75
Asked 5677 views

What is the hardest thing about being a manager?

I would really like to be a manager or CEO one day. What is the hardest part about managing a team? What do you like best about it?

Thank you! #technology #management #leadership #human-resources

75

6

Jason’s Answer

The hardest part of managing a team is TIME. You want to spend time communicating and giving lots and lots of feedback to the team on final product. Unfortunately, your role as a Sr. Leader will pull you in directions that may not allow you to see that final product or watch your team work as closely as you like (budgets, shareholders, press, strategy sessions with your boss, etc.) The best advice I got for leadership was a 5 step process and it has served me well: 1. Set Clear Expectations--no one can get there if they don't know where they are going, 2. Educate to those Expectations-- you have to SHOW THEM what success looks like, 3, Hold the Team Accountable--celebrate the wins and learn from the failures, but don't ignore them 4. Be Consistent in your Leadership--they should be able to anticipate your moves because you are so consistent, and when you are not, make sure you tell them why, and 5. Reward and Recognize--if you want good performance you have to provide specific, immediate, and meaningful feedback to see it repeated. Hope this helps!

6
3

Doug’s Answer

Being a manager can be challenging for many reasons. Managing different personalities can be a challenge. One of the biggest challenges for me has been keeping work/life balance. Being a manager may require you to always have your phone on during off hours which may upset your family members. This is where you have to create trust with your teams and delegate duties so that you are able to disconnect when needed.

Thank you comment icon I completely agree! Jeniffer Palma
3
2

Robert’s Answer

For me, the hardest thing about managing a team is the differences in opinions and knowing that you are LEADING and not ORDERING. I was really young when I was put into a management position. I thought this meant I was the "boss" and people would listen to me simply because i had a title attached to my name. Your team has to trust you, they have to respect you, and most of all, they need to feel respected and trusted as well. Value their input and opinions, and i have no doubt you'll make a great leader someday. Great question.
Thank you comment icon Totally agree, Robert. Listening, empowering, and building trust are key to great management. John Hendrickson
2
2

Sanjeeva’s Answer

There are many challenges being a manager of people.
The word people, many work environments are very diverse and there are many different opinions and work styles.
Therefore finding a common ground that works for the team to achieve the objectives set forth is a tough and important one.
As a people manager, it’s important to let people that report to you or look up to you to grow into their role and feel empowered.
There are times when you want to step in and advice and course correct however for the betterment of the person it helps to let them figure it out through experience, both good and bad. You have to use common sense at times and jump in if something bad is going to happen to your project or team, however less management the better.
Finally it’s all about the environment you create, it’s important to create one where your people challenge you and are free to share their opinions about doing best for the team.

2
2

Jeff’s Answer

The biggest challenge is to learn to adapt your coaching style to what fits best for your direct reports. It would be great if you could just say Do X, Do Y. then they get done. However, that is rarely the case. You may have one employee who does a great job, but you need to give them very clear, very detailed instructions. Another employee tends to lose focus and not do the task by the deadlines, so for that person you need to learn to constantly follow up and set short terms tasks so you know that they are working on the project efficiently and able to complete by the deadline. Another employee you realize after working with just isn't a good fit and you need to let them go. So learning how to manage a variety of employees and also to identify what works best for each employee is most challenging.
2
1

Ryan’s Answer

Hi Ali,

I started managing people early on in my career. It started in the Marines and continued through the last 20 years of my career and I have been a student and teacher of conscious leadership. But in the beginning, I discovered that managing a team is a complex and nuanced task. One of the most challenging aspects was learning to balance the multiple responsibilities that came with the role. I had to prioritize my time effectively and make decisions that impacted not only my team but also the larger organization.

In my experience, dealing with conflict is another tough aspect of being a manager. I learned that I needed to be diplomatic and empathetic in my approach, using the communication skills I developed during my time in the Marines to create a positive work environment.

Moreover, motivating and engaging employees was a constant challenge. I had to find ways to inspire my team, provide constructive feedback, and recognize their achievements, all while managing diverse personalities. I found that adapting my leadership style to accommodate individual differences helped create an inclusive atmosphere.

Another significant aspect of my managerial role was developing employees, which involved identifying their strengths and weaknesses and providing targeted support and guidance. This process was challenging but rewarding, as I could see the positive impact it had on the team members.

As a manager, I also had to make tough decisions that affected the entire team and organization. These decisions were often emotionally challenging, but my experience in the Marines and my study of conscious leadership taught me to approach these situations with resilience and clarity.

Lastly, maintaining a work-life balance was another challenge I faced. I learned that it was essential to strike a balance between my professional and personal life, especially when dealing with high workloads and being responsible for my team's well-being.
1
1

Phoebe’s Answer

The hardest thing being a manager is letting an employee go for underperforming after you have tried everything to keep them afloat in vain. It leaves you thinking , is there anything else that I left out that could have been done to save them? But at the end of the day hard decisions have to be done!
1
1

Mauro’s Answer

Being a manager is rewarding. You can help people grow, coach and inspire them. Because no person is the same, there is also a lot of learning involved. The toughest part of the job is having to make decisions that could negatively impact people's lives (e.g. letting people go), especially during tough times.
1
0

Mradul’s Answer

I feel like being a manager is more difficult as compared to being an engineer.
Manager is someone who have to deal with people with versatile personalities, have to take care of all their requirements, whether his/her employees are getting updated as per the latest technologies.

Manager need to do stress management as well as he/she has to be on call with multiple customer accounts, he/she should be aware of all the activities going on in the different customer accounts.

So, these are some of the hardest thing which i feel is difficult for being a manager.
0
0

Howard’s Answer

There are many challenges in regard to being a manager. I think the first thing to look at is to identity your own strengths and weaknesses, Second take time to find the strengths and weaknesses of your employees you are supervising. As you look to delegate and assign responsibilities to your employees, consider aligning employee strengths with job duties. As far as your own weaknesses, look for employees that are strong in those areas.

Also, an important skill is to identify how best to approach your employees when having to discuss job performance or even corrective actions. All people do not receive constructive criticism in the same manner. Some employees need a little encouraging while others want you to just get to the point.
0
0

Wilson’s Answer

Time, personalities, and competing priorities. Juggling the needs of each team members and needs of external stakeholders while keeping everyone's focus on the strategic objectives of the group.
0
0

KRISTY’s Answer

I think the most difficult thing about being a manager is dealing with subordinates who are unwilling, but able. In reality, this means that the employee is able to perform his or her duties and tasks, but is unwilling for one reason or another. As a manager, you have provided all of the training and coaching necessary and the employee has the skills, but refuses to follow directions. This employee requires discipline and performance management plan, up to and including termination if behavior does change. This negativity can impact your entire team and office. The morale can suffer from just one person so as a manager, you need to address these issues immediately.
0
0

Jonathan’s Answer

There’s many things being a manager has taught me, one of the hardest things to do is being able to take bad criticism and turn it around. We’re all humans and we all have feelings, sometimes we do things unintentionally that could come off in a negative way to others. I once had a manager that sat me down and asked what he could do better and he didn’t want me to hold back at all. He made sure to work on what myself and others disliked about him. Once I became a manager myself that was a tough conversation to have because there were little things I unintentionally did that came off as rude, but I made sure to work on them to ensure my team felt better. One of my favorite things as a manager is knowing my team can come to me with any problems, good or bad and know that I will work with them.
0
0

Pam’s Answer

To be an effective manager, it's important to understand and be aware of the different learning styles and motivations of the members of your team. Each person is different so there's a need to be adaptable to various styles. Also, knowing how to stay one step ahead of your leader is key to success.
0
0

Nicholas’s Answer

Hire the right people for the role. Enable your team to succeed. Coaching and development. Having difficult conversations with underperform people.
0
0

Audrietta’s Answer

What I like best about being a manager is helping my team members develop, finding their gifts and talents and putting them to good use. I love seeing my folks grow into what they didn't even consider as their abilities. The hardest part is making sure that I give attention to what they need considering so many competing priorities. But that's the joy of it all. I learned to be intentional about helping them to thrive. Sometimes that means the learn, grow and then leave for bigger and better, but that's ok too. You feel rewarded by knowing that you had a hand in their growth.
0
0

Stacy’s Answer

The hardest part about being a manager for me is Time and Flexibility to adapt my communication style and learning style to each person on my team. Time challenges have to do with learning how to juggle time to complete the deliverables I have as a manager but also make sure I have enough time to provide guidance, mentoring and coaching for my team is a huge challenge. Adapting Communication Styles and Learning Styles to each person on my team is critical to effective communication, building trust and helping each person reach his/her goals. I believe managing people is a balance of teaching and psychology and if you are in management it should be to help people grow and develop to be the best they can be which will help the team and company be the best they can be.