs Bioinformatics

Hello everyone, i'am a non-traditional student and i'am transferring to a for year with an ultimate goal of applying to Medical school. However, I'am having a difficult time choosing a transfer major, at my home institution I've already completed a large majority of science courses from Mircobio to Physics. Since I've completed these courses, its only befitting for me to choose a major that will uptake my current credits. The majors of interest are biotechnology, biomedicine and bioinformatics. Now, although I've researched the hell out of these majors, i still don't know what a typical work day would look like for either profession or if it is a profitable and complementary pathway to my ultimate goals.

Someone please help, if you are in any of these fields.

Thank you in advance
#college-major #biotechnology #bioinformatics #biomedicine #premed #medicalschool #college-major

Yuezhe’s Answer

Hi Tina,

I am not sure what exact your situation is, but based on what I know, these three majors are very similar. I presume that the major course requirements are also similar. If you are interested in the one that may yield better job prospect, I would recommend you choose the major that is under engineering department.

I am not a medical student, but based on the background of MD/PhD students that I know of, major has little impact on whether you can get into a program. Indeed one MD did comment on that major didn't have much impact on whether you can go to a medical school. Your GPA and the institute may have greater impact. Knowing the faculty of the institute of your interest is also important.

To sum up, I am not sure whether these three different majors would make much difference. However, I would suggest you to look for summer research internships in the institutes that you want to. Making people know you will increase your chance. Also I am not sure whether you have entertained the idea of getting a MD/PhD. The PhD will pay for the MD.

I hope all these help. Good luck!