Melanie G.’s Avatar

Melanie G.

106

2

What could you do with a fashion marketing degree?

I really want to take this major but i don't really understand what fashion marketing /merchandising involves ?

#marketing #fashion-merchandising #fashion #marketing #marketing-and-advertising #apparel-and-fashion

Marketing is a broad field with a lot of range. You can qualify for many types of jobs with a fashion marketing degree. You could go into the business side of fashion and work in management or coordination. Or you could go to the more creative side and start entry level as an assistant in the fashion industry and work your way up to being a fashion buyer or top merchandiser. My advice is unless you want to sell fashion, skip retail! Its a dead end! Go straight for the fashion industry and start entry level. Even the right internship could catapult you into an amazing career!

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• While earning your degree, intern. But not just anywhere. Intern at a company that is closely or exactly related to tje type of company you would like to work for one day. Always have goals and go for them now!
Last updated Aug 08 at 21:00

Hi Melanie. You can do a great deal with a degree in Fashion Marketing. There are various types of jobs you could obtain. These jobs include buyer, fashion stylist, patternmaker, fashion editor,fashion director, retail store management and store owner. There are more options than the ones I listed. What career are you interested in? If you have an interest in Fashion Marketing I recommend you research what career you are interested in. Fashion Marketing or Merhandising is about business as it relates to fashion.I have a degree in Fashion Design and Merchandising

I want to own my own store one day, and I would like to teach young children art. I currently work in retail

I would definitely recommend you research schools and if you decide to major in Fashion Marketing and I suggest you take businesses courses or minor in business. It is a great field .It can be fun and exciting but it is hard work .I wish you luck and I will be happy to answer any more questions you may have.

.

Last updated Jul 09 at 02:19

Hello! I’m Christina and I’m an apparel buyer. I work for a retail chain of stores that provide apparel for the entire family. As a buyer I travel to NYC every month to meet with vendors. They show me their latest designs and I buy styles that I think are best for my customers. It’s like shopping as a career! BUT, what you buy has to sell at a profit. You have some winners and some losers, but in the end, you need more of the first than the latter! I need to keep up on the latest fashion trends but know how they will translate to my customers. My customers are not the latest trend setters. There’s also a large amount of math involved in my job. I have to calculate profit and selling projections. It’s all pretty simple math. I work with Fashion Merchandiesers and Fashion Designers when I am in NYC. They are the ones who design, research and put together the clothing lines for the vendors. There are many other careers as well like fashion bloggers, influencers, sewers, pattern makers, trim buyers, planners, and textile experts. I hope I could offer you some insight! Good luck!

Last updated Sep 12 at 19:50

With a fashion marketing degree, there is so much one can do. You can branch out to different fashion brands and build with their company in different ways. There is magazine editing. There is marketing and digital media. There is also social media. There is a way you can market a brand in billboards and television. Fashion marketing has a wide variety of ways to get yourself out there without building from scratch.

Last updated Nov 08 at 22:17

I don’t really know I’m trying to find out

Last updated Jul 07 at 16:21

Hi Melanie! There are sooooooo many career opportunities within the fashion industry. In fact, fashion is in everyone's day to day tasks, whether we realize it or not. Let's start from waking up in the morning and heading to the bathroom to brush our teeth. Most of us have the cool purple, red or whatever color toothbrush we use, while others can be a bit more classic. But what we never think about is that someone had to actually create the design for those toothbrushes. In this case, the job would be product design. This is just one of many opportunities available to you. The most important part about the fashion industry is that there are so many avenues you can take; which is great for your career because you will continuously be developing and growing; being multifaceted within one industry alone. Before graduating from The Art Institute of Charlotte with a BA degree in Fashion Marketing and Management, I had already been in the fashion industry without even knowing it. I had already worked for Victoria's Secret as a sales associate. YES, this too is apart of the fashion industry. A designer creates the garment that ends up on the runway which is later massed produced for consumers to buy and be sold within stores across the world. That's where my position as a sales associate came into play. I had to learn what the brand was about so I can represent them well and assist its consumers with purchases. Not to mentioned online purchases and what it takes to set up for your consumer that doesn't particularly like to go into the store. This job is called Ecommerce.

When we shop online, we see model's wearing fashionable items that help us in decision making when it comes to our purchases. Well, there is a team of people from Stylists, to photographers, to makeup artists, set production, etc., that work together to give online consumers the final product. After graduating from college, my first entry level position was with Belk Inc. doing just this as a Assistant Stylist for Ecomm. When clothing was shipped from the stores into the corporate office, my team and I had to check them in, pick out clothing and accessories, such as jewelry, shoes, belts, hats, etc., boxed them up and send to our photography studio so the models could be shot in them. Pretty cool for straight out of college, huh?

Last but not least, I was also a visual merchandising associate and progressed all the way up to an assistant visual merchandising manager for Macy's. I later on went on to be a sales supervisior because I wanted and needed to learn more of the business of why we did what we did. Which brings me to this point and why the marketing and management part of my degree is so important:

Everything we do is business. Fashion is most definitely fun, however, it is not all glitz and glamour as it has been perceived for many years. You have to be dedicated and work hard just as any other industry in the world. My advice to you is to start with something you are or a brand you are passionate about and research all the possible positions within the job or company. Your opportunities are endless! You got this girl! Many blessings and successes to you!

-Londyn

Last updated Jul 23 at 11:59