2 answers
Asked
278 views
What courses should I take to be knowledgeable in pathology?
I'm currently a freshman physics major that is hoping to become a pathologist in the future. I am on the pre-med track, but I want to be knowledgeable about pathology before medical school. Are there any college courses that aren't on the pre-med track but will help me understand the topics of pathology better?
Login to comment
2 answers
Updated
Michael J’s Answer
Spend time with a Medical Examiner and read Robbin's Pathology from start to finish. Each Medical Examiner has files with X-rays, images, slides, and reports. Go through 50 of these files. You'll learn a lot and know more than your peers.
Updated
Mark’s Answer
In addition to premed courses (general chemistry, organic chemistry, general biology), courses in immunology and histology, if offered at your university/college, can help you become familiar with pathology and will also help in med school. A course in statistics would help with reading and interpreting pathology/medical papers. Spending time with a medical examiner (a pathologist who is practicing forensic pathology) as already recommended is good. I'd also recommend spending time with a practicing pathologist in a hospital or reference lab (big lab not in a hospital like Quest or Lab Corps) setting to get a feel for what most pathologists do. Spending time in anatomic pathology (surgical pathology [tissue biopsies or organ/tumor resections], cytology [evaluating cell) and clinical pathology (clinical laboratory mainly working with blood and body fluids such as chemistry, microbiology, transfusion medicine, hematology, molecular diagnostics) would give you a broad view of the specialty and what it offers to see if it is for you. Reading Robbins Pathology (which covers mostly anatomical pathology) or another pathology book might be a bit much as it assumes you've had courses in normal human histology, physiology, and biochemistry. So pathology books may seem "above your head" and I don't want you to become discouraged about the specialty. Since you will learn pathology in med school, I think getting practical exposure is more important at your stage than reading books. For me, it is an interesting field that is changing rapidly and never gets boring. I also suggest you check out this website: https://www.cap.org/member-resources/resources-for-medical-students. It gives a lot of information about pathology as a specialty and career.