Is it better to do a dedicated music therapy program in college, or major/minor in psychology and music?
I have learned that I like performing as a hobby, not as a profession and I don't want to learn how to teach either. I also don't want to learn about all the conditions and treatments of psychology because that is not the focus of music therapy. People say I would be good at being a psychologist, teacher, and performer but I feel like I don't want any of that.
I know I am interested in music therapy, specifically helping people express emotions, but I don't know where to start.
5 answers
MaryAnn’s Answer
I went to school for Music Therapy at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA. The program is nothing short of excellent, You do minor in psychology b/c music therapy is actually a medical field. You have to learn all kinds of things medical bc you will be working in health care, and will be a team member along with a doctor, a medical nurse, a physical and probably an occupational therapist. You will be doing charts and you need to know what all that terminology means in addition to what kinds of medicines affect patients in different ways etc.
I did not go into the field of music therapy - but it was an outstanding college degree.
Good luck !
Mary Ann
Faye’s Answer
Doran’s Answer
I went to a college with a strong jazz program back in the 90's. I wanted to be a jazz musician, but choose to get a music education degree with a jazz minor. Fast forward to 2026 and I have used knowledge learned from music education to jazz performance from then until now. My point is don't try to limit yourself too much. Both psychology and music therepy are excellent choices to major in.
With mental health being emphasized now in American society, psychology would be a great choice.
If I were you I would set a goal for myself to talk to a college advisor about what you should major in. Maybe take some written tests to find out what field of study would be best fitted for you. Even if you don't like the outcome of this idea, at least you will have a good base to start with that will help you choose your major wisely.
When I was in college back in the 90's, I felt like I should be practicing my saxophone rather than taking music education classes. But there was a point in my life when I was married with kids and I needed to take a music teaching job to support my family. So, my second point is sometimes you have to study something you don't want, but as your life unfolds, you may need that knowledge to live a fulfilling life.
Sincerely,
Doran
Michael’s Answer
In your question you plainly state, what it is that you like and what you are truly interested in, and what you don’t wish to do.
Growing up, I found the majority of my work experiences came from just getting a job to make ends meet!
Then in 2000, I found a career that I loved and worked it for 18 years, retired from it, in retirement started doing that business for free and as a volunteer and then a contractor doing it for more money than I did when I worked. Now I am building an organization of my own, doing the same work. That work I love so much is called ‘Counseling’! No one told me that I’d ever be doing it and when I started doing it I knew it was my love!
So my advice to you is to say, follow your heart and remember that in the forest, there are many trees with many leaves and there are no two leaves that are the same. However together in their differences, they make a great forest!
Trust your heart to guide your future passions! Enjoy your life journey and views!
I know you will do well!
Rachel’s Answer
I have a background in both psychology and visual arts, and I eventually went to graduate school for art therapy. Interestingly, my art therapy program at Saint Mary-of-the-woods was right next to the music therapy department, so I got to see some of that world as well.
One thing I would encourage you to think about is not only what you want to study, but what credential you ultimately want and what you'll actually be able to do professionally with the degree. I accumulated a lot of student loan debt, and looking back, I wish I had understood the financial side and career pathways more clearly before pursuing all that education.
At the same time, I can't say the education was wasted. For me it became deeply person. All of that schooling in psychology, counseling, addiction, and creative therapies inadvertently helped me understand MYSELF. It gave me language and tools for understanding my own mental health, addiction, recovery, and healing. In many ways, what I originally pursued as a career ended up becoming part of my own growth.
So my advice would be to research the actual requirements for becoming a music therapist before deciding between music therapy versus psychology/music. Look at accreditation, credentialing, what jobs each degree qualifies you for, expected income, and especially the amount of debt you would need to take on. Then ask yourself whether the education and career at the end of that pat are worth that investment to you.
Creative therapies can be incredibly meaningful work. I'd just go into it with both heart and your eyes open about the financial reality.
Satnam and Namaste,
Rachel