5

How does it feel to have to teach the same thing over and over again?

you prepare a class but then you have to teach it to like 3 other classes, does it get boring and tiring? #teaching #high-school

5

3

Stephenie’s Answer

That's such an interesting question. I find that teaching the same materials/content to 3-4 classes is never boring or tiring for me. Each class has it's own dynamic, and different students that would either make you slow down or speed up in your teaching (I've had students ask me for MORE classwork and practice - they keep me on my feet). I find that it's challenging and at the same time exciting. By the last class, I don't even use my prepared notes anymore, however, I find that I may forget to mention something to them (usually an interesting fact or news) that I had already mentioned to the first two classes. And although I already have prepared homework assignments and notes prepared, depending on the students that day, usually, I forget to mention something about a homework assignment to the first class and remember for the last classes. I don't find teaching the same materials each day 3-4 times boring, because it depends on the teaching style and subject matter in my opinion. If your class encourages discussions, you'll get different responses in each class. If it's just you lecturing, I can understand how it'd be boring and tiring. I'm curious to see what others say about this.

Thank you comment icon I agree fully. I would also add that excellent teachers truly customize every lesson to each class, thinking about the size and make up of the students in each class. Some classes are small and quiet, others are loud and rowdy - you have to have different strategies in mind., and sometimes you even need different activities. Plus, if you make lessons more flexible so that students play a larger role than the teacher (which is ideal), then each class will play out in a unique way. Catherine Castillo
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the information! Andrea H.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the help Teal K.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the info Maeve K.
Thank you comment icon how can I get a good college Joshlynn C.
3
0

Gloria’s Answer

Hi Evely,

I was a corporate training for a long time. There are definitely pros and cons to teaching the same content over and over. The cons include boredom. I once taught a 30-minute class twelve times over two days. Toward the end of it all, I wondered if I had already said that to the people in front of me. It was hard to stay focused. I have also trained several week long new hire training programs. Here is where the pros come in. When you teach something over and over, you learn how the students consume the information. I learned when what I said confused people and was able to change in the next time around. Or if I received questions that I could not answer, I did research to find out the answer. Over time, I ended up with a great learning experience for me and my students. It is nice to be able to teach the same content over and over and yet make it unique every time.

Gloria
0