3 answers
Updated
749 views
What are some ways to find and have a good chance at landing Cybersecurity internships that will give me meaningful and practical experience ?
I am planning on pursuing a career in the Cybersecurity or Criminology fields, or both, once I graduate with my Bachelors in both.
Login to comment
3 answers
Updated
Shivam’s Answer
Hi Dustin! It's so great to see more people developing an interest in the cybersecurity field these days.
Cybersecurity is a vast and diverse domain, so it’s important to identify which areas truly spark your interest. I’m currently working as a Cloud Security Engineer, and I can vouch for the fact that a few key skills helped me transition from a software engineering background into cybersecurity - namely, a solid understanding of the cloud (especially AWS) and developing a strong security mindset. That means getting comfortable with the fundamentals like API security, application security, CI/CD pipelines, log monitoring and analysis, and more.
To explore different career paths within cybersecurity, I highly recommend checking out CyberSeek - cyberseek.org/pathway.html. It’s a great resource to understand potential roles and the skills or certifications that align with each.
Also, try volunteering for projects in your labs and take time to network with industry professionals - those connections and real-world experiences can offer invaluable insights.
Cybersecurity is a vast and diverse domain, so it’s important to identify which areas truly spark your interest. I’m currently working as a Cloud Security Engineer, and I can vouch for the fact that a few key skills helped me transition from a software engineering background into cybersecurity - namely, a solid understanding of the cloud (especially AWS) and developing a strong security mindset. That means getting comfortable with the fundamentals like API security, application security, CI/CD pipelines, log monitoring and analysis, and more.
To explore different career paths within cybersecurity, I highly recommend checking out CyberSeek - cyberseek.org/pathway.html. It’s a great resource to understand potential roles and the skills or certifications that align with each.
Also, try volunteering for projects in your labs and take time to network with industry professionals - those connections and real-world experiences can offer invaluable insights.
Edmond Momartin ☁️
Cybersecurity Risk & Compliance | MBA InfoSec | OWASP-LA Board
100
Answers
Los Angeles, California
Updated
Edmond’s Answer
This might sound too simplistic but I would say just apply. Many large corporations offer summer internships, and there's always more applicants than available spots.
Check out the local chapters of cybersecurity non-profits. Most offer in-person events which provide a great opportunity to ask questions, and even find internships. These are OWASP (owasp.org), ISC2 (isc2.org), ISSA (issa.org), Cloud Security Alliance (cloudsecurityalliance.org), etc.
Check out the local chapters of cybersecurity non-profits. Most offer in-person events which provide a great opportunity to ask questions, and even find internships. These are OWASP (owasp.org), ISC2 (isc2.org), ISSA (issa.org), Cloud Security Alliance (cloudsecurityalliance.org), etc.
Updated
Donna’s Answer
Dustin;
I have worked with several interns at Verizon. Although I am not in Cyber Security, I am sure Verizon has several areas of study which college students are interested in.
I have included the Verizon internship website below. I invite you to look through the qualifications and job categories. If you end up at Verizon for your internship. Please look up Donna Hull on the EWeb and give me a shout out.
https://mycareer.verizon.com/life-at-verizon/students-internships/
I have worked with several interns at Verizon. Although I am not in Cyber Security, I am sure Verizon has several areas of study which college students are interested in.
I have included the Verizon internship website below. I invite you to look through the qualifications and job categories. If you end up at Verizon for your internship. Please look up Donna Hull on the EWeb and give me a shout out.
Donna recommends the following next steps: