Can graduate students take a test to receive their Bachelor' or Masters Degree? If so, what kind of proceess does it take?

10

I am a non traditional student who is almost 40. I am working 4 different jobs so I can obtain my Bachelor's degree in Construction Management. I already have 17 years experience in the petrochemical industry in a variety of mechanical careers. The faster I can get through school the better off my family and I will be. #graduate-school #academic-advising #construction #construction-management

10

William’s Answer

1

Neisha -

I am not aware of a single test that can be taken as a substitute for an entire Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, or Engineering or Architecture for that matter. Its a little unclear whether you have started this education process or are planning to do so. Also, I am curious as to what research you may have been able to do on various universities in the area (or online) that offer these programs.

There are three fundamental elements to successful construction management - one is focused on satisfying the quality specifications put forth by the owner, the architect, engineers and other specialty consultants. The second is managing the flow -i.e., schedule - of work needed to assemble materials and install equipment at the site. The third element is cost.

Managing the technical specification aspects takes a lot of training in various engineered site and facility systems. Managing schedule and cost requires good math skills. And the math for estimating cost is a more direct calculation compared to the math associated with scheduling. Many people I know in our business find that scheduling software has become rather elaborate and complicated. I do not know your level of math skill - so it is difficult for me to recommend one over the other. A strategy that you might consider in the short run is gaining skill around managing cost through the estimating process - there seems to be a good level of need in the market for estimating skills.

Have you talked with any of your present employers on these types of options? You might do so, business activity is high and employers are generally excited when a team member strives to take on an area of knowledge and capability beyond their present assignment.

William recommends the following next steps:

• Recommend you focus on one of the three areas outlined above and pursue near term on-line training to do so - you can get the formal education also in time. That might take some time given your schedule and budget- not sure.
  • Pat yourself on the back for asking the questions you are asking - that's the right thing to do- show an interest in building your skills and your value to your employer and the industry.
  • Be a great leader in your home and community and demonstrate the value of life-long learning to the younger people in your life - it can really pay off in the long run.
  • My best wishes for your success and growth!
1

Daniel’s Answer

1

I am not sure if that is presently doable looking at the requirements for the loop of people like you. However, the best bet known so far is that you can take fewer classes in the degree curriculum that aligns with your work experience but it has to specified by the awarding school. Also, you might as well consult the right faculty in the school for more details. Thank you.

1

Stacy’s Answer

0
I don't believe there is any way around a Bachelor's in Construction Management outside of taking all of the required courses for a specific program. There is no test that will allow you to get your degree any faster.

Stacy recommends the following next steps:

• Talk to department chair at university
  • Talk to Guidance Counselor.
0

Jamie’s Answer

0

I'm not aware of a single test to get a degree.

In addition to testing out of a class by talking with the school (Prior Learning Assessment), you can take individual CLEP exams. Check if there are CLEP exams that will result in credit granted by whatever school you're studying at. Much less expensive and less time consuming than taking College courses.

https://clep.collegeboard.org/register

0

Jason’s Answer

0
There are many different programs based to fit many needs. Online classes , and what I call magnet schooling. Alot of times , when someone has a field , like a skilled trade they'd like to pursue there are fast paced alternatives geared towards those fields. Shop around , Google fast paced certificate programs etc. Many school advisors will give their honest opinion.
Asking questions is definitely the way to get answers. We are all human at the end of the day. My experience of recent times has been very informative talking to advisors of different institutions. Feel free to ask , it's what they do. Jason Johnson Translate
0

Ronald’s Answer

0

The short answer is ,no. Schools wouldn't be profitable. There would also be potential for gaps in training. For an educational establishment to allow you to forego training, it makes them liable and diminishes credibility. There is little replacement for traditional and contemporary training.

0

Patricia’s Answer

0

I don't know of a test that you can take to receive a degree. I know you can test out of each class/course that is required. That is how I finished my Associates Degree. I went to the Dean of the Dept and asked to "test out" of each class. I studied and was able to pass the class. I also substituted classes that were more relevent to my degree. Hope this helps.

0

Cleo’s Answer

0
Try western governors University. Since its self paced you might go faster with your background. Good luck!
0

Hilda’s Answer

0
I do not believe there is a test.

However, there are online programs that have both Bachelor's and Master's Degrees. Arizona State University has a very highly regarded program.

Some community colleges can also have four year bachelors programs tied to their traditional two year programs within career and technical education (CTE) tracts. Your two year AA degree can also be the start of a pathway to your final degree.

Local colleges and universities have professional development programs that offer a Bachelor's degree as well. UCLA's extension program has a program with online courses as an example.

While life experience is a benefit to the employer, colleges have a certain curricula that they need to adhere to for licensure. From my experience, this is a harder process within programs that have traditional classes - there will be a host of paperwork to fill out to get the life experience counted. Make sure that the college you are attending has the mechanisms in place to accept alternative educational experiences (like internships) to make your work experiences count.

Best bet is to contact your career advisor within the school you are attending to obtain specific information about your region.

I doubt you will find a test but you will find some creative solutions to speed up your process.

Good Luck.
0

Amenyonah’s Answer

0
I agree with Stacey. Obtaining a degree requires completing the developed course material at the college or University. However, it may be possible to test out of classes due to your experience, certificates or trainings. Therefore seeking guidance from the univeristy VP or guidance counselor is wise to determine the fastest way to accomplish your goal.
0

Devesh’s Answer

0

Personally not aware of any test to receive Bachelor or Masters in construction, but post Engineering, Construction Manager's role is to relate best among

1. Schedule,
  2. Quality and
  3. Cost

Small courses are available in market for Project Management, provided the recipient has base knowledge of

1. Construction,
  2. Interdependence & Co-relation of various construction activities,
  3. Cost, Quality & Schedule of all activities.
0