Skip to main content
3 answers
3
Updated 3232 views

Nurse Practitioner Clinical Preceptors and sites

Hi, I am a Family Nurse Practitioner Student and is looking if someone can help me find a preceptor for my clinical here in WA state

Please kindly advise me below!

Thank you! #preceptor #nurse #nursing #nursepractitioner


3

3 answers


2
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Lorraine E.’s Answer

Hi Michael,

While I do not live in WA state and cannot give you specific locations for your area, I just graduated from a nurse practitioner program and was responsible for finding my own preceptors. I highly recommend networking. Ask friends, colleagues, health care practitioners (doctors, NPs, nurses, etc.) if they know anyone who would take you on as a student. I volunteered for some health fairs and found a preceptor at one of the health fairs (a doctor who was also volunteering). I've been volunteering long-term at a clinic for the underserved and two of the NPs there took me on as a student. I asked anyone I knew if they knew someone in the medical field who was willing to be a preceptor. Ask your PCP if he or she would take you on. CVS and Walgreens clinics take students and you can go on their career websites to apply as a student. I have a friend who connected me with two of her friends who were in the medical field and they took me on as a student. Use your connections to see if you know someone or if a friend of a friend knows someone. Hope this helps!


Good luck!

Lorraine

2
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Christine Guy’s Answer

Hi Michael - finding preceptors can be so difficult. Since you asked this question a few years ago, I am hopeful you were able to find preceptors for your experiences. I encourage you to come back and share how you were able to be successful in this area to share with others in case there are others who may be looking.

My advice for students in this situation is to network and connect with those in your community. Think about your primary care provider, or the office you go to. Ask your friends and family who may have providers in the community.

Go visit offices in person to see if there is an office manager you can connect with to ask if they would be willing to work with you.

If you are near larger health systems, some "match" students with preceptors, so look into that as well.

Use social media - there are a number of facebook groups that have preceptors willing to precept and students looking for preceptors, join these groups and ask away. Also search the group to see if someone else in your area has already asked if there are preceptors available.

Finally, be willing to drive the distance. You may not be able to find a preceptor right in your neighborhood, be willing to travel for a great experience.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Aaron’s Answer

It was not that long ago that I, too, was in your position and struggling to find preceptors for the various hours I had to complete for my program. Here is what I would advise:

  1. Start with your university - it should connect students with quality preceptors. If your university does not directly provide connections, ask if they can provide names of preceptors from previous students.
  2. Check into your alumni network. Graduates from your school are likely to help you find preceptors and give you career advice. If you are in an area where most NPs go to a different university, finding a preceptor could be more challenging.
  3. Participate in your local NP group. Don’t just attend and huddle with fellow students. Dress up like you are going to a job interview (You are). Present with confidence. Volunteer to be on a committee.
  4. Work at a hospital where you will encounter providers that work in the specialty you are pursuing. Be the best. Physicians and NPs/PAs will notice you. Make friends with the social workers, they are great sources of information. </span>
  5. <span style="color: rgb(29, 33, 41);"> Connect in person if you're able to. You will have a much better chance with preceptors if you’ve made an impression or if someone can vouch for you.
  6. Individualize your e-mails or other means of contact to potential preceptors. Read their websites and see what they are about. Communicate enthusiasm. Write something about their interest, and thank them for their time. One tip I always suggest to students: don't mention the number of hours you need to complete (i.e. 120hrs). Instead, mention the number of days (assuming 8hr work days, 120hrs = 15 days). The number of days will seem far less insurmountable versus the number of total hours.
  7. Check with professional associations. Many times professional associations at the local, state, and/or national level will have preceptor lists. Otherwise the state and national organizations can help you get in contact with local branches where you can potentially network.

Aaron recommends the following next steps:

It is never too early to begin looking for and connecting with preceptors. The earlier you do this, the better it will be.
0