Skip to main content
5 answers
6
Asked 859 views

Incoming 2nd year BSCE student considering shifting to PolSci, am I wasting a good opportunity, What would you do?

I’m an incoming 2nd year BS Civil Engineering student, and I have about a week before enrollment to decide whether to continue CE or shift to Political Science. I’d really appreciate advice from anyone who has gone through something similar.

I chose CE because it’s basically the only path I’ve ever imagined for myself. It was my childhood dream, and my dad also has an engineering firm, so if I graduate as an engineer I already have connections and a position in the future. That’s a big reason why leaving feels like such a huge risk.

However, I’m starting to question whether engineering is actually right for me. I’m not naturally good at math and it takes me a long time to understand it. I’ve already failed some subjects and become delayed, and while I know engineering is difficult for everyone, I also know I’m not very motivated to spend hours practicing math and solving problems.

What’s confusing is that I actually do very well in my minor/general subjects. I’m much better at reading, writing, research, speaking, debate, analyzing things, literature, etc. I’ve even had professors from those subjects ask if I’ve considered shifting because they thought I was good at them. If I had to choose between staying up all night reading cases/research and staying up all night solving math problems, I’d much rather do the former.

My department has also been a major factor. I recently went through a really bad situation and some experiences with professors in my department made it worse. It was kind of a last straw after already having several bad experiences. I’ve lost a lot of motivation because of the environment and people around me in my course. My parents have actually told me that they’re okay with me staying if I genuinely want to endure CE, but they’d rather I shift if I don’t see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

I’m already delayed despite choosing my school partly because of its trimester system. I hoped to graduate early, but failed/retaken subjects and prerequisite scheduling have made it difficult to take a full load. I don’t mind graduating 6 months or even a year late, but I’m worried about continuing to struggle and possibly failing more subjects.
That’s why I’m considering shifting now while I’m only entering 2nd year. The downside is that very few of my CE subjects would transfer, so I’d lose most of the progress from my first year. I feel guilty about the time and money already spent, especially because I have such a good opportunity through my dad. But I also wonder if losing one year now is better than realizing several years later that I should have shifted.

I’m considering Political Science because I genuinely think it fits my strengths and interests much better. My school also has a strong law-related program. I have a friend in PolSci who says their department is actually good and that their professors are qualified, which makes me more interested in it.

At the same time, I’m scared that I’m just burnt out and looking for an escape from engineering. Maybe I just need to become more disciplined and learn how to deal with math better. I don’t want to leave a very good opportunity just because I’m struggling right now. But I also don’t want to stay simply because CE because I feel guilty about the time and money already spent.

If you were in my position, would you stay in CE and push through, or seriously consider shifting to a field that seems more suited to you?

For those who have shifted before, how did you know you genuinely needed to leave rather than just being burnt out or struggling with college? And if you stayed in a course you once considered leaving, did you eventually become happier with your decision?

I’m really conflicted because both choices have a major downside, and enrollment is next week. I’d especially appreciate perspectives from other students who have been in a similar situation.


6

5 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jean Noel’s Answer

Hi - You are not wasting an opportunity—you are evaluating whether a path laid out for you actually fits the person you are becoming.

Having a safety net like your dad’s engineering firm is a rare advantage, which is why leaving it feels so heavy. But a safety net is only valuable if you actually want to walk the tightrope. Running a firm or working in civil engineering requires a foundational mastery of engineering concepts, a baseline comfort with technical problem-solving, and—most importantly—the drive to push through complex systems when things get tough.

Here is an honest breakdown of your situation and how to differentiate between temporary burnout and a fundamental misalignment.

---

### Burnout vs. Genuine Misalignment

Burnout and misalignment feel almost identical on the surface, but they stem from completely different sources:

* **Burnout** happens when you love (or at least value) the core subject matter, but you are physically, mentally, or emotionally exhausted by the environment, workload, or toxic faculty interactions. When a burnt-out student imagines graduating and practicing the profession in a healthy environment, they still feel a spark of excitement.
* **Misalignment** happens when the core tasks of the field run directly counter to your natural strengths, values, and interests. You aren't just exhausted by the workload; you actively dread the nature of the work itself (e.g., choosing case studies over math problems isn't just about ease—it's about where your brain finds flow).

In your case, you have **clear indicators of structural misalignment**, compounded by an unsupportive departmental environment:

1. **Natural Skill Alignment:** Your professors in general education subjects actively noticed your strengths in debate, writing, and analysis.
2. **Motivation Source:** You would willingly choose overnight reading and research over math practice. Motivation follows natural interest; forcing discipline in a subject you dislike takes triple the energy.
3. **Environment Toxic Shock:** Bad faculty and a hostile environment erode the resilience required to push through subjects you already find difficult.

---

### The "Sunk Cost" & Dad's Firm Factor

* **The Sunk Cost Fallacy:** One year of tuition and time is a small price to pay compared to 3–4 more years of academic misery, followed by a 40-year career in a field you dread. Losing 12 months in your early twenties is virtually invisible in the long run.
* **The Family Business Reality:** Graduating with a BSCE isn't the *only* way to be part of an engineering firm or leverage connections. Construction firms, consultancies, and engineering companies rely heavily on corporate lawyers, policy advisors, contract managers, public relations specialists, and operations leaders. A Political Science degree (especially as a pre-law track) could eventually position you to handle corporate compliance, government contracts, or legal counsel for your family's business or similar industries.

---

### What I Would Do in Your Position

If I were in your shoes, **I would make the shift to Political Science now.**

Here is why:

1. **You have parental support:** Your parents explicitly told you they prefer you shift if you don't see yourself in CE long-term. Having family support removes the biggest hurdle most shifting students face.
2. **Engineering compounds:** Upper-level Civil Engineering (Structural, Hydrology, Geotechnical, Transportation) relies heavily on the foundational math/physics subjects you are currently struggling with and getting delayed in. Pushing through gets harder, not easier.
3. **Your momentum is in PolSci:** You already have validation from professors, a network in the department, and an active interest in the coursework.

---

### Actionable Next Steps Before Enrollment Week

1. **Map Out the Credit Transfer:** Sit down with the PolSci department advisor this week. Bring your transcript. Find out exactly which General Education (GE) units transfer so you know your actual timeline to graduation.
2. **Have an Honest Chat with Your Dad:** Explain that you aren't rejecting his hard work or the industry—you are leaning into your natural strengths (law, policy, analysis). Frame it around how your skill set could still complement business, contracts, or public policy down the road.
3. **Commit 100% to the Choice:** Whichever decision you make by next week, drop the "what ifs." If you shift, treat PolSci with the seriousness of a new craft, build your GPA back up, and dive into debate, research, or pre-law tracks.

Shedding a childhood dream is uncomfortable, but swapping a forced ambition for a genuine strength is usually where real success starts.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Kim’s Answer

Blooming,

If you can't picture yourself working in Engineering, then it's time for a change. Whether PolySci is the right change is a different question. You mentioned Law as a possibility.

If you think the professors you encountered in Engineering are jerks, compare them to law school! What I'm saying is that these sort of people are everywhere! You need to learn how to deal with them without letting them get to you. Talking to counselors could help.

I would suggest you do an Interest Survey/career aptitude test, or other survey, to see what fields of study would be a good fit for you. There are some available on-line. Do several of them, and see what answers seem to pop up the most. Google "what major is right for me?" and several good ones pop up.

You might also consider taking a semester off from school while you sort this out, if possible. It's a big decision.

Best of luck,
Kim
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Seamus C’s Answer

I started my career in a field similar to political science, within the social sciences. A degree in the humanities can give you a great understanding of how the world and economies work. To make the most of it, consider pairing it with a master's degree or an internship ( I myself did a business conversion degree, got a graduate opportunity with a big4 firm, and got into security). This extra step can help you gain practical experience, making it easier to find a job. It's wonderful to have passion for this field. Before making a decision, talk to local guidance counselors and explore your future options.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Karin’s Answer

Hi Blooming,

I can understand why you are reluctant to take the plunge and make the switch to political science. But if you don't have an interest in civil engineering and don't want to work in the engineering field, it would be really hard to get your degree and a really miserable working life to follow. Of course there is the sunk cost fallacy "I have already spent so much time and money", but you would only spend more time and money before you switch or burn out or end up utterly miserable in your life. On the grand scale of your life, a semester or a year more is absolutely nothing.

You are not taking this decision lightly. You have already demonstrated that you are enjoy and are good in courses that are more about reading, writing, speaking, debating and such things. Law school might be a really good choice for you. It seems you have supportive, understanding parents. That's good! So, you are not jumping without a safety net.

Switching majors at university is more common than you might think. Finding the right course for yourself can take some time. I would say, give it a go and see how you like it. If you are not yet quite ready, take a semester or a year off from university, maybe do some internships, before you make a decision. Talk to a career counselor at your university and maybe take an aptitude test. At the end of the day, it's better to consider your options and interests now than later.

I hope this helps! All the best to you!

KP
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Lorna’s Answer

Whether you stay or change will be up to you, but if your professors are a big issue for you than the Rate My Professors site is a great way to know which classes to join. I don't think they do ratings for the professors in the Philippines but a quick google pulled up this site https://www.academicjobs.com/en-ph/rate-my-professor that seems to so that might be worth a shot. Also, it is worth considering that many situations can be a both rather than an either or. Maybe you are a little burned out and at the same time need to change majors. I think it would be good whether you change majors or not to experiment with different things to reduce stress or help you organize your time to schedule downtime in and see if that helps. Another thing you can do is some colleges put up recordings or classes online for free. If you are worried that you would otherwise like your current major but are being put off just by the professors, then try skimming some of those to see if you understand/like that better. Sometimes it is really just bad professors in which case you could try the rate my prof site to try scheduling with better professors at your school if you can or stay with your professors as is and supplement with some of those online lectures/resources. Otherwise, if you just don't enjoy the major at all it is probably time to switch.
0