Best way to be successful in online classes?
As a current online only student you are required to be self disciplined and highly motivated. However is there any other tips for success that anyone has particularly in regards to balancing your family life, work, and school?
With more and more colleges offering online courses this is a question that comes up often. The best advice I can give you is to learn excellent time management skills. Currently, I advise students that are doing their entire degree program online, and they all agree that time management is crucial for success in an online environment. I will say that just because a course is online does not mean it is easier. On the contrary, many of the students I work with have said that online learning can be challenging. Be prepared to work hard and dedicate a lot of time to your course. Sharpening your writing skills will also be helpful, as online courses are heavy in writing. Remember to keep the lines of communication opened between you and your professors. Just because a course is online does not mean you cannot reach out to them. At CUNY SPS, where I work the advisors and students work very closely making sure their transition to online learning is a positive one. An advisor is a resource that strongly encourage students to take advantage of.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Arianna recommends the following next steps:
-Be present - avoid distractions
-Invest in yourself
-Be brave in your thoughts
You've come to the right place! Online classes are very convenient and I took a lot of them during my undergrad career. Here is how to be successful in them:
- Stay on track - do assignments early, finish things a head of time, and be aware of all of your deadlines
- do all the the assignments and read all of the coursework required- do not cut corners
- use Google calendar to keep track of deadlines
- communicate with your professor early if something comes up
- do not be afraid to ask for an extension if you need one
- study, and study a lot! you don't have regular class sessions so you will need to put in more work at home.
- Do your best and genuinely try hard to give it your all.