What jobs are available right after college after having a minor in Human Resource Management?

I am a college sophmore with a goal of becoming a Human Resources Manager someday. human-resources leadership

7

Kimberly’s Answer

Hi! You have plenty of options as listed above. There are two directions to sum it up: HR Generalist and HR Specialist. An HR Generalist will focus on a little bit of everything in HR while an HR Specialist will focus on one area (Example: Benefits).

To start off a career, a majority of people become recruiters and/or HR assistants/intern. I started mine as an assistant to learn the basic ropes of what it meant to be in HR. I also recommend joining a local SHRM chapter, whether in your area or your college. You can research HR professionals on LinkedIn and ask to shadow them/have a conversation with them about their HR careers. Everyone had a different starting point in this field, so it will be great for you to get some options.

Lastly, I recommend looking into a Master's Degree for HR Management. I received mine a few years ago and it has really helped me in the field.
1

Emitom’s Answer

Hi Harmony!

In addition to more traditional Human Resources roles listed in other responses, there is also the opportunity to seek a job in HR consulting. In this role, you have the ability to help clients solve HR-related problems across many areas including Talent Management, Workforce Strategy, HR Technology, Change Management, Compensation & Benefits, and Diversity & Inclusion. I started my career in HR consulting out of school and found it to be a very fulfilling way to quickly enhance my skill set, learn a lot about the HR field, and narrow down my interests before jumping into an HR practitioner role.

As Kimberly and Claudia mentioned, pursuing an advanced degree or certification in the HR field can be useful, but it is often not a pre-requisite to starting a career in HR, especially since you already have a minor relevant in the field. I pursued my PHR certification through HRCI a couple of years into my career, which was nice because my company paid for my training and exam and I was also able to put my existing knowledge to use.

Please reach out if you have other questions!

Hello Emitom, thank you. This is something to add to my plan. Harmony D.

0

Wayne’s Answer

Hi Harmony,

There are numerous possibilities available to students who choose to pursue a human resource management degree that allows them to build relationships with employees and use their problem-solving skills. Below are common positions students may pursue after receiving a degree in human resource management:

1. Human resources assistant
2. Payroll specialist
3. Office manager
4. Training coordinator
5. Recruiter
6. Human resources specialist
7. Human resources manager
8. Employee relations manager
9. Benefits manager
10. Labor relations specialist
11. Compensation manager

Source: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/what-can-i-do-with-a-human-resource-management-degree

0

Wayne’s Answer

Hi Harmony,

1. Human resources assistant
2. Payroll specialist
3. Office manager
4. Training coordinator
5. Recruiter
6. Human resources specialist
7. Human resources manager
8. Employee relations manager
9. Benefits manager
10. Labor relations specialist
11. Compensation manager

Thank you! Harmony D.

0

Claudia’s Answer

You can look for roles like HR coordinator/assistant or recruiter. Those tend to be more entry-level. Depending on what your major is, you may be eligible to take your SHRM certification exam right away or you may have to wait a few years, but this will be helpful for you to have as well.

Thank you. This was very insightful. Harmony D.

0

Danitra’s Answer

I would say any job related to human resources.
0

Samantha’s Answer

- Consulting role because you are working and managing numerous teams. This grants you the opportunity to lead customers and other team members.
- Proposal Manager - you work with higher level executives and manage the proposal process. Within the role you work with a ton of different sectors (Public, Private, Nonprofit) and can explore different roles within them.

Thank you so much. This is another information I can have to further my career. Harmony D.

0