3

Where should I seek employment with a degree in visual communications to become a fashion stylist?

I am interested in majoring in visual communications at FIDM and I would like to know where exactly I should be seeking employment while I study to become a fashion stylist that can help me with my career later on. I try to take jobs that will help my career and give me experience. Where should I begin to look for a job? #fashion #fashion-stylist

3

0

Jessica’s Answer

Hi Marilou! There are many routes! From Public Relations showrooms, to freelance work, to styling for corporate retail, it just depends on what works best for you. I worked as a sample coordinator for a few years for a fashion retail company in Los Angeles, and assisted the stylist for a while while I was there. Sample Coordinators are a GREAT way to get into styling. Try to look for any assistant styling opportunities while you're in school, either via the career center at FIDM or just networking with other students. Being on set for photo and/or video shoots is chaotic, overwhelming, long hours, and FAST paced. I think the key to helping your styling career for later on, is getting as much on set experience as much as possible. School is great for networking, but nothing beats real life experience. There you'll learn how it all works, how the stylist fits into that environment and the hierarchy, working with the other creatives on the team, etc.

Jessica recommends the following next steps:

Build a portfolio: Set up your own photoshoots with friends or Network with some fashion design students to help style their designs
Contact the Career Center for styling opportunities, be clear and direct with your goals
Ask your teachers for help, or for referrals for internships
0
0

Daniela’s Answer

Hello Marilou,

The site of the institution , provides a link to job search. Moreover, you can get information through social networks, your friends of the University, with teachers or counselors about internship opportunities, or even think about some voluntary activity in the area as a helper in parades, organizing showcases clothing to stores or prepare catalogs of the store brands collections in the region where you live.

http://fidm.edu/en/career+center/companies+hiring+fidm+grads/
http://fidm.edu/en/career+center/internships/

Good Luck!!

0