What kind of college do I need to go to if I want to become a dance instructor

Would I need to go to a 4 year college? 2 year? 8 year?
I want to know because that is what one of my main goals is because I've always loved dancing and helping others so it's a perfect fit for me. dance dance-education dancers

2
Pros
2
0

Deborah R.’s Answer

Here is a brief question: have you considered helping people by becoming a Dance/Movement Therapist? You would probably have to also become a social worker or get an EdD because there is still no license to practice as a Dance/Movement Therapist, it is a certification, not a license. In order to be covered by insurance you would have to be licensed.

On the other hand you can always help people by teaching dance. You might want to look into attending a college that has a a good dance department and major in dance.

Good luck.
0

Kalani’s Answer

Hi Halea,

I received my BFA in Dance at UC Santa Barbara. I learned about a program called Dance Education Laboratory at 92nd Street Y in New York City, which was a few week course that I attended and learned how to teach dance in schools and make dance accessible to every child. This was a very helpful course- though I attended school for performance, I was able to learn a lot about how to teach dance. Many colleges offer varying degrees related to dance- choreography, performance teaching, etc.

0