What jobs in the medical field involve working with the elderly?

6

I'm not entirely sure if a "geriatric" is a doctor type but it sounds interesting. #doctor #medicine #medical #healthcare

6

1
From experiences, almost all fields in healthcare involve working with the elderly. If you are considering careers involve working with elderly, I would recommend either as therapists and nursing. As a therapists, there are various types, such as physical therapists, occupational therapists, recreational therapists, speech-language pathologists and more, as well as audiologists, psychotherapists, nurses and physicians, such as geriatricians. There are more elder that has an increased risk for dementia, strokes, heart attacks and other diseases. With some of these professions that you can choose from in all these fields, you can chose to specialize in working with seniors and/or elder.
Thanks for the answer, David! I'll look into therapy a bit more! Iqra T. Translate
1

Mallory’s Answer

1
If you are interested in becoming a physician or medical doctor you could look into Family Medicine (they treat patients of all ages) or Internal Medicine because a lot of these programs will offer Fellowships or specific training in Geriatrics.
Thank you! Iqra T. Translate
1

Katie’s Answer

1
Almost all field in healthcare involve working with the elderly. As our older population increases in numbers, they need the same services as everyone else. Especially consider careers as therapists of various types, such as physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech-language pathologists, as well as audiologists, psychotherapists, nurses and physicians, such as geriatricians. Older people have an increased risk for dementia, strokes, heart attacks and other diseases, and professionals in all of these fields can choose to specialize in working with seniors.

Katie recommends the following next steps:

• Your first step would be to learn more about each of these fields from their professional associations. Notice how much education is involved for the professionals and for any certified assistants they might have, such as certified occupational therapy assistants (COTAs).
Thanks so much for your answer! Iqra T. Translate
1

Katie’s Answer

1
Geriatric means referring to older people; a geriatrician is a physician who is specially qualified to work with seniors. It's a medical specialty.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion Katie! Iqra T. Translate
1

Aicha’s Answer

0
Hi!

I will say that there are plenty of healthcare occupations that will have you working with elders! You should look into CNA, LPN, RN, physician assistant, I am not sure what the medical term is for it but you can be a nurse in a facility that specifies in colonoscopies (they tend to see older patients), etc. There are alot of options out there for you! Take some time and research some of the occupations.

Good luck.
0

Estelle’s Answer

0
Geriatricians can run their own clinics or work in nursing homes or work for long term care facilities. The job can be very fulfilling as you take care of elderly people. I learn some of my most valuable life lessons my my elderly patients, and they are often some of the most grateful for the care they receive from people who show sincere concern.
0