38
Updated 3367 views

What is the best study habit to have for any class?

The reason why because I don't have a consistent study habit.#study-tips #studying #academic-advising #time-management #study-skills

Thank you comment icon Take good notes. That doesn’t just mean writing down whatever the teacher says and being done. Theres more to note taking than that. Try writing questions you have in the margins while taking notes. Go back after class and see if you can find the answers for the questions you noted. And above all, review your notes. Reread them, and even rewrite them if that helps. The more times you go over your notes, the more you will remember. Next make practice test questions. Hannah Culberson
Thank you comment icon I agree with Hannah, reviewing your notes is a great idea . I would suggest doing this every week (if not after each class). You can write a summary of what you learned for someone else. Explaining and teaching the subject is a great way to learn! Lynn Kim, PhD. Anthropologist Archaeologist
Thank you comment icon Hannah and Lynn have given you great advice. I would add by reminding you that learning is a cumulative process. Day by day, learn and grow. If you are reading over your notes and find that something does not make sense, ask a question in the next class. Cathyann Donovan Tully

38

2

Imelda’s Answer

Hello,
First of all- I want to congratulate you on reaching out for help, not everybody does. You have gotten lots of good advice so I will keep it easy for you to remember. Just remember C.U.B.S!as you read.

C- circle important information and concepts.
U- underline information or terms that you need clarification for
B- box important conclusions
S- write your reaction to each section on sticky notes (which can help you later to write summaries, organize essays, or answer prompts)
!- or highlight problems or issues

Make sure you write the page number on the sticky notes just in case they " unstick" from the page. You can use this method to any subject. I hope this helps and good luck to you.
Thank you comment icon I love this advice. Short, sweet and easy to remember. Cindy Dickerson, Ph.D., PMP
2
1

Lilith’s Answer

I'm currently a college sophomore and still struggle with this myself. But, when I find myself in a slump I try to keep my motivation high by reminding myself what I'm working towards - no matter how small the assignment or project. What also helps is to find a personal interest in what you're working on. Do you feel like you want to know more? Are you excited by the results of your work? If you have something you want to work towards it makes it easier to get through the mundane tasks you may have to do in order to get there.

On a day to day basis setting alarms for yourself and making a calendar has SAVED my grades countless times. If I have something due in a week or so I'll set reminders on my phone as the due date approaches, helping a lot with my time management. Study habits can vary from person to person (i.e. I can't get anything done if I'm not working alone) but hopefully some of this advice can help!

Lilith recommends the following next steps:

Relax, get your area set up to study in (the study beats radio on YouTube is great for this)
Try to find something that interests YOU about your work, try to make it a personal project if possible / something you care about
Always look over any of your work, if you budget your time you'll be able to ask questions and revise as you go along
Don't be afraid to reach out or show your work to a peer or professor (they're usually more than happy to help)
Forgive yourself for any mistakes or misunderstandings. We all miss due dates and deadlines, and sometimes we produce work we're less than proud of, but take these set-backs in stride. At the end of the day, the work you put in is worth it for the opportunities you'll have !
1
1

Kalin’s Answer

Hi Donovan! Even though each person studies better with certain techniques, I have personally found that repetition is key. When I was in college, if I knew I had an exam in the next week, I would study each and every day for the exam for around 2-3 hours per day. It may seem like a lot at first, but once you get in the routine of it, it becomes quite easy! Also re-wording your notes in class/paraphrasing what the teacher says is a good way to understand the material in a more clear sense.

Another great tool to utilize is Quizlet to make notecards/do review games. I also liked making study groups where me and friends would go and work on similar assignments or study guides together. Having friends explain things to you or even you teaching them helps to reinforce the knowledge you already have.
1
1

Karen’s Answer

I would suggest first finding out what kind of learner you are.

There are plenty of quizzes like this one: https://arden.ac.uk/what-type-learner-are-you

but you can also just notice what helps you pay attention? what things are you interested in? what is easiest to remember? For instance, I know I am an audio-visual learner, so reading a textbook was really hard for me. I instead had audiobooks on while I played minecraft, thus implementing the Method of Loci:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci#:~:text=The%20method%20of%20loci%20(loci,palace%2C%20or%20mind%20palace%20technique.

This allowed me to remember information, and by going through the places I was in my minecraft world, I was reminded of what the textbook was saying while I was there.
1
1

Amy’s Answer

In order to improve your study habits I would suggest reviewing notes and dates for assignments and upcoming quizzes, tests and presentations after every class. This way you can plan ahead.

Every day, I would review the material that was presented in class to make sure you have an understanding. If you don't understanding something, seek out assistance from the instructor, another student, tutor, etc.

It is great idea to organize study groups with fellow students. You might be able to add something that another student doesn't know and vice versa.

I think the best advice is to stay on top of your work, understanding of the concepts, upcoming tests, deadlines, etc. Make a conscious effort to be prepared and learn as you go. Good luck!

Amy recommends the following next steps:

Review notes and dates for assignments and upcoming quizzes, tests and presentations after every class.
1
0

ranjan’s Answer

class and student friendly environment

0
0

TERENCE’s Answer

Interact! Ask questions! Communicate!
0
0

Erik’s Answer

I would review your notes before you go to bed every night. If something seems important and you think it will be on a test or you need to know it, I would put more energy around it. Putting the important details on index cards so you can quickly review it at a later time is invaluable.
0
0

Abby’s Answer, CareerVillage.org Team

Hi Donovan! I think part of your question was answered here: https://www.careervillage.org/questions/24160/what-is-the-best-way-to-develop-good-study-habits
0
0

Martha’s Answer

Be encouraged. Reliable Sources

0
0

Brian’s Answer

The best studying method is to always focus and take notes as you proceed with reading. Ask questions frequently. Do not proceed with anything without understanding well what you are studying. Learn the art of reading more books and researching. It is essential to have the desire to acquire more knowledge while studying.

Brian recommends the following next steps:

Read more books
Ask questions where necessary
Research more on several topics.
0
0

Komal’s Answer

First and foremost you need to know that why are you doing this? Why are you studying? When you get that reason then that will only push you . Once you find it out write it on a chart paper and paste it at place where you can easily see it every now and then. This will remind you and motivate you to study. Trust me this really works. So just try it out and if it works then lemme know☺️
0
0

Jerry’s Answer

study with certain songs to certain sections. the music brings to mind what the information was. so during a test and need to remember a section. remember the song and play it in your head.  that information will be easier to remember.

0
0

Porsha’s Answer

For me school did not come easy. So each day after school I would rewrite my class notes and study it while it is still fresh. I also put most of the information i used for test I wold put the question on note cards so i could quiz myself whenever I had free time.

0
0

alexis’s Answer

Write down any important notes and put that into your own study guide or make a powerpoint & look over it until you remember everything.

0
0

Anna’s Answer

While there is no one unique study habit that is more important or effective than others, I would suggest that you preview class material. Based on your syllabus, you will know what your next class will be about. If your course has any reading assigned/related to the topic of that lecture, reading/viewing that material before you attend the lecture will be time well spent. It will help you understand the material better, ask more informed questions in class, be able to focus on things you don't understand well and, ultimately, help you remember the material.

Generally working consciously to improve your study skills and habits is a commendable endeavor. I'd recommend the Learning How to Learn course offered by Coursera.org. You can learn more about this course from this New York Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/education/edlife/learning-how-to-learn-barbara-oakley.html

Anna recommends the following next steps:

preview class reading material BEFORE each lecture
read https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/education/edlife/learning-how-to-learn-barbara-oakley.html
enroll in https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
0
0