29
Asked 818 views

What's the best thing about consulting?

What's the best thing about consulting?

29

2

Logan’s Answer

The best thing about consulting is the flexibility and interesting nature of the work. Every day and project will be different.
2
1

Sungwoo (Chunga)’s Answer

Hello Logan,

I'm glad to share with you some significant advantages that come with being a consultant, drawn from my personal journey:

1. You get the chance to rapidly acquire knowledge across a variety of industries and functions. This broadens your perspective and enhances your skills.

2. You gain high visibility among top-tier leaders, which opens up numerous networking opportunities. This can greatly aid your professional growth and future prospects.

3. There's a certain degree of flexibility that comes with the role. You can switch between projects, allowing you to experience different work environments and challenges.

4. The financial rewards can be quite appealing. Consultants often earn a higher salary compared to other roles, plus there are attractive benefits. However, this can vary depending on the company you're associated with.

I hope you find this information useful.
1
0

Maya’s Answer

Hello Logan,

Thanks for your question! I'm in my inaugural year in the consulting sector at a professional services firm and it's been an enriching journey. Every day is a new learning opportunity, expanding my knowledge across diverse industries. This allows me to transfer my learnings to various areas, fostering continuous professional development. Best of luck with your educational endeavors!

I recommend visiting Access Your Potential's website to discover potential career paths such as internships and paid consulting externships for nonprofits. Register to unlock these complimentary programs and more at: accessyourpotential.pwc.com
0
0

James Constantine’s Answer

Hi Logan!

Let's Dive into the Wonders of Consulting!

The most universal thing about consultancy is that you are the recommended expert in your chosen field! Whether you are consulting business clients or consulting medical patients you are providing solutions to complex problems.

Consulting is a treasure trove of opportunities that beckons many professionals. Its most glittering jewel is the chance to immerse oneself in a diverse range of projects spanning various industries. This diversity is a gateway to continuous learning and skill development, as it exposes consultants to a myriad of business challenges and environments. Plus, working alongside talented and seasoned teams offers an invaluable chance to network and collaborate with individuals from a wide array of backgrounds.

The fast-paced world of consulting also paves the way for swift career advancement. Consultants often find themselves privy to high-level decision-making processes within client organizations, fueling their professional growth at a rapid pace. Moreover, consulting firms are known to invest heavily in their employees' training and skill development, providing access to resources that can boost their expertise and make them more sought-after in the market.

But that's not all! Consultants are also in a unique position to make a real difference in their clients' businesses. By offering strategic advice and innovative solutions, they play a pivotal role in the success and expansion of the organizations they serve. This power to bring about positive change and drive significant outcomes can be immensely fulfilling for those in the consulting field.

Moreover, consulting is a dynamic field that thrives on intellectual stimulation and problem-solving. Consultants are constantly pushed to think critically, dissect complex issues, and devise creative strategies, creating an exhilarating and engaging professional journey.

And let's not forget the flexibility that comes with this career path! Despite the demanding schedules and travel, consulting also offers a chance for autonomy and independence. This flexibility is often a magnet for those who value work-life balance and desire more control over their professional endeavors.

To sum it up, the wonders of consulting lie in the endless learning opportunities, swift career advancement, the power to make a significant impact, an intellectually stimulating work environment, and the flexibility that this career path offers.

Key References Used for this Insight:

Harvard Business Review: A prestigious publication offering deep insights into management practices, strategic thinking, and business trends.
McKinsey & Company: A globally recognized management consulting firm renowned for its authoritative research reports and industry expertise.
Deloitte Insights: Deloitte's platform for sharing in-depth research, analysis, and thought leadership on a variety of business topics.
These resources were instrumental in gathering insights into the consulting industry, including the career benefits and professional development opportunities it offers.

Stay Blessed,
James.
0
0

Victoria’s Answer

Hi Logan! A career in consulting can be exciting for many reasons. Many consulting positions allow you to gain experience working on different projects that vary in nature. In addition, many consultants have several different clients that might include companies of different sizes, cultures, and in different industries which can be exciting. Many consulting positions provide opportunities to travel as well. There are several different types of consulting and the projects can be very different depending on the type of consulting career you choose.

0
0

Max’s Answer

Hi Logan!
I would say the best thing about consulting is the freedom it provides to learn about many different industries and gain many different skill sets. I've been in consulting for almost 2 years, and no two projects have been the same. I've been on large projects helping to manage a group of people and conduct workshops, and I've been on small projects with just a few people looking at models and risk assessments. These projects all lend themselves to different ways of thinking, and the skills you gain from one project can be used in the next project and so on. It's also a great way to learn about a multitude of industries and stay up to date with current events that could potentially impact your project.

Another great thing about consulting that goes hand in hand with the first one I mentioned is that when you're on all these different kinds of projects, you get to work with so many different people who all have great ideas and different ways to view things. Some people will be in your same consulting group, and some will be from a different group. I work in Financial Crimes, and I've worked with many people from the Transformation practice and also the Tech and Data practice. It's always interesting to get their perspective on things, and I feel like I always walk away with new skills after working with all these different kinds of people. Collaboration is definitely a key to consulting and one of its best aspects.

Hope this information helps!
0
0

Rei’s Answer

Hello Logan, Here's a perspective based on my journey as a consultant:
1. Engaging with a variety of companies: Consulting offers the chance to collaborate with numerous clients. You'll experience a wide range of companies, each with their unique challenges and solutions.
2. Collaborating with diverse people and teams: You'll likely be teaming up with various groups and individuals within your consulting firm. This dynamic environment means you'll interact with more people than in other jobs where you might be part of the same team for years. It's a great way to understand and learn from different working and leadership styles.
3. Creating a network within your consulting community: Consultants are typically inquisitive individuals, keen on exploring a variety of topics. You'll become part of a network of people doing intriguing things both inside and outside of consulting. Plus, there's often an alumni network that allows you to maintain connections with your colleagues, even after you've moved on from the company.
0
0

Ally’s Answer

I chose a career in consulting to get broad exposure to different industries, functions, and leaders! No day is the same, and I find this fast-paced, creative, and ambiguous working environment very energizing. It's a very collaboration-driven culture, so if you love group projects and working with others to solve complex problems, consulting is a great way to work with others across all tenures. From a content perspective, if you are interested in diving deeper into a specific passion area, or you are open to discovering new industries, consulting is a great career launchpad!
0
0

Taylor’s Answer

Hi Logan.

I went into consulting after college because I thought it would keep the most doors open for me in the future while letting me explore various options. Similar to what many have already said on this thread, I think the flexibility allows you to develop your career in a meaningful way.

My experience has been incredibly positive, so I'd highly recommend considering consulting as a potential career path. That said, I don't think a career in consulting has to happen immediately. I've met many people who worked in other industries and now use those experiences to their benefit in consulting. The point being that entry points into consulting are just as flexible as the job itself.
0
0

Sumona’s Answer

Architecting topline overarching tectonic shifts for the company's 5 year growth plan.
0
0

Christopher’s Answer

After 3 years as a consultant, the things I enjoy most are the diversity of engagements and the improvement in my presentation and project management skills.
As a consultant I'm generally only working on projects for 3-6 months before I switch to something completely different. Each job can be different from the last! So if I dislike any engagement for some reason, I know it will end soon. The variety really helps prevent the job from getting old.
Possibly the most important skill you need as a consultant is the ability to make pretty -and informative- powerpoint slides to share with clients. I make powerpoint slides every day. When you're presenting them to clients though, you need to be calm, professional, and confident. Practice makes perfect and my meeting skills have become so much better since I started consulting. The next most important skill is your ability to keep track of project work and not miss any deadlines. This is handy skill outside of projects. I've started to use task tracking techniques in my regular life to get more done haha.
0
0

Brian’s Answer

In my initial career choice, I happily landed on management consulting. This was a fantastic choice for me as it opened up the exciting world of travel. The best part was, I could save money while exploring new places because my work covered all my expenses on the go. Plus, I was able to rack up those frequent traveler points for some great free vacations!

But the benefits didn't stop at travel. This career path also gave me a ticket to experience a variety of industries. It was like getting a backstage pass to how different businesses operate.

Moreover, it helped me polish my presentation and communication skills. I got to learn from some incredibly intelligent and experienced people who were part of my project team.

And let's not forget about the clients, often C-level executives. Learning from them was an experience in itself. So, all in all, choosing management consulting as my first career was a decision I'll never regret. It was a journey filled with learning, growth, and unforgettable experiences.
0
0

Andre’s Answer

One of the greatest parts is that you get the chance to interact with a variety of clients, gaining a wide range of insights into numerous businesses, and this allows you to learn a lot in a short time. The teammates you collaborate with are usually youthful, providing a great opportunity to forge strong bonds of teamwork. Plus, you acquire valuable skills that can be used in many areas, like managing your time effectively, communicating clearly, and performing well even when the pressure is on.
0
0

Gina’s Answer

Consulting offers a vibrant mix of clients and projects that injects a sense of thrill into your work. It's a field that encourages ongoing education, professional development, and making a real-world impact. It also opens doors to networking opportunities, offers flexibility, and stimulates your intellect. All these elements come together to form a dynamic work environment that keeps consultants inspired, actively involved, and deeply satisfied with their work.
0
0

Patricia’s Answer

Consulting can serve as an exciting gateway into the realm of business. It offers the thrill of travel and the opportunity to gain insights into diverse businesses. However, the lifestyle can be demanding, especially with the constant concern over billable hours. There may come a time when you feel exhausted, but remember, this is a fantastic platform for learning about the vast opportunities that exist. It's a stepping stone that can lead you to the next exciting chapter in your career. So, embrace the journey and look forward to the growth that awaits.
0
0

Alisha’s Answer

Hello Logan,

That's an excellent question! In my view, consulting is an incredibly rewarding career choice. It opens up a world of possibilities, allowing you to work with a wide range of corporations and businesses, from small to mid-sized firms. Moreover, it paves the way for you to establish your own freelance enterprise with ease.

One of the most exciting aspects of consulting is the diversity of the projects you'll be involved in. Each one is unique, ensuring that your work remains dynamic and engaging. Additionally, consulting provides the opportunity to interact with both external clients and internal stakeholders, enriching your professional network and experience.

The beauty of consulting lies in its unpredictability - no two days are the same. This keeps your work life interesting and stimulating. So, if you're looking for a career that's both challenging and fulfilling, consulting could be the perfect fit for you!
0
0

Doris’s Answer

I picked consulting as my initial job after college, as it offered the chance to engage with diverse companies and tackle various problems. This experience broadened my horizons and enriched my skills. It also boosted my business knowledge and equipped me with a versatile toolkit for any business sector. Plus, the travel aspect added an exciting element during the early stages of my career.
0
0