Would you recommend a career in General Surgery?

I’m considering going into medicine, but I don’t know what specialty is right for me. I would like a career where I can tackle important problems and make people’s lives better. What do you guys think? Would this be the right specialty? I’m trying to figure out which one is right for me. #medicine #career #pediatrics #pediatrician #teaching

You can positively impact the lives of many people studying medicine, without specialization. Suggest that you start a medicine and find your way during the course. Stephanie Fernandes

4

JOHN’s Answer

Only you will be able to answer what is right for you. The good news is you have plenty of time to narrow down your options. If you are still in high school, volunteering at a hospital or job shadowing (When it is allowed again) would be something to consider. In the meantime, you might check out some virtual opportunities. Here is a link to some youtube videos that might help:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=careers+in+surgery

As you continue your education in college and medical school, you will have more opportunities to explore different specialties, so I would not worry about choosing too soon. The fact you have have selected medicine as a career path means you have already chosen an area where you can tackle important problems and help make lives better. You will be able to do that in any area of specialization. It is a challenging profession, but one that can be most rewarding. I wish you well as you progress toward your career goals.

0

Valeria’s Answer

Hi there! There are many great specialties in medicine! I’d recommend an internship/volunteer opportunity that allows you to rotate through different departments to see what interests you. Either way- no matter the specialty you must go to medical school! So along the way interning/volunteering can help get a feel for what you’re interested in :)

0

Estelle’s Answer

General Surgeons work very hard and save lives frequently. General Surgery would be a rewarding career. In your 3rd year of med school, you will have the chance to rotate through general surgery. Good luck!

0

General surgery can be very rewarding. Hopefully you will be able to find a mentor to shadow before medical school or your general surgery rotation in medical school will have a good variety of patients and cases so you can see the full spectrum of what a general surgeon does.

0