Skip to main content
3 answers
4
Updated 357 views

Automotive Mechanical Engineering

Walk me through a typical day- what parts excite you most?


4

3 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Sijoy’s Answer

Dear Dre,
It's wonderful to see you diving into automotive mechanical engineering. Each day in this field is an exciting adventure. You will start by checking your schedule and looking at ongoing projects. Mornings might be filled with inspecting vehicles, running tests, and making sure everything, like engines and brakes, works perfectly.

As the day goes on, you will get to solve problems, fix mechanical issues, design improvements, and work closely with technicians. You will also team up with design groups and suppliers to ensure everything is safe and performs well.

What many engineers love most is the mix of hands-on work and creativity. One moment you are analyzing data, and the next, you are making a component more efficient. It's incredibly rewarding to see your ideas come to life in a working vehicle.

This career is all about technical skills, creativity, and teamwork. For someone curious like you, it offers challenges and the joy of knowing your work helps shape how people drive every day.

I wish you all the best as you explore your options.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

William’s Answer

Hi Dre,
It's with great pleasure that I take this opportunity to respond to your question.
I'm a retired mechanical engineer who spent most of his career in the beer industry and mostly in maintenance roles.
One of the things I enjoy most is resolving complex technical problems especially equipment and technology related ones - this has enabled me to significantly contribute to continuous improvement and innovation in the course of my career. The other gift I possess is the ability to think strategically - the trait was picked up by psychometric tests I underwent as part of the requirements for my career development. I was a member of the country strategy team and would often join the sales & marketing group during strategy sessions - this gave me the opportunity to develop a holistic view of the supply chain (supply, logistics and customer service) in addition to providing manufacturing perspective to the teams interfacing directly with the consumer.
I also spent a significant portion of my career training young engineers, technicians and machine operators. Seeing some of them become even better than oneself was truly very gratifying.
Besides, I'm a facilitor of performance management and an internal auditor of quality management systems.
It all boils down to interest, willingness to learn and the career path chosen jointly by the employer and the employee.
Opportunities that come your way have a tendency to take you into areas beyond your current imagination. You need to be willing and ready to embrace them.
I hope you truly find this useful.
Best of luck in your career.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Josep Antonio ’s Answer

Dre,

When working in the field, the day typically started by checking emails, reviewing work from the previous day, and prioritizing follow-ups and action items. Planning the day early helped me stay organized and focused. The work included both team projects and individual assignments. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was quality control (QC), which involved inspecting manufactured parts to ensure they met company and project specifications. Another aspect of the job that was especially enjoyable was having the opportunity to improve existing processes and procedures in the workplace. The role also provided opportunities to work on designs and assemblies for simple machines.

If you are interested in automotive mechanical engineering, I recommend researching automotive companies and where their vehicles are designed and assembled. You can also explore automotive suppliers that specialize in different vehicle components, from engine parts to interior systems. Think about which areas interest you most and research the skills and experience needed for those careers. Starting this research early can help you make informed decisions about your education and career path.
0