Did your parents influence you in going into your job?

6
6

Stephanie’s Answer

0

Hi Gianna! My parents have both worked service blue collar jobs and pushed me to do more than them by going to college. They wanted me to go to college to be a veterinarian because I grew up on a farm but I knew that wasn’t right for me. I was lucky that they have supported me in my decisions to pursue my passion in helping people and doing it my way. I currently work for a wireless technology company for the last 18 years. Find your own way.

0

Glenn’s Answer

0

Honestly Gianna, my parents didn't know what I did for a living (brand design) for about fifteen years. So...no. Yet as an engineer and teacher my parents both recognized my artistic ability very early on, and encouraged me as best they could (materials, classes, camps) and they both demonstrated in their own professions how to work hard, listen and do right by others. So...yes!!! Although a career in design was strange to them, their model as professionals still serves me this day.

Glenn recommends the following next steps:

• Remember that you are who you are, and not what you do.
  • Look for those things in your parents that you admire, and see if they don't work for you too.
  • And whether they "get" what you do or not, don't be afraid to ask how they might handle situations in you place. Whether you follow their advice or not, you'll both learn a lot!
0

Ashley’s Answer

0

No, my parents encouraged me to go to a junior college and talk with counselors, take classes that interested me until I found my something I was interested in.

0

Kei’s Answer

0
Hi Gianna.

My parents guided me on what field I want to be in but they never dictated what they wanted me to be. Being open to them really helps. They will definitely share their ideas and even suggest some careers but in the end, what's important is for you to pursue what you really want and what will make you happy.

Take care and I wish you the best of luck!
0

Josee’s Answer

0

my parents did offer advise and I believe that it was their way of showing that they cared about me. They did not influence my choice of career. They recommended I choose a college that would provide me the right education and also encouraged me to stay focused on my studies. They wanted the best for me but most importantly they ended up realizing that I made the right choices because the job I got makes me happy.

0

Daphne’s Answer

0

Sadly no, it wasn't until after I had a failed marriage that I pursued my career. Even at this point in my life I had no clue where my path going to take me. But with dedication and hard work I have moved my way up in my company and have been a valued employee for 14 years now in the Wireless industry. Only you can decide what your path is going to be and where it's going to take you.

0