2 answers
Asked
72 views
Do I need a specific major/ degree for hr, can I stick with my major or should I change it?
I’m a second year college student with a history major and planning to minor in communications.
Login to comment
2 answers
Updated
Everett’s Answer
Hi Maryam,
HR is a great field to work in (I might be a little biased, considering that is the field I am in)!
For me, in college, I hopped majors a few times to have a better understanding of what I enjoy and could create a career out of. After a few years, I ended up finishing my degree in business management, with a focus in HR analytics.
I truly believe my business degree allowed me to stand out to employers more, and I was able to get an HR job right out of college.
While I believe that HR is a field that doesn’t need the business/HR degree to be successful in, it can be a really strong selling point to companies looking to hire entry-level HR personnel. Especially in this current job market, where there are so many, talented, young people looking to start their careers at this time.
My final word of advice is, if HR is truly the field you want to go into, I would recommend switching your major. You are still considerably early on in your college career, and if it is doable, don’t hesitate to take the leap. College is the perfect place for you learn, grow, and try new things.
HR is a great field to work in (I might be a little biased, considering that is the field I am in)!
For me, in college, I hopped majors a few times to have a better understanding of what I enjoy and could create a career out of. After a few years, I ended up finishing my degree in business management, with a focus in HR analytics.
I truly believe my business degree allowed me to stand out to employers more, and I was able to get an HR job right out of college.
While I believe that HR is a field that doesn’t need the business/HR degree to be successful in, it can be a really strong selling point to companies looking to hire entry-level HR personnel. Especially in this current job market, where there are so many, talented, young people looking to start their careers at this time.
My final word of advice is, if HR is truly the field you want to go into, I would recommend switching your major. You are still considerably early on in your college career, and if it is doable, don’t hesitate to take the leap. College is the perfect place for you learn, grow, and try new things.
Updated
Jean Noel’s Answer
Hi - **No, you do not need a specific HR degree to go into Human Resources, and you do not need to change your major.**
A major in **History** paired with a minor in **Communications** is actually a surprisingly strong combination for HR. HR leaders consistently report that while technical HR rules can be learned on the job, the core human skills—written communication, critical thinking, research, and understanding human systems—are what make someone excel in the field.
---
## Why History + Communications Works for HR
| Your Background | How It Translates to HR |
| --- | --- |
| **History Major** | HR requires analyzing complex documentation, interpreting employment laws/policies, investigating workplace issues, and writing clear, evidence-based reports. |
| **Communications Minor** | HR is fundamentally about people messaging—employee relations, conflict resolution, internal communications, onboarding, and interviewing candidates. |
---
## What You Should Do Instead of Changing Majors
Rather than adding semesters or tuition costs by changing your major, build HR-specific qualifications alongside your degree:
1. **Target HR Internships Early:**
* Look for summer internships titled *HR Generalist Intern*, *Talent Acquisition/Recruiting Intern*, or *People Operations Intern*. Practical experience completely overshadows your major on a resume.
2. **Gain On-Campus HR Experience:**
* Apply for student worker jobs in your university’s Central HR office, Student Employment office, or Career Center.
* Take on leadership roles in campus clubs (especially roles involving recruitment, conflict resolution, or event planning).
3. **Earn an Entry-Level Certification:**
* Consider studying for the **aPHR** (Associate Professional in Human Resources) by HRCI during your senior year. It proves to recruiters that you understand HR concepts, labor laws, and compliance regardless of your major.
4. **Take 1-2 Elective Courses:**
* If available, take electives in Organizational Psychology, Industrial Psychology, Employment Law, or Business Management.
---
## Next Steps to Evaluate
If you're unsure which branch of HR fits your skills best (e.g., recruiting vs. employee relations vs. HR operations), we can break down the different sub-fields and what entry-level roles look like.
A major in **History** paired with a minor in **Communications** is actually a surprisingly strong combination for HR. HR leaders consistently report that while technical HR rules can be learned on the job, the core human skills—written communication, critical thinking, research, and understanding human systems—are what make someone excel in the field.
---
## Why History + Communications Works for HR
| Your Background | How It Translates to HR |
| --- | --- |
| **History Major** | HR requires analyzing complex documentation, interpreting employment laws/policies, investigating workplace issues, and writing clear, evidence-based reports. |
| **Communications Minor** | HR is fundamentally about people messaging—employee relations, conflict resolution, internal communications, onboarding, and interviewing candidates. |
---
## What You Should Do Instead of Changing Majors
Rather than adding semesters or tuition costs by changing your major, build HR-specific qualifications alongside your degree:
1. **Target HR Internships Early:**
* Look for summer internships titled *HR Generalist Intern*, *Talent Acquisition/Recruiting Intern*, or *People Operations Intern*. Practical experience completely overshadows your major on a resume.
2. **Gain On-Campus HR Experience:**
* Apply for student worker jobs in your university’s Central HR office, Student Employment office, or Career Center.
* Take on leadership roles in campus clubs (especially roles involving recruitment, conflict resolution, or event planning).
3. **Earn an Entry-Level Certification:**
* Consider studying for the **aPHR** (Associate Professional in Human Resources) by HRCI during your senior year. It proves to recruiters that you understand HR concepts, labor laws, and compliance regardless of your major.
4. **Take 1-2 Elective Courses:**
* If available, take electives in Organizational Psychology, Industrial Psychology, Employment Law, or Business Management.
---
## Next Steps to Evaluate
If you're unsure which branch of HR fits your skills best (e.g., recruiting vs. employee relations vs. HR operations), we can break down the different sub-fields and what entry-level roles look like.