How much years of education do you need to be a pediatrician

7

I am asking this because i would love to know how many years i have infront of me #pediatrician #graduate-school #medical-school #healthcare #medicine #pediatrics

7

Abby’s Answer

1

Hi Stephane! I’m sorry no one’s answered your question yet. We're working hard to get it answered by Professionals with the best insights, but in the meantime I've included a link to a relevant Q&A here on CareerVillage.org that should be super helpful for you to read through.

Mayelin asked: How many years of school does it take to become a pediatrician?, and one of the Pros who answered it said:

After graduating from high school, a student that wants to become a Pediatrician must finish:

four years of college, four years of medical school, one year of a Pediatrics internship and two years of a Pediatrics residency. That adds up to about 11 years of school and training to become a Pediatrician. It is important to note that during your internship and residency years, while you are still learning, you are not really in school and are getting paid for your work...

Click the question to read more of what this Pro and others had to say!

Abby 

Community Management Intern at CareerVillage.org

1

Romita’s Answer

0

Hi!

so to become a pediatrician you’d need to complete a bachelors degree, so 4 years of undergraduate education, during which time you’ll take the MCAT which is the entrance exam for medical school. Medical school is 4 years, the first 2 of which are pre-clinical and the 3rd/4th are clinical. During medical school you’ll take 2 medical licensing exams. After medical school, a general pediatrics Residency is 3 years. During Residency you train under other pediatric physicians and you are working as a resident and learning pediatrics. After that you can either begin practicing as a general pediatrician or choose to do a fellowship to further sub-specialize. Being a pediatrician is such a rewarding career choice. I’d advise you, if you’d like to provide healthcare, to go ahead and choose medical school. The career path may be long (8 years of university-based education and 3 years of residency training) but at the end you’ll be knowledgeable in your field and a leader and a teacher and an advocate for kids, which is the best part.

0

Ruth’s Answer

0

****see Marc's answer

unless you do either:

> a 6-7 year college medical school combo. ( less time)

>a fellowship for specialty or research during training ( more time- amount varies)

another path to consider is- that a least one school my patients/students have told me about ( sorry I don't remember where- ? in PA-?)- has a program where you get your RN as premed and then go to med school for 4 yrs... ( something to think about- both for experience and decreased loans as you go).

Ruth recommends the following next steps:

• college
0

Thomas’s Answer

0
Should you decide to specialize such as pediatric cardiology, pediatric pulmonary medicine etc you would need to do several more years of training.
Also while you get "paid" during internship, residency and fellowship , that pay will not make you rich!
0

TONYA’s Answer

0

My experience was very typical. I completed my undergraduate work in 4 years making sure to complete all the prerequisites in the first 2 years of college. I immediately went to medical school and completed it in 4 years, not opting to take extra time to get a MPH, MBA nor Ph.D. In my last year I applied for and was accepted into a pediatric residency which is a 3 year program.

There are some schools that combine undergraduate and medical school into a 7 year program and there are many people now getting dual credit in high school who only need 2-3 years to complete their undergraduate work. All medical schools in the US and Canada are 4 year programs but many students opt to add a year in pursuit of an MBA or MPH. MD/Ph.D programs can run 7-9 years depending on the Ph.D work being done.

TONYA recommends the following next steps:

• Look into universities/colleges that offer a broad liberal arts education. Plan on taking medical school prerequisites, but don't worry if a school doesn't have a "premed" major.
0

Wanda’s Answer

0
To become a General Pediatrician you need 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school and 3 years of pediatric residency training. A total of 11 years after high school.
0

Bello’s Answer

0

Three years

0

Marc’s Answer

0
Hi - the quick answer is, 4 years or college, 4 years of medical school and 3 years of specific pediatric training (called "residency").
0

Sruthi’s Answer

0

I wanted to add that if you want to further specialize after Pediatrics residency (ie Pediatric Cardiology etc.) it is typically 3 additional years. Pediatrics is a great field for advocacy and preventative care . Good luck!

0